PDA

View Full Version : 35mm Film (Negatives) to Digital

Colleen
04-20-2012, 11:57 PM
I am considering my options as I have WAY too many negatives. I am trying to figure out what to do with them...

I found a 35mm scanner at Costco (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11749664&search=film+to+digital&Mo=2&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=film+to+digital&Ntt=film+to+digital&No=1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1).

Has anyone ever used one before? If so, were you happy with the quality?

Has anyone use a photo printing service to do the scanning for you? Where did you go? Were you happy with the results?

Lastly - after making all the film digital, did you keep the film? I was considering tossing the film. :O Just because they seem to take up so much space.

I would love thoughts and input! Thanks. :)

StarWarsFans
04-21-2012, 12:02 AM
I have an Epson scanner that can scan negatives. I have been slowly scanning them to digital. I think they are decent and I do throw the negatives away afterwards.

kimmyscraps
04-21-2012, 12:09 AM
I bought one of those.. the manufacturer was PanDigital. It was Okay at best. Quick, yes. But the quality, meh.. Not bad but just not good either. It would save money over the printing services for sure. I've kept my negatives but just cuz I'm scared to throw them out. I probably should.

* I need to mention that I bought mine about 2 years ago so the quality in these machines has probably improved.

While we are on the subject, anyone have any ideas on how to scan APS film without sending it somewhere?

Colleen
04-21-2012, 02:04 AM
I need to know about the APS. I made the mistake of getting one of THOSE! I used it for my trip to Europe; then I returned that sucker when I got home.

I have maybe 10-12 rolls of them, so I might just have to send them in. That worries me though...

kelley
04-21-2012, 02:36 AM
I wonder about this too. I have an Epson printer, but I don't know if it scans negatives. I have several, but not a ton anymore. I also have some slides that I'd love to get digital. I wonder if those would work in the same way with a scanner?

Lisa
04-21-2012, 03:20 AM
I wonder about this too. I have an Epson printer, but I don't know if it scans negatives. I have several, but not a ton anymore. I also have some slides that I'd love to get digital. I wonder if those would work in the same way with a scanner?

It's usually a scanner only model, not a printer/scanner combo thing, and I think it needs to have a negative adapter.

I've had this one on my wish list at Amazon for months but I've never made the leap to purchase it... Canon CanoScan (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003JQLHEA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER)

I have tons of negatives and I've been considering having them scanned or should I do it myself?

Colleen
04-21-2012, 03:31 AM
Lisa - that's my dilemma. Do it myself or have someone else do it. I just wonder if I will find time to do it. I just want it done if you know what I mean...

I have lots of negatives, so I wonder what it will cost me to bring it in. Is it worth the cost of a nice scanner or not?!? LOL

Lisa
04-21-2012, 03:39 AM
Colleen - the one you were looking at from Costco has decent reviews and the nice thing is they'll take anything back. I'm tempted.

Colleen
04-21-2012, 03:48 AM
That's a valid point. If I don't like it or the quality, I can just return it. ;) Thanks for the idea. I think I might just do that! It was fairly inexpensive too...
Colleen - the one you were looking at from Costco has decent reviews and the nice thing is they'll take anything back. I'm tempted.

nutsaboutgabe
04-21-2012, 01:16 PM
I wish you gals lived closer to me. I have the Canon CanoScan 8600SF - probably the model before the one you linked to Lisa and it has the negative adapter, but I've actually never used that.

It's usually a scanner only model, not a printer/scanner combo thing, and I think it needs to have a negative adapter.

I've had this one on my wish list at Amazon for months but I've never made the leap to purchase it... Canon CanoScan (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003JQLHEA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER)

I have tons of negatives and I've been considering having them scanned or should I do it myself?

kimmyscraps
04-21-2012, 11:59 PM
I wish you gals lived closer to me. I have the Canon CanoScan 8600SF - probably the model before the one you linked to Lisa and it has the negative adapter, but I've actually never used that.

Does it have a 35mm negative adaptor or the APS adaptor?? If it had the APS I would be willing to send them to you and pay you! ;) Just a thought!!

photom
04-22-2012, 03:41 AM
Thanks for the link Colleen! It says that it scans into a 14 mega pixel image, so actually that is way higher than my camera right now. I have like 3 or 4 paper boxes (you know- the ones that 10 reams come in) full of pictures and negatives, so this is something that I need! Almost all of my 1st daughter's special pics are 35 mm.

scrappydoo82
04-23-2012, 12:49 PM
I used one that was maybe $70 that my dad bought to scan my granparents pictures and it really wasn't the greatest. But I bought one to scan my husbands grandfathers slides - and a box for is fathers from 1950's and it ran about $150 and it was great. If you spend a little more, you will get your money out of it.

