PDA

View Full Version : DH is in trouble

Tree City
01-19-2013, 04:34 AM
Without telling me, my DH downgraded our internet speed to the. slowest. they. sell.
So, how do I find out? I click on the Download Links for Winter Romance (http://store.gingerscraps.net/Monthly-Mix-Winter-Romance.html), the Monthly Mix (<---- go check out the kit if you haven't yet!), and OMG, it says "1 hour" to DL one of the links (I'd clicked on 3...the other 2 said like 30 minutes each). So I just grumble to DH "What the heck? Why is this so slow?!" And he just shrugs and says "Oh, I downgraded our internet. It's not a big deal." NOT A BIG DEAL?! I'm an impatient woman. Very impatient. I don't have an hour to wait for stuff to DL when it used to take like 3 minutes to DL! :36_1_37: So, if I'm not around, it's because I'm selling plasma, a kidney, and whatever else I can so that we can get our 1.3MB/sec speed back! lol

charmedeebob
01-19-2013, 08:16 AM
Um, no. Not cool. Into the hole with him!!!! Hope you don't have to sell too many body parts to get it back!

Angelclaud
01-19-2013, 08:25 AM
I would be p****d too if DH downgraded my Internet speed without discussing it with me. Hope that you'll get your faster speed back soon!

Tree City
01-19-2013, 03:49 PM
I can't believe how annoyed I am about this. I know I don't "need" fast internet lol. It's a want, not a need! :) But I think DH doesn't understand why I want faster internet: I'm a SAHM, whose family lives over 1,000 miles away. Some days the only interaction I have with other adults is by computer, so of course I want my email to load quickly! :) And I want things to DL quickly so I can click every DL link at once instead of clicking one at a time over a period of hours--I don't have the patience to worry about checking the DL status.
And yes, I realize that the internet used to be dial-up modems and very very slow. But that doesn't mean I can't want my fast interwebs back lol. :)

missdamsel
01-19-2013, 05:32 PM
luckily with hubbs being in IT and a gamer I don't think I will have to worry about this (Although he tried to do away with internet when we moved!!). We even keep him on wired internet so my DL ing won't slow his game down!

I feel for ya Sara, we could start a help Sara keep her fast interwebs FB page!! Then we could let others pay for your interwebs instead of you selling body parts!! Oooooh, we could get a collab together to sell. :)

Tree City
01-19-2013, 05:51 PM
lol Missi, that cracked me up! :) He has super fast speed at work and he doesn't DL anything at home. I think he just didn't understand that I DL probably 2 to 10GB per week (depending on CT reqs and good ol' DS sales lol). :) Plus there's streaming music and I watch Netflix on my computer/Wii. HELLO, I need fast internet! Shouldn't a guy be happy that his wife wants faster internet speed? (Shoot, I wanted a 55" flat screen and he only wanted 36". The guy at Best Buy was like "Dude, listen to your wife on this." LOL! We compromised on 40" with a promise we'd get a projector screen when we buy a house.)

Sarah
01-19-2013, 06:10 PM
I'm so thankful I don't have to deal with that. If anything, Josh would hook me up with the faster internet.

Tree City
01-19-2013, 06:26 PM
Sarah, want to trade husbands? Our names (although spelled differently) are the same, so they wouldn't even have to learn a new name! hehe I'm going to call today and get a faster speed. If he can "turn it down" without telling me, then I can turn it back up without telling him! :nerd:

Sarah
01-19-2013, 06:27 PM
Nah, no thanks. I like my Josh. :D
Good luck!

Jacque
01-19-2013, 06:57 PM
Sara...nothing personal but i doubt i'd be on the list to help pay for better service. i can't afford my own. i pay almost $100 per month for very very very slow internet and can only use 10g a MONTH unless i want to DL between 1-7am!!!!!! and watch netflix or a movie...heck i can't even watch a 2 min YouTube video without loading it, pausing it for about 30 mins til it fully loads :(

but i'll help with yours if u can get me real internet where i live!!! its only 100 yards from my house and everyone says too bad!!!! arghhhh

do hope u get it back on fast again though...it definitely does suck :)

StarWarsFans
01-19-2013, 07:25 PM
I'm so thankful I don't have to deal with that. If anything, Josh would hook me up with the faster internet.

