PDA

View Full Version : Fraudulent Charges

nutsaboutgabe
05-19-2012, 11:49 AM
Ugh...so I woke up this morning and while checking my email I noticed a few emails from Walmart regarding an order placed, account information changes and an order pickup. Hmmm...I didn't order anything!! The item, a laptop, is to be picked up today in Kirkwood, MO between 10am and 10pm CST! I don't live in MO and haven't been in MO for a few years and I didn't even have a Walmart card then.

I called the Walmart 800 numbers and they aren't open YET!! They don't open until 9 CST I decided to call the store where the item is supposed to be picked up to speak with a store manager. He said I needed to call the 800 number, which I know, but I asked him to stop the order from being picked up! Luckily I have a 1 hour lead as I'm in EST.

I don't need this crap today.

prettyingreen
05-19-2012, 11:53 AM
oh my gosh! i hope you can stop it and get you money back

webdesignmom
05-19-2012, 11:55 AM
I feel for you. I hope someone didn't get your credit card info...my hubby had someone scan his card to get his number while traveling to Chicago once and they opened up a Verizon account with his credit card...it was a mess and took a few months to clear everything up.

nutsaboutgabe
05-19-2012, 12:32 PM
I don't know how people would do that. I haven't traveled out of CT for a month and if I have left it was to drive to northeast PA meaning I drove through a part of NY state to get there. It's beyond annoying, but I am thankful it's not a major credit card or my debit card.

My older sister was robbed when she lived in a suburb of Philly, while she was sleeping! They took her laptop bag which had her laptop and her wallet. They too opened accounts at Verizon with one credit card and took her cash. Then dumped her wallet in a US Postal mailbox. Obviously she never got her laptop back either.

I feel for you. I hope someone didn't get your credit card info...my hubby had someone scan his card to get his number while traveling to Chicago once and they opened up a Verizon account with his credit card...it was a mess and took a few months to clear everything up.

nutsaboutgabe
05-19-2012, 12:33 PM
I have the option to hit the cancel order button, but I don't want to do that until I speak with Walmart corporate because I want this person to be caught. If I cancel the order it may break the chain of events and the person may suspect something is up and not go pick up the order.

oh my gosh! i hope you can stop it and get you money back

chigirl
05-19-2012, 12:38 PM
you should call the credit card and cancel the charge...they can flag it or something, then they won't be able to pick up the order. this happened to me recently, i use AMEX and they called me about a fraud charge made in Australia of all places...like that would not show up on my account since I live in the the good 'o USA. I know its' stressful and a hassle but better to get is fixed now with a small charge then let them get away with it today and try for something much bigger tomorrow. good luck, sending positive thoughts your way.

webdesignmom
05-19-2012, 12:38 PM
Well how they got my husband's number was by using a portable scanner and I have been told that you don't have to be standing right next to the person, you can be up to 25 feet away...he now uses a metal wallet...but I wonder how they got your info.

Twin Mom Scraps
05-19-2012, 01:25 PM
ergh! this is so frustrating!
back in september, i sent a $35 check through the mail to pay a bill. long story short, someone had intercepted the check, and turned it into a check for $1,486!!!!!!! i had all the proof i needed to get the money back, but it took a few weeks, but i was so pissed that the bank cashed the damn thing in the first place! credit cards are even more common than check fraud, so i hope you get it sorted quickly! UGH!

StarWarsFans
05-19-2012, 01:40 PM
I think you should call the police and see if they can arrest the person who arrives to pick up the laptop. We had this happen a few years ago. It was such a mess getting it all sorted out. We knew something was up when we received a box from PetCo and we didn't have a pet!

nutsaboutgabe
05-19-2012, 02:33 PM
Update...the order has been cancelled, but I don't know who cancelled it. It was cancelled at 936am EST. The walmart corporate number wasn't open until 10am EST so I had to wait. I did report the card as lost/stolen so I can get a new account. The woman I spoke with from Walmart said I could file a police report if I wanted to press charges or just to file it because I want to. Also I could fill out a Theft Victim affidavit online at Walmart.com. She did tell me when she pulled up the order it was flagged as fraudulent.

