PDA

View Full Version : I need a cheering section

missdamsel
09-09-2012, 10:46 PM
Ok, so tomorrow I am giving up sodas and as many carbs as I can, I will not say I am going carb free, but low carb. Any ideas or suggestions for meals and snacks feel free to post.

otherwise, just pray for me and cheer me on! Thanks.

Lisa
09-09-2012, 10:58 PM
First - Go Missi Go! :36_1_33: You can do it!! :36_1_33:

Second - I was just thinking the same thing this morning!!! There's only four months left in the year and I need, need, need to lose some lbs!!! I have given up all soda's, regular and diet, but I have the worst sweet tooth!!! My plan is to have some carbs in the morning, but only high fiber, whole grain carbs. Then lots of veggies and proteins the rest of the day. And only one small glass of wine in the evening ...I'll reduce my wine, but I won't give it up!

Sarah
09-09-2012, 11:05 PM
Kathy might be a good person to hit up for some recipes. She mentioned in a chat that she does low carb meals :D

mamaape
09-09-2012, 11:40 PM
YOU TOO?!
I'm giving up Coke (had last one today). I'm terrified. Going shopping for tea. Heh. Don't know that I could EVER give up carbs - so for that I applaud you!! I will be your personal cheerleader! <3

BlueHeartScraps
09-09-2012, 11:55 PM
I need to give up my Diet Mtn Dews. I'm too embarrassed to even tell how many I have a week :/ But, I'm weak.

missdamsel
09-09-2012, 11:59 PM
OH I have around 100 oz of Dr pepper/Mr Pibb everyday!! No one can top me.

Sarah
09-10-2012, 12:06 AM
OH I have around 100 oz of Dr pepper/Mr Pibb everyday!! No one can top me.

I thought I had a lot of Pepsi/Pepsi One (does that count as carbs, when it's Splenda?) XD

missdamsel
09-10-2012, 12:16 AM
I just drink a lot anyway and do not like water. I drink lots of tea with no caffeine and no sugar when I am not drinking DP.

Sarah
09-10-2012, 12:19 AM
I just drink a lot anyway and do not like water. I drink lots of tea with no caffeine and no sugar when I am not drinking DP.

You might check out Propel drop-ins, if you don't like unflavored water. They have antioxidants (and are usually pretty calorie-free, & don't use aspartame). I <3 them personally, and it's the only way I can drink "water" :D

missdamsel
09-10-2012, 12:26 AM
Yep, I use mix ins all the time, all sugar free.

Sarah
09-10-2012, 12:31 AM
:woot:

missdamsel
09-10-2012, 12:40 AM
Like I said it is not an addiction. I give up sodas all the time. It is a taste preference and a habit more than anything. I love tea and flavored water too!

Sarah
09-10-2012, 12:42 AM
Like I said it is not an addiction. I give up sodas all the time. It is a taste preference and a habit more than anything. I love tea and flavored water too!

I know what you mean, completely.
You're stronger than me. I can't give it up. I mean, I can go diet, or what-not (as long as it's not with aspartame, which LIMITS my diets). Mine is a caffeine issue. Soda's caffeine hits faster than coffee or tea, and when you have a headache, man, you want fast.

Be careful cutting it, if you tend to get headaches from caffeine. Cold Turkey can cause some WICKED withdrawal headaches.

nutsaboutgabe
09-10-2012, 12:51 AM
You can do it Missi. I gave up all soda earlier this year. I never ever kept soda in the house, but it was an at work habit or out shopping habit that I needed one. I love the fizz of soda so initially I weaned myself off of the soda by drinking the flavored bubbly water even though I don't really like those. I always drink a lot of water so it wasn't a replacement for my water intake. Now and then I will have an orange soda or a root beer, but I can not have a Pepsi or Coke or the cycle will start all over again. Honestly soda makes me feel like crap and I don't miss that at all. I have given up soda in the past and been soda free for years but this time I'm done.

