PDA

View Full Version : Need some moral support- NOW!

photom
08-02-2012, 03:18 AM
ok. so i havent been around, because ive been working. One of the guys that i have been working with has some major anxiety/ mental issues. he has chosen me as the person that he looks to. about 20-30% of the day he either is watching me or my computer screen. VERY UNCOMFORTABLE SITUATION ! it is a temp job, but I've never walked away from a position like this. he has been having some major reactions at work, which really freak me out.
has anyone been in any situation like this before? how do i handle it? i have been working my tail off and i hate to walk away and jeopardize future job sites, but i don't feel safe.
thanks.

Colleen
08-02-2012, 03:32 AM
I really think if you don't feel safe and feel uncomfortable, you should contact Human Resources. That is the course that I would take. I haven't ever dealt with this situation before though... This is not a good situation for you to have to deal with at work. I hope you get this resolved quickly!

msbrad
08-02-2012, 03:37 AM
Oh dear... here I am first to respond....
Now, I am treating you as a daughter [I'm old]...my advice-
I understand your work situation...
DO your job. Remain professional.
Stay in full site of everyone and document everything you can.
As you can, since temporay, relate your findings [documented] to your boss.

I will keep you in prayer.

IF - still not comfortable, walk away... it was not meant to be. Do not lower yourself.
hugs
m

Nickala27
08-02-2012, 04:00 AM
I agree approach someone in Human Resources or your boss and express that you don't feel safe.

There was a situation at work where we had a guy who would latch onto people and talk and talk and talk. When we realised this was happening to someone we would go to another phone and ring them to request there help to get them away. But he never made us feel unsafe so I'm not sure this would work in your situation.

If talking to your boss or HR doesn't help you need to walk away. Ultimately no job is worth it when you feel uncomfortable or unsafe.

3BluEyedBabies
08-02-2012, 05:06 AM
I agree with everyone else; you need to talk to HR. I worked with someone who would show up to work smelling like alcohol and for the safety of ourselves and our residents (I worked in a nursing home) we had to speak up. There were nights when he would just flip out...because he was drunk; and our supervisor always made excuses for him. We went above her to the Director of Nursing. I'm sure others there probably feel the same as you. No job is worth feel unsafe. Prayers your way!

GingerScraps
08-02-2012, 06:46 AM
I can't offer much advice, but I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Hugs Sara.

photom
08-02-2012, 01:54 PM
since its a temp agency, i am going to call my supervisor and tell them i don't feel comfortable there anymore. if the kid comes up, i have the right to tell them why I'm uncomfortable and that he is unstable. i would just hate for him to react to my actions, is the only reason i hesitate . they will find out soon enough. i just don't want to seem like its tatling.

msbrad
08-02-2012, 03:30 PM
It's not tattling. You are a person with the right to feel comfortable in your surroundings. Do not be intimidated.
m

charmedeebob
08-02-2012, 03:43 PM
oh honey its not tattling, its your safety and the safety of others too! document document document, and make sure you tell your supervisor! *hugs*

photom
08-02-2012, 04:05 PM
so i called. now all i can do is wait...and check out all the fun new goodies I've missed here!

Neverland Scraps
08-02-2012, 06:25 PM
good for you for calling!! Yeah for all the good advice given! Will keep you and your saftey in prayer!!

Hildur
08-02-2012, 11:34 PM
It is deffinetly not tattling when it is inregards to your safety. You are also not giving it your full effort if you do not feel safe at work. I would deffinetly talk to HR and your agency. Keeping fingers and toes crossed for you that ti can all work out safely.

JillW
08-03-2012, 12:48 AM
I think you did the right thing by calling as well --- does the company you are working at go through any sort of harassment training?
In the company I work for, "harassment" is characterized by any unwanted attention from someone - basically, someone doing something that makes you uncomfortable.

Good luck Sarah and keep us posted!

photom
08-03-2012, 01:00 AM
No- it doesn't. Well, after an all-day thing, they figured it was better to just pull me from that site- which I HATE because I really do think it put a mark on my assignment, and I worked my BUTT off there! And he's sitting pretty, getting paid for at least another week for something he really isn't doing. I'm sure that after a few more times trying to place him, they will stop giving him positions, BUT it takes away opportunities from honest HARD workers like me.
I'm so sorry to dump all this on you guys. My husband just told me to let it go, but a) it's money that we needed out of our pockets, b) I feel violated and hurt, and c) it really just isn't fair. I'm not saying that to be the kids on the playground "but he looked at me.... (quite literally actually!)," it was just WAY more than that. Who knows what tomorrow will bring. All I know is that without a job, I will be thinking about the situation night and day for the next few weeks. I can't order my kids curriculum until money comes, and that's not going to be there for who knows how long. It just makes me want to go and just put the kids in school (because honestly my husband doesn't trust the curriculum that I have been finding- HE has to see for himself), and go out and work. I know it's not where I'm supposed to be, but quite honestly, it may be that or separation.

Thanks again for letting me pour over your shoulder. I can't even imagine what winter will be like it I'm already losing it before summer is even over!