Ditto. In fact, my DH did and I didn't even notice. Apparently faster Internet doesn't do you much good if your computer can't keep up with it. LOL!

mamaape
01-19-2013, 07:26 PM
Same here, my husband will go without many other things before he rids himself of the top speed internet whatever. I'm spoiled in that sense I suppose.

Sarah
01-19-2013, 07:32 PM
Same here, my husband will go without many other things before he rids himself of the top speed internet whatever. I'm spoiled in that sense I suppose.

Mine would do it to stop me from complaining XD

Tree City
01-19-2013, 08:19 PM
all joking aside, DH is a good guy (and I wouldn't really trade him lol). But I was just surprised he did it without telling me.

prettyingreen
01-19-2013, 10:05 PM
get him hooked on an xbox game LOL we have slow internet because of where we live oh i wish wish wish we could get faster but even the internet people said we're lucky to get what we get. I'm not allowed to touch the net when hes playing a game, lol i'm pretty thankful for the ipad and the 3g network when he decides to play a game lol

StarWarsFans
01-19-2013, 10:26 PM
DH works for our local IP, so we get our 12 MB service for free. I think that one job perk saves us approximately $75 a month. I really hope he never changes jobs. LOL!

prettyingreen
01-20-2013, 12:57 AM
that is awesome tricia!!

Tree City
01-20-2013, 05:46 AM
Tricia, that is an awesome job perk! :)
Jacque, those limits stink!
And Rachel, at least you have 3G--better than nothing, huh? :)

nutsaboutgabe
01-20-2013, 01:25 PM
I'd be upset if my DH did it without discussing it with me. Does it save that much money? We had considering switching our service provider from one provider to another and I told my husband I didn't want to because it would be leaving cable Internet and going to DSL. I'm not a fan. If it were less $...maybe I would consider it, but it's the same $. I pay the bills anyway and my DH is very much hands off in the bill paying category.

all joking aside, DH is a good guy (and I wouldn't really trade him lol). But I was just surprised he did it without telling me.

Ricki
01-20-2013, 02:06 PM
It seems only my DH doesn't go NEAR a computer!

So I have my Mac, [her name is Berta], ALL to my-happy-self :D

daisysmiles4you
01-20-2013, 04:07 PM
No husband here and I pay for and decide the internet speeds. Not that I really understand it all (I've never cared enough to look into it). I just have to make sure Mom has all her tv stations. Our issue is that our cable modem gets a weak signal since it's on a line that's branched off what is apparently a branched off cable line. *sigh* I'd love to move it to a line with a stronger signal. Then only issue is that it has to be in the room so Mom's desktop can hook into the router. If only I could make her desktop wireless.... It will be years before she gets a new one. I definitely understand the need for speed and although I'm not a fan of the cost, I don't ever consider doing without it. The question is, I suppose, is will your DH notice the change in speeds.....before the bill comes in?

missdamsel
01-20-2013, 04:15 PM
Krissy, you should check into these power internet thingies (technical term, I swear!!). In the apartment DH and I shared and office and were both hard wired, not we are separate and my desktop is not wireless. He bought this thingie at Best Buy (I will see if I can find it and post a link) where you just plug it into the wall and into the computer (1 at each computer and wala!! Internet appears!! Let me go look for the link....

missdamsel
01-20-2013, 04:33 PM
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=belkin+powerline+adapter&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=3922947115&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=635268820398434538&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&ref=pd_sl_161kqj27tr_e here is what we bought. Works great!! We bough the Belkin one at Best buy, biut there are lots of brands and lots of places you can get them.

