PDA

View Full Version : Is there a Pediatrician in the house???

MSPeeler
05-10-2012, 05:39 AM
My son has terrible allergies and has small breakouts often, but this is starting to worry me. Does it look like an allergy or excema or something else??? Ive tried using Benedryl anti-itch cream, athletes foot cream, and A & D ointment. Our insurance went up, and we are saving for our vacation in 2 weeks, I just wanted to get an opinion before I spend the money for my Pedi to tell me it's allergies!!!

Lightly raised to touch, and kinda scaly. Sorry if it's huge, posting from my phone.

http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss179/GwendliteMP/e1659d8e.jpg

photom
05-10-2012, 05:43 AM
That's scary looking. Hope you get it figured out soon! Sorry I'm no help.

charmedeebob
05-10-2012, 05:43 AM
looks exactly like my daughter's eczema and it needs to be treated with a cortisone cream or ointment. I used hydrocortisone 1% ointment (over the counter) for quite a while and it helped a bit, but the doctor gave her a stronger steroid cream and it works much better and faster (triamcinolone 0.1% cream). We also try to keep her as dairy free as possible, it seems to be a direct cause for her eczema flares. the most common spots for eczema are backs of the thighs and knees, crook of the elbow and wrists. it can be anywhere, but those are the places it often appears first. try hydrocortisone for a few days and see what happens.
oh, and I'm not a pediatrician, but I'm a pharmacist, so I "diagnose" weird rash stuff all the time LOL :)

charmedeebob
05-10-2012, 05:45 AM
oh, and depending on how old your son is, you can give him some Benadryl liquid to help with the itch at nighttime. My daughter would scratch herself bloody in her sleep, and the Benadryl liquid really helped at bedtime.

Psychozoe
05-10-2012, 06:07 AM
triamcinolone cream is da bomb

MSPeeler
05-10-2012, 06:40 AM
Awesome! I have hydrocortisone 1% cream, I'll try that. I also have Mupirocin 2% from his staph infection a few months ago... Would that work? I think I will call and ask if my pediatrician will call in the othe mentioned above for me without coming in. OH and I used the Benedryl Anti itch Gel tonight and he wasn't itching it tonight :)

MSPeeler
05-10-2012, 06:42 AM
And I will seriously cry if he has to cut out dairy!!!! This kid lives on cereal with milk and yogurt!!

charmedeebob
05-10-2012, 08:38 AM
no the mupirocin won't do much, stick with the HC cream, and you can put it on like 3 or 4 times a day for a while. it was really hard for us at first with the dairy, and thank goodness it isn't a serious allergy like hives or anaphylaxis, but it has helped her so much that we stick to it when we can. any time we go a few days of her having dairy it flares up and really bothers her. my littlest one was starting with the same symptoms that she had at that age so we made him dairy free too and so far he hasn't developed the eczema like she did. once you get in the groove of no dairy, it isn't too bad. but think about having him tested for allergies, it might not be dairy but something might be causing it chronically. you might even want to consider putting him on a daily dose of Claritin or Zyrtec liquid if he's over two years old, it will really help the allergies and won't cause drowsiness :)

Hildur
05-10-2012, 02:24 PM
Also, being that these kind of flairs and raised exzema bumps often occur in areas that are warm and moist like the knees, crook of the elbows etc. it can help to have them bare and well aired.
Hopefully the hydrocotisone is helping.

scrappydoo82
05-10-2012, 03:16 PM
it could be heat rash too. My girls use to get it all the time, their dr. would have my mix hrdocortizon with some other cream that was a steriod and it worked wonders.

MamaCake
05-10-2012, 03:20 PM
Yup, what Char said! I was going to say it looks just like eczemaand that my son has the steroid cream and it works wonders!! Hope you get some soon!