Good luck to you.

missdamsel
09-10-2012, 01:15 AM
the carbs are going to be my challenge. I give up sodas cold turkey for months at a time.

sparkysgirl
09-10-2012, 01:50 AM
:36_1_33:You can do it, Missi! :36_1_33:

I went on a low carb/no sugar diet a year and a half ago. The purpose initially is to get your metabolism to kick into high gear. I cut down to 20 net carbs per day ... and absolutely no sugar. On day three ... I was really about to cave because I wanted some chocolate SO BAD! I realized that I was addicted to sugar, and I needed something to help me get through the craving (2pm seems to be the magic hour for me to crave chocolate). I started looking up recipes on the Atkin's diet site and for strategies to get through the cravings. I discovered that they had chocolate bars ... and Target carries them. I don't like some of them, but the Chocolate Nut Rolls SAVED me.

I was able to stick to the 20g of carbs and no sugar/day for just over three weeks (more time than specified, I think, but once I got going I hated to stop). Then I gradually started working other carbs back in. I'm still very careful about the number of net carbs I eat each day. I also discovered some things that I love that replace carbs. One thing in particular is mashed cauliflower. I steam the cauliflower, then mash it up, add some butter and cream (yes, you can have butter and cream - any type of fat on this diet - just low carb!), salt and white pepper ... and sometimes grated cheddar cheese. This has become a favorite here at our house.

I drink a high protein shake each morning, and it keeps me pretty full until dinner typically. My shake recipe is: approximately 3/4 of cup of almond milk (any type of milk will do, but this is my fav), a hefty tablespoon of natural peanut butter, a hefty tablespoon of Greek yogurt, a banana, and a scoop of chocolate whey protein powder (I like Jillian Michael's protein powder) ... I put all in a blender and blend until smooth ... then I add about seven cubes of ice and continue blending until smooth again. I have an auto immune disease, so my muscles LOVE the protein, and it is very filling.

My advice is to know your weaknesses ahead of time and have a strategy for dealing with them. Mine was the 2pm chocolate cravings. For others, it's probably going to be missing sodas, potatoes, bread, etc. I lost 20 pounds in about 6 weeks. I have kept it off for well over a year and a half ... but, I have a husband with a legendary sweet tooth and he tempts me often. When he decides to have a goodie, I try to have something around that I can enjoy and not feel left out.

You may not feel the urge to do the full blown Atkin's plan, but the website has recipes so it can be helpful. It also explains why going low carb works to lose weight. Honestly, I felt so much better while I was on the full blown Phase 1 portion of the diet. The first few days are rough ... but once you get past it, you will feel much better and your will power to stay on the diet becomes much stronger ... and you'll probably see some quick results that will encourage you too.

STAY STRONG!!!!!

StarWarsFans
09-10-2012, 03:03 AM
Not to scare you or anything, but I decided to do this Friday, ate brocolli, green beans, and tomatos for lunch, and was in the hospital by midnight. LOL!

Seriously, unless you have blocked bowels, veggies are the way to go. I eat them all the time. No sugar, no carbs, just yummy! :)

trina513
09-10-2012, 03:05 AM
Good Luck Missi! I'm no help in giving up soda - I am not a soda drinker - and I like water - LOL!

msbrad
09-10-2012, 03:18 AM
I've not read thru... as I have internet super duper PITA issues tonight.. ok- that is out..
moving on.
YES YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!
Avoid wheat, sugar and substitute with PROTEIN, whole grains and a lot of fruit.
stopping now before internet cuts me out again.

My change of eating...has dropped me 50+ without trying...
m

missdamsel
09-10-2012, 03:28 AM
I need to measure to see how big this bottle is:

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/399615_4686575965323_1876783727_n.jpg

But I have had three of these with flavored water since I posted this thread!!

Colleen
09-10-2012, 04:11 AM
I bet you can do it!

I haven't been drinking anything but water for at least a month. Other then a glass or two of soy milk to up my protein intake. I usually have a glass before bed as a snack. It's suppose to be good for you... ;) lol I haven't even had coffee. I was a must have 1-2-3 cups of coffee a day kind of person. I gave it up cold turkey, and I haven't looked back! I tried to have a cup the other day, and I could only drink half of it.

