PDA

View Full Version : Do you eat breakfast?

AmyP
05-16-2012, 03:12 AM
Ladies,
What do you eat for breakfast? I need to get better at "the most important meal" and need some ideas.
Thanks for your suggestions- or food confessions lol

Ambelleina
05-16-2012, 03:49 AM
For breakfast, I have a glass of warm lemon water with pure stevia extract, a green smoothie (a few different fruits and a scoop of vibrant health green vibrance powder) and a large grapefuit.

The lemon water jumpstarts your metabolism and cleans your liver, the smoothie is just goodness in a glass with the green vibrance for ALL KINDS of vitamins and nutrients and cleansing elements, and the grapefruit is just yummy! hehe

Actually, the grapefruit also has all kinds of vitamin c, antioxidants, lycopene and helps lower your cholesterol.

I used to do an orange sprinkled generously with ground cinnamon instead of the grapefruit; that's high in vitamin c and fiber and the cinnamon helps control blood sugar. I just switched to grapefruit because my blood sugar is fine and I really like grapefruit. ^^

My breakfast takes me about 2 hours to eat because I eat it slow but honestly, spreading it out keeps me from being hungry before lunch. Plus, it's just better for your body to eat more often rather than stuff yourself, then starve.

Plus, when I have a superduper healthy and nourishing breakfast, I don't feel as bad about cheating at dinner, LOL! :D

catgoddess
05-16-2012, 04:40 AM
I always have an egg white omelet. The egg whites keep me from being hungry before lunchtime. I usually add some peppers and onions, occasionally mushrooms. I also have a fruit smoothie - 1 banana, 4-5 strawberries depending upon size, some ice (although I do use frozen berries when strawberries aren't in season), and some water - no sugar, no dairy. The banana adds all the cream you need. I'll also sprinkle in a little ground flax seed.

I eat breakfast every day. I have no idea how people don't eat breakfast! I would die.

Tree City
05-16-2012, 05:39 AM
Decaf coffee and very sugary cereal, like Cinnamon Toast Crunch or Frosted Flakes. :) On the weekends, I have pancakes or crepes or French toast cuz that's what DH makes us. I refuse to eat a yucky-tasting healthy breakfast just because I "should" and unfortunately I don't like much yummy-tasting healthy stuff that's quick and easy to make (not much time in the morning, what with the 2 kids needing their brekkies--one of which I provide, literally, rotfl).

Colleen
05-16-2012, 05:55 AM
Yup, I eat breakfast. I am completely inconsistent with what I eat though. I always mix it up. No matter what, I always have to start the day with a cup of coffee. I like to have fruit. Oatmeal. Cereal (Frosted Mini Wheats or Cheerios). Breakfast of Champions (donuts and the likes ;)). Eggs with onion, peppers, sausage. Pancakes. French Toast. Waffles. Seriously - I am always changing what I eat...

StarWarsFans
05-16-2012, 07:15 AM
Does a cup of coffee count? I'm not into breakfast foods, I hate eggs, and Gluten Free stuff is expensive. So I don't eat breakfast. I know. I know.

nutsaboutgabe
05-16-2012, 11:23 AM
I don't eat breakfast everyday. Weekend days I do, but it's usually a bowl of cereal. During week after I get to work I occasionally make instant oatmeal, but usually it's so busy when I get to work I don't always have time.

I always make an iced coffee at home to take with me, but I really want a blender to make smoothies.

msbrad
05-16-2012, 01:09 PM
Usually it is a yogurt with fresh blueberries and a small amount of organic gluten free granola.
Otherwise, oatmeal.

Christina- I like the lemon water idea. I might try that this summer when off work.
m

chigirl
05-16-2012, 01:35 PM
i have cottage cheese and pineapple everyday, with a small fat-free muffin or fat-free oatmeal...usually about 8.30 am, but i'm at 3.30am so i wait quite awhile before eating, and of course decaf coffee...

missdamsel
05-16-2012, 01:46 PM
Breakfast, what's that?? lol

Ambelleina
05-16-2012, 02:26 PM
Christina- I like the lemon water idea. I might try that this summer when off work.
m

It's really yummy, like warm lemonade. Which sounds like it might be gross, but it's not, lol. It's warm and sweet and good for you at the same time. WAY better than dehydrating, skin-aging, blood pressure-raising coffee! :36_11_22:

missdamsel
05-16-2012, 03:40 PM
Does the lemon water gave to be warm? I remember you talking about this and I bought lemons yesterday!

prettyingreen
05-16-2012, 03:57 PM
i dont eat until 10am lol and its prolly waffels or cereal lol

Tree City
05-16-2012, 04:33 PM
Does a cup of coffee count? I'm not into breakfast foods, I hate eggs, and Gluten Free stuff is expensive. So I don't eat breakfast. I know. I know.

