PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone...

brenian4ever
06-07-2012, 03:11 PM
Experienced Carpal Tunnel? Last night my right index finger(mouse finger) started hurting every time I bend it and I have noticed for a couple weeks now, every time I get on the computer first thing in the morning and use the mouse, my thumb and index finger on that hand go to sleep! Just what I need...I am sooo NOT giving up my scrapping...lol Is there anything I can do for it minus surgery?

Sniksnak
06-07-2012, 03:14 PM
I have no experience with this but how about changing mouse hand for a while?

msbrad
06-07-2012, 03:15 PM
Read thru this. It might help.
http://www.ehow.com/how_4491_avoid-carpal-tunnel.html
m

photom
06-07-2012, 03:43 PM
I'm not sure about it, but the very end of that tells about tingling fingers, so you may want to get it checked out. As for me, I've been dealing with what feels like a "sprained wrist" for months. It doesn't get in the way of most normal activities, but every once in a while it is just downright painful. I, too, was wondering if it was a symptom of Carpal Tunnel.

Colleen
06-07-2012, 04:15 PM
Yeah carpal tunnel sucks! I got it when I was pregnant with both my kids. It was extremely painful, and I would lose the strength in my wrist! I had my wrists give out on me a couple of times when lifting something heavy. :( Yeah, I experienced the numbness and tingling too. I wore special wrist braces to help give support. I wore them when sleeping and off and on during the day. They did help even though they were annoying to wear during the day! I had less pain, tingling, and numbing if I kept up with wearing the braces.

I actually just had a flair up of it a couple of weeks ago. It was AWFUL! LOL I had a tough time sleeping at night because the pain was so terrible. I was constantly having a tingling sensation and had no strength. What really helped was a heating pad this time. I didn't have the braces.... I would put a heating pad on my wrist as often as possible and as long as possible. That seemed to speed up the recovery on it. I hope it stays away for good! lol

Ambelleina
06-07-2012, 04:30 PM
YES, it sucks. When it hits me, I get a sharp, sometimes tingling pain that runs from the bottom side of the base of my thumb up to the blade of my pointer finger. I also get the aching in my wrist and across my palm and I when affected, I can't grip or make a fist. I'll also get dull thudding pain in my pointer/index knuckles. And I'm only 25! :(

Not only do I scrap on my computer, but I also work on a computer for 40 hours a week. All I do is type, click, type, click so yes, my right hand (mouse hand) definitely flares up with CT sometimes, but I have to literally work through it. Braces help, but I generally just work through the pain because I have to. :/

trina513
06-07-2012, 05:26 PM
Sooo Colleen - does that mean you're pregnant again!? ;) Tee hee

Sorry to haer you're having pain - I wouldnt want to give up scrapping either - NOT AN OPTION! LOL!!

Hope it goes away quickly!!

Colleen
06-07-2012, 07:55 PM
DO NOT EVEN UTTER THOSE WORDS! ;) Nope, I am not pregnant. I can say that with absolute certainty too! :)
Sooo Colleen - does that mean you're pregnant again!? ;) Tee hee

Sorry to haer you're having pain - I wouldnt want to give up scrapping either - NOT AN OPTION! LOL!!

Hope it goes away quickly!!

msbrad
06-07-2012, 09:59 PM
All the tingling I've had, has stemmed from my neck. Hoping the link I placed helps you out.
m

scrappydoo82
06-07-2012, 11:33 PM
My hubs had it in both his hands and ended up having to have the surgery. He complained about his thumb hurting and then his hand would go numb. He was always dropping things and couldn't open jars. Once he had the sugery, it got better. He still has problems with not feeling how tight he closes things and opening bottles but no where like it was before.

I get that problem with my thumb and it goes to my wrist. I stop getting on the laptop for a day or so. I think it has to do with my board being flat, and i used to have a ergonomic keyboard with my desktop. Those days I really start thinking about getting a hand brace because that's what they started him on using.

