PDA

View Full Version : Vectors Question

nikkiecole71
10-13-2012, 07:04 PM
I've been looking around at CU products lately for the heck of it and I keep seeing vector images. What do you do with these? I'm assuming they are not layered.

msbrad
10-14-2012, 01:22 PM
Vector is a mathmatical algorithm that keeps the lines sharp and edges clean regardless of the sizing. If simplified [pse] or rasterized [CS] and you resize, the edges get fuzzy.
An easy example.
Text - type something...The text is in a vector form. If you Ctrl + T and drag out to resize it will get bigger and keep the sharp edges.
IF, you right click on the layer and choose simplify or raster and then drag out the text, it will get fuzzy.
Here is a little tutorial I once did.
http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo303/msbrad_photos/testing-vector.jpg
m

scrappinbella
10-14-2012, 03:01 PM
hmmm will ya look at that..she's cute and SMART too...go figure!....Thanks Michi....(someday I will get to play with the big girls and their fancy programs too..sigh...who wants to teach me..lol)

msbrad
10-14-2012, 05:21 PM
hmmm will ya look at that..she's cute and SMART too...go figure!....Thanks Michi....(someday I will get to play with the big girls and their fancy programs too..sigh...who wants to teach me..lol)
You make me smile :)
You need to come play with the other programs. You can do it.
m

nikkiecole71
10-15-2012, 01:31 AM
Thanks for the explanation Michi. So how do these get colored?

msbrad
10-16-2012, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the explanation Michi. So how do these get colored?

There are several ways...here are a few quickies.
1. vector item
2. make a new blank layer above it [have it active]
3. ctrrl+Click the vector item and you will get marching ants on your blank layer.
4. Edit >fill >with color of your choice [use the foreground color picker lower left of the tools, which by default is black and white- click there -pick a color.
Now, it will currently look dumb but that is ok

Now duplicate your color layer
This time go to filter > texturizer > and play, just pick one [it's going to look dumb again]
On this layer, go to the blending modes. It is in your layers palette and has it drop down...starting with 'normal'.
Scroll thru and get an effect you want.
Experiment with other filters too.
Filter >render> clouds can be fun to start with

Another way...
Clip a paper to it [like doing a template

Another
Edit fill with a pattern

use various brushes with your colors and textures.

Mess with dodge and burn tools for various effects.

I think when those CU thingys get made, they are supposed to be 'changed' to make it your own. Hence why some designers buy CU...then go about fiddling for the effect they place in their kits.

I'm not a designer, and I don't read TOU's [sorry ladies] as I'm not selling anything. I just love to fiddle with stuff for me.
m

nikkiecole71
10-16-2012, 11:45 PM
Oh ok. Thank you very much! Hmmm...I need to play I think. :)

msbrad
10-17-2012, 01:55 AM
Yes- have fiun playing.
A mix of...blending modes, brushes and filters.... are fun!!! The tools do a lot of 'stuff'. LOL
m