daisysmiles4you
01-20-2013, 04:43 PM
Thanks Missi! I'll have to try to figure that out. I don't have the time at the moment for a close look, but it looks promising. (Sorry about the thread jacking!) I'll have to look later...I actually have a write in I'm trying to hit this afternoon. Though the howling wind, the pouting puppy, and the sad-eyed kitten all are telling me to stay home.

scrapjrlgcp
01-20-2013, 05:33 PM
Sara I really hope you got your fast internet back...i would hate having such slow speeds that you could not even dl the MM:( I am glad he told you why it was being slow instead of just acting like he had no clue what was going on :)

Tree City
01-21-2013, 04:37 AM
I'd be upset if my DH did it without discussing it with me. Does it save that much money? We had considering switching our service provider from one provider to another and I told my husband I didn't want to because it would be leaving cable Internet and going to DSL. I'm not a fan. If it were less $...maybe I would consider it, but it's the same $. I pay the bills anyway and my DH is very much hands off in the bill paying category.

oh, I'm sure it's just about money! Or rather, since he doesn't really need high speed internet at home, he doesn't think we need to spend money on it. He just wasn't thinking about what *I* use it for, even though he sees me scrapping/writing/etc like every day lol! (Maybe he didn't realize how big some kits are?) I totally forgot to call today but I told DH that I was going to change it. He pays the bill so he'd see the price. He said he'll call tomorrow--and I told him that if he didn't, I'd call to upgrade the speed AND our cable package. LOL!

Tree City
01-21-2013, 04:38 AM
Krissy, I was going to mention the Belkin thingy that Missi mentioned. Hopefully you can figure something out. Darn those old non-wireless desktops! ;)

daisysmiles4you
01-21-2013, 04:44 AM
I know. Now we have to save up for it! Mom's for it since getting the internet out of that loop will get rid of one of the branches and improve her picture. It will have to wait until after the trip to Dubai for Mom to meet her grandson. Definitely more important!

Nice move with the cable upgrade threat. I would probably still forget to call. My memory isn't the best. I still do that whole if I don't see it I can totally forget it exists! A possible silver lining - you'll really appreciate the high speed of the high speed internet? :D

trina513
01-21-2013, 04:02 PM
Yes our internet was switched to a diff company (a year or so ago now?! i dont remember when - it feelsl ike its been forever!) - with the promise of cheaper rates and same speed - what a bunch of BS!! My internet has been so spotty and not trust worty and slow and frustrating! Its annoying!!! I cant wait until the "2 year contract" is over and we can go back to the old provider!!

Neverland Scraps
01-21-2013, 09:09 PM
Oh no! Im so sorry this has happened to you! When we lived in GA, we paid of the best speeds, however we were lucky if we had dial-up speeds. It would literally take me an hour to download anything over 30mb. I hated it. Its a little bit faster here in D.C., but I also pay almost double the price I was paying in GA! :O I understand it taking a long time to download. Most days Im lucky if I can get a kit downloaded in a half-hour to an hour if my internet doesn't time out or we lose it completely.

Good luck getting your fast speeds back!!

Tree City
01-22-2013, 02:25 AM
Well, DH is out of the dog house lol. He called at got the speed bumped up (on a promo, so it's FREE!) and he got free HBO for 3 months. YEA! So, I guess I'll keep him around a little longer. ;)
Trina, I disliked your post because (1) the bad internet would just be annoying and (2) a TWO-year contract?! Yuck. I hope it gets better--like, they improve the service or something!
Wendy, I can't imagine having spotty internet. Slow is OK cuz at least you can get stuff DLed (eventually), but to have it just go out would drive me NUTS.

Neverland Scraps
01-22-2013, 04:48 AM
Wendy, I can't imagine having spotty internet. Slow is OK cuz at least you can get stuff DLed (eventually), but to have it just go out would drive me NUTS.

