PDA

View Full Version : Getting Started with PSE

JaneAgain
05-18-2009, 03:50 AM
I have a trial of Photoshop Elements, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of any tutorials...or how to get started?
Thanks!

Jodi
05-18-2009, 03:23 PM
I have learned that the best way to learn a new program is by playing yourself. I have read tutorials and they just don't stick with me. I find that every time I want to try that tutorial again I have to read it again and again. Maybe that's not how it is for you, but I don't know of any tutorials that just teach how to get started. So let's get you started.

Open PSE. Go to file and then New. Make it 12 inches by 12 inches or 3600 pixels by 3600 pixels and then make it 300 pixels/inch (that's the resolution, 72 is good for web. 300 is good for printing.)

Ok now you have your basic shape and size for your LO. Now start opening your papers, elements and pictures in PSE and place them on that canvas till you are happy.

Over to the right you will see some styles. If you pick drop shadows you will be able to add drop shadows to each layer (each element, paper and pictures will be on it's own layer). So go ahead and add your shadows.

That's the basics. I hope that helped some. Sorry I don't know of any tutorials.

JaneAgain
05-18-2009, 06:03 PM
Thanks Jodi! I think I have things kind of figured out, but I don't know how to get the open files into one "document". Does that make sense? I can open them, and play with them, but how do I put them all together into different layers in one project? Thanks so much for your help.

Laura
05-18-2009, 06:29 PM
Jane, all you have to do is drag and drop the files you want on to each other. Down at the bottom you should see a box with little previews of the files you have open. Just try drag/drop and they should be on the same document. If that's not what you mean let me know, maybe I can help :)

Jodi
05-19-2009, 06:06 PM
Yup, just drag and drop. PS is easy that way haha. Click on an element and keep it clicked and drag it over to your empty 12x12. The over to the right you will see all your layers, you can click on those and drag up and down to move up layers and down layers. So paper on bottom and elements on top.

JaneAgain
05-19-2009, 06:10 PM
thanks, ladies...i'll go try that now!

JaneAgain
05-26-2009, 05:24 PM
One more question, please! Once I place a paper on my document, is it possible to edit it? I can't seem to figure out how to do it, but it's difficult to get it the right shape if I'm editing it before I place it. There must be a way, right?

Jodi
05-27-2009, 02:23 PM
When you open a paper it will be the "background". This means it's locked. If you try to edit it you will have trouble. So I am not sure if this will work for PSE but it works for PS. Grab that little lock there in the layers preview and drag it down to the trash can icon. If that does not work then duplicate the layer and delete the bottom layer (the one with the lock on it). Then edit as needed.

JaneAgain
05-27-2009, 04:40 PM
thanks jodi!

JaneAgain
06-03-2009, 08:56 PM
Another question....if I save and close a project that I'm working on, when I reopen it and try to edit anything (like resize it to upload, for example), all the elements are surrounded by white squares. What am I doing wrong? Or...how do I save so that I can open it later and edit it?

Thanks!

Jodi
06-05-2009, 01:13 AM
What format are you saving in. .jpg, .png, .psd, .gif? If you want to edit more than one layer save as .psd if you want to edit just one element with blank space around it, save in .png and if you want to edit just a photo with no empty space around it or a paper with no empty space then you can save as .jpg hope this helps.

JaneAgain
06-06-2009, 04:20 AM
Thanks so much, Jodi. I didn't know about .png.

What format are you saving in. .jpg, .png, .psd, .gif? If you want to edit more than one layer save as .psd if you want to edit just one element with blank space around it, save in .png and if you want to edit just a photo with no empty space around it or a paper with no empty space then you can save as .jpg hope this helps.