PDA

View Full Version : What's in a name...

Ricki
08-04-2012, 01:50 PM
I have a few names, three.
I know which name goes where but now that GS is my 'sweet spot', :woot:, it can be confusing.

My formal name is Rachel. That's for the serious places, like newsletters and such. (that's the name I registered here). Then I have Ricki. That's the name I go by daily, for more than thirty years. On FB it's Ricki. Twitter too and a few more places.
THEN I have my web nick, littledino. That's a story on it's own..........

Since I have made GS my place I have decided to tell about it because I am starting to feel at home here and I also want to make a siggy with my name Ricki. If I wouldn't have explained, no on would know where the name Ricki popped up from :). Besides, where I feel at home I'm used to the name Ricki.

I didn't realize I would ever have the know-how to really participate in a forum so this is a little embarrassing surprise to me. Is there is any possibility of changing my forum name from littledino to Ricki now that I have told my 'name' story?

missdamsel
08-04-2012, 02:49 PM
I do believe I can change that for you. Just send me a pm if you do want me to change that for you.

Ricki
08-04-2012, 02:55 PM
Oh Missi! That would be awesome, thank you :) PM on it's way..........

charmedeebob
08-04-2012, 03:35 PM
but I want to hear the littledino story! :)

Ricki
08-04-2012, 03:51 PM
okay :) kinda silly.......blush blush.........
My son was with a computer before me and his nick is bigdino. So when I got my first computer, he helped me hook up and when we got to picking a nick for me, littledino was so obvious. And that's how I'm littledino for eight years now!
.......as if two names weren't enough......hehe

missdamsel
08-04-2012, 04:01 PM
You are all hooked up Ricki!! No more littledino here! lol Although that is funny, because it is similar to how I gt my missdamsel name. When hubby started on the internet (about a millkion years ago) he was Paladin, so when he hooked me up I became his missdamsel.

Ricki
08-04-2012, 04:25 PM
Oh this is great, thanks Missi! NOW I'm at home with my name :)

Thus the title, "What's in a name". I'm sure there are quite amusing stories about nicks and names!

geswho40
08-04-2012, 08:11 PM
Well mine isn't amusing but I'll bore you with it anywho, hehe. It started more than 10 years ago when I was setting up my AOL account and needed a user name. I wanted guesswho, but it was already taken, so I then I tried "geswho", and that was also taken, so I just added my age at the time in there. That way I am always 40 :) geswho40. Thinking back I should have been geswho30 so I could always be 30...oh well, so there you have it. Not as cute and interesting as yours! Great thread though, I like hearing how people came up with their user names

Ricki
08-04-2012, 08:44 PM
Maybe it should have been geswho20, that way you'd be 'young' forever! And it's not at all boring :) A cute story that came from the frustration that most names are taken, so this is an amusing subject!

StarWarsFans
08-04-2012, 09:10 PM
My username is because my husband and I met and fell in love because of Star Wars. So, we are Star Wars Fans. Pretty self explanatory! I always like hearing the stories behind usernames.

Sent from my VM670 using Forum Runner

Ricki
08-04-2012, 09:20 PM
My username is because my husband and I met and fell in love because of Star Wars. So, we are Star Wars Fans. Pretty self explanatory! I always like hearing the stories behind usernames.

Sent from my VM670 using Forum Runner

That is cool! Plucked from a movie, literally :)

Hildur
08-04-2012, 09:31 PM
Mine was easy being that there were little chances of Hildur being taken since it is so far from being a popular name in the US :) So I get to go by my real name. And since it got a neat meaning anyways I am all set. But Hildur means a valkyrie, the one who sits up with Odin the highest god in Nordic Mythology and gets sent down to the battle field to choose them men who will die in battle, but according to the Nordic Mythology only men could go to Valhöll (Valhalla) and the only way there was to die in battle.

Ricki
08-04-2012, 09:50 PM
Wow Hildur, what an awesome story! But your'e lucky, you got to stay with your real name :)

Sarah
08-04-2012, 10:30 PM
I use my real name. It's just simpler.
On other sites, I use SarahCB1208, which is my name, my middle and last initial, and my birthday.

GingerScraps
08-04-2012, 10:43 PM
Fun :) I love hearing these kinds of stories... Mine is quite self explanatory....
My name is Ginger, and when I started my first blog (for personal scrapping) it was GingerScraps. My blog grew and grew, and then I started designing. I open my first tiny little shop to sell my own designs, and start to bring some of my Cafe Mom scrappin friends over to a scrapping community with me. As time has gone by it has grown into what it is today!
Sometimes I feel kinda embarrassed about it... like I named the business after myself, but I really am not that vain. LOL, the name just grew into the much more than I ever even imagined. But even if my name was not Ginger, I still would have loved the name GingerScraps for a shop/site... cuz I LOVE that name, I think it is super cute :)
But rest assured, I did not name the site after myself just for vanity sake, lol.
SO ya, thats me.. GingerScraps :)

Ricki
08-04-2012, 10:45 PM
This is so fun to read about the meaning behind the names!!