I buy fruits and veggies at the store, and I prep everything all at once. I wash, dry, cut, and chop everything and put them in containers. Well - not apples, but you get the idea. Then it's an easy grab for a snack! I love carrots with guacamole! I also do low fat or fat free yogurt and mix in fruit or make fruit smoothies. I seriously haven't had any sweets for the last 1-2 months other then when I took the kids to a cupcake place that one on cupcake wars. lol

I also eat a lot of chicken. I am always on the look out for healthy marinades for chicken. We are a chicken family! I also replace our ground beef with turkey. I make turkey burgers with avocado or guacamole with no bun. I still eat carbs though...

I have also been going to the gym. I have so much energy since starting my new eating plan and going to the gym. My day ends at 1030-11 every night, and I am up at 5. I have never been able to get moving this quickly getting up at 5! lol I love my sleep! I also haven't been sleeping the greatest, so I am impressed with my energy!

Good luck though, Missi! Don't bring the "bad stuff" in your house, but also don't cut it off completely otherwise it can backfire! :)

Ambelleina
09-10-2012, 02:42 PM
You'll have no issues with giving up sodas. Then again, I'm not a "sweet tooth" gal, so the soda just lifted right out for me.

Don't use the fake sugar stuff--it's worse for you than real sugar. All the Crystal Lite, Mio, etcetc sugar free stuff is really, really bad for you. Usually, anything that says "sugar free" is something you should stay away from. There are a bevy of health problems attributed to using aspartame, sucralose, neotame, saccharin, etc.

Try stevia extract, I bought a giant bottle of it in liquid form at Whole Foods for around $15. (It will last me forever.) I also have a tiny bottle of it w/ a dropped I keep in my purse. Order water with lots of lemon everywhere you go and add some drops of stevia. Yummy, sweet, no fakey chemical sludge and no calories. It's all-natural, vegan and calorie-free. And SWEET, for those with the craving! (There are also a few sodas made with stevia now. I like Zevia.)

I've done a lot, a LOT, of research over the past year and the best thing I can deduce is to go as natural as you can. Stuff like margarine (that is a few ticks away from being legally considered a plastic), "sugar free/diet" drinks that are loaded with chemical sugar substitutes, anything with HFCS--they all add to fatness. You have to clean your liver and blood, feed yourself healthy foods before you'll see any real weight loss.

I struggle with that, since I'm on a 26 year-old's budget, working full-time and now going to school half-time. It's so much easier and cheaper to buy a frozen pizza or stop by Whataburger (mm), but I'm officially back to trips to farmer's market, buying organic when I can (pesticides also contribute to fatness), lots of veggies and fruits, no beef and working to cut back the carbs. (Oh, you carbs. You delicious, delicious carbs. I love you, carbs. So hard.)

Just try to become healthier somewhat gradually, going cold turkey on everything generally leads to imminent failure. Don't beat yourself up if you have a soda one day or pasta one night. Every step counts, every good meal you have is a little victory. You can do it! :)

PS-
There is this superamazing thing called a lemon faucet Sunkist sells. I use it every morning for my warm lemon water w/ stevia. It's also cool for making my skinny lemonade at home. It is cool and fun and makes juicing the lemon so much easier! http://www.costore.com/sunkist/productorderforminv.asp?peid=87&pid=1888343

missdamsel
09-11-2012, 04:18 PM
Ok, so day one went ok. I stayed carb free most of the day. When I felt the need I wandered thru the kitchen and grabbed 1 grape! I did that 3 times yesterday! So I did pretty good till dinner, which I knew would be hard since it was hubbs birthday and he wanted Chicken fried Steak and Mashed potatoes. So I had that for dinner, but cut way down on the potatoes and chose a steak that most of the breading had fallen off. AndI only had 1 roll instead of the two I usually have.

Day two started with two laps around the park!

sparkysgirl
09-13-2012, 01:49 PM
Sounds like you're doing well, Missi! It's always hard when there is a special event like a birthday ... you did good trying to have a strategy to enjoy the festivities without "falling off the wagon". Hope your power walk went well and keeps you motivated throughout the day!

Today my afternoon snack strategy is sliced cucumbers that I'm going to dip in this yummy jalapeno yogurt dipping sauce I found at Costco yesterday. It has no yogurt taste whatsoever ... it tastes yummy -- and it's very low carb. I also have a cantaloupe cut up and stored in a container in the fridge (bite size pieces).

