PDA

View Full Version : Who gets your Christmas/holiday card?

Tree City
12-03-2012, 04:59 AM
So, I printed up my holiday card--used Persnickety for the first time and I LOVE THEM. They will be getting all of my print orders from now on. :) (DON'T FORGET TO USE THE COUPON HERE (http://store.gingerscraps.net/Persnickety-Prints/) AT GS!)
Oh jeez, I'm sorry, I got off track. What was I saying? Oh yes, I printed my card and pulled out my list of Card Recipients. And it made me think about how I love sending out my personally designed holiday card to everyone on the list except a few people. I send cards out to those who send ME a holiday card. If I don't get a card from you in 2 years, then you're off my list. The exception? Well, a few people, like my grandpa--he's 91 and I'm not going to give him grief if he forgets to mail out Christmas cards. But the person who it actually annoys me to send a card? DH's aunt. She doesn't send us a holiday card, so I stopped sending her one a few years ago...but she got pissed when we didn't send her a card. Well, hello! If you aren't going to send me a quick "Merry Christmas!" then why should I send you one? But, we got a call from MIL saying that Aunt was annoyed, so now she gets one. But I do it out of annoyance. I guess I'm a Grinch. hehe
So what's your rule--who gets your holiday card? (Or do you not send one at all? Or, am I crazy for being such a party pooper about who gets one? lol)

Jacque
12-03-2012, 05:49 AM
Sara i'll make your day! absolutely NO ONE gets one. i have made beautiful digital cards...i have hand crafted individual cards for family and friends... not only do we NOT get cards...we don't even get a thanks or how wonderful all the time u put in it. i save the money for me now :) Yep...I'm the Grinch!

trina513
12-03-2012, 03:04 PM
I've been struggling w/ this lately - we send out a TON of cards - (and with postage now $0.44 - it gets expensive in a hurry!!), and we don't get that many - so I've been tempted to do the same philosophy - to send to only those who send to us....it would sure save a lot of money - but then I feel guilty...why? I have no idea! Like you said - they don't take the time to send one to us - why should I to them?

Although this year - I'm cheating - I have yet to send out Isaac's birth announcement (I even printed them - just havent mailed them out! LOL), so I have his birth announcement, his thank you, Evan's thank yous (his party was in nov - I have to make them yet - but going to order them at the same time as I order my cards - which are done), and the christmas card and letter, to all go in one envelope - hopefully it's not over for postage - but even if its a bit over - still cheaper than sending them all out individually!

webdesignmom
12-03-2012, 03:58 PM
I only send cards to those relatives that get our boy's school photos. We put the school photo in the Christmas card since I want to mail out the school photos anyways. I do send a card to a couple close friends that I've known since I was a kid.

prettyingreen
12-03-2012, 05:05 PM
well if i manage to make one lol, friends and family will get one if i can hand it to them, i am so bad with the mail lol

Twin Mom Scraps
12-03-2012, 06:21 PM
i am putting my first batch of cards in the mail today! when i say "batch", i mean these are the people that i already have addresses for (mostly family and close friends). i usually have forgotten someone, as my address list seems to get misplaced every year! UGH! so if i get a card from some one not on my list, i will add them and send them a card. i ordered 75 cards and sending about 50 today.

Tree City
12-03-2012, 07:37 PM
75 cards?! I ordered 30 cards. But DH and I each have small extended families, so maybe the idea of 75 cards seems high simply because there aren't that many people in our family, unless you count great aunts/second cousins/etc. (And I don't think I could name half of those people lol, let alone know their addresses.)

Twin Mom Scraps
12-03-2012, 08:00 PM
Unfortunately yes 75 and probably all 75 will het mailed. I might have five left over if I'm lucky. My husband's family is very large. lots of cousins who all just got married and moved out of the house so those are extra addresses this year.

trina513
12-03-2012, 08:03 PM
Yeah we probably do about 75 as well :p

Neverland Scraps
12-03-2012, 08:40 PM
Wow I guess I just send one to everyone in my address book whether they send one back or not. I've never even thought about crossing people off who dont send cards in return. I just know a lot of my people in the address book, I dont have contact with via online and that's the only way they hear from me, especially since I am so horrible about writing snail mail in general.

The only exception is when I get undelievered mail in return. I whiteout their address in my book and hope they somehow, someday, send me an updated address so I can continue to send them cards each year.

emscraps
12-03-2012, 09:00 PM
We pretty much send cards to all our family and close friends, much to my husband's complaints..LOL. I usually cross them off the list if they were aquaintances from something, for example my 13 year old's preschool friends, that we haven't talked with in more than 5 years. Or something like that.