MamaCake
08-05-2012, 12:41 AM
Loving this thread :) My screen name is kinda like some of yours where my husband had a nickname - Cake, when we met and my name grew out of it. When we put a 'cupcake' in the oven, hehe, it seemed obvious that I be MamaCake :D

Ricki
08-05-2012, 12:17 PM
Gina you sound yummy, Mamacake is a GingerBread Girl :)

sladd79054
08-05-2012, 01:18 PM
Well when we changed internet providers we had to set up a new email address and of course everything was taken so that is how I got my obnoxious user name I just used the beginning of our email sladd79054 it is my husbands first initial and our last name and the number is just what we ended up with. a lot of people think that the number is our zip code but its not :)

Ricki
08-05-2012, 01:51 PM
Oh Lisa that is amusing! And it does look like a zip code :)
I'm sure there are lots of funny email user names too....
....like mine. hain, each letter is the first letter in the name's of our four children.
And it goes by age. How typical of me.......... :D

MamaCake
08-05-2012, 02:19 PM
Gina you sound yummy, Mamacake is a GingerBread Girl :)

That's my dream! I'm working on it :D

msbrad
08-05-2012, 02:37 PM
These are all terrific! They all make perfectly good sense to me. Here's mine.
Mine pretty much came from my DD's friends at dance and the school where I was teaching.[DD also attended ]. Instead of them calling me, "Mrs. Bradshaw"...it turned into msbrad or MammaB. My initials were MB, and when I had to authorize/initial...it was mb or m.

Now the story behind the bluebird always on my avatar and siggie...
The school system sent myself and another teacher to a technology training [over 20 years ago]. I had zero clue. The instructor had no patience for us. Even went so far as to ask the group [all of which were educators], who would take on the "dodo birds" into their group for the project we were to create. It was very embarassing.

I vowed to learn...the computer. I decided I moved "up" to bluebird status, LOL.

Fast forward, to today, [actually about a year ago], I was at another technology training [the schools recieved pse 9 for the high stakes lab with Bill Gates monies]... that SAME instructor was there...
He was having an issue with the program. He was very, frustrated and asked his assistant [some IT in the county] to contact Adobe etc.

I spoke up [outloud] and interrupted. [that is not my norm, I'm usually quiet at those things]-
Try turning off caps lock and see if that helps...<wink></wink>

If nothing else, I get most improved. hehe

Ricki
08-05-2012, 02:52 PM
Wow Michelle, that's an awesome story! And about the instructor? What comes around goes around ;)

charmedeebob
08-05-2012, 04:14 PM
these are all so great!
and Michelle, oh my gosh, if I was in your shoes at that training, I would not have been able to keep the gloating smirk off of my face!!!! well earned Bluebird status!!!!
my name is a nickname that my BFF and I created in high school. It had something to do with the Doritos commercial that had "Bob" in it lol. Anyways, nowadays whenever I need a username, I use it...it's NEVER taken :)

Ricki
08-05-2012, 04:41 PM
Char that's so interesting! A name from a commercial :)

geswho40
08-05-2012, 07:13 PM
Michi, that is LOL funny, OMG, I wish I could have been there to see that one, haaaahaaa, too funny, and I think that should have jumped you right up to Cardinal status, lol.
Cute, cute stories, thanks for starting this thread Ricki, I agree, it's so interesting to hear how everyone came up with their User names

Ricki
08-05-2012, 08:39 PM
From seeking for a solution to my 'name' story it turned into this fun thread :) I enjoy reading all the stories too, very interesting!

Juliemomof4
08-05-2012, 09:26 PM
You girls and your clever names...mine is simple..I'm Julie and I am a Mom of 4 :) LOL! juliemomof4!

Ricki
08-05-2012, 09:30 PM
Julie your nick is so original :)

msbrad
08-05-2012, 10:38 PM
This thread is so much fun! Besides reading the stories, I feel I know y'all better.
m

scrappinbella
08-05-2012, 11:29 PM
Ok, when I started getting grandchildren, I did not want to be called grandma or grammy or grannie(no, not vanity , I just wanted another grandma name to distinguish me from the other grandmas...lol)..fast forward to the actual grandbabies....Albuela is the spanish word for grandmother..we tried that, but they coudn't say it..so Bella was conceived...and since I scrapped all the time.. and I needed a username..tah-dah scrappinbella..easy as that

missdamsel
08-05-2012, 11:33 PM
Lydia, That is funny about your "Grandma" name. My grandkids call me Missa. One of my daycare kid's mom started Missa back in the day!! lol

Ricki
08-05-2012, 11:54 PM
Lydia that is so sweet about your nick!

msbrad
08-06-2012, 12:06 AM
How cool on your name and ' bella' is beautiful!
m

dodgeladee
08-06-2012, 02:04 AM
What fun it is to learn all this stuff! A few years back a friend of mine was helping me set up my email. I am a big Dodge fan, and he said why not do dodgeladee? I tried to spell it like actual dodgelady but it was already taken. Now, it is never taken, so I don't have to worry.