Tricia, I'm sure you already know this, but Chex cereals are gluten free! They even have gluten-free recipes (http://www.chex.com/recipes/CategoryView.aspx?CategoryId=447&t=5) on their website. Some involve CHOCOLATE! lol

photom
05-16-2012, 04:40 PM
CHRISTINA- THANK YOU SO MUCH! I was trying to figure out how to do a lemon cleanse, but my husband doesn't want me to do a full-time cleanse- slowly he said. (Last time I tried a liver cleanse, I got 2-3 days into it and he hid my stuff. I don't remember being grouchy and upset all the time, but he said he hid it to save our marriage. Anger stores in the liver, and I guess I was just releasing all those toxins onto him!)

To get back on subject. I did REALLY well eating breakfast for about 2-3 years. Before that I didn't eat it, and now for the last {almost} year, I haven't. I started a new medication that I have to take upon waking, and I can't eat for 1/2- 1 hour afterwards. So, I get into a routine and forget to eat. Not eating has allowed me to drop some weight, but at what expense????

GingerScraps
05-16-2012, 04:55 PM
Wow we have some really healthy eaters!! Impressive!!

I have the same thing pretty much every day.... Hot tea (red rose is my favorite) and a brown sugar pop tart. Lol :)

Sarah
05-16-2012, 05:38 PM
Breakfast makes me sick. Unless I'm feeling woosy because my blood sugar is wonky.
I can eat if I have had time to wake up,, but if I.do it within an hour of being awake, I spend most of the day feeling out of it :(

Ambelleina
05-16-2012, 05:48 PM
Missi: Yes, warm! Not hot, just lukewarm and warmer, if you like. I like warmer, it's almost like tea. But lemon water first, before any other breakfast-ness. But you can have skinny girl lemonade all day with cold water (sparkling, if you miss soda)! I throw lemon in water, tea--anythwere I can get it. It's a liver cleanser and I'm trying to get rid of the only 'ailment' I have--fatty liver. I don't mind being overweight, but I DO mind being overweight with a weight-related issue. No no!

Sara: YES, i wanted to try the master cleanse, but I'm not there yet. I'm just trying to clean my liver and make myself healthier. All this processed, frozen food and fast food--it's so not good for our bodies. I still partake, but at a much lesser level and now I eat cleansing foods on a daily basis. I can't even think of when I didn't eat fruit every morning! Try the warm lemon water and an orange. The lemon water internally cleanses and the orange is yummy and full of fiber (cleansing in another way--LOLOL). Don't lose weight by not eating; I've done that and it's so unhealthy. My mom eats ALL DAY LONG, she's never hungry and she's losing weight like crazy. EATING IS HEALTHY, lovely lady! :)

Ps:
Here's an article on the lemon water thing, if anyone's interested:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/215380-drinking-hot-water-lemon-in-the-morning/

catgoddess
05-16-2012, 08:28 PM
I'm going to add the warm lemon water to my breakfast routine, too!

msbrad
05-16-2012, 08:37 PM
It's really yummy, like warm lemonade. Which sounds like it might be gross, but it's not, lol. It's warm and sweet and good for you at the same time. WAY better than dehydrating, skin-aging, blood pressure-raising coffee! :36_11_22:

Thanks!
m

webdesignmom
05-16-2012, 09:03 PM
Yes, its the most important meal of the day. I have something different every day.

AmyP
05-16-2012, 10:47 PM
Thanks for all these responses!
It is hard for me to eat a good breakfast so this is all so inspiring! I'm going to add some of these ideas to my shopping list!

photom
05-16-2012, 10:57 PM
CHRISTINA- You are my new favorite friend! I went to the store after the park playdate for my kid's bookclubs and I picked up about 8 lemons (unfortunately I didn't go to the organic store). I also picked up 5 grapefruit, because like you- I LOVE GRAPEFRUIT! Right when I got home, I cut my lemon in 1/2, added a squeeze of agave nector, and microwaved my distilled water for 30 seconds. It reminded me of the lemon cleanse, but didn't burn going down! It is so yummy! I look forward to drinking this daily! (But more than just breakfast!)

missdamsel
05-16-2012, 11:05 PM
I was hoping I could drink it cold. Oh well, warm it is. I haven't had a soda in almost two weeks, but have found myself eating more. Not sure giving up sofas was worth the alternative!!

StarWarsFans
05-16-2012, 11:07 PM
I really hate that I have Interstitial Cystitis and can't have lemons, oranges, grapefruit, or limes without being in a LOT of pain afterwards. If I could have them, I would definitely try this!

MSPeeler
05-16-2012, 11:09 PM
I like to eat breakfast, but I don't have time unless I eat when I get back from taking Priscilla to school, and then when I do look for food, we dont have anything I will eat....