Hang in there! You can do it!!!!!

missdamsel
09-13-2012, 02:41 PM
So day four....

So far I have done ok. I have been keeping pretty much no carb during the day and low carb at dinner. Missing my milk more than anything, so this morning I caved and had a cup. I figure I will be better off doing small amounts of forbidden things rather than falling off the wagon!

I am walking almost every morning, I missed yesterday since I was terribly nauseated all day.

Ambelleina
09-14-2012, 04:40 AM
Throw a bunch of grapes in the freezer and munch away! I'm into textures, so I like the frozen grapes when I want to crunch on something and they're not hard on your teeth like crunching ice is. And yes, small amounts of stuff is better than trying to go cold turkey, then gorging.

Woohoo, walking is awesome! My mom said a lot of very heavy women at her job just started walking a little everyday and lost lots of weight. That doesn't walk for me (my walk to my desk is through out gigantic warehouse and doing that walk 4 times a day does nothing!), but brisk walking/jogging does. THANK GOD FALL IS COMING!

missdamsel
09-14-2012, 02:53 PM
So I weighed in this morning, yes I know it hasn't been a week, but I prefer Friday Weigh ins. Well.... 6 pounds!! YAY!! Keep cheering me on! It is helping!!

Ambelleina
09-15-2012, 12:38 AM
woohoooooooo! go missi, go missi! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

sparkysgirl
09-15-2012, 01:11 AM
That's terrific, Missi! Big Congrats! Keep it up!

Nickala27
09-15-2012, 08:27 AM
Wow! Congratulations Missi!

Colleen
09-15-2012, 05:49 PM
Nice work! :)

missdamsel
09-21-2012, 02:10 PM
Ok, it is Friday and time for a check in.

This week, I only lost 1 pound, but I added in some carbs. I was staying too exhausted without the daytime carbs. But I have added in healthier carbs, not junky carbs. I also made lunches easy by cooking up some taco meet and eatiing taco salads for lunch, yummy!!

I am also 5 for 5 on the elipitical this week!! YAY!!! Only 10 minutes, but on Monday my legs were noodles and today I barely felt it. Next week I move up to 15 minutes!

Sarah
09-21-2012, 02:57 PM
A loss is a loss!

missdamsel
09-28-2012, 12:44 PM
Well, sad news to report today....

MY SCALE DIED!!! So I guess I will need to find a new one, but not sure when that will happen. In the meantime, I will continue eating right, working out and reporting in.

So on to my report: I didn't do so well this week on food (Dang oreos!!) but even then I ate MUCH less than I would have before. I am STILL soda free, I am on week two of eliptical 5 mornings a week and weight training 2x a week. Will try to meet with trainer Saturday this week as well (it is so hard on Saturday!!) So we will see what happens.

missdamsel
10-03-2012, 02:38 PM
So it is not Friday, but I thought I would check in. I did get my scale working again and as of this morning I am down 9 pounds!!

Still soda free and still going to the gym every morning for cardio and a couple times a week for weight training (Once a week with my trainer).

missdamsel
10-10-2012, 11:03 PM
My update: I am now a month no sodas, a month of doing the elliptical 5 days a week, and a month into seeing my trainer every Tuesday and doing my training on my own most Thursdays. AND I am down 11 pounds! Gotta keep the motivation and keep moving!!

Sarah
10-10-2012, 11:15 PM
That is AWESOME!!
<3
Are you seeing a difference anywhere else?
Any changes in pain levels?

rdjrneace
10-27-2012, 10:58 PM
First of all congrats on no soda; I cut out everything but sprite 2 weeks ago and am really missing them. I need to get back on the exercising so I hope your determination can rub a little off on me.

Congrats on the weight loss.

Isabel
10-28-2012, 08:01 PM
Congrats on your loss Missi!! are you following any eating plan? I used to be addicted to coke (4 to 6 cans a day) and last year I totally stop all sodas. All I drink now is water, green tea and 1 cup of coffee. I don't use any sweets or artificial sweet at all. it was a bit hard at the beginning but now I'm used to it.

