PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid Help

mamaape
07-03-2012, 05:42 PM
So.

I love banners, duh.
Of course I'm going to partake in this month's Hybrid Challenge.

BUT

When creating Hybrid stuffs, I mean, like, how?

Do you create then print, or do you actually PRINT elements and glue, tape whatever?

I'm so ignorant of all this hybrid stuffs and any help would, well, help.

For right now, I'm creating in PS(CS5) and my thought process was create, print, hang (because I'm making a full on banner, heck to the yes).

Is there some key things I need to remember when creating, or printing? I mean WHERE do you print? (if you don't have a working printer at home) Is there certain paper, whatever you use?

See, really ignorant.

Help? Please?

:thanx:

Sarah
07-03-2012, 05:47 PM
I design, print, and I'm done. Sometimes I add some gems or whatnot, but not often. I do all the designing in Photoshop :D

I use my regular printer (an all-in-one), and basic cardstock paper.

Lisa
07-03-2012, 05:54 PM
You can print everything as one or print a few elements separately then glue or tape them on. I like to add something with dimension, like real buttons or string. I was a paper scrapper, so I'm always trying to use up my room full of stuff.

I print on cardstock at home, but you can also get stuff printed at an office store, like Staples/Office Depot.

Sarah
07-03-2012, 05:56 PM
You should also be able to get it printed at any basic box store that offers same-day printing, like Walmart, Costco, etc ;)
I wouldn't know because I've only printed at home and via Persnickety Prints :D

Colleen
07-03-2012, 06:24 PM
I've done both design all in Adobe and print without glue and design in Adobe, separate the layers, print, cut out, and glue. ;)

I made a birthday banner before, but I want to say that I didn't do any glueing. I would look at the pictures, but they are 1900 or so miles away! ;)

nikkiecole71
07-03-2012, 09:58 PM
Sorry for highjacking your thread mamaape but I just thought of a question. Is there a way to use this on a cricut if you don't have sure cuts alot? Cricut takes cut files.

Sarah
07-03-2012, 10:01 PM
Sorry for highjacking your thread mamaape but I just thought of a question. Is there a way to use this on a cricut if you don't have sure cuts alot? Cricut takes cut files.

I don't think so, and from my understanding, Cricut sent updates or whatever that blocked that from working

JillW
07-03-2012, 10:16 PM
I'm pretty new to hybrid projects - have done mostly cards and a few banners.
I design things to print in PSP X4 and then save the files as jpegs and open them with my Silhouette software and work them in to my project - I guess that really doesn't answer your question though April, except for the fact that I print and cut ... I can't answer about the Cricut machine and cutting files ...

nikkiecole71
07-04-2012, 03:05 AM
Thanks for replying. My poor cricut has been neglected lately.

MSPeeler
07-04-2012, 04:22 AM
WOOOO, Thanks April!!! I didn't want to ask all these important questions for myself... SO glad you asked, because I wouldn't have. (And my daughters party is on Saturday, and I want to make a banner!)

WendyBird
07-04-2012, 05:24 PM
Yay for first hybrids!

I have some tutorials on my blog you may want to check out! :)

Just doing a straight print and cut is the best way to start out, then as you do more try separating the layers before you print, cutting them out separately and gluing them back together - you'll be surprised at how much difference the additional layers will make! Then when you start adding 3D elements, watch out! lol

I do my printing at home. Card stock works, but it does soak up more ink which can tend to make your colors a little dull. I prefer Epson Double Sided Matte Presentation paper (http://www.staples.com/Epson-Double-Sided-Premium-Presentation-Paper-Matte-Finish/product_474285). It’s about the same weight as card stock but has a beautiful finish. I have a project I printed on both types of paper and need to post the pictures - the color difference is incredible!

Office supply stores can print on card stock for you too though! Should be about $1 a page.

Nikkiecole, unfortunately there's no way to make it work with Cricut - they have blocked everything except for their own cartridge files. There were big lawsuits filed by ProvoCraft...

I love answering questions and bringing people over to the sticky side ;)

Sarah
07-04-2012, 05:37 PM
Listen to Wendy!! She knows her stuff, and I'm not just saying that as one of her former CT ;)

MSPeeler
07-05-2012, 06:04 AM
Thanks for the paper recommendation Wendy!!!

WendyBird
07-05-2012, 03:23 PM
I posted a new tutorial on my blog last night :)
Inking Edges and a giveaway! (http://www.wendybirddesigns.net/inking-edges-tutorial-and-giveaway/)

mamaape
07-05-2012, 03:42 PM
I just want to say, thank you everyone for the pointers and tips and Wendy for the tuts!

Ambelleina
07-05-2012, 07:14 PM
I do both; I've done create/print, and I've also done print out ellies, then create. And I don't have any fancy cutting stuff, just scissors and a x-acto knife. Speaking of, can anyone recommend an inexpensive quality cutting mat? I work on my computer desk for hybrid stuff and it's COVERED in nicks now. >>

Sarah
07-05-2012, 07:15 PM
Xacto has one. I got it at.Walmart.

WendyBird
07-05-2012, 10:17 PM
I have this Helix one
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51FoZ6FuX3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/Helix-Craft-Cutting-Purple-37056/dp/B00290GYY0/ref=sr_1_73?ie=UTF8&qid=1341522743&sr=8-73&keywords=self+healing+cutting+mat)

and this Martha Stewart one
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51IU8czuO-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/Martha-Stewart-Crafts--12-Inch-Cutting/dp/B002BTOT14/ref=sr_1_62?ie=UTF8&qid=1341522718&sr=8-62&keywords=self+healing+cutting+mat)
I very rarely use the MS one because the 12x12 size is cumbersome (it sure doesn't seem like it when it's on the screen LOL) and I also like the thick plastic of the Helix. It's probably a quarter inch thick while the MS is very thin. It's heavy duty so no fear of cutting through or anything like that...