My thought process was to let the order go through and arrest the thief when they came to the store to pick it up. Otherwise the persons real identity may be unknown and they can just continue to do this crap.

I know this purchase has been stopped, but not knowing how this information was obtained makes me worry about any of my other accounts out there. I haven't traveled, I shred my statements, I only pay bills on my home computer, my wifi is secured. I guess thieves have their ways of getting info.

nutsaboutgabe
05-19-2012, 02:34 PM
That's crazy! I always hesitate to send checks in the mail. Let's face it, there is way too much info on a check for a thief!

back in september, i sent a $35 check through the mail to pay a bill. long story short, someone had intercepted the check, and turned it into a check for $1,486!!!!!!! i had all the proof i needed to get the money back, but it took a few weeks, but i was so pissed that the bank cashed the damn thing in the first place! credit cards are even more common than check fraud, so i hope you get it sorted quickly! UGH!

nutsaboutgabe
05-19-2012, 02:36 PM
It's so scary how anyone out there can be trying to scam us! Thanks for the positive thoughts.

you should call the credit card and cancel the charge...they can flag it or something, then they won't be able to pick up the order. this happened to me recently, i use AMEX and they called me about a fraud charge made in Australia of all places...like that would not show up on my account since I live in the the good 'o USA. I know its' stressful and a hassle but better to get is fixed now with a small charge then let them get away with it today and try for something much bigger tomorrow. good luck, sending positive thoughts your way.

nutsaboutgabe
05-19-2012, 02:36 PM
I will probably call the police (after I shower) to file a report. hehe

I think you should call the police and see if they can arrest the person who arrives to pick up the laptop. We had this happen a few years ago. It was such a mess getting it all sorted out. We knew something was up when we received a box from PetCo and we didn't have a pet!

JillW
05-19-2012, 02:50 PM
Oh that's all so scary! There are some real scum bags out there - I'm glad the order got cancelled and hope you can nail down the dude (or dudette) who stole the info!!

Colleen
05-19-2012, 02:57 PM
Yikes - that is just insane. I am so happy that you caught it in time. I wish they could have been caught though... :(

Sarah
05-19-2012, 03:21 PM
That's crazy! I always hesitate to send checks in the mail. Let's face it, there is way too much info on a check for a thief!

Its safer to send the check through the mail. It becomes a major federal offense, because it now involves mail tampering, messing with government property (mailboxes are *technically* government property ;))

Ambelleina
05-19-2012, 03:21 PM
Oh, EW. I have a serious hatred for thieves. Like, I'm surprised I'm not a cop, because I adamantly abhor people who feel they have the right to be lazy [self-censored]s and take things that other people worked hard to get.

That being said, I've had my Visa compromised so many times, it doesn't even faze me anymore, it's just annoying with having to fill out paperwork, do faxes, be without my card and wait a week for a new one. It's happened to me three times over the years. The first was the world: the Visa is a debit card tied to my bank, so not only was my entire checking account wiped, my savings account was wiped too and I was knocked into the red. I went to sleep with $500 in checking, $1,500 in savings and woke up to -$200! They wiped $2k overnight at a gas station/grocery store in FL. It was insane, but obvious it wasn't me, so everything was returned fine, just a pain.

You'd be surprised how EASY it is for people to get your info. I'm a freak about using ONLY indoor ATMs and I will shake and yank the thing where you slide your card to make sure there's not a card scanner attachment some thief put over it.

I'm really glad you were able to nip everything in the bud before the thief got the laptop. Argh, thieves! :mad:

Cjoy2Day
05-19-2012, 03:56 PM
eek.. what a way to start the weekend. My DH is really protective about our information and I'm a little more relaxed about it. I wonder if when you called the store manager they flagged the order?