MSPeeler
05-10-2012, 03:53 PM
Thank you so much for all the help/advice :) its not as red as in the pictures today and I put the hydrocortisone cream on it once already. I do think it was a bit chapped yesterday because while in the car he has spilled/spit his entire zippy cup of water on himself in his car seat and had to sit in it for an hour while driving!!! Kids just aren't. Very smart sometimes, lol

photom
05-10-2012, 10:34 PM
Going on an restricted diet is never fun, but cereal and milk is REALLY easy to take care of- RICE milk! As for the rest of dairy- I'm not too sure, but we've done salt "free" (many foods have sodium in it, but the added sodium is what the problem is), gluten free, meat free, sugar free...... I'm probably missing something in there. Glad it has calmed down some.

GingerScraps
05-11-2012, 01:07 AM
Yep I agree with ll said :) It looks like eczema! My son has suffered with eczema since he was about 2.5 years old, he will be 12 next week.
We have tried a lot of stuff! Over the counter and RX.
Triamcinolone works the best for him (it is an RX) it heals his eczema faster than any other cream we have tried!

When he is itchy we also use a spray called Dermoplast, it is an over the counter spray. And safe for little ones. It basically numbs the area, it doesn't heal the eczema, but it helps with the itching.

Also try to keep it dry and clean, sweat makes it really get angry.

MSPeeler
05-11-2012, 06:05 AM
My husband is Lactose intolerant, so we have Almond Milk for him vs 2% for the kids... I'll just have to start using the Almond milk and see if that makes a difference.... now about the Yogurt.... do they even MAKE lactose free yogurt? hehe

Ginger- YEP, I started noticing this about a year ago, right after he turned 2!

Someone mentioned an allergy test... we did have one done when he was 18 months old, which showed he was allergic to many things (dogs, cats and peanuts included) and we have a dog, a cat and he eats peanut butter every day.... so.... lol I think he needs a re-check!

StarWarsFans
05-11-2012, 05:31 PM
My son used to get terrible eczema outbreaks. We heard that Omega 3 vitamin supplements could help. I was skeptical at first. But, after 3 months of giving him the "fishy" vitamins every day, he stopped having outbreaks. It's been a year now and he hasn't had any problems. We give him the Omega 3's and slather him in Eucerin every morning and night. It's worked for us!

MSPeeler
05-12-2012, 06:55 PM
Awesome Tricia! I was just talking to my husband about children's vitamins, I assume they make the omega 3s for kids too? Is that like fish oil?

kelley
05-12-2012, 07:28 PM
It does look exactly like eczema to me as well. I don't like to use steroid creams on my kids unless it absolutely won't clear up without. I give them a lukewarm bath, then immediately after you towel them off, rub him down with Cetaphil emolient cream. When it is bad like that, it helps to bathe them 2-3 times - just a nice soak to get that moisture in there - and use the cream. You want his skin to still be moist when you rub it on. Carter had eczema badly as a baby all over his face, elbows, and his butt. He still gets it occasionally. I hope it gets cleared up soon!

StarWarsFans
05-13-2012, 04:16 AM
Awesome Tricia! I was just talking to my husband about children's vitamins, I assume they make the omega 3s for kids too? Is that like fish oil?

Yes. They're gummies. I get them at Walmart.

photom
05-14-2012, 11:21 PM
Someone mentioned an allergy test... we did have one done when he was 18 months old, which showed he was allergic to many things (dogs, cats and peanuts included) and we have a dog, a cat and he eats peanut butter every day.... so.... lol I think he needs a re-check!
All those may be what's contributing to it as well.

I have adult onset eczema, which started about 3 years ago, only in the winter months, but I would just use over the counter cream to keep it under control. Now it's progressed past that point, and even the steroid cremes aren't seeming to work out! I will try a few of the tips on here, and hopefully that will help!
Good luck on keeping that in check, Michelle!

scrappydoo82
05-15-2012, 01:05 AM
Lactaid makes yogart too along with everything else. I got all excited awhile back because they made chocolate ice cream and I couldn't remember the last time I had some because it makes me sick to my stomach.