Eating wise, I was doing very good until a few months ago , now I'm trying to go back to my "clean" eating. As far as exercise I recommend you to do HIIT it will help you to burn lots of calories even after your are done exercising for the day. Also try not to do the same type of training for too long, your body will get used to it.

MamaCake
10-29-2012, 03:08 AM
Great job Missi!! That is exciting!

JillW
10-29-2012, 04:24 PM
Yea good for you Missi!!! Keep it up my friend!

I seriously need to do something - I am heavier now than I have EVER been - ever.

kl.winters
10-31-2012, 08:36 PM
Gosh, I don't know how I missed this thread but yeah, Missi! We've been on a low carb diet or as we say now, lifestyle for just about a year now and both my hubby and I are down 60lbs. I was actually about six pounds behind him for the longest time and then I got sick and wasn't eating much for about a week and I caught right up to him. Anyhoo, cutting back on carbs is so so hard but we did it, and we started this adventure just before Thanksgiving last year so it was the worst time to attempt something like this but we stuck to our guns and got through the holidays and lost weight and then we just kept working at it.

The hardest thing for me is that I love to cook and bake and that has been drastically reduced since we cut out sugar, flour, rice, and pasta. We eat a lot of salads, mostly for lunch and of course eggs in various forms. We grill for as many months as we can usually sticking to chicken, fish, and pork. Some beef but not much because I'm not a big fan of fatty meats like a steak or hamburger. We eat a lot of non-starchy veggies like, cauliflower, broccoli, celery, green beans, brussel sprouts and etc. No carrots because they have a lot of sugar and no peas, which I used to love on my salad.

Mashed cauliflower is the best, we eat it often and we're to the point were we don't even think about potatoes anymore. A couple of weeks ago I made zucchinni lasagna and it was so good. I didn't even miss the pasta. We've also tried several variations of low carb pizza, which has a crust made out of cauliflower. Sounds strange but my hubby loves it. My hubby has had a harder time because he likes to snack but he's to the point now where it doesn't bother him as much. He loves sugar free Jell-O so he has that for desert just about every night with a little whipped topping.

Check my boards on Pinterest, Missi, because I've got some recipes pinned on a Low Carb board and Atkins has a lot of recipes as well.

Of course eventually you get to the point where the weight loss starts to slow down so we started swimming everyday and I'm seeing a huge difference in my clothes after only two months. I'm finally building up some muscle again!

We had to do this because we were slowing killing ourselves with a combination of a heavy burden of stress and over eating or eating for pure comfort so something had to give. Things are far less stressful now and with the healthier eating and lifestyle, we feel so much better. Hubby is diabetic and insulin dependent so it was a big adjustment for him in the beginning but he's now taking less insulin and his numbers are really good so just another added bonus of taking the plunge.

Keep up the good work, Missi! You can do. I know it's harder when you are the only one in the family making a change but stick to your guns before you know it you'll be buying all new clothes.

Isabel
11-05-2012, 01:59 PM
Kathy that is a great accomplishment, congrats to you and your hubby!

Zucchinni lasagna and mashed cauliflower are one of my favorites low carbs meal. I also like spagetti squash with turkey and salmon patties.

Missi, you are doing a fantastic job, keep up with the hard work!!

Neverland Scraps
11-05-2012, 03:46 PM
Wow you guys! Im so excited for each one of you cutting out your sodas and carbs!! I was doing this, cutting back on carbs, sugars and no caffiene since we moved. But then I found out I was pregnant and about the only way to control my severe migraines without medicine is the caffeine. I was drinking no soda (Pepsi) for about 6 months prior and now Im drinking 2-4 a day depending on the migraines. I hate drinking the soda, especially since I gave it up and it was so hard then and I know how hard it will be to give it up when I am done being pregnant. But if I dont have the caffeine, I have to take medicine, which becomes addicting for the baby and he can have complications when he's born. Im trying hard to tough love these migraines and suck up drinking the soda, although my teeth hate me again! I hope when the baby's born, these migraines go away so I can once for all give up the soda and try to live a healthier lifestyle with you guys!

Oh my favorite, was juicing. Really loved getting the juices from the veggies and the fruits. It was expensive, but I really enjoyed it.