MSPeeler
12-06-2012, 05:58 AM
Wow. This post actually made me think. I find it very selfish to be honest to not send a card (if you can afford to!) out of spite because they dont send one back. These past 2 years have been very hard fianancially for us, so I only send a card to 10 people. My brothers, in laws, parents and grandparents. I would be heartbroken if a family member didn't send me a card, but others in our family one only because I wasnt able to send one that year.

I don't wan this to come off rude, just how I genuinely feel. XOXO

Tree City
12-06-2012, 03:46 PM
Michelle, I find it interesting that you assume that I stop sending cards out of spite. (And your post wasn't rude. You said what you think, and I respect that.) I must say however, that as far as why I send--or don't send--a person a card, I respectfully disagree with your assumption. I realize that I stated what I did but I didn't explain WHY. So, here goes. :) I give someone two years to send me a card before I stop sending one to them. The first year I don't get a card from someone, I assume it's because (1) you lost my address, (2) your card was lost in the mail, or (3) you just forgot about/didn't do cards this year. The second year that I don't get a card from you but I've sent YOU a card, I assume you have my address (because I've now sent 2 Christmas cards to you, plus random notes/photos throughout the years), so not sending me a card must mean that you don't want to send out cards and you don't want one in return. I don't want to stop sending you a card, but I'd be so embarrassed if you got my card and just threw it in the trash. I work hard to make my card--this year involved not one, but TWO stinking photo sessions because DD refused to smile in the first one lol and a few hours in front of my computer and then of course the $27 just to print the cards, plus money for postage and envelopes and the time to address envelopes--and I want the card and the sentiments that go with the card to be welcome in your home. If you stop sending me a card then I take it that you don't want a card from me. (And I'm using the universal "you" here, obviously. LOL!)
And money is tight for pretty much every family that I know. And time is important for everyone. Michelle, you mentioned that you're sending out 10 cards this year. I asked in my original post who gets your holiday card and why. You are sending cards to family--your rule smartly involves saving money as well as giving the card to the people who matter to you. And that's part of my strategy too: I want to send cards to the people who want them, and if you don't send me a card, then I'm going to save my own money by not sending one to you. And if a friend or family member of mine doesn't have money to send out cards, I don't know if I'd want to send them one because I don't want that family member to feel guilty about not being able to send one in return.
As for spite...well, I hate my MIL. Hate her. And I don't like her sister (the aunt I mentioned in OP). Actually, there are basically 2 people in DH's family that I don't dislike. So when I address anything to them (bday card, Christmas card, whatever), I grind my teeth because having to interact in any way with these gossip-mongering banshees makes me want to punch myself in the face. So, is it spiteful to be annoyed that Aunt used MIL to get DH to tell me that I should send Aunt a card? I don't know. But I sure as hell hate the passive-aggressive BS that DH's family pulls, and having to deal with them at the holidays makes it doubly worse because I want to be happy this time of year and they make me so mad that I can't see straight. But they all get my *%#$^&^* holiday card!
But enough about those people. I turn into a blubbering idiot when I talk about them (as you can see in the above paragraphs), so I'm going to stop talking about them. I am going to go have a cup of (decaf) coffee and a handful of chocolate chips. :)

StarWarsFans
12-06-2012, 04:39 PM
I need to go through my address book and decide who I am sending one too. I mostly send to my older relatives who don't have Facebook and don't see pictures of us on a regular basis. Stamps are so crazy expensive this year, that I will probably not send to many that I stay in regular touch with via the internet. They can see our card online. :)

MSPeeler
12-06-2012, 05:52 PM
Thanks for explaining Sara. I didn't really mean "spiteful" I guess, but I generally don't have a great vocab when it comes to expressing feelings. Frustrating at best maybe.

I actually made my own cards this year as well, but have yet to get stamps for them (crazy .45 each!!), I'm hoping that I will have stamps before Christmas lol

Anyway, thanks for explaining again. I'm in a tense state at the moment with the medical issues and stress of holidays, I hope you understand :)

Tree City
12-06-2012, 10:12 PM
Michelle, you are such a sweetheart--It would take a lot for me to get upset with you or to think that you were trying to be mean. :bighug: The problem with me explaining who gets my cards is that it makes me think of DH's family, and as you probably picked up on lol, talking about them makes me nuts. You didn't make me mad--those in laws make me mad! lol/col.
And as I said in the thread you posted in our forum, I am praying for you! HUGS!
The funny thing is, EVERYONE limits who gets a holiday card. I've never met a single person who sends holiday greetings to everyone they've ever met. I used to send a Christmas card to the pastor who married us--he had been the pastor at my church growing up and I wanted him to see the couple he married (one of HUNDREDS if not thousands that he officiated for) and how we've grown into a family. But then I worried that, even though he's known me for over 20 years, what if he's forgotten me? He hadn't been the pastor at my childhood church for quite some time--I'd sought him out to marry us because I respect him, not because he was my church's pastor. What if he doesn't remember what I look like?! What if he gets the card and is like "Who IS this?!" lol. Those stories are why I thought this would be a fun thread. And I still think it's fun, and I'm glad you told us who gets your card and why. :)

