PDA

View Full Version : Creative Chaos - Smash book style

MamaCake
12-27-2012, 06:34 PM
Hey ya'll - any Smashers here? I fell in love with the idea of a smash book but wanted a theme or project to try it with so put it off for some time. Then I fell in love with the Recollections Creative Chaos line at Michaels - link. (http://www.michaels.com/Creative-Chaos/products-scrapbooking-recollections-creativechaos,default,sc.html)
I love it because a)they are a little cheaper than Smash brand and b)3 ring binder! You can can add pages and remove and rearrange in a snap!
So I got a few things and now I'm in love and I want more!! I live 3 1/2 hours from the nearest Michaels :'( I had no idea you couldn't purchase this type of thing online(or am I missing something?) Anyone know where I could get more of this yummy stuff online??

Sarah
12-27-2012, 10:56 PM
I've seen stuff at Walmart [I'll take pics if I remember on Sunday]. I'll be using them with my Project Life compatible Memory Logbook (http://logyourmemory.com/shop/mini-2013-memory-logbook-project-life-compatible-edition-print/) :D I'm EVENTUALLY (before 2013) gonna do a small intro/review of it for my vlog.

Sarah
12-27-2012, 10:58 PM
Amazon has the Smashbook stuff for pretty cheap (and looking at that, it's what Walmart has): http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Smashbook

Walmart (which can also be ordered online, from what I can tell, unless otherwise stated :D): http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?_rel=sas+book&search_constraint=0&search_query=k%26company&rq=true

Lisa
12-27-2012, 11:16 PM
I've never seen or heard of it before (damn, I am getting old) but it's very cool, I've done similar things since the 80's - yes, before most of you were born! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PFsArr4Z1s

Juliemomof4
12-27-2012, 11:56 PM
It looks like my scrapbooks form before I went digi :) I should take pics and share with you girls someday.

Juliemomof4
12-27-2012, 11:59 PM
Just looking at these links you girls are sharing and thinking, i love digi...but there is something to be said about those old scrapbooks with ticket stubs and baby's first lock of hair...etc...

prettyingreen
12-28-2012, 12:27 AM
When I started digi I had planned on adding things in like a smash book but I havent done that at all lol

Sarah
12-28-2012, 12:28 AM
When I started digi I had planned on adding things in like a smash book but I havent done that at all lol

PLANNERS! That's what I plan on doing! :D

msbrad
12-28-2012, 02:15 AM
I'll be honest-
I don't get it....
but then again, I do not have a blog and I do not twitter- so perhaps- it is connected, not sure.

I do know, older than most in digiland.
m

Sarah
12-28-2012, 02:17 AM
I'll be honest-
I don't get it....
but then again, I do not have a blog and I do not twitter- so perhaps- it is connected, not sure.

I do know, older than most in digiland.
m

No, it's got nothing to do with blogging and/or Twitter. It's about making a journal, something like Project Life or Project 365, but in a little book/binder :D

MamaCake
12-28-2012, 02:23 AM
Thanks for replies gals :)
We are starting the fun, stressful, crazy endeavor to build our own house! I'm going to use a smash style journal to keep tract of contact info, estimates, what we get done or attempt day to day, inspiration snip-its - just a good way to look back and remember this time and the planning process because I won't always have pics to scrap :)

Sarah
12-28-2012, 02:27 AM
If you have a Walmart nearby (or a Target/Kmart, because they'd probably have them), they might have the Smashbook accessories cheaper. Then you can do a hybrid version of it. Your own binders and things (and you can get a lot of that cheaper through Amazon, in bigger bulk sizes), and the little accessories like that :D

msbrad
12-28-2012, 02:37 AM
Oh! I sorta...now get it...
[sorta]
I did [am doing] a project 52 - just for me this year. That was a big step for me. The site I was participating at closed, but I am continuing. I will complete.
Thank you,
m

emscraps
12-28-2012, 04:24 AM
I remember wayyyyy back in the day..LOL. I can't remember what we used to call it, I think it might be SMASH? but maybe I'm thinking that because we're talking about the smash books?? LOL.. BUT,I remember in elementary school, we would put together a notebook or some sort and on each page write a question. Then pass it around to each other.

I have a book similar to a SMASH book from also WAYYYYY back! It has ticket stubs, old napkins with restaurant names, etc.

redutedaisy
12-28-2012, 07:48 AM
This makes me want to give it a try! I've looked for similar things but never found anything that worked for me. These might be just what I need. I love tangible things and I have a huge box of ticket stubs, postcards, etc that need a home!

violamoni
12-28-2012, 11:38 AM
I love smash book, but I never tried it!
As Sarah said: on Amazon you can have a good price, for sure!

chouse
12-29-2012, 04:04 PM
Joann Fabrics had them on sale for 40% off. My daughter and I bought one. I will probably use it as a planner or art/ inspiration journal. They also have a blog for more ideas.