WendyBird
05-16-2012, 11:53 PM
I used to do lemon water and really liked it, but it started eroding my teeth too bad and I had to stop. My enamel is very weak to begin with and the prolonged acid exposure was causing my enamel to break down and I was getting constant cavities and chips in my teeth :( (I use a prescription toothpaste now that is helping to strengthen my teeth)

I was really good about eating breakfast for a while when I was working out, but have been bad lately and not eating often enough. I usually eat oatmeal or a bowl of Special K, but I also love these Mini Spinach Quiches (http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=506718), especially with some mushroom or other veggies added and with Paprika instead of the hot sauce. They freeze and reheat in the microwave well! (I also recommend greasing the muffin tins instead of using paper liners)

Ginger, I LOVE the brown sugar pop tarts too!

Ambelleina
05-17-2012, 01:17 AM
Aww Wendy, that stinks! I would say for anyone concerned about enamel, USE A STRAW! It's what they suggest for sodas, too, since they really destroy teeth over time (as well as the rest of your body). Coca Cola to clean acid-covered car battery posts? Yes, we put that all over our teeth--ugh!

Sara: LOVE YOU, GRAPEFRUIT BUDDY! hehe hehe

kelley
05-17-2012, 01:26 AM
I eat fruit almost every day, by itself. I usually buy the big fruit bowls at Target and just get it out every morning. :)

photom
05-17-2012, 02:52 AM
Sara: LOVE YOU, GRAPEFRUIT BUDDY! hehe hehe
Love you, too!

So, you want to know what's weird?? My kids- I keep telling them NOT to touch Mommy's grapefruit (or as the 3 year old says- Great Food), but they keep coming back and sneaking! I guess I'm just either blessed with super hungry kids (you know, the ones that never stop), or super non-picky eaters. They LOVE salad, too!

(Sorry to get WAY off subject! Thought you all NEEDED to know! hehe)

Ambelleina
05-17-2012, 03:04 AM
YAY! That's awesome. Unfortunately, we were really poor when I was younger, so we didn't get the luxury of fresh fruits and veggies, it was all cheap frozen food and cheap ground beef and rice/beans/other not so good for you foods. You could just get more food for less money by buying crap food. I WISH I had been able to grow up eating as healthy as your kids are. Go Sara, you awesome mommy, you! :D

missdamsel
05-17-2012, 03:16 PM
Ok, I walked 3 miles this morning and now drinking my warm lemon water. After walking, I really wish it could be cold. Are there different health benefits to the warm versus cold??

javanilla724
05-17-2012, 03:21 PM
I love breakfast foods - LOVE them... but usually just a coffee and a yogurt for me - or a gran. bar .... weekends - a nice veggie egg white omelet :)

Ambelleina
05-17-2012, 04:45 PM
Ok, I walked 3 miles this morning and now drinking my warm lemon water. After walking, I really wish it could be cold. Are there different health benefits to the warm versus cold??

I don't think it will eliminate the benefits if you drink it as a cold drink instead, but I know your body uses far more energy when you drink a very cold or very hot drink. I happen to prefer my lemon water or the warmer side since I drink it in the morning, when other people would be drinking hot coffee, but it's really suggested to just be lukewarm for the morning. I pop a cup of water in the microwave for about 30/45 seconds and it's ready. I think it has to do with the warmth helping break up the fat and junk in your digestive system/liver. As for the rest of the day, I go cold ice water and lemon with stevia! Mmm! :)

photom
05-17-2012, 04:57 PM
Are there different health benefits to the warm versus cold??
It tastes better, IMO. Both days now, I've started it warm, but then let it cool too much (didn't drink fast enough), and it's like a treat warm, and I choke it down cold! I am using distilled water from a bottle, so my water is already room temp. So 30 seconds is PERFECT for me!

kl.winters
05-17-2012, 08:19 PM
I love lemon water! I've always been a water drinker and I'm weird, I prefer to drink it at room temperature so I have water bottles all over the house that I sip on throughout the day. I find that I drink more water if it's warm than I do cold. I hate ice cold water! I also eat breakfast everyday thanks to my hubby. He's the breakfast cook. Since we switched to a low carb diet, we eat eggs in a variety of ways everyday.

Here's a couple simple and delicious little nuggets we like to cook for breakfast.
http://thesimpledelights.com/?p=246

http://www.apronstringsblog.com/vegetarian-entrees/onion-ring-sunny-side-up-eggs-sauteed-onion-as-a-ring-mold-for-eggs/

photom
05-17-2012, 09:51 PM
http://www.apronstringsblog.com/vegetarian-entrees/onion-ring-sunny-side-up-eggs-sauteed-onion-as-a-ring-mold-for-eggs/
I love the veggie egg ideas! So fun! I may have to try this sometime!

Sniksnak
05-17-2012, 10:33 PM
Thank you so much for theese ideas, Kathy. I HAVE to try this!

missdamsel
05-18-2012, 02:34 AM
Those look yummy Kathy!! I will try them!

zeee
05-18-2012, 06:04 AM
I've been eating breakfast recently but it's usually Special K (Vanilla & Almonds) cereal or oat meal... yum!

on cheat days..read weekends, I have bacon and eggs with hubby... ;)