kl.winters
12-07-2012, 07:26 PM
I usually make our card each year using some of my own products and for the most part, I love doing it but then again, it's so much work because I'm so darn picky. I fuss with it forever and drive myself crazy. We don't send out as many cards as we did in the past. It's mostly family and a few close friends that we're still in contact with on a regular basis. Seems silly to me to receive a Christmas card from a friend that I haven't heard from all year. I'm never sure if it was sent out of guilt for not being in touch or if they really want to wish me a Merry Christmas. It's an interesting topic. I think we only send out about 30 cards, which I need to get to ASAP.

missdamsel
12-07-2012, 08:05 PM
I haven't sent cards in years, mainly due to financial issues. This year I found a GREAT deal on line and oredered cards for 75% off (they turned out about $.53 each and THEY address them and mail them for FREE!! I asked openly on FB who wanted a card. I did all of those and the immediate family that didn't respond (such as mom, sister, brother, nieces and nephews, etc). I sent out 44 this way and then ordered 15 extra to be mailed to me. I don't expect to go thru those, but if I do, I will figure out what to do after that. :)

trina513
12-07-2012, 09:39 PM
Wow - $0.53 for mailing, addressing is pretty good deal! I thoguht abotu diong something like that - but I usually send a letter with mine. I told my hubby that we seriously need to cut down on our list - but he didnt know who to cut! LOL

Ambelleina
12-07-2012, 10:09 PM
I don't send cards.

At all.

I figure it's just going to end up in the trash.

That's where the cards I get end up, anyway.

*opens card/reads it*
"Aww, how sweet."
*throws into trash*

So the lesson is: don't send Christina a card because it will get thrown away!

hehe

missdamsel
12-08-2012, 02:04 AM
Most cards end up in the trash sooner or later, especially holiday cards! birthdays, weddings, graduations, births? Maybe not, but probably 95% of Christmas cards do I would guess.

missdamsel
12-08-2012, 02:05 AM
**quickly scratches Christina off the holiday card list**

Tree City
12-08-2012, 02:22 AM
Christina, you're such a holiday GRINCH! j/k! I throw all cards out except bday cards from my grandparents and parents/ILs for DD and DS. I save those in their keepsake boxes.

prettyingreen
12-08-2012, 04:25 AM
I still have wedding cards and some shower cards and first birthday... Now with that said those are cards from the store with no photo, if u send me a photo card either hand made or generic I keep them in with my photos after they have hung on my fridge for a good part of the year lol.... My kids get cards from dh's aunt and I let them keep them to play with lol un till they r torn up then they go in the trash lol

Harmonystar
12-08-2012, 04:32 AM
I don't keep many cards either, but then I don't give them. However I love the idea of a Christmas card and I make one ever year. I then post it on Facebook and my blog and e-mail it to some special peeps. Saves so much time and effort. Then people can see it and don't have to throw it away, and those who love it and want it for keeps (like my parents) they can print it out. Hey I'm saving a tree right?
With that in mind I'd love to give you all my Christmas Card!
http://gallery.gingerscraps.net/data/500/Christmas_Card_12sml.jpg (http://gallery.gingerscraps.net/showphoto.php?photo=79906&title=christmas-card-2012&cat=500)

See how easy! ;) Merry Christmas my wonderful scrapper friends!!

Ambelleina
12-08-2012, 04:59 AM
LOL! Well, I will say I have a plastic shoebox filled with every card my boyfriend has given, along with any little love notes, movie tickets, stubs from concerts and fairs and any event we've gone to together, concert wristbands, hotel key cards and pretty much anything "keepable" to do with anything we've done. One day I'll drop it all into a shadowbox as a forever keepsake since this is the longest relationship I've been in (SCARY).

But as for birthday and holiday cards I get from anyone else, I throw them away maybe within a month. My apartment is a CRACKER JACK BOX and I just don't have room for that kind of stuff! Not a Grinch, just living in the city!

hehe

Ambelleina
12-08-2012, 05:00 AM
**quickly scratches Christina off the holiday card list**

And Missi, you can sent me a holiday text. :D

Twin Mom Scraps
12-08-2012, 12:41 PM
awww...i am sad to hear that many toss holiday cards. holiday cards are actually the only ones i keep, because it shows how my friends kids have grown up over the years, etc. the cards are displayed all month while decorations are up. then when the decorations come down, the cards get bagged up and stored with the rest of the christmas cards and our wedding cards (yes i still have those). but birthday cards? no i don't keep those.

missdamsel
12-08-2012, 03:51 PM
Ok, so let me clarify something here. With holiday cards I usually throw them away the next Holiday. I have a napkin holder on the dining room table (when I have a table! right now our apartment is too small for one) that I put all the holiday cards in, then when we sit down for dinner we grab the one in front and add them to our blessings and place them in the back. We don't sit down every night for family dinner, but we try to. But sometimes when I walk by the napkin holder (card holder in this case) will call to me and I will grab a card and pray for that family.

