PDA

View Full Version : Template Question for PSE users

Psychozoe
05-06-2012, 04:05 AM
I am thinking about making my templates TIFF and PNG file types only... is there a reason why I shouldn't do away with the PSD files?

Are you, as PSE users, able to use TIFF layered templates?

and any other useful info I might need to know?

At this time, I am not doing page files or sbc files

maaike
05-06-2012, 09:08 AM
I use pse and always use the tiff files!
But I think some customers prefer psd files, I wonder if every program supports tiff????

sladd79054
05-06-2012, 12:05 PM
What is tiff? I always see it but I don't know what it is, I always use the psd files

MamaCake
05-06-2012, 02:26 PM
Lisa, TIFFs open just like PSD files, I can't tell the difference in PSE or PS and I even like them better because they show the template image as folder instead of the PSD logo ANNND they are usually a smaller file size.

StarWarsFans
05-06-2012, 03:45 PM
Lisa, TIFFs open just like PSD files, I can't tell the difference in PSE or PS and I even like them better because they show the template image as folder instead of the PSD logo ANNND they are usually a smaller file size.

What she said! I use PSE 5.0 and use the TIFFS and trash the PSDs, so that works for me. What about GIMP users? Can they use TIFF or PNG?

Psychozoe
05-06-2012, 08:22 PM
Thank you everyone for the input. IDK what Gimp can use... I suppose I'll open my unused gimp program and find out. I always have pngs, though, in my template packs.

I love Tiffs, too, for the reasons above.. you can see the preview and they are smaller file sizes!

Sarah
05-06-2012, 10:53 PM
Paint Shop Pro, as far as I know, doesn't open tiff files right.

Psychozoe
05-06-2012, 10:54 PM
Sarah, do you know what files they use? PSD? (paint shop pro)

also, Gimp was brought up..... I tried to open TIFF in Gimp, but it won't open as layers.

Sarah
05-06-2012, 10:55 PM
They can use psd with no issue.

Psychozoe
05-06-2012, 11:01 PM
ok, so this is a huge reason for me not to do away with psds! Thank you, Sarah, for that info

Sarah
05-06-2012, 11:04 PM
No problem! I'm.glad I knew :D

StarWarsFans
05-06-2012, 11:54 PM
I only have a few digiscrap friends who still use GIMP, but Im pretty sure they all use PSD files as well now that I think about it.

Psychozoe
05-06-2012, 11:57 PM
Thanks Tricia

photom
05-07-2012, 03:24 PM
Oh good! I really like PSD's for how well they open in {almost} all programs. We thought we lost our computer a few months back and hubby said "You will figure out GIMP quickly...." Are you kidding me??? Just like that??? LUCKILY, we were able to get into this computer, and all was well. So, even though the PSD's are bigger, I keep EVERYTHING- PNG's, PSD's, TIFF's, etc. The only thing that I do delete is more than 1 preview for the same pack. (ie- preview in PNG folder, as well as PSD & TIFF folder.)

Psychozoe
05-08-2012, 12:19 AM
yes, lol when I get into Gimp, I get so flustered

brenian4ever
05-08-2012, 01:22 AM
I have never used the tiff files. Hmmm i am going to try them next time.

msbrad
05-08-2012, 02:34 AM
I'm cutting to the end of this thread as I need to go to bed.
Tiff files are great when the designer saves them so that they are smaller than a PSD - sorry, but not all do...[I still do not understand why- and I cannot tell you how many I've sent "MY" file >save as> tiff settings too............................................... ......................... via PM]
There is no reason, IMHO for a Tiff to be larger than a PSD.

PSD- is a photo shop document <wanna guess who created it?> I like using with Adobe. They save faster when using an Adobe program, but not the bees knees...
Tiff Graphics save, store and show both raster and vector images; it supports lossy and lossless compression; also they
were designed to be a standard image format for saving high-quality color images.

I believe to be a microsoft thingy, although not 100% sure.

JUst my 2 cents worth.
m
ps- when saved corrected a ton less HD space.

Psychozoe
05-08-2012, 02:40 AM
I like Tiffs a lot better, too for all those reasons. Thanx for the feedback, ladies