Sarah
12-30-2012, 12:45 AM
I checked out stuff at Walmart and totally ignored it. They didn't have what I was hoping for (I'm way too spoiled by digital scrapbooking).

cee
12-30-2012, 09:41 AM
I think you could do it without buying all the things, just get a cheap book, use a pen from around the house, and use what you already have, I like one of the videos where someone cut things and saying out of magazines she already has to pop in as starters then adds the bits and pieces she has kept
I might do something like that but it wouldnt have to cost anything it would have to be with what I have

JuliaSutterfield
12-30-2012, 01:02 PM
I do really like the pen how it has the glue already in it. But I'm with Cee, I would just use a blank journal that I already have and just purchase the pen which is only a few $.

Colleen
12-30-2012, 10:27 PM
This seems like too much work! LOL

I like the ease of scrapping and having everything on my computer and EHDs. lol lol lol

I also don't want another book floating around with stuff in it. This might stem from how often we have to pack up and move around here though. ;)

I do like the idea of it, and I really hope you share photos of your smashbook, Gina!!! :D

nutsaboutgabe
12-31-2012, 01:02 AM
Gina -- I have a Michael's 1 minute from my house!! It would be cheaper for me to send you stuff instead of you driving to your closest one!! I have another one about 20 minutes from me too and another about 30 minutes. They are in abundance in my area. I haven't heard of the Smash book stuff though...

MamaCake
12-31-2012, 04:03 AM
Barbara! You are so lucky! My nearest Hobby Lobby is even a little over 2 hours and Walmart and Target 1 hour also! I'm in the boons...lol. I made do for now, made some tabbed dividers from scrap paper and added some paper that matched well with what was included.
Colleen - It is work and I wouldn't do it for just daily happenings. Like I said, it isn't really pictures, it's mostly ideas and numbers, mood boards, the like. I am loving it because we had multiple folders and papers floating around the house that we were always looking for and now I am getting them organized all in one book and it is getting full and fat - love that! I will upload some pics soon :)

Ambelleina
12-31-2012, 04:14 AM
TARGET AN HOUR AWAY?! How do you survive?? LOL!

I have a Target and Wal-Mart within 2 minutes of me directly across the street from each other.

I have to TREK to Michael's a whole 10 minutes away.

hehe <3

JuliaSutterfield
12-31-2012, 05:38 AM
I bought a Smash pen today at Joann's. will let you all know how well it works tomorrow.

I also couldn't survive without my Target 2 minutes away :)

cfalbro
12-31-2012, 06:07 AM
Oh em gee!! This stuff looks like too much fun. Vacating the premise of this point as I type...

MamaCake
01-02-2013, 01:24 AM
I have the actual smash pen and I do like it. It's handy to have the glue stick on the end and it seems to work well :D

wanda
01-02-2013, 11:52 AM
I have been thinking about this a lot - I have tons of random bits and I need to do something with them. It seems like the Smash book idea is something that could be really portable, too.........like if I want to go over to my friend's house and scrap. I could just keep all the smash stuff together and grab it and go. Then again, I could put together some good smash stuff from what I already have, too. But I probably won't. So...........

missdamsel
01-02-2013, 01:19 PM
You are kiilling me!! Within minutes of my apartment (all less than 5 miles) I have Michaels, JoAnnes, Hobby Lobby, Target and Walmart. Once we move to the house it will all still be within probably 7 miles! lol

MamaCake
01-03-2013, 04:33 PM
You are kiilling me!! Within minutes of my apartment (all less than 5 miles) I have Michaels, JoAnnes, Hobby Lobby, Target and Walmart. Once we move to the house it will all still be within probably 7 miles! lol

Lucky you! But really, I wouldn't trade rural/country living for anything - not even a Michael's within minutes :)

missdamsel
01-03-2013, 04:59 PM
The benefit of our apartment complex is that it is on 66 acres so we have the best of both world really! lol We want to live in the country, but must wait until Rachel graduates because to move into the o****ry would require her to change schools and since she changed 3X last year we promised to try to keep her in the same school till graduation! THEN is is country living for us!!