MamaCake
08-06-2012, 03:30 AM
dodgeladee - that is funny because when I see your name I pronounce it as dodge lah dee, like la dee, la dah! not lady hehe

missdamsel
08-06-2012, 03:48 AM
I tend to forget the L and pronounce Dodge a dee. lol

dodgeladee - that is funny because when I see your name I pronounce it as dodge lah dee, like la dee, la dah! not lady hehe

dodgeladee
08-06-2012, 03:53 AM
OMG that is funny!! Both of you made me laugh!

missdamsel
08-06-2012, 04:04 AM
Well, at first I mis saw it completely and thought it was dodge a lee. ooops!!

OMG that is funny!! Both of you made me laugh!

dodgeladee
08-06-2012, 05:57 AM
That is so funny!! Names are so funny!

Ricki
08-06-2012, 05:59 AM
This is so amusing, loved the Dodge lady story! What a great way to start the day, with a chuckle and a smile :)

charmedeebob
08-06-2012, 06:23 AM
Haha I always thought of it as dodge la dee too lol. Funny how we "hear" things in our head! And i love the Bella nickname, what a sweet name from your grand babies!

msbrad
08-06-2012, 12:41 PM
I thought Dodge la dee too!
m

scrappinbella
08-06-2012, 02:06 PM
ditto...dodge-lah-deee for me too..duh.. why didn't i see lady for that one! this really is fun...a little more personal connection with y'all

dodgeladee
08-06-2012, 02:24 PM
This is why thus makes me laugh when I think of lah dee .. it makes me think in my head... "well lah dee dah".. my sister and i used to say that to each other when we thought the other one was being a snob.... lol!

Twin Mom Scraps
08-06-2012, 02:35 PM
mine is pretty obvious too :)
when i started designing, i wanted to create my blog and (designer name) with something that would represent me, my life, and who i was.
i am a mom, with twins, who likes to scrap...so naturally, Twin Mom Scraps, seemed pretty fitting :)

MamaCake
08-06-2012, 03:54 PM
This is why thus makes me laugh when I think of lah dee .. it makes me think in my head... "well lah dee dah".. my sister and i used to say that to each other when we thought the other one was being a snob.... lol!

what a snob you are hehe
just kidding! :)

Ricki
08-06-2012, 04:19 PM
when i started designing, i wanted to create my blog and (designer name) with something that would represent me, my life, and who i was.
i am a mom, with twins, who likes to scrap...so naturally, Twin Mom Scraps, seemed pretty fitting :)

I had a feeling it had to do with twins :)

What a great way to start knowing everyone!

dodgeladee
08-06-2012, 05:38 PM
I know, right, Gina! That's why it makes me laugh each time I think of you guys and my name! It never occurred to me that it would come across as LAH DEE!

Thanks Ricki for starting this thread! It is fun to learn about everyone!

missdamsel
08-06-2012, 08:16 PM
Figring out usernames is almost as fun as fihuring out personalized lisence plates!!

Ricki
08-06-2012, 08:26 PM
That's the fun with nick names :)

Luv Ewe Designs
08-06-2012, 08:32 PM
When I was brainstorming design names I wanted something to do with my actual name. My maiden name is Lamb and I thought something with "ewe" would be cute and then Luv Ewe popped into my head. Then I looked to see if the domain was taken, so Luv Ewe Designs it was!

Ricki
08-06-2012, 08:47 PM
When I was brainstorming design names I wanted something to do with my actual name. My maiden name is Lamb and I thought something with "ewe" would be cute and then Luv Ewe popped into my head. Then I looked to see if the domain was taken, so Luv Ewe Designs it was!

That is SO interesting!
I have seen your siggy a lot and I always read the 'ewe' as 'u' so I saw it as 'luv u designs' :)
....that's a bit embarrassing :blush

msbrad
08-06-2012, 10:51 PM

It makes sense! super name.
m

missdamsel
08-06-2012, 11:04 PM
And to think all this time that I thought it was a personal message telling me that you loved me!

:blush Now my bubble is busted! BUT I know you still love me!!:kisses

Luv Ewe Designs
08-06-2012, 11:45 PM
Awww sorry to bust your bubble! I still love you :)

And to think all this time that I thought it was a personal message telling me that you loved me!

:blush Now my bubble is busted! BUT I know you still love me!!:kisses