Victoria32
05-19-2012, 04:01 PM
This is so scary and upsetting. I hope they catch the thief before anything else gets charged to the account.
We had a master card info stolen in Florida some years ago. They ran up over $1000 in charges in a very short time. Master Card reversed all of the charges, and issued a new card. They had ordered a bunch of computer related supplies via telephone or over the internet where signatures are not required. We think they either got the info needed from the car rental agency where we had rented a car, or at the hotel we stayed in.

msbrad
05-19-2012, 04:04 PM
Yikes!
Call and cancel your card right away. Good luck.
m

StarWarsFans
05-19-2012, 04:34 PM
It took a long time to figure out how our credit card number was stolen. Almost a year after it happened, we got a letter from an online store thst DH buys bike equipment from. They said that someone had hacked onto their system and was getting their customers information.
So now we use virtual online numbers through Citibank. It's like a one use number, so if someone tries to use it again, it won't work and a red flag goes up. I love it!

GingerScraps
05-19-2012, 05:15 PM
What a nightmare barb! Glad your on top of it and getting it sorted out!!

Just a month ago I got a letter from the State of California Child Support Services.... Someone have broken into the main offices and stolen harddrives with ALL the info. Social security numbers, addresses, bank account info. I'm kinda holding my breath wondering what exactly I should do about it.

But wow, that thief has thousands of peoples info!

This thread is making me remember, I need to look into it more. I just got the letter and read it ..... And thought wow that's crazy, but then I never looked further into it.

Sarah
05-19-2012, 05:16 PM
We have Identify Theft protection as part of our insurance. They'll cover all of the investigations and do it all for us.
SO worth the $10 extra a month on our car insurance bill (we have renters, 2 cars, & my life insurance on it, so it's not just car, hehe)

scrappydoo82
05-19-2012, 05:35 PM
A few years ago my mom's best friend used her debit card at walmart and this lady spent like $600 on her card. Come to find out it was the cashier at walmart of all things! She somehow got the numbers off the card and ordered things online.

I tend to check my accounts a lot -- mainly because hubs works out of town too much and i have to keep up with what he's spending. I have my bank account set up where it sends me emails if I have a purchase of X amount and when they update our cards , I always ask them to send new numbers on them. I would change your passwords and update your security questions to all your online accounts for bills and credit cards just to be safe! Maybe, the police can still figure out who do it :)

nutsaboutgabe
05-19-2012, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the support everyone.

I guess the thing I find most odd about my Walmart card number being used is that I've only used the card 3 times...and all three were online purchases from home but somehow the information was obtained anyway.

Eh..the frustrating is helping me get caught up on my cleaning. Although I enjoy cleaning, I clean even more when I'm stressed.

This could have been much worse. Now what do to to protect myself going forward. I have the option of fraud protection through my insurance as well, but I think I denied it since I'm always careful with trash.

Gotta go work on my ADSR LO :-)

prettyingreen
05-19-2012, 07:49 PM
our debet card info were stole afew months ago, a good friend of ours works in the credit union so we were able to get a little bit more info on it... we have a $500 spending limit on the card daily so someone in TX was trying to spend a bunch of money at Target, the back called us and we were like ah no we weren't in TX, so they refunded our money and sent DH his new card, then a month after that the had to send both of us new cards, i guess Subway was hacked for like 7 years these people were getting card info.

nutsaboutgabe
05-19-2012, 08:37 PM
I know my debit card has something like that because when my husband went to purchase 2 laptops at the same time they couldn't get the sale to go through. I had to call the bank and ask them to lift the limit temporarily. Both my husband and I have both had our debit cards replaced in the past year due to potential fraud/fraud detected on the cards. It was before the sale went through so we didn't have to go through refunds and all that. For mine, they left my account open, but they were "watching" it for odd purchases while they sent me a replacement card, but for my husbands they called and they said they know for certain the number was stolen so can we close it now? Of course we said yes.

our debet card info were stole afew months ago, a good friend of ours works in the credit union so we were able to get a little bit more info on it... we have a $500 spending limit on the card daily so someone in TX was trying to spend a bunch of money at Target, the back called us and we were like ah no we weren't in TX, so they refunded our money and sent DH his new card, then a month after that the had to send both of us new cards, i guess Subway was hacked for like 7 years these people were getting card info.

christinap
05-20-2012, 12:02 AM
wow crazy stories from everyone! my husband's debit card got skimmed but the bank cancelled it before any money was taken out. We couldn't figure out why his wasn't working but mine was!

jenltip
05-20-2012, 01:51 AM
My credit card got lifted somehow and used in switzerland! Of course I got a call and everything was cancelled and reversed. It's so crappy that we work so hard and some lazy piece of crap goes and tries to steal it.
So glad everything was cancelled and I hope that idiot goes and tries to pick it up.

