PDA

View Full Version : Photograhy business

missdamsel
05-01-2012, 06:11 PM
So, as many of you know I LOVE taking pictures and have done lots of photography sessions for different people, but have never charged for it. I currently have a few people trying to talk me into charging and starting a business with it.

First challenge is I have never charged and never paid and don't knwo where to start. ofr those of you that do it or have paid for it, what kind of packages and options do you offer and how much do you charge??

Second challenge is a name. I wanted something with missdamsel, because well, that is who I am online. Several people have said it is better to use your name. So...mcahill photography? Melissa Cahill Photography? What do you guys think??

GingerScraps
05-01-2012, 06:17 PM
Julie is a good one to give you some feedback! Let's see if she finds this thread ;)

nutsaboutgabe
05-01-2012, 06:39 PM
I have no good advice. Good luck though!

missdamsel
05-01-2012, 06:40 PM
You could always call her and tell her about it!! lol

Julie is a good one to give you some feedback! Let's see if she finds this thread ;)

prettyingreen
05-01-2012, 07:22 PM
remind me to get back to this LOL

kl.winters
05-01-2012, 07:30 PM
Seems to me when it comes to photography businesses they often have a more formal name instead of the goofy things we call ourselves here in digiland. I like Melissa Cahill Photography.

charmedeebob
05-01-2012, 09:13 PM
I agree with Kathy, it should be more sophisticated perhaps or at least promote the image you want. Like I think a photog who only does newborns and toddlers is ok to be called Tushies and Squishes, kwim? I also like Cahill Photography or Melissa C photography or maybe Ms M Photography. If you do decide to move forward, I think Stephen knows how to do good photography websites. Good luck!!!

prettyingreen
05-01-2012, 10:21 PM
oh Ms M photography sounds so cute!

AmyP
05-01-2012, 10:28 PM
If you charge people you'll probably need a business license. Most states have free ones I think. I heard that if you have your real name in your business name you don't need to register your name. Looking into all this is on my someday list also. :)

zeee
05-02-2012, 02:17 AM
I think Melissa Cahill Photography is an appropriate name. And usually go with a simple logo design.. I always get attracted to simple logos.. I really have no idea how much photogs charge tho...

A photography business is challenging, though.. Wish u luck Missi!

missdamsel
05-02-2012, 02:39 AM
Images by Melissa
Images by Ms. M

photom
05-02-2012, 04:37 PM
I personally like Melissa Cahill Photography. But congrats on this new adventure!

kelley
05-02-2012, 06:25 PM
Sounds like fun! You sound like me too - I LOVE to do shoots for people, but I never charge anyone, LOL. I've thought of doing photography as a business for a long time, but I don't know if I could bring myself to charge what it is worth.

I love Melissa Cahill Photography - it sounds very professional :)

prettyingreen
05-02-2012, 08:12 PM
i like either Ms M Photography or Melissa Cahill Photography thats IMO, but i charged once to do a wedding shoot for a 2nd cousin and i was weeks away from having Gage LOL, i charged her $50 i think and i gave her a CD full of the originals and i picked 20 or so of the best and did edits and effects to some, i didnt do any prints.

wish you lived out here we need a new family photo bad!

AmyP
05-03-2012, 09:44 PM
Sounds like fun! You sound like me too - I LOVE to do shoots for people, but I never charge anyone, LOL. I've thought of doing photography as a business for a long time, but I don't know if I could bring myself to charge what it is worth.

I love Melissa Cahill Photography - it sounds very professional :)
This sounds like me!
Once a person starts charging and makes it a business than business licenses and taxes are an issue too.

I also like Melissa Cahill Photography, or just Cahill Photography.

MamaCake
05-04-2012, 03:30 AM
and here I was going to tell you that I liked the idea of taking your online identity of Miss Damsel into the real world! lol! It's all opinion - and really, are they gonna chose you over your name or your talent? ;)