We dealt with spotty internet/cable for three years while living in GA. they (The cable company) told us that it was due to the solar flares :O
So now here in D.C. we are kind of used to it. It gets old sometimes, especially when Im talking with someone that I've not talked to in a long time or trying to pay a bill. But my parents understand when they call and we get disconnected. They know to try again. If they still can't get me, then I call them back when the internet comes back on. Its a pain, but really...what do you do when there is only one company contracted for that military base?!

Oh we have vonage, which is why the phone keeps going out as its linked to the internet. The worst is cable. It usually goes out with less than 10 minutes left of a tv show. I hate that, especially if its Criminal Minds and you can't watch that online unless you pay to do so! But like I said, for the most part, we've dealt with it for a few years. While it does stink, its better than nothing......

SweetLittleNothingness
01-22-2013, 05:30 AM
This thread just cracked me up! So glad you got it fixed! Are we all crazy, digi-loving nuts or what?! :) ...glad to know I"m not the only one that goes a lil crazy when I can't DL as fast as I!!! think I should be able to-lol!

daisysmiles4you
01-22-2013, 07:06 AM
I so totally agree! I want it to be instant. I'm also not sure I could handle spotty internet service. But that's not the worst computer related thing in my life. It's when my Mom calls (or when we were together, my ex-boyfriend) on my 15 minute break at work when I don't have a computer and want me to figure out what is wrong with whatever program/internet/password/ipad/printer problem they're having. I can't even see what the screen says so how can I solve it in less than 15 minutes (it takes a few to get on and off the floor, for the phone to connect, etc.)? I appreciate that she has faith in my computer abilities (as overrated as they may be), but really - I'm a data entry person, not an it guru with a psychic connection to whatever system is causing problems! At least Penny never asks me to fix computer problems. Of course, she's a cat so not using the computer as anything other than a nice warm seat!

Last time we got a cable package we ended up with free premium channels for a while that we didn't know we had (so we never actually watched them) and didn't realize when they became unfree - other than the bill going up. And we had issues accessing the bills and understanding the gobblygook so it was a while before we discovered it and got rid of them. Next step is to unearth the cable modem I own, see if it will work, and return the one we're "renting" from them. Every little bit helps!

Glad to hear DH redeemed himself. That was an important thing for him to do!

Tree City
01-22-2013, 03:51 PM
This thread just cracked me up! So glad you got it fixed! Are we all crazy, digi-loving nuts or what?! :) ...glad to know I"m not the only one that goes a lil crazy when I can't DL as fast as I!!! think I should be able to-lol!
Yup, we are all crazy, digi-loving nuts. :) I know I sound silly complaining about slow internet, but I knew my GS friends would understand. :)

JillW
01-22-2013, 05:06 PM
Yea - Sara has speedy internet again! I'd have gone crazy too ... I pay the internet bills around here, so I won't ever have to worry about something like that! LOL! Glad you are back among the speedsters Sara!

Ayla
01-23-2013, 12:44 AM
Oh, I would SO not be happy about that either! My DH loves fast connections as much as I do though, so he's happy to keep what we have.

scrappydoo82
01-27-2013, 03:53 AM
wow lol. I am the account holder for our internet so I am glad hubs can't do that to me. I'd totally be cancelling some magazines and stuff he gets lol.

Jacque
01-27-2013, 05:35 AM
sara so glad u have your fast speed back :) i think i find it most irritating being in the US and not being able to get hi speed in so many places. my internet keeps going down for apprx. 14 hrs then comes back on but can take 5 mins. to load ONE PAGE!!!! (this does however make people happy as i'm much quieter LOL) arguing with the company as they came out to fix it once but it messed up a few hours later and they want me to pay them to fix their equipment. i think NOT. so thinking of switching companies but still will be on satellite so not going to change much :(

hmmmmm maybe if it was faster i'd get more done OFFline ;)

Terra
01-27-2013, 07:26 AM
Oh No!!! I think I'd kill Iain if she downgraded our internet!

Tree City
01-28-2013, 02:22 PM
oh, I've heard bad things about satellite, Jacque. But I guess sometimes-internet is better than NO internet?