GINGER: They have fraud protection services that they can attach to yours and the kids social security numbers, that flags any activity and they call you and have to approve it before it goes though. My work computers were hacked a couple years ago and they set this up for every employee. It worked nicely, I don't remember exactly what the name was tho.

Tree City
05-20-2012, 05:19 PM
oh no Barb! that totally stinks. My debit card number was stolen off of the merchant's copy of the receipt at the ZOO! They took the number, waited a few months to make a new card with it and used it in NJ. Thankfully our bank caught it after 2 uses. They were the ones who realized everyone's cards had been previously used at the zoo.
now I make sure I carry cash with me at all times. my zoo souvenir cup cost us $700 and lots of headaches! (the money was replaced, at least.) and we had to file a police report in order to get our money back, but i would have anyway.

nutsaboutgabe
05-20-2012, 06:47 PM
wow...craziness!!

oh no Barb! that totally stinks. My debit card number was stolen off of the merchant's copy of the receipt at the ZOO! They took the number, waited a few months to make a new card with it and used it in NJ. Thankfully our bank caught it after 2 uses. They were the ones who realized everyone's cards had been previously used at the zoo.
now I make sure I carry cash with me at all times. my zoo souvenir cup cost us $700 and lots of headaches! (the money was replaced, at least.) and we had to file a police report in order to get our money back, but i would have anyway.

photom
05-21-2012, 11:26 PM
Sounds like what happened to my aunt. Every year she would send my kids a check for $25 in the mail. Well, we didn't see one for my daughter, and I just thought she may have forgotten. About a week later she called and told me she got a call from the police in the next city over. Apparently they had taken over $2,000 out of her account, and the next year she had told me she was still dealing with it. We need to get a lockbox or PO box, because our mail gets stolen like every 6 months or so. It's pretty sad!

photom
05-21-2012, 11:26 PM
Glad you got your money back, but I really wish they were able to catch the creep! Hopefully they still can!

nutsaboutgabe
05-22-2012, 06:00 PM
I wish too because even though the sale never was finalized I think somthing is amiss. This person was able to change my Walmart shopping account (not the credit card) password. I KNOW what it was and it didn't work last night. I reset it and went in and it said "Welcome Constance Smith". GGGGGGGRRRRRRR

I changed it all back and am waiting for a new card, but I got a weird email from Walmart credit (GE Money) with a balance and it was higher than what it was supposed to be. Only by $22 but still. That was odd and it said for account ending in 7373...which was the account that I closed thanks to the fraud. I am surprised they would send me an email with that. When I try to check my walmart credit card online I can't because the account is closed! A call to Walmart credit is on my to-do list today.

Glad you got your money back, but I really wish they were able to catch the creep! Hopefully they still can!

photom
05-22-2012, 06:20 PM
I changed it all back and am waiting for a new card, but I got a weird email from Walmart credit (GE Money) with a balance and it was higher than what it was supposed to be. Only by $22 but still.
So sorry! Just think about $22 from 100 people. Most people would probably just decide it's not worth the effort, but it still really chaps me that there are people out there who are totally ok with doing this to others. They will have their "reward" catch up to them.

maaike
05-22-2012, 07:21 PM
Ohh gosh, this tread scares me! I never thought of stuff like this, till my sons debit card got stolen and used for fraude on a foundation! some Nigerian gang had taken 1400 euro's from a foundation, put it on my sons account and took it off there so it looked like he did it(a 15 year old boy). Turned out they do this with a lot of teenagers backaccounts here and the police knows it is a gang, but the back compagny still lets the parents of the childeren pay for it!They say they must have given the ATM numbers to get things done! like those people aren't smooth enough to find out your nr another way!
with us it was 1400 euro's but I have heard of people who had to pay over 5000 euro to the bank! :(