PDA

View Full Version : Back Pain

StarWarsFans
05-29-2012, 07:18 PM
I have never been one to suffer much back pain. But this morning I woke up and can barely function. The pain between my shoulder blades and along my "belt line" is so severe, I feel nauseous. I've taken Alleve and it hasn't helped at all.

Should I ice it? Heat it? Kaden has a T-Ball game tonight and there is no way I can survive in my current state! Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Ambelleina
05-29-2012, 09:11 PM
I have a slipped disc in my back that requires surgery. Have had the pain since I was 14. Nothing helped me, not even codeine--the only thing that relieved my pain was and still is taking 4 ibuprofen tablets. Motrin or store brand doesn't matter, but my doctor way back then suggested it after a trip to the ER and a MRI determined surgery was necessary.

For whatever reason the ibuprofen just rushes to the pain site and relives it pretty quickly. Not bad, considering the pain I have when the disc flares up in the most severe pain I've had in my life. I can't stand, I can't sit, I can't ever lie down without being in terrible pain.

Aleve has naproxen sodium, which just doesn't cut it for me, it has to be ibuprofen.

Hope you find something to help relive your pain ASAP; back pain is terrible. Good luck! *hug*

Sniksnak
05-29-2012, 09:11 PM
I have neven been able to figure out when to ice and when to heat. I just know that my chiropractor talks about ice bags everytime my back makes trouble :) 10 - 12 minutes ice and then double the time to "unfreeze" afterwards. :getwell:

Terra
05-29-2012, 11:02 PM
You should rotate ice & heat (according to my chiropractor)... Ibuprofen helps with any kind of swelling or inflammation... (at least for me...)

Twin Mom Scraps
05-29-2012, 11:35 PM
with all of my back issues, my doctor and chiro and recommends high dose motrin (4 i think 200-somthing mg) 4-6 hours a day as needed. and also, moist heat. you can find them at walgreens...it's like a heating pad, but you put it in the microwave for a few minutes and it really does wonders. good luck!

Sarah
05-30-2012, 12:09 AM
It can also be a sign of kidney stones. My sil gets pain there when she had one before she had her transplant (semi-related but not wholly)

prettyingreen
05-30-2012, 12:19 AM
It can also be a sign of kidney stones. My sil gets pain there when she had one before she had her transplant (semi-related but not wholly)
oh yeah make sure its not a kidneystone, my MIL is still working on passing her huge one, she had painsand knew it could be a kidney stone, but since the doctors didnt sayanything the stone kept growing, finally one dr saw it on some paperwork and and was like wth! and ordered her to the hospitalimmediately, he couldnt believe she was walking around with a stonethat size... this was discovered the day after Easter and she's hadit blasted twice now.... scares me

trina513
05-30-2012, 03:10 AM
I have a horrible back - so UGH! I can relate! This pregnancy hasnt been easy already - and I'm only 23 weeks - wait another 10 and I'm afraid!

I've always heard no heat for at least 48 hours - if its an injury - there is swelling and heat will only irritate it more.

Never heard of the kidney stone thing - but it makes sense - I hope it goes away quickly no matter what the cause!! **HUGS**

BlueHeartScraps
05-30-2012, 03:23 AM
Oh, I'm so sorry, back pain is so incredibly horrible. I had a ruptured disc last year (had emergency surgery on August 31st), and will agree that back pain is the most painful thing I've ever felt in all my life (and will be totally fine if I never have to feel anything like that ever again!)

I'll second the 4 Ibuprofen pills, that's what my chiropractor has always recommended, and the only real pain med that did any good when my back was acting up. He always said to avoid heat because it can irritate the swelling and stall the process of healing, but certainly encouraged an ice pack 10 minutes an hour. I've never tried the moist heat that Rebecca recommended, but I've heard others sing its praise before.

Terra
05-30-2012, 07:32 PM
(((Hope you feel better soon Tricia)))

BethLang
05-30-2012, 09:29 PM
I am hoping everyone's backs are feeling better today...yikes! I too, have back issues. disc degeneration in l1, l2. I take a homeopathic remedy called arnicare which is a lotion I put on in the Am, and there are little pills in the tube that comes with it, and I put one under my tongue to dissolve. It comes from the arnica plant and is sold at WholeFoods.
I was not able to tolerate ibuprofen or ultracet or any of that. I am also in PT for some deep tissue massage using the gsraston technique in which they massage me with small stainless steel "tools" that go deeper than just hands do.

Feel better Tricia!

StarWarsFans
05-31-2012, 01:56 AM
Thanks everyone. It feels better today, but not 100% yet. I had to leave the T-Ball game early last night and missed Kaden pitching and making two runs home. :( But, I am doing my best to make sure I'm good for Friday night's game and our vacation starting Saturday.

Colleen
05-31-2012, 03:52 AM
I will keep my fingers crossed that you are doing better by Friday and Saturday!

photom
05-31-2012, 08:22 PM
Yuck. Back pain before a trip- that's when the WORST comes! I also had back problems from sports and genetics, so I used Advil a LOT.

Jill DZines
06-01-2012, 10:44 PM
Ouch... So sorry you are suffering with this - I hope you're starting to feel better. If not, it would be a good idea to have your dr. check it out.

I have had multiple back-issues for many years now - multi-level degenerative disc disease and have had two 3-level fusions in spine, with possibility of more in future. So I KNOW how awful and debilitating it can be. For me, ice has always worked the best, much better than heat. I use those soft gel-type ice-packs and keep at least 3 or 4 of them in the freezer at all times so I can rotate them if I'm having a bad day. I have Rx meds, but even if you use "just" over-the-counter meds, it is best if you take them on a schedule when you're having a pain flare-up, BEFORE the pain gets out of control. It's much easier to try to "keep up" with it than to try to "catch up" once it gets worse. DOn't be afraid to take both ibuprofen and acetominephen together - it is okay to take them together and taking both does definitely help more than taking just one. (check with your dr. or pharmacist if you are taking anything else though, just to be safe)

If you are able to take some time to lie down on ice (or heat if that works better for you), and try some relaxation techniques (deep breathing, consciously trying to relax all of your muscles, etc.) along with distracting yourself with books, TV, etc., that can be helpful. Also don't be afraid to ask for help with stuff if you need it in order to give your back a chance to rest and heal. If your dr. will prescribe physical therapy they can often give you exercises tailored to your needs which can help quite a bit.

Hopefully you're just experiencing a short-term bout, but if you find it developing into a chronic problem, please feel free to send me a PM - I might have some other ideas that could help too. It's no fun, but it helps if you can talk to someone who is/has dealt with similar issues. :)

Hope you are feeling better very soon!