PDA

View Full Version : Desperately Seeking Virus help!!!

3BluEyedBabies
08-03-2012, 06:09 PM
So we have the xfinity triple play...cable, internet, phone, all in one deal. I don't think it's a deal, in fact if it were up to me, I'd cancel cable. I never watch it anyway. It is so expensive...the last time I looked at the bill I was shocked...it's around $180 per month. But, my husband pays for it and so he insists on keeping it.

It does include the Norton Security Suite. So I thought, great since we pay so darn much for this whole package, this security should be pretty good...right? Wrong! I'm pretty sure we have a virus or SOMETHING. The computer is new; only a few months old and is now SOOO SLOW. Lots of pop-ups; and some pages won't even load or take forever; especially FB; which we all NEED because of scrapping! :)

So I was wondering what you all use for virus protection..and if its free; that would be great! I just used AVG for the free month...didn't seem to do anything.

PLEASE HELP>>>and use simple terms...I'm no computer genius obviously!!

Nickala27
08-03-2012, 11:24 PM
This is my experience:

I use AVG and have never had a problem.

I have had Norton and it slowed my computer because it took heaps of memory to run. The joke in Australia about Norton is you'll never get a virus because you can't get anything done.

Most computers here come with a year of free Norton, after that most people change to something else. I suggest if you have discs for norton then try uninstalling it and for a trial download avg and see if it makes it better. You can always reinstall it if that's not the issue.

Hope this helps :) but as I say this is my experience so someone else may have a better solution

Ricki
08-04-2012, 06:21 AM
Norton is very heavy on the compter. AVG is good and so is Sopho's. I use Sopho's free version on my Mac. It's 'lite' on the computer and it works great.

msbrad
08-04-2012, 12:37 PM
We just finished the rid of a virus. I know exactly how I 'got' it.
Anyhow-
We use: AVG, Mal-ware Byte, and will do an occasional run thru with C-Cleaner. All are free and a trusting place to DL from is CNET (http://www.cnet.com/)

Another thing to do on a regular basis- is go to Tools at the top tool bar, and delete browsing history and temporary files. Also check your disk clean up, and defrag.
Because we, click and click and click [well at least I do] there is a lot of "gunk" that gets in there.
m

prettyingreen
08-04-2012, 01:00 PM
I use AVG Free and Mal-Ware bytes, on the advice of my computer techy friend, and havnt had any trouble in a long time, but i do try to avoid the file sharing sites now, that is where the last few came from. I havnt used Nortin since prolly highschool, so im not much help there

missdamsel
08-04-2012, 04:30 PM
And many people's biggest mistake is multiple virus softwares. People think if they have 2 or 3 then no virus can get thru, right? Wrong! The anti virsuses then spend too much time fighting each other that they aren't there when you realy need them.

Also, a big thing to watch out for are games and ads on sites such as facebook. I love Fb and I am on there all the time, I just avoid clicking the ads and I don't play any of the games.

Ricki
08-04-2012, 04:47 PM
You are so right Missi! Not only do multiple Anti Virus programs 'fight' against each other they also can collide, causing real damage to a computer. Being aware is the name of the game. I go by my "think before I click" rule, works all the time.

missdamsel
08-04-2012, 04:50 PM
People do not understand why I don't watch the videos on FB, MANY if not MOST of them are virus ridden. My rule of thumb is if I do not KNOW the person IN the video (such as a friends kid, etc) and the person who took and uploaded the video, I don't watch it. Just because your best friend shares or posts a video doesn't mean it is safe! If they didn't shoot he video or know who did, I don't click!

Not aimed at anyone who does, just sharing my policy!

geswho40
08-04-2012, 05:03 PM
I also use AVG and it does a really good job. It does sound like you might have a virus though, although I am not a computer person at all, and there's a lot of great advice here already for you. I hope you get it figured out. There is a way to check your computer to see what is running in the BG, but I can't remember how to do that. Does anyone here know how to do that?

Sarah
08-04-2012, 05:10 PM
I use Norton 360 and don't have issues. Only virus I got was with AVG.
I only use AVG on my phone.

Ricki
08-04-2012, 06:08 PM
I also use AVG and it does a really good job. It does sound like you might have a virus though, although I am not a computer person at all, and there's a lot of great advice here already for you. I hope you get it figured out. There is a way to check your computer to see what is running in the BG, but I can't remember how to do that. Does anyone here know how to do that?

Hi Toni!
This can help but PLEASE, if anyone isn't sure I wouldn't want to take responsibility. That would make me feel awful. Do this only if there is confidence. I have a Mac but I remember from my PC days AND I Googled it:

On PC:
ctrl-alt-delete, then choose Task Manager OR run taskmgr from the start menu/run
Click the tab labeled "Processes." The box under "CPU Usage" shows the activity of your computer's CPU. The boxes under "CPU Usage History" show the usage history of each CPU core.

On Mac:
Activity monitor is in the Applications folder, there in the Utilities folder.

geswho40
08-04-2012, 07:05 PM
This sounds harmless, is it dangerous to do? My boss showed me a long time ago and I just couldn't remember how to do it. Are you concerned about what people will do after they get to that, lol, like delete something...? Thank you for that, I appreciate it!

Ricki
08-04-2012, 07:30 PM
My advice Toni is to go ahead and try, and if you reach a point where you are not sure back out, it isn't really dangerous. If you have basic knowledge then it shouldn't be a problem. You can always leave any window by clicking the red X.

Yes, I always get a bit worried when I give advice, even if I'm sure. Sometimes the wrong key gets pressed by mistake and oh boy......this is from my early comp days, very sad experiences.

I haven't had a PC in more than a year so I'm better with Mac's :)

...............I thought I was being SO smart one day long ago, my PC days, and decided to delete unknown Folder names. I felt real good that I was "cleaning" my computer so I went on and also removed some unknown Programs from the computer.

Did I mention I was computer-less for TWO weeks as a result?!?!? :shock...............

geswho40
08-04-2012, 07:59 PM
OMG...NIGHTMARE!!! I remember considering that once or twice too , lol.

Ricki
08-04-2012, 08:52 PM
Terrible. I felt my mind was literally on hold all that time :( and boy did I ever learn my lesson. So it's a good thing you only considered!

MSPeeler
08-05-2012, 03:26 AM
Never delete .dll files, lol

Ricki
08-05-2012, 12:22 PM
If only I knew then Michelle because those were the MOST I deleted! oh boy........ :)

msbrad
08-05-2012, 06:31 PM
If only I knew then Michelle because those were the MOST I deleted! oh boy........ :)

OH dear....
m

Ricki
08-05-2012, 11:10 PM
Yep, m. A HUGE oh dear, oh boy and oh my! ;)