Lucky you! But really, I wouldn't trade rural/country living for anything - not even a Michael's within minutes :)

MamaCake
04-03-2013, 05:16 PM
Just and update on what my Smash book looks like to date if anyone cares :)
http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u582/Gina_Maza/smashbook_zps391d834e.jpg

scrapjrlgcp
04-03-2013, 05:46 PM
That is awesome...I would love to start one, but I have a feeling it would be hard for me to keep up with it, but one day I would love to do a journal abt me for my kids

GingerScraps
04-04-2013, 11:56 AM
Cool Gina! Thanks for sharing!! Is this something you add photos too also, or is it all just the planner aspect? I'm not totally sure how smashbooks work.

Did anyone else make one of these too?? I would love to see them!

emscraps
04-05-2013, 04:24 AM
This looks awesome, Gina!!

Ginger, I'm not sure, but I think you can add what you want...pictures, journaling, quotes on sticky tabs. I guess it would depend if you want it to be acid free or what not??

Scrapper
04-05-2013, 08:08 AM
PLANNERS! That's what I plan on doing! :D

I'm going to do one of these one day too :D

Thanks so much Sarah for your links to Amazon - I found them there!! :D

Anyone know where I could look here in Australia?? KMart, Typo, Smiggles or Kikki.K ??

Scrapper
04-05-2013, 08:15 AM
Just and update on what my Smash book looks like to date if anyone cares :)
http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u582/Gina_Maza/smashbook_zps391d834e.jpg

Where can I see it Gina ?? I can't see photobucket photos :(

Scrapper
04-05-2013, 08:42 AM
TARGET AN HOUR AWAY?! How do you survive?? LOL!

I have a Target and Wal-Mart within 2 minutes of me directly across the street from each other. I have to TREK to Michael's a whole 10 minutes away. hehe <3

DID I hear correctly that TARGET has Smash Books ??!!?? Thanks for that information... I'll let you know if they have them over here!! :D They are 45 minutes away but we're in the country at the moment living on the Hawkesbury River - when we move the shops will only be up to 15 minutes away :)

These Books look great... just watched the video at Amazon & I'm going a hunting here for one <3

wanda
04-05-2013, 10:59 AM
I bought a Smash book, and started smashing, but I didn't like how it was going, so I stopped. I am going to start back. I was just doing it too randomly, and it wasn't telling any kind of story. I at least want it to be a little bit cohesive and with some stories to go with the random memorabilia I've been putting in.

Isabel
04-05-2013, 01:06 PM
Gina, is looking great! Last week I bought exactly the same book at Michaels, but then I returned and got a Sn@p! one. I'm planning on documenting my weight loss journey.

Scrapper
04-06-2013, 09:53 AM
Thanks Gina :D

Isabel any weight loss tips ?? :) Go, Go, Girl - you can achieve your goal :)

SandyPie
04-07-2013, 08:54 PM
I might know someone working on something like a smash book..... in digital. ;D

Nani
04-07-2013, 09:43 PM
I do a few digital "Smash Pages" with photos that really don't have a story, just a neat photo, or elements in kits that are totally too cute to not put somewhere but they don't fit any photos I have. They are great for adding a page where needed to have two-pagers facing each other correctly.

I also have Smash books where I keep my ticket stubs, magazine clippings, etc... There are a few photos on my blog here (http://chroniclesofnani.blogspot.com/2012/10/smashing-definedsorta.html).

Scrapper
04-15-2013, 02:43 AM
I need more help in finding a SMASH BOOK locally please... I've tried Target & they have heard of them but don't have any :(

I know I can get one via Amazon but that would cost me postage as well... Can anyone help me ??

violamoni
04-15-2013, 10:18 AM
Jemima where are you from?
I'm from Italy and on Amazon.it (the local one) if I spend 19€, the shpping costs are free. So maybe you can look at this offer for your country!
Or had you look at ebay?

Isabel
04-15-2013, 01:23 PM
I know in Target you can get them either where the party supplies are or where they keep their albums and scrapbooking supplies. I first asked in my local Target and they didn't know about it, but I did find it in that store ;)

trina513
04-15-2013, 01:42 PM
I have no idea how I missed this thread before - but wow! Cute idea - but I really dont need to get started on something else....but this looks like it could be addicting!!

Scrapper
04-29-2013, 11:48 PM
I know in Target you can get them either where the party supplies are or where they keep their albums and scrapbooking supplies. I first asked in my local Target and they didn't know about it, but I did find it in that store ;)

Thanks Isabel - I've tried Target - they have heard of them which is a starting point but they haven't got them :(

I"m going to try TYPO - any other suggestions ??

sladd79054
07-28-2013, 05:27 PM
I just noticed that on Zulily today they have SMASH items for sale if anyone is interested
http://www.zulily.com/e/k-and-company-smash-57465.html?tid=social_fb_ref_shareviaicon_na_modal _b00e4d2655e98f1c4d890ad9c2a55b03