PDA

View Full Version : Veterinarian anyone?

MSPeeler
07-10-2012, 07:03 AM
So, For the past few days (maybe a week), my dog has been having random short-lived episodes of heaving/coughing with a grunting sound, without vomiting. She acts as if she is trying to cough something up, but nothing comes up. Not sure what to do, as we can not afford to take her to the vet at this time!

Pet Information:
Type of Animal: Siberian Husky
Pet's Gender: Female
Pet's Age: 18 months
Name of Dog: Zoe

I took a video, because its too hard to explain:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oJGGyNKfEM&feature=g-upl

Terra
07-10-2012, 08:30 AM
Is she lethargic? Does she still do her normal activity and play? I know Gus gets into weird sneezy/cough-y fits sometimes and it's normal... but it's hard to know what to say.... Is her nose cold and wet? If her energy & activity are normal... and she's eating... and her nose is cold and wet... It may be something as simple as like allergies maybe? eek... I don't know... I just know whenever all of the above are normal, my vet tells me not to worry unless something starts to change...

If you have a regular vet, sometimes you can call and explain that you don't have the money to bring the dog in and they will tell you (as much as they can without seeing her) what to look for or if it sounds serious.

Terra
07-10-2012, 08:31 AM
maybe even shooting them an email with your video might help.

geswho40
07-10-2012, 12:51 PM
First of all ...OMG your Zoe is GORGEOUS, (those eyes...wow) and she made me smile when she went on her back for a second, hahaha. I am not a vet, but I have extensive experience working with dogs through animal rescue. I have seen this a lot, and is called a backwards/reverse sneeze and is very common in dogs. Sometimes it is because they have something they are trying to clear from the back of their throat, some irritant, but usually isn't dangerous. Sometimes it could be allergies or a reaction to something you are using to clean your home. It's more common in dogs with flat faces like pugs, and dogs as they get older. If she is eating and drinking and playing normally, and is not having any discharge from her nose, I would give her a few days to clear whatever it is. You can also message the neck, but I have never been successful with this. If she isn't eating and drinking normally, then I would take her to the vet because then it could be more serious, and you don't want it to get into their lungs. Anywho you can google it now that you know what it's called and see if you can find more info on it. Good luck with her and keep us posted :)

Ambelleina
07-10-2012, 02:53 PM
Furball? No wait, that's cats...

I don't know how to dogs.

prettyingreen
07-10-2012, 03:11 PM
my dog does that, it like when they have something up their nose.

mamaape
07-10-2012, 03:15 PM
My Alfie does that EXACT same thing.

Though we've never taken him to the vet, my assumption (due to the timing of when he gets these "attacks") is perhaps asthma for dogs? Or just like out of breath. I noticed when he's REALLY excited to go out for a walk and will pull and get want to RUUUUUUN but I haul him up and keep him in line, he starts to wheeze(?) like that. He also does it around the house when he gets really worked up.

Like Terra said, does Zoe resume normal play? Is it just a brief episode and she's a-okay after? Then it might just be nothing overly concerning. Alfie will have a small episode and then just be back to normal. At first I was super scared when he initially did it, but it's rare (MAYBE once every couple months?) and at his last check up he was aces. So.. I'd suggest calling too, or emailing the video! That's smart! :)

mamaape
07-10-2012, 03:16 PM
p.s. I totally didn't read much of the other responses here before I posted, but now that I did, those make sense too :)

mamaape
07-10-2012, 03:17 PM
p.p.s. Zoe is FREAKINGGORGEOUS

Lisa
07-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Yep, sounds like the reverse sneeze, (we call them snorfells) both my dogs do it occasionally. The Puggle more than the Beagle, probably because of her short snout. Sometimes rubbing her throat will help.

...that will be $65.00. :)

Neverland Scraps
07-10-2012, 06:07 PM
I was going to suggest kennel cough since that's what our puppy did for a couple of months. But I like the other people's suggestions. I also have to agree, Zoe is BEAUTIFUL!! I always wanted a siberan husky, but due to my allergies and lack of space we knew we could never get one. For now, I am just always jealous of those who do own one! She's beautiful! I hope she starts feeling better soon.

MSPeeler
07-10-2012, 07:24 PM
Thank you SO much for all the responses and compliments on her, she really is such a beautiful and well mannered dog!!!

To answer some questions/suggestions:

Terra- She is the same little puppy we've always had! She's playful and happy and non-agressive....

Toni- I was suspecting a backward sneeze, but it seems to be everyday, multiple times per day, lol. I used to work at an Animal Hospital (7+ years), and if things hadnt ended badly, I'd call the vet! LOL

LOL Christina, it very well could be hairballs with her, she sheds something terrible and is constantly grooming herself like a cat!

