PDA

View Full Version : A friendly after iNSD reminder

Tree City
05-07-2012, 03:24 PM
...to back up all those purchases and iNSD freebies! :)

We all know how ridiculously finicky our computers can be, so however you choose to back up, you best get on it :yell lol

missdamsel
05-07-2012, 03:26 PM
What a great reminder!!!

photom
05-07-2012, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the reminder!

kelley
05-07-2012, 05:54 PM
Thanks Sara! My backblaze is hard at work today :)

prettyingreen
05-07-2012, 07:12 PM
i gotta unzip it all first LOL

GingerScraps
05-07-2012, 08:27 PM
Yep I installed CrashPlan on my new computer this morning!
I'm unzipping and organizing right now ;)

Thanks for reminding everyone!! :)

Tree City
05-08-2012, 12:44 AM
Yep I installed CrashPlan on my new computer this morning!
I'm unzipping and organizing right now ;))

let us know how you like crashplan!

GingerScraps
05-08-2012, 01:07 AM
let us know how you like crashplan!
I totally like it! I have had it for 7 months. Granted I have not had to use it for a major restore, I haven't had any crashes. But It is really cool, it syncs my computer and EHD daily. I get an email telling me everything is synced. And it all runs with no noticeable effect on my speed or anything.

Ambelleina
05-08-2012, 01:18 AM
How much does it cost, Ginger?

GingerScraps
05-08-2012, 01:31 AM
I paid for a year up front, because it saved me some money. $49.00 for a year. And it is unlimited space! That was a BIG important factor to me!
here is a link- https://www.crashplan.com/consumer/store.vtl

Tree City
05-08-2012, 04:49 AM
Yowsah, that's a lot less than I was expecting!

I tried Mozy, but it made my computer slooooow. So now I just use multiple EHDs. One of them is "almost" full (has about 60GB left). I can't wait to buy a new one. Yup, I'm a dork rotfl!

Sniksnak
05-14-2012, 09:45 AM
Yesterday I backed up my EHD to another EHD - it took more than 3 hours! :36_19_2: And that was just my digi stash, no pictures or other documents. But I'm glad it's done.

Ambelleina
05-14-2012, 02:13 PM
Ok Sara and Sanne, why didn't I think of a backup EHD before?! Right now I use my EHD really as just more space for all my scrapping stuff since it eventually filled my comp and slugged it down super slow. Now I'm worried about if IT ever crashes. Duh: get another EHD! You ladies are so smart. :)

Sniksnak
05-14-2012, 03:18 PM
Actually, I have 4 EHDs hehe The first two are just too small to contain my entire digi stash. I'm considering moving my zipfiles from the new EHDs to the old EHDs in order to make room for more stuff (and have a better chance at recovery if anything crashes) but that's still in the making.

Tree City
05-15-2012, 12:29 AM
Christina, I didn't have even one EHD until after I spilled a full glass of water onto my laptop and fried the HD. :( I bought an EHD and then thought to myself, "But what if something happens to this thing?! I need another EHD!" lol

Sanne, you save the ZIP files even after you've "unzipped" and moved everything where you want it? I don't do that. Can I ask why you do?

Ambelleina
05-15-2012, 01:32 AM
Christina, I didn't have even one EHD until after I spilled a full glass of water onto my laptop and fried the HD.

http://forums.gingerscraps.net/images/smilies/smiley-vault-signs-088.gif

Tree City
05-15-2012, 04:32 AM
:smiley-vault-signs-
yup, that was my face exactly lol! But actually, DH found a case and was able to recover almost everything, so I shouldn't say "fried"... I should say "cooked for a year" cuz that's how long it took to find the case. So I figured everything--including pics of DD from birth through her first Christmas--was gone.
So now I have everything on my 2 EHDs and important stuff my 1TB desktop. :)

Sniksnak
05-15-2012, 11:45 AM
Christina, I didn't have even one EHD until after I spilled a full glass of water onto my laptop and fried the HD. :( I bought an EHD and then thought to myself, "But what if something happens to this thing?! I need another EHD!" lol

Sanne, you save the ZIP files even after you've "unzipped" and moved everything where you want it? I don't do that. Can I ask why you do?

I guess the shortest answer is that I'm too scared to delete them hehe

On a more rational note I keep them in case I delete/overwrite something by mistake or if a file is corrupted/not working. That way I can find the zipfiles and unzippe the kit again instead of having to rebuy (or get tantrums because the kit has retired).

I have considered backing up just my zip files because they might take up less space. It'll be a pain having to unzip everything in case my EHD with the unzipped files crashes but at least I have the stuff and it'll be longer between new EHD investments :) Not sure what effects this will have on my ACDSee tagging though. Obviously I will have to back up my database too but do I have to unzip everything to the exact same folders as before the crash and change database binding? Or will it be okay to just unzip things and then change binding?! I love using ACDSee but sometimes it's just too complex for my brain to understand.

Tree City
05-16-2012, 06:18 AM
hmmm. IDK about ACDSee. TBH, I didn't really like the program so I stopped using it. But I've heard that if you move things then you lose your tags. So yes, I think you'd have to redo everything but I could be wrong.
And I understand why you save the zips, but OMG that is a lot of stuff to save! You must spend lots of time backing up everything. I'd get confused and either back up the ZIPs twice but not the "unzipped" stuff or vice versa lol.

Sniksnak
05-16-2012, 09:02 AM
When I back up I use the "right click, send to" function. That way I can easily choose which folders to transfer/back up e.g. my 'digiscrap' folder or my 'zip' folder which is a subfolder of my 'digiscrap' folder.

I don't have the patience to do 3-hours back up on a regular basis. A couple of times a year, mostly after large purchases, that's what I do right now. And sometimes when my EHD sounds or acts weird :)

That's the tricky thing about ACDSee. You can recover your tagging if you've moved things around outside of ACDSee but then there's something about orphange folders that needs to be rebound or something. I've only tried it once and it took me six months of searching for a solution before I gave in and requested help from ACDSees support service.