PDA

View Full Version : break ins

scrappydoo82
05-08-2012, 08:44 PM
Ugh... earlier I had the Sherrif come up to my door asking if we have seen anything unusual because there was a break in at the storage place behind our house. I told him about hubs a couple weekends ago (apparently the time of the break in) about the dog waking hubs up at 2 am and 2 guys staring at the house and pointing towards the fence (hopefully for their common sense & security they noticed the beware of dog sign -- it will get ugly if he feels threatened) but with hubs being out of town, I couldn't give him much detail other then they were black. He tells to be extra safe since our fence is on 2 sides of their property. Seriously??????? this just makes me feel great being alone with 2 kids. So he's going to send someone out to patrol while hubs is gone.

so just got this image in my head that mama's gonna have to suck it up and pretend she's Annie Potts..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDFwoyJvGlc hehe
Reasons like this is why I am glad my dad's best friend of 20+ years/ retired marine lives next door to me.

nutsaboutgabe
05-08-2012, 09:02 PM
Oh my...how scary. I will be praying you are all safe. I'd keep some lights on at all times!

scrappydoo82
05-08-2012, 09:15 PM
I normally do since I hate the house being dark when I am alone but I think I will keep the kitchen or laundry room light on too.

webdesignmom
05-08-2012, 09:45 PM
I feel for you, when my hubby is out of town I sleep with a baseball bat. No joke.

JillW
05-08-2012, 10:45 PM
OH my goodness, I'd be frantic!!

My husband works nights so I've been alone at night for 30+ years and some nights I still get all worked up if I see / hear something ...
We live in a rural area, so there isn't ever traffic to speak of ... that why if something is a miss I get in a tizzy.

PS - Love the little Youtube clip it!

photom
05-08-2012, 11:09 PM
I'll send prayers your way that everything is ok and nothing happens. So scary!

MSPeeler
05-09-2012, 04:42 AM
I got a letter in my mailbox not long ago from a neighbor, to notify us that her and her direct nextdoor neighbor had break ins, from the front door no less! It's a mad world out there..... We got a security camera, and security screen doors and alarm system now... plus a Siberian Husky.... they've been warned.... I know how to use a bat and pepper spray at the SAME time!

StarWarsFans
05-09-2012, 01:17 PM
Reading things like this makes me so glad I live in small town, rural America!

scrappydoo82
05-09-2012, 10:52 PM
I grew up in a small town -- so probably doesn't help me.

Reading things like this makes me so glad I live in small town, rural America!

Psychozoe
05-10-2012, 06:15 AM
i live in small town rural america, but that doesn't mean there's no crime. We have such a bad prob here with meth.. and because of that, many more homes and cars and random places are getting broken in to. Be careful, even in small towns.

We have a german shepherd, and 2 other little tiny dogs... and believe me, a dog is a huge deterrent.. especially huskies, shepherds, etc.

we were out of town once and had a call from a neighbor that concerned us.. so we called the local sheriff in our town and had them go take a look around our property. They called us when they got to our house, and even they were wary of the German shepherd. they said they didn't even want to get close to the fence.

I had a big dog, too, a few years ago when I lived in Mesa. Our house was backed up to a grocery store parking lot. We had a 8 ft. block fence, though.. and we didn't ever hear or see much from that area. But one night, I was in the backyard feeding the rabbit, and my Golden retriever went nuts and ran to the fence at the back of the yard. I saw some guy trying to climb the fence and come into our yard! I freaked, and yelled... my dog is gonna get you! and I'm calling the cops! My dog was biting his feet.. he changed his mind and went back over the fence... he got away fast, because the police helicopter was there within seconds, and they never spotted him.

So I know dogs make a huge difference!

Gina, I hope everything is ok, and do what June said, and sleep with a baseball bat.

Hildur
05-10-2012, 02:26 PM
Yikes that is scary!
Glad that you have somebody close to add to your safety.

scrappydoo82
05-10-2012, 03:04 PM
Yikes Susie! Glad your dog noticed that he was coming over the fence! I agree, just because you are in a rural setting, doesn't mean it doesn't happen there. I mean, I grew up to where you didn't have to lock the doors at night, but we still did it. My dad always said window and door locks were just there to keep an honest person out.

Ambelleina
05-10-2012, 03:23 PM
I'd leave lights AND music/a TV on. Sometimes it will deter someone from breaking in if they hear noise that makes them think someone is home.

I can't even count how many times our apartments/house got broken into when I lived with my mom. Even when we were deep into poverty when I was younger and we had nothing more than one futon (for my mom, my brother and me together) and a 10" b&w tv (literally--no furniture, no beds, nothing), we had our apartment broken into and our tiny little tv stolen from us.

It got better once we moved into a house, but our house also got broken into twice. The first time, our back door was kicked in, I had my laptop stolen while I was in college. Pain the butt to have no computer while you're in college. Second time was infuriating: I installed a metal plate with a padlock on my bedroom door after the first break-in. They literally kicked my bedroom door in, shedding the plate from the wood and destroying my door, JUST to destroy my room BUT STEAL NOTHING. Like, my PS2 was unplugged and wrapped up, but not taken. My digi camera was pulled out, not taken. My jewelry was moved, not taken. But my clothes were everywhere, my air freshener was spilled all over my stuff (oil, so it ruined things), my papers were crumpled and thrown all around, my trash bin was knocked over and I had these cute candy necklaces for my sister's b-day party, they were taken out of a bag, out of their boxes and CRUNCHED all over my bedroom floor.

I damn near lost my mind. I did end up realizing they stole some DVDs from me. WOW. They had to destroy my room for some $5 Wal-Mart DVDs. I was standing in my front lawn, screaming and cussing because I was so infuriated that my room was so messed up, but hardly anything taken and no other room in the house touched.

It doesn't matter whether you live in a rich neighborhood, poor neighborhood, the city or the country. Pathetic, loser thieves are everywhere.

Can I just say I hate, hate, HATE thieves? Seriously. It's one of my all-time biggest hates. I grew up so poor with nothing for so long, I work hard for what I have now. All my clothes, all my things, everything I have I've bought with my own money from working, so it pisses me off when someone thinks they can just waltz in and take things from me.

My little sister used to steal from me all the time: clothes, make-up, jewelry, money. It is so disgusting, I don't care if she is my sister or not. A thief is a THIEF. UGH!

Invest in some pepper spray and a baseball bat. I carry pepper spray and a kubotan with me at all times. (The bf carries a knife and a ninja kubotan.) I am just kind of waiting for the day someone tries to steal from me again so I can inflict some happy little pain on their thieving life!

(JK, I do not want to be mugged and I do NOT want to have to hurt someone...but I WILL!)