April- She does it all the time, when she plays, when she sleeps (like in the video), etc. But she does it multiple times a day and it's been a week now or a little longer even.

LOL Lisa- uhm.... the check is in the mail ;)

Wendy- I would also think kennel cough if she wasn't vaccinated. We JUST did her Bordatella in May, so I know it isn't that, since the vaccine is good for 6+ months and she isn't around any other dogs. :)

So general concenses... I'm thinking allergies. She is currently playing with my daughter, who is dressed as a cat, go figure, LOL... {see video below}, and yes, my son is dressed in her Cinderella costume in the background, lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mHyzQnyIFY&hd=1

geswho40
07-11-2012, 04:02 AM
What a fabulous dog she is too, she plays so nicely with the little kitty, lol. Bummer if it's allergies, but it's always something isn't it! And by the way when I saw your title to the thread, at first I thought it said Vegetarian anyone? And I was wondering what the dog video had to do with food:hysterical:

Colleen
07-15-2012, 03:24 AM
I was going to say the same thing - reverse sneeze! My brother's dog (a Brittney) does the same thing. We will rub his throat too, but I don't know how much it really helps. lol
Yep, sounds like the reverse sneeze, (we call them snorfells) both my dogs do it occasionally. The Puggle more than the Beagle, probably because of her short snout. Sometimes rubbing her throat will help.

...that will be $65.00. :)

scrapjrlgcp
07-15-2012, 08:48 PM
hope your beautiful baby gets better soon!!

jennaedwards
07-16-2012, 12:37 AM
I too thought vegetarian... hehe!

What a fabulous dog she is too, she plays so nicely with the little kitty, lol. Bummer if it's allergies, but it's always something isn't it! And by the way when I saw your title to the thread, at first I thought it said Vegetarian anyone? And I was wondering what the dog video had to do with food:hysterical:

geswho40
07-19-2012, 02:43 AM
How is Zoe doing now, any better?

MSPeeler
07-19-2012, 03:09 AM
Thank you Toni for asking! No, not really. I think that she may have an upper respiratory infection now... she actually coughed up a good sized hunk of snot {tmi, sorry} the other day, and it was green/thick. I just dont know what to do, I can't afford a vet or meds really... I cant even afford the dog..... put it on our impulsive bad ideas list.... :/

Colleen
07-19-2012, 04:33 AM
Can you talk to the vet about maybe taking payments? I think it might be best to take her in. Sometimes if things are treated in a timely fashion, they can get worse and cost more money in the end. Otherwise, have you called the vet to get an opinion over the phone? They are usually willing to talk to you about the situation over the phone, and that is free! ;) Then they can help guide you in the right direction and perhaps give you estimates on the cost of care.
Thank you Toni for asking! No, not really. I think that she may have an upper respiratory infection now... she actually coughed up a good sized hunk of snot {tmi, sorry} the other day, and it was green/thick. I just dont know what to do, I can't afford a vet or meds really... I cant even afford the dog..... put it on our impulsive bad ideas list.... :/

scrappydoo82
07-20-2012, 02:34 AM
Just an idea -- maybe try giving her benydryl? My vet told me I could give ours it to calm him down when we go on trips since he hyperventalates and gets sick (not my cup of tea). I think it was like 1/2 a pill. He's about 70lbs - so pretty sure that would be a safe amount for her too. I would just assume that would help you figure out if she had allergies? Dont' quote me though hehe

We go through Banfield in PetSmart for our vet. They are wonderful!! We pay $24 a month, and get free office visits & vaccinations. If his meds are crazy priced.. they will see if they have it free at Publix/WinnDixie in a generic form. I have learned that I have to ask for that though.

MSPeeler
07-20-2012, 02:42 AM
Thanks. I did work at a veterinary hospital for almost 8 years (7), and didn't even think about benedryl which would probably help a bit. (it's 1 to 2 mg per pound).

I may call the vet tomorrow, and ask their suggestion, but around here, vets aren't so easy to come with information without money.

scrappydoo82
07-20-2012, 02:48 AM
I may call the vet tomorrow, and ask their suggestion, but around here, vets aren't so easy to come with information without money.

Yeah, ours are very picky because they want the money up front. They will work with you on payments IF you are a regular and always pay. When we 1st took Harley in there he was 3 months old and we thought he had mange. $360 later.... we found out he had dermatitis. Now I have to buy medicated shampoo and wash him every 2 weeks. I can't believe how expensive he is in just a months time.