I still have wedding cards (25 years ago in just a few days) and birthday cards for each kid and birthday cards for each kid (until they got old enough to decide what to do with them, and EVERY card and letter my hubby sent me from the Gulf War!!

Twin Mom Scraps
12-08-2012, 03:54 PM
missi, i love your post!!!! thank you so much for posting...truly amazing! :)

Jacque
12-08-2012, 04:35 PM
oh please michelle don't think this is pick on michelle cuz it sure isn't hon...promise...but like missi should better explain!

i don't not send out cards to people because they don't send me one...i don't send them out because i put so much time and energy (and money) into them and NO ONE CARES...no thank u's nothing...so why bother, they do not miss them that's for sure and since they don't like me anyway (inlaws r all that's left other than my siblings and we don't like each other either...long history).

as for getting them...we don't...EVER!!!! DH and i were just laughing this week cuz our realtor still remembers us after 3 yrs. (ok small town and a computer program but hey...it was written by hand by her secretary LOL) we get one from my dentists and dr's too who should with all the money spent LOL

and yes i throw them away. i had to start throwing away most cards but some from DH or my kids for different holidays even store bought r even more special and i save them.

Harmonystar
12-08-2012, 10:19 PM
Ok, so let me clarify something here. With holiday cards I usually throw them away the next Holiday. I have a napkin holder on the dining room table (when I have a table! right now our apartment is too small for one) that I put all the holiday cards in, then when we sit down for dinner we grab the one in front and add them to our blessings and place them in the back. We don't sit down every night for family dinner, but we try to. But sometimes when I walk by the napkin holder (card holder in this case) will call to me and I will grab a card and pray for that family.

I still have wedding cards (25 years ago in just a few days) and birthday cards for each kid and birthday cards for each kid (until they got old enough to decide what to do with them, and EVERY card and letter my hubby sent me from the Gulf War!!

I think perhaps I should send Missi a card. ;)

I do keep letters. I have a big box of letters and cards from my hubby who wrote me every week for two years before we were married and he was on a LDS mission in Canada.

trina513
12-08-2012, 11:59 PM
I don't keep many cards either, but then I don't give them. However I love the idea of a Christmas card and I make one ever year. I then post it on Facebook and my blog and e-mail it to some special peeps. Saves so much time and effort. Then people can see it and don't have to throw it away, and those who love it and want it for keeps (like my parents) they can print it out. Hey I'm saving a tree right?
With that in mind I'd love to give you all my Christmas Card!
http://gallery.gingerscraps.net/data/500/Christmas_Card_12sml.jpg (http://gallery.gingerscraps.net/showphoto.php?photo=79906&title=christmas-card-2012&cat=500)

See how easy! ;) Merry Christmas my wonderful scrapper friends!!

Dang - I hate how the dislike button moves to where the like button was after you click like! I thought it didnt go through so I clicked again and all of a sudden I dislike your post :( Sorry! Totally not on purpose - love the card :D

Harmonystar
12-09-2012, 03:24 AM
Hee it's fine Trina. I've done that before too.

StarWarsFans
12-09-2012, 03:41 PM
Here's our card. I used word art by Pretty in Green.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b83/StarWarsLovers/Cindy/ChristmasCard.jpg

missdamsel
12-09-2012, 03:50 PM
Anyone who wants to send one you can do so at po box 418, Franklin, tn. 37065. I promise to put you in the to pray for pile till next year when I throw you away!! lol

emscraps
12-09-2012, 05:20 PM
Missi, that is beautiful!! Your family is so thoughtful! I'm sending you a card for sure, can totally use prayers anytime :)

I keep all our cards, even non photo cards. I put them together with binder rings like a book and keep them around until the next Christmas. We like to see how the kids grow and read the notes included. It's also a great way for the kids to know who so and so is they haven't seen in a while.

Jacque
12-09-2012, 05:32 PM
what beautiful cards you guys. i miss making them but i'll live!

missi...i don't have one to send so u can just throw me away now LOL

Junemillar
02-28-2013, 08:17 AM
I use to send it to my friend also for my parents.. Unfortunately I get very few.