PDA

View Full Version : New Blog

nutsaboutgabe
05-24-2012, 07:35 PM
So I want to start a new blog. My old neglected blog was created using blogger, but what do you think it better? Wordpress or Blogger? Why?

mamaape
05-24-2012, 07:36 PM
Wordpress. More..stuff but less at the same time. I just really like Wordpress' dashboard WAY better. It's much easier to navigate. Plus I like their themes better too.

Ambelleina
05-24-2012, 07:37 PM
I've used both and I prefer Wordpress. I just like the features easier, it's all laid out pretty well.

Sarah
05-24-2012, 09:28 PM
I use Wordpress. Both paid (self-hosted) and free (.com version). I love it.
I don't like Blogger, simply because I'm not a huge fan of Picasa or whatever they're calling it now.

nutsaboutgabe
05-25-2012, 11:13 AM
Thanks gals. I decided to sign up for a wordpress blog.

I picked the name: thelittlepaperheart.wordpress.com, but I haven't done anything yet except for register it.

This blog will replace my old one which I was just using for scraps and this will be for scraps, family, and everything else I may want to blog about.

The name is something that has been a big part of my life for the last year and I thought it was kind of cute. My son has been going to daycare/preschool since he was almost 2 and he will be 5 is exactly 1 month. Eek! Well he cried everyday I dropped him off for 2 years with a day here and there where he didn't cry while I was there, but would still cry sometime during the day.

The preschool had a professional come in to evaluate the teachers and children. If any of the children showed signs of needing help we'd be asked for permissions first...blah, blah, blah. Well I knew my son would need help since he's emotional throughout the day. One of the suggestions was to give him a construction cut-out heart with a little note for him. The notes are from me 99.9% of the time and .1% from my husband, but I'm the one who drops him off and picks him up so it makes sense. The notes are simple and usually say the same thing...often dictated by Gabe himself. He likes me to write specific things. A sample would be: Gabe, you are my favorite little man. I miss you and love you so much. Have a fun day at school. Love, Mama (and I have to draw a little heart too). When I take him into school he has me read it to him before he puts it in his cubby.

This little note has worked wonders. At first it would be catastrophic if he misplaced the note or if he got it wet. The teachers have learned there are "old" notes in the front pocked of his backpack for lost ones and a microwave for wet ones! He's not as dependent on the note now, but he still wants one everyday.

One Monday, I forgot to give him one and he forgot about it too. I got to work, parked, looked at my bag and realized I didn't give him a note. I grabbed one out of the ziplock and wrote the note and drove it back to school sacrificing being late for making sure Gabe had a good day. He had already realized he didn't have it and was upset, but was happy when I came back with one.

It's the little things that mean the most.

mamaape
05-25-2012, 12:40 PM
Love that story. :)

Can't wait to see your new blog come to life! :)

kl.winters
05-25-2012, 03:05 PM
Poor little guy! School can be traumatic for some kids. I know I used to cry everyday for weeks when a new school year would start. I don't know what I was afraid of but my Dad was a teacher and I knew most of the other teachers so there was no reason to be afraid but I was for some reason. Even more silly! We lived less than a block from the elementary school so I didn't even have to ride the bus.

Colleen
05-25-2012, 03:05 PM
Barb - that is the sweetest story. We need more moms like you! :) Okay, the part about you being late for working and driving back to school brought tears to my eyes. :)
Thanks gals. I decided to sign up for a wordpress blog.

I picked the name: thelittlepaperheart.wordpress.com, but I haven't done anything yet except for register it.

This blog will replace my old one which I was just using for scraps and this will be for scraps, family, and everything else I may want to blog about.

The name is something that has been a big part of my life for the last year and I thought it was kind of cute. My son has been going to daycare/preschool since he was almost 2 and he will be 5 is exactly 1 month. Eek! Well he cried everyday I dropped him off for 2 years with a day here and there where he didn't cry while I was there, but would still cry sometime during the day.

The preschool had a professional come in to evaluate the teachers and children. If any of the children showed signs of needing help we'd be asked for permissions first...blah, blah, blah. Well I knew my son would need help since he's emotional throughout the day. One of the suggestions was to give him a construction cut-out heart with a little note for him. The notes are from me 99.9% of the time and .1% from my husband, but I'm the one who drops him off and picks him up so it makes sense. The notes are simple and usually say the same thing...often dictated by Gabe himself. He likes me to write specific things. A sample would be: Gabe, you are my favorite little man. I miss you and love you so much. Have a fun day at school. Love, Mama (and I have to draw a little heart too). When I take him into school he has me read it to him before he puts it in his cubby.

This little note has worked wonders. At first it would be catastrophic if he misplaced the note or if he got it wet. The teachers have learned there are "old" notes in the front pocked of his backpack for lost ones and a microwave for wet ones! He's not as dependent on the note now, but he still wants one everyday.

One Monday, I forgot to give him one and he forgot about it too. I got to work, parked, looked at my bag and realized I didn't give him a note. I grabbed one out of the ziplock and wrote the note and drove it back to school sacrificing being late for making sure Gabe had a good day. He had already realized he didn't have it and was upset, but was happy when I came back with one.

It's the little things that mean the most.

nutsaboutgabe
05-25-2012, 03:26 PM
Awe Kathy - It makes me feel better to know someone else who had a hard time with school. You're so cute.

Poor little guy! School can be traumatic for some kids. I know I used to cry everyday for weeks when a new school year would start. I don't know what I was afraid of but my Dad was a teacher and I knew most of the other teachers so there was no reason to be afraid but I was for some reason. Even more silly! We lived less than a block from the elementary school so I didn't even have to ride the bus.

ajoyfulheart
05-25-2012, 04:47 PM
Oh good! I was going to say Wordpress too, but I see you already started one there! :D Love that name ;)

dodgeladee
05-25-2012, 07:49 PM
I loved your story! Can't wait to see your blog!

Psychozoe
05-25-2012, 08:30 PM
that is an awesome story, Barb! just imagine, by doing that little thing everyday, you're creating a man who knows he is loved, and feels safe and secure, and will grow up to be loving to his family.

hugs hugs hugs

love the name of your new blog... wordpress is super duper awesome! I'm no expert, but if you have questions about stuff on wordpress, you can always ask me. I'll help has much as I can.

(your story reminds me of the book, "the kissing hand" http://www.kinderthemes.com/thekissinghand.html )

Sarah
05-25-2012, 09:54 PM
I'm following you with my .com login :D (sarahcb1208 ... I use it for book reviews and P365)

That story for how you chose the name is so sweet!!

<3

GingerScraps
05-26-2012, 01:40 AM
What a sweet story! He is a lucky little boy to have you for a mama!!

kimmyscraps
05-26-2012, 07:06 AM
What a great story to tell! Can't wait to read your blog!

nutsaboutgabe
05-27-2012, 02:30 AM
I am totally going to get that book Susie! I love it.

I hope he remembers how much he is loved as he gets older. :)

that is an awesome story, Barb! just imagine, by doing that little thing everyday, you're creating a man who knows he is loved, and feels safe and secure, and will grow up to be loving to his family.

hugs hugs hugs

love the name of your new blog... wordpress is super duper awesome! I'm no expert, but if you have questions about stuff on wordpress, you can always ask me. I'll help has much as I can.

(your story reminds me of the book, "the kissing hand" http://www.kinderthemes.com/thekissinghand.html )