PDA

View Full Version : Recipes for Diabetics?

scrappydoo82
01-09-2013, 11:30 PM
Does anyone have a good website for recipes? My friend of the family is coming to visit in a couple weeks and he is diabetic. I really don't want to cook something while he is here that he shouldn't have.

nikkiecole71
01-09-2013, 11:34 PM
Oh good question. Hubby is type 2 and I'm pre diabetic. I can never figure out what to cook.

scrappydoo82
01-09-2013, 11:41 PM
I would probably be lost trying to figure that on out on a daily basis.

Oh good question. Hubby is type 2 and I'm pre diabetic. I can never figure out what to cook.

trina513
01-10-2013, 02:25 AM
Hopefully Missi will see this - her daughter is diabetic - maybe she'll have some good recipes for you gals!

Ambelleina
01-10-2013, 02:59 AM
I was going to say, I'm sure Missi has some!

My grandfather was diabetic, as is my father and many other members of my family--eep. As such, I try to go along some diabetic cooking guidelines since it's all over my family on both sides.

Avoid white starchy foods (breads, potatoes, rice) and most sugars, including fake chemical 'sugars.' I think if you just keep a few rules in mind, you'll find you can prepare almost anything. Besides, anyone can eat almost anything in moderation.

Good luck! :)

PerfectGoal
01-11-2013, 10:24 AM
I think mayoclinic.com and tasteofhome.com will help you. You can find many tasty recipes there including desserts and beverages.

missdamsel
01-11-2013, 02:03 PM
Awww, thanks for thinking about me guys!! Are you ready for this?? I have NO diabetic recipes! I know, hard to believe, but it is true. My daughter, just like MOST diabetics, eats a normal diet.

Now, if they are on an insulin regimine they should be able to eat anything and just give insulin for the carbs they eat. If they are not on insulin or on and older insulin regimine they may need to watch carbs and sugars a bit (lets call this a limited diet). A great place for healthy recipes for anyone is www.skinnytaste.com (http://www.skinnytaste.com). This website also provides carb counts which EVERY diabetic needs to know. If they are on a limited diet (as Rachel was when she was diagnosed almost 15 years ago) the rule of thumb is to make sure the sugars is less than 1/2 of the total carbs. If the total carbs are 20 then the sugar should be less than 10 (or close to 10). Again, as has already been said, grains, breads and pastas turn into sugar and should be watched if they are on a limited diet.

I hope this helps some. If you have specific questions or can find out if they are on a limited diet, let me know and I can get some more info to you!

scrappydoo82
01-12-2013, 11:50 PM
Thanks! I always remember my grandma going out and buying recipe books when she found out she was borderline. I never really remember her limiting anything but my dad's friend mentioned that he couldn't eat hubs BBQ sauce because of the sugar in it... it had me thinking what else he couldn't have. He is nearly 60 so I am thinking it's probably limited

SandyPie
01-13-2013, 03:47 AM
My Hubs is diabetic and I just try to limit the starches and added sugars. (It's easy to forget but milk and cream have a lot of sugars in them too.) Also I try to supplement the higher carb things by bumping up the fiber in things with beans and veggies. And using whole grain flour in bread, as much as we can tolerate with it tasting like cardboard. These are great resources, I'm so glad you asked.

missdamsel
01-13-2013, 04:28 AM
The age makes sense. Many of your older people with diabetes are still in the old school mindset. My sister in law has not changed her diabetes care plan (despite WONDERFUL advances in diabetes care) in probably 55 years!!

Thanks! I always remember my grandma going out and buying recipe books when she found out she was borderline. I never really remember her limiting anything but my dad's friend mentioned that he couldn't eat hubs BBQ sauce because of the sugar in it... it had me thinking what else he couldn't have. He is nearly 60 so I am thinking it's probably limited

Jacque
01-13-2013, 05:00 AM
i'd love to help but unfortunately probably everything i eat should be avoided by people with diabetes! i may not have it but its still not healthy but i have a sugar addiction like nobody's business. when we can get good fruit i'll eat that instead but that doesn't happen often in TN :(