If it gets too bad really go to the dr. and talk to them about it.

brenian4ever
06-07-2012, 11:39 PM
Thanks guys. It got pretty bad today. I went to use a pen to write something and could hardly grip it. Then the pain started going all the way down my arm. I could hardly open the cap on my bottle of tea today. I am hoping this upcoming vacation from the pc will help. Thanks for the article!

nutsaboutgabe
06-08-2012, 10:17 AM
Make sure you are keeping your wrist and arm in a straight line with the table/desk and have it fully supported. In other words...no reaching to your mouse and keyboard. However, if the problem is present now, the best medicine will be to step back from the computer and take at least a few days off completely and when you go back to it, make sure you're following the tips on the link sent by Michi.

Thanks guys. It got pretty bad today. I went to use a pen to write something and could hardly grip it. Then the pain started going all the way down my arm. I could hardly open the cap on my bottle of tea today. I am hoping this upcoming vacation from the pc will help. Thanks for the article!

chigirl
06-08-2012, 12:56 PM
i've had it for several years since i work all day on a computer then scrap when home, so pretty much all day computer working. i would recommend that your work station be set up ergonomincally, that's very important, placement of keyboard, mouse, etc. never higher than your elbows. i work on a pull out keyboard drawer.
also, ice wrap your hand when resting is possible. there are also braces for your hand and wrist, but they take some getting used to.
i went to physical therapy everyday for 3 years for mine, so i'm very careful now and make sure i get some rest, that's when i enjoy my second fav hobby, reading.
good luck, hope you can solve yours before it gets too bad.

photom
06-09-2012, 02:59 AM
I'm glad you will be able to step back for a few days. I hope that it fully does the trick, and things can get back to mostly normal after. After a wrist flare-up, I limit my time on the computer to 1/4-1/2 of what it had been, and after a week, I can gradually increase my time again.

Twin Mom Scraps
06-09-2012, 04:36 PM
after my pregnancy with my girls (having gained 75 pounds and extreme swelling) i developed what the doctor called "mother's wrist". basically inflamed tissues and from picking babies up in and out of crib, etc. so not exactly carpal tunnel, but i experience similar symptoms...pain and tingling. mine is not severe enough for surgery though. however, a friend of mine had her carpal tunnel done in january (i took her). it was out-patient. and she is doing just fine. she struggled with the weakness for several weeks, but she isn't on the computer all the time like we are either. so i don't think it bothered her like it would us. maybe ask doctor about anti-inflammatories first before surgery? or try high-dose motrin at home?

sparkysgirl
06-09-2012, 06:21 PM
The advice about keeping your wrist straight is really good and really important. I have an ergonomically correct keyboard that forces me to hold my wrist straight (in line with my hand). I also have a mouse pad that is ergonomically correct, too. It has a gel roll right at the base where my wrist lays in relation to the mouse. You could probably duplicate this with a rolled hand towel. You can also purchase a wrist brace that will align your wrist and hold it straight while you're at the computer. You might try putting a heating pad and then ice on your wrist joint to relieve the pain. Hope you're on the mend soon!

Jodi
06-11-2012, 02:07 PM
I had pregnancy carpel tunnel as well. Didn't actually hit till after Rebekah was born but it was only about a couple weeks after she was born that I got help for it. I couldn't even dress her it was so bad. I almost dropped her a couple times too. I broke down and cried in the OB's office when I went to get my staples out. Then I cried more because I was crying in front of the Dr. lol.
They sent me to physical therapy. It was actually more like spa treatments lol. I got to do a paraffin dip each time, some hand exercises, a hand massage and a few other things that were totally awesome. She made me special braces to wear and I got special compression gloves too. I think I did once a week treatments for about 6 weeks or so before I was better.
My husband has a co worker who has it really bad he has tried everything, even acupuncture and nothing really helped. The acupuncture helped the best but it wasn't 100%. He ended up getting surgery for it.