PDA

View Full Version : How do you do it?

daisysmiles4you
01-20-2013, 03:25 PM
How do you guys choose what to get in sales? There is so much that looks good and I have so little. I keep drooling over kits now that I've made my first layout (and my first siggie). My head is whirling as I try to decide what to get! If only I could get rid of all my bills.....

A question, though - I've tried searching and I'm not really finding a whole lot (not that I expected to) but can anyone point me in the direction of kit(s) for Aunts to use? I see a ton for Moms and Dads - but he's not my kid! I searched nephew and found one kit (and I'm not exactly sure why....) and aunt and found a lot of Halloween stuff (most likely cause if you add an h you get haunt). I saw the family tree one, but that's not exactly right. Nothing with fave nephew or anything. A lot of that's my little boy and such. If there's nothing I"ll just keep stalking the store and releases and crossing my fingers, but I figured I'd ask just in case my search methods are inadequate.

Thanks everyone!!

Jacque
01-20-2013, 04:29 PM
usually things that specific r hard to find ANYWHERE! but what i do is use a kit i like and make WA or put in a request for WA. that is easier than a whole kit and with some tips its not hard to learn to make WA :) this then opens u up to so many more kits to use

missdamsel
01-20-2013, 04:53 PM
Very true!! And you can put in requests here: http://forums.gingerscraps.net/forumdisplay.php?30-Suggestion-Box Not that all requests are filled, but we have a couple great ladies that do WONDERFUL word Art and when I see requests that would fit well with a particular designer I let them know! I hope that helps, I could use some great Nephew word art as well!!

msbrad
01-20-2013, 10:59 PM
I 'understand' the dilemma you are having about "aunts". Here is my suggestion [dang- always have an opinion]
Forget the mostly "themed" kits...Instead, go with: the colors that coordinate with your photos, kits that go with the 'season' of your photos or pics that go with an event [birthday, Christmas, the beach.....]
THEN-
just add text!!!
Inspired Designs here has some awesome family text or just use a font and create your own.

You wil be fine.
m

Ambelleina
01-20-2013, 11:22 PM
Honestly, I sort by prices and see what's the best in the cheapest range! That way I can pick a few more things and keep within a sensible scrapping budget. Since we have the new buffet unveiling and bake sale at the beginning of the month, I like to traipse through the bake sale (1-5 of the month) and snag some good finds. I know what style I like and which designers do that style, so I go to their individual shops and search for sales/good deals.

Have you gone through the welcome wagon and downloaded every thing our designers have as freebies for new forum members? That gives a pretty good feel for their styles and might help you hone in on what you want during sales!

Colleen
01-21-2013, 12:55 AM
Exactly what I was going to say! I pick a kit based on the colors and how it matched my photos. Then I will use word art to make the layout mine if need be. If the layout is really theme specific - the zoo, Disney, the beach, museums... I will look for a themed kit for those. As for deciding what to buy. I usually wait for it to go on sale. I think I have bought maybe 1-2 kits that weren't on sale. Let me tell you I had an internal struggle before I clicked on purchase. I am sure they sat in my cart for a week too. I even debate when the kit is on sale. I am really cost effective! Haha
I 'understand' the dilemma you are having about "aunts". Here is my suggestion [dang- always have an opinion]
Forget the mostly "themed" kits...Instead, go with: the colors that coordinate with your photos, kits that go with the 'season' of your photos or pics that go with an event [birthday, Christmas, the beach.....]
THEN-
just add text!!!
Inspired Designs here has some awesome family text or just use a font and create your own.

You wil be fine.
m

Colleen
01-21-2013, 12:57 AM
Like Christina said - the bake sale and buffet are awesome ways to add to your supplies every month at great prices too.

The designers are also retiring lots of awesome kits right now at phenomenal deals - you should check that out too! ;)

Sarah
01-21-2013, 02:04 AM
The designers are also retiring lots of awesome kits right now at phenomenal deals - you should check that out too! ;)
Trust me, she is ;)
She keeps asking ME which to get. I'm not a good judge. I go "Buy all the kits" both literally and figuratively hehe

msbrad
01-21-2013, 02:04 AM
Like Christina said - the bake sale and buffet are awesome ways to add to your supplies every month at great prices too.

yes - this too.
AND... the wonderful designers here at GS have awesome welcome treats.

m

daisysmiles4you
01-21-2013, 03:40 AM
Oh yes, I hit the welcome wagon. I'm sorry - I really wasn't thinking a whole aunt/nephew/niece themed kit - just something that might have that type of thing hidden away in them. I'm still not sure what everything is and I have one layout I've never used text in. And I'm even less sure on word art. lol. Next weekend's project, I guess. I've been debating for days on the whole retirement sales.

And Sarah, I only asked if it would be worth it to get all the essentials - my biggest debate. :p

I have all these lovely coupon codes from the welcome wagon, though some don't seem to work. I also follow everyone on FB, though I'm hesitant on clogging my inbox with emails so I'm debating that.

Thanks for the suggestion on the suggestions! I'll have to hit that section up - but as I need to put clothes away and get to sleep, it won't happen till Friday. I work four very long days (especially when we have overtime which we do at least on Monday) so I'll probably do it then.

Thank you all so much for your comments and suggestions! You are all so nice and helpful and I appreciate it! :heartshape1:

Jacque
01-21-2013, 03:47 AM
the coupons should work but u have to add them one at a time PER designer and any stipulations they have. usually collabs don't count. if they r not working u can check with the designer and let them know there is an issue. if u get to where u want to learn how to make WA just ask...there r several of us who can give u some pointers.

daisysmiles4you
01-21-2013, 04:39 AM
I tried one and it told me it was invalid - tried several times and gave up. But I certainly haven't tried them all. I've been in and out all weekend so no time. Somehow I went from having tons of time to do stuff to having no time to do stuff! Ugh. I think I need another restart. I can't wait for funds to free up to get a new laptop. Time for bed...although as much as I should I probably won't get there immediately.

Ambelleina
01-21-2013, 04:54 AM
Hmm, if it is a welcome wagon coupon, it may have expired and the designer has not yet been made aware of the issue! Leave a note in that thread that the coupon isn't working and it will get fixed lickety-split! :)

StarWarsFans
01-21-2013, 03:07 PM
I didn't read all the replies, but to narrow down what kits to buy, look at your photos! Do you have a lot of Christmas pics to scrap? Are you scrapping mostly boy pics or girls? Is there a certain theme that pops up a lot in your photos? Do you just need some generic items that will work with any photo? Then give yourself a budget and limit yourself to just the the things on your checklist (for now!).

prettyingreen
01-21-2013, 03:54 PM
i started out digiscrapping with some freebies and then started desinging my own needs then ended up on my first CT which helped a ton thats when i started to scrap more for the matching colors vs theme, tho i do love a good theme.

Jacque
01-21-2013, 07:04 PM
also make sure u r logged in :)