DH is down to about 300-400 calories a meal on his part. He's doing really well, except he got hurt earlier last month and he stopped working out and has since picked up snacking. Once he's feeling better and is able to get back to exercising, I hope he goes back to his portion control meals. Im very proud of him, because he was raised to eat and snack when he was hungry so this is something he's been trying to change for years and it seems like he's getting more and more control over it as we age together.

missdamsel
11-19-2012, 04:52 PM
Ok, guys, I know I haven't checked in lately. I am still soda free and down 14 pounds. I guess I would lose quicker is I gave up the "nummies" (you know cookies, little Debbies, etc) but man they are so good! lol

BUT I have decided today to start training for the JDRF Ride for the cure which is a 100 miles ride in and around Nashville next September!! sigh, what the heck?? Why would i decide to do that? I don't even have a bike!!

:) we shall see. Keep supporting me!! You guys are the greatest!!

Jacque
11-19-2012, 05:40 PM
i drink water 98% of the time so not much help there. and no that's not bragging its preference as i am a full blown sugar addict!!!! as for low carbs???? hmmmm don't come to my house is the best advice i have

BUT I'M CHEERING YOU ON :)

Hummie
11-20-2012, 03:38 PM
I need to give up my Diet Mtn Dews. I'm too embarrassed to even tell how many I have a week :/ But, I'm weak.

Ah, this was my weakness at work also as they have them in the refrigerator and I had one a day during the work week. I haven't had any for weeks. It is hard to give up because after about 5 to 7 days, you get a headache and you have to push through it to get to the other side.

Then I allowed myself one a week on Friday for a while, but now, I do not even think about them and haven't had one in weeks.

Jacque
11-20-2012, 04:54 PM
just realized u r from TN too...u r just a couple hours from ME!!! southern girls ROCK!!!!!

Ok, guys, I know I haven't checked in lately. I am still soda free and down 14 pounds. I guess I would lose quicker is I gave up the "nummies" (you know cookies, little Debbies, etc) but man they are so good! lol

BUT I have decided today to start training for the JDRF Ride for the cure which is a 100 miles ride in and around Nashville next September!! sigh, what the heck?? Why would i decide to do that? I don't even have a bike!!

:) we shall see. Keep supporting me!! You guys are the greatest!!

missdamsel
11-20-2012, 05:06 PM
Where are you? Maybe we could meet up one day!

Jacque
11-20-2012, 05:11 PM
i'm in the big ol' town of DOVER LOL (just in case as i know people who live 20 minutes away that don't know) my backyard (sorta) is KY lake

Jacque
11-20-2012, 05:12 PM
oops sorry its Cumberland Lake but KY Lake is just down a few miles from that :)

DaniAlencar (JB Studio)
09-20-2014, 03:12 AM
Let's go Missi. I used to be a coke addicted and that's not easy but I'm avoiding it as much as I can, just having it on weekends. It's been a week. Can you believe I had a headache in the beginning?! Due to the lack of cafein... I also started walking. I've been walking for 2 weeks. I've lost 2 kilos so far.

It'll be good to have a partner to do it... Let's do it!!

France
10-22-2014, 01:39 PM
if you really miss sodas, I highly suggest sweet leaf drops, they come in all sorts of flavours (including cola and root beer) and make drinking water or sparkly water easier, and they are so much better for you than all that stuff in sodas!!! They are stevia based, it seems expensive as it's around $15 a bottle (here) but you only need 3-4 drops to a cup.

I hope you're still going strong. I'm in my last week of the 21 day sugar detox myself... not so had as I've had hardly any sugar (other than stevia, xylitol and that found in fruit) for about two years (except on very very very rare occasions, which I can probably count on one hand!). I'm still probably ingesting too many carbs as the weight is not melting off, but some has come off :) Good luck!!!

DaniAlencar (JB Studio)
10-25-2014, 11:15 PM
Oh, changing habits are difficult, right?

I haven't done much progress last 3 weeks, I need to get back on track. I've lost 3,5Kg so far. I'm glad for that.

DaniAlencar (JB Studio)
10-25-2014, 11:15 PM
Oh, France... I love your siggie with Charmed, and those eyes moving are something! it's cute!!