PDA

View Full Version : Brood of Chickens, any one else have them?

PixelsByJen
05-22-2012, 11:42 PM
We have really gotten into chickens this year. Right now we have 52 I think (depends on if the hawk has gotten another one today :( )

My hubby surprised me with some pretty ones today though, check out my new silkie:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/392436_3266140178573_1419343217_2432292_1719120664 _n.jpg

Any body else have a bunch of chickens?

photom
05-22-2012, 11:45 PM
Nope, we don't this year. We kinda fell off the chicken wagon when we lost 4 of them to raccoons (& cats) year before last. Also, since we live with my IL's, we kinda have to have permission to be able to have them from them, and they have said NO! So, we are looking forward to next year being able to have them. I guess that all depends on if we are in our own nest!

nutsaboutgabe
05-23-2012, 12:07 AM
Jen-- you love to count things don't you!?!

I don't have chickens. They are not on the apartment approved pet list. hehe

Colleen
05-23-2012, 12:11 AM
No, we don't have chickens. I would love if we could. Someday... :)

Psychozoe
05-23-2012, 12:48 AM
we used to have lots of chickens... but the novelty wore off, none of us like eggs very much, and couldn't justify the amount of time and $ spent on them and the hundreds of eggs we got, we fed the whole neighborhood, lol!

When my hubby started working out of town during the week, the chickens were one of the things we cleared out. Luckily our neighbors wanted all the hens, and we gave our Rooster to the feed store. They had a beautiful tree nursery in back and there were tons of free range chickens there.

A few days later, someone bought our Rooster from the feed store, lol which cracks me up cuz he was skeeeerrrry!!! I think they neighbors heard me scream and cuss a couple times when I was feeding the chickens.

Psychozoe
05-23-2012, 12:59 AM

You could get one like Guinevere... she's potty trained! Seriously! A friend in Antioch, CA has this chicken, and it has a chicken castle, lol, and she takes the chicken to the nursing home for pet therapy for the patients!

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii217/iced12spice/whatever%20album/cdc9fa1e.jpg

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii217/iced12spice/whatever%20album/c9716d47.jpg

and one of Jen's chickens uses a napkin, lol!!

Psychozoe
05-23-2012, 01:01 AM
oh and I love your silkie Jen!

PixelsByJen
05-23-2012, 01:09 AM
You could get one like Guinevere... she's potty trained! Seriously! A friend in Antioch, CA has this chicken, and it has a chicken castle, lol, and she takes the chicken to the nursing home for pet therapy for the patients!

and one of Jen's chickens uses a napkin, lol!!

That is funny! I wonder how you would go about training them, LOL....and yeah, he likes to steal napkins and tries to steal my wedding ring too!

Lisa
05-23-2012, 01:11 AM
Nope, never had any desire to have chickens.

Do the chickens eat the scorpions? :D

PixelsByJen
05-23-2012, 01:12 AM

LOL yeah, I can usually keep track of numbers without thinking about it, don't know why but always have...funny thing is though, my sister is way better than me at math and rubs it in haha

PixelsByJen
05-23-2012, 01:13 AM
Nope, never had any desire to have chickens.

Do the chickens eat the scorpions? :D

Yep, dead or alive....we gave up on the jar of scorpions cause they stunk too bad, so now we just feed the dead ones to the chickens- they LOVE them. Sorry Susie- no more noodles ROFL

Psychozoe
05-23-2012, 01:16 AM
aww I was hungry for chinese!

nutsaboutgabe
05-23-2012, 01:17 AM
eww! That's cross contamination to me. haha

I can't imagine they taste good. Crunchy bugs!

Yep, dead or alive....we gave up on the jar of scorpions cause they stunk too bad, so now we just feed the dead ones to the chickens- they LOVE them. Sorry Susie- no more noodles ROFL

Lisa
05-23-2012, 01:28 AM

Really? Cool, I thought they would be scared of them. Maybe you need to potty train yours and invite them inside.

photom
05-23-2012, 01:37 AM
Wow! So how do the chickens not get stung as they eat them? I would figure that as a last stand a chicken would be poked from the little bugger. If they do eat them like they eat other bugs, I would have WAY more than the 50+ that you have! lol I would definitely potty train mine if I had those creepy bugs IN my house! I would rather deal with common chicken poop than getting stung anyday!

PixelsByJen
05-26-2012, 01:34 PM
I got 50+ quail yesterday! The boys are super excited to hatch two eggs too!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/37058_3282422945632_1419343217_2438998_1206668845_ n.jpg

Colleen
05-26-2012, 02:36 PM
Fun! How cute!! :) We might start referring to you as the crazy bird/chicken lady though! ;) teehee

Some of your chickens use napkins, so what manners are your quails going to bring to the table?

I want to come over and watch the eggs hatch!

Psychozoe
05-26-2012, 04:12 PM
awww quail are sooo cute!

anitaw
05-26-2012, 08:58 PM
How cute!! We just got 6 chickens this year, it is our first time with them, they crack me up the things they do

scrappydoo82
05-27-2012, 06:30 PM
how cute! I wanted to get some but not too sure how the dog would handle that (everything seems to be how the dog would react to it when it comes to getting other animals -- booo!!)

Psychozoe
05-27-2012, 06:32 PM
how cute! I wanted to get some but not too sure how the dog would handle that (everything seems to be how the dog would react to it when it comes to getting other animals -- booo!!)

I def understand that.... we went through a tough time with our dog thinking some of the animals we had were their lunch. We lost a baby chick, a rabbit, and 2 ducks that way. (we thought we were being so careful, too)

GingerScraps
05-30-2012, 06:35 AM
We had chickens growing up.... The old chicken coop is still up in the property. The kids have all been asking if we can clean it up and get some chickens. But we do have 4 cats, so the chicken coop would need to be totally re-wired.

But it might be worth it. I remember loving having chickens.

Jen that photo is beautiful!! What a pretty chicken!!

Susie that chicken castle is so stinkin cool!! How fun!