PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated BIG Time

Gmas Babies
07-22-2012, 03:12 AM
I am frustrated and hope someone can help me out. Please.

I had to transfer all my pics and my scrapbook stuff to my new Seagate Free Agent Go Flex 1 tb EHD today. It took me over 5 hours to do so and that was just for the scrapbook stuff. Any way, after the transfer was complete, I opened my PSP program (which worked fine yesterday) and PSP froze. I uninstalled and reinstalled PSP 3 times today to no avail. It still froze. I cussed it out several times and got mad and just walked away from it.

I unplugged the new EHD and my PSP opens and works fine. There is a conflict somewhere between the 2 programs somewhere and it's driving me crazy.

Has anyone ever had a problem with this sort of thing and if so what did you do?

Any help would be great...

Thank you so much
Lori

Tree City
07-22-2012, 03:24 AM
oh no! I wish I could help but I have absolutely no idea what could be wrong. :( When I read your post, the first thing I thought was "How could an EHD interfere with what happens on the computer?" Have you tried using any other programs while your EHD is connected? (I'm wondering if somehow the EHD is pulling so much RAM that there's nothing left for other programs...but why would it need so much RAM?)
Like I said, I'm pretty much an idiot when it comes to these things lol, so I'm not much help. But I'll cross my fingers that you get it figured out ASAP!

Colleen
07-22-2012, 03:30 AM
I have no idea why that would be happening either. I have had 5 EHDs through the last few years, and I have never had them have a conflict with any of my programs.... I have had the Seagate brand ones too.

I hope you can figure it out. I know how frustrating things like that can be. :(

prettyingreen
07-22-2012, 04:12 AM
Ditto to what the girls said, i hope you get some help, here's a bump

JillW
07-22-2012, 05:18 AM
Oh how frustrating! I'm so sorry!!

Here's a link that may have some useful information ... http://forum.corel.com/EN/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=47241&view=next - talks about making sure your PSP is up to date and has some other things to check - I hope it helps!!

Gmas Babies
07-22-2012, 06:03 AM
Oh how frustrating! I'm so sorry!!

Here's a link that may have some useful information ... http://forum.corel.com/EN/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=47241&view=next - talks about making sure your PSP is up to date and has some other things to check - I hope it helps!!

Thank you SO much for this link. I will check into it in the morning as I am still too frustrated with the whole thing. Uggh...

AmyP
07-22-2012, 03:21 PM
OH! I am frustrated for you!!! I wish I could help! You've already done everything I know to do lol!
Good luck getting it figured out; I can only imagine how irritated you must be!

kl.winters
07-22-2012, 06:09 PM
That's weird, Lori! I've never heard of an EHD interfering with a program like that before. I hope you figure it out. And let us know, okay.

Nickala27
07-22-2012, 10:51 PM
I don't use PSP (so not sure how the program retrieves its files) but have you tried just letting the program just sit in it's frozen state for a while. Sometimes when I move a whole lot of my scrapping files around it takes a little while for my program to register that the files are in a different location and freezes while doing so. Other than that I have know idea sorry!

Sarah
07-23-2012, 01:25 AM
I don't use PSP (so not sure how the program retrieves its files) but have you tried just letting the program just sit in it's frozen state for a while. Sometimes when I move a whole lot of my scrapping files around it takes a little while for my program to register that the files are in a different location and freezes while doing so. Other than that I have know idea sorry!

I agree with that.
Also make sure you've done a registry/file clean-up. It can cause issues, too.

Heidi1472
07-23-2012, 02:48 AM
I would be frustrated too and I hope some of the above hints help you out. My son has told me for years that Seagate EHD's are pieces of crap and not to ever, ever, ever waste your money on them. I bought one and had lots of issues with it, not nearly to the extent as you are having, and that is when he told me they are crap. So sorry! Can you return it and get a Western Digital or another brand and try that?

Good luck!!

Gmas Babies
07-23-2012, 03:50 AM
Thank you everyone for you comments, concerns and suggestions. After 2 days and a few more gray hairs, I have given up on it for now. Hubby did find out that what I have to do if I want to use PSP and this bleeping EHD, is Open the PSP program and let it sit, then plug in the EHD. That is such a pain for me because I leave them plugged in for the most part. I leave my other EHD plugged in and never ever have a problem with it and PSP.

I guess doing it as he suggested isn't a big issue really, just something else I have to adjust to and do differently. I have contacted Seagate via emailing tech support today and those "people" don't know what they are talking about as he sent me a link for a mac and I don't have a mac. LOL. Guess I will call them tomorrow and actually talk to someone. Grrr. If I get no resolution, I will erase the stinking thing, take it back and get something different as Heidi suggested.

Any way, thank you again everyone for your support and suggestions.

Colleen
07-23-2012, 02:59 PM
I wonder if you maybe just want to take it back right now? Maybe there is a problem with the EHD in general. I would hate for it to go out on you completely a few months down the road. Just a thought. :)

Ambelleina
07-23-2012, 04:37 PM
Agreed with Colleen, maybe it is defective. I have the exact same EHD and I've never had an issue with it. My brother and boyfriend both build their own computers and they both suggested Seagate as a good brand. Mine holds ALL my scrapping stuff, but I'm not a PSP user, I use PS CS6 Extended; I was using CS3 and it worked fine with it, too.

It really sounds like an issue, though, that doesn't have to do with the EHD. My CS3 used to freeze up and time out sometimes and it wasn't the EHD, it was my computer. As Sarah suggested, you might want to clean up your computer a bit and run a registry cleaner. CCleaner works really well and it's free.

I'd suggest unhooking the EHD, unstalling PSP, rebooting, running CCleaner to clean up the caches and registries, defrag your on-board HD, rebooting again, reinstalling PSP and rehooking the EHD. I kept having issues with CS6 when I first installed (froze, timed out, had to kill from Task Manager) and used to have the same issues with CS3 sometimes, but after doing all that to make sure everything was clean, it works just fine now.

If you KEEP having the same issue, you either have a defective EHD or the version of PSP you're using may not be compatible with it (too old).

Neverland Scraps
07-23-2012, 05:28 PM
I am frustrated for you with having to deal with that. Golly I have so many ehd's, which are always plugged in all the time and never had any problem with my psp opening or crashing!!

I do agree, that it might just be a defective ehd and you might want to try replacing it with another one, whether it be the same brand or not. I've only used Western Digital ehd's and swear by them as I've not had any problems with them. Good luck Lori. Im sorry you are going through this ((hugs))