Some of the pics I scanned were amazing

Colleen
04-23-2012, 03:11 PM
Thanks Gina! When was it that you purchased the negative scanners? Prices seem to go down quickly with electronics. And $100 is almost in the middle of the two that you bought. ;)

I think I am going to give the one at Costco a try. If it has poor quality, I am just going to return it! :)

scrappydoo82
04-23-2012, 05:43 PM
The one I purchased was in 2010. It's made by Wolverine and had the negative & slide holders. I liked it better than the one my dad found because I didnt have to hook this one directly to the computer if I didn't want to & it had a screen to see the photo when it saved and came with a SD Card! I found mine at compusa.

sparkysgirl
04-23-2012, 05:53 PM
I recently had the slides my parents took of our family when I was a child scanned to digital by Costco. I chose them because they have the ability to do it on site (at least my location did). I was so worried about sending them off since they technically don't belong to me. Costco did a great job. I wasn't happy with some of the files because they have an auto correct feature that attempted to fix problems as the slides were scanned ... Exposure corrections, red eye, etc. I pulled the ones I didn't like and they rescanned them for me with the autocorrect turned off and didn't charge me for the rescans. I was very happy with how they turned out. They occasionally run a special on these types of services so you might want to watch for it and give them a shot. I'm sure there are differences between locations though ... I just thought I'd share my experience!

Colleen
04-23-2012, 05:57 PM
The one that I am planning on buying at Costco is a Wolverine brand. It's linked in my first post. ;) I wonder if it's the same on you have then.
The one I purchased was in 2010. It's made by Wolverine and had the negative & slide holders. I liked it better than the one my dad found because I didnt have to hook this one directly to the computer if I didn't want to & it had a screen to see the photo when it saved and came with a SD Card! I found mine at compusa.

Colleen
04-23-2012, 05:58 PM
Thanks, Lisa. Do you remember what the charge was for this service? I tried looking for it online at Costco, but I couldn't find any pricing... ;)
I recently had the slides my parents took of our family when I was a child scanned to digital by Costco. I chose them because they have the ability to do it on site (at least my location did). I was so worried about sending them off since they technically don't belong to me. Costco did a great job. I wasn't happy with some of the files because they have an auto correct feature that attempted to fix problems as the slides were scanned ... Exposure corrections, red eye, etc. I pulled the ones I didn't like and they rescanned them for me with the autocorrect turned off and didn't charge me for the rescans. I was very happy with how they turned out. They occasionally run a special on these types of services so you might want to watch for it and give them a shot. I'm sure there are differences between locations though ... I just thought I'd share my experience!

photom
04-23-2012, 06:48 PM
Colleen, when are you thinking of picking up this? I have a tax rebate that is coming (and already budgeted out), but I might splurge and get one of these if you give the thumbs up! I normally don't walk the "electronics" section at Costco, so do you know if this is something that they have on location?

scrappydoo82
04-23-2012, 07:42 PM
I didn't even see the link when I first read that lol. It's the same brand but looks like it's somewhat different.

This is the one i have http://www.amazon.com/Wolverine-Digital-Converter-2-4-Inch-TV-Out/dp/B002TKMG92/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335209517&sr=8-1

Honestly it's such a cheaper route than having someone scan tons of boxes of negatives or slides. I had about 15 boxes to scan... it would of cost a pretty penny to have a company do it. I would say about $.50 per frame. It's time consuming but was worth watching his grandfathers face light up looking back at all those photos.

The one that I am planning on buying at Costco is a Wolverine brand. It's linked in my first post. ;) I wonder if it's the same on you have then.

sparkysgirl
04-23-2012, 10:39 PM
I verified on my Costco page just to make sure: $17.99 for the first 50 slides, $.29 per additional slide.

Here's a link to what I find when I go to my Costco page: http://www.costcodvd.com/slides_to_dvd.aspx

Thanks, Lisa. Do you remember what the charge was for this service? I tried looking for it online at Costco, but I couldn't find any pricing... ;)

photom
04-24-2012, 04:07 PM
I verified on my Costco page just to make sure: $17.99 for the first 50 slides, $.29 per additional slide.

Here's a link to what I find when I go to my Costco page: http://www.costcodvd.com/slides_to_dvd.aspx
WAY out of MY range- as I have 10+ YEARS of negatives to scan!

Colleen
04-24-2012, 04:54 PM
I saw that, but I wasn' sure if it applied to negatives because it said slides. ;) I am really going to have to think on this. I guess I don't have a time limit on when I need to get them done, so I should just do it myself. LOL I guess I have a 3 year limit, so thay is quite a bit of time. I want them done before I have to move again. ;)

Colleen
04-24-2012, 04:55 PM
Sarah - I have no clue if they are in the store or not. I just did an online search. We actually just joined Costco, and I have only been once... :)
Colleen, when are you thinking of picking up this? I have a tax rebate that is coming (and already budgeted out), but I might splurge and get one of these if you give the thumbs up! I normally don't walk the "electronics" section at Costco, so do you know if this is something that they have on location?

Colleen
04-24-2012, 05:00 PM
Can you believe that I just clicked on my link, and it is saying the product is not available... :( Off to try and see if Costco really doesn't have it when I just found it. :(

Colleen
04-24-2012, 05:01 PM
Yup, they seriously aren't listing it online anymore. :( :( :( I am really bummed about this.

photom
04-24-2012, 05:01 PM
Sarah - I have no clue if they are in the store or not. I just did an online search. We actually just joined Costco, and I have only been once... :)
Oh darn. I don't see an "online only" anywhere, but I also haven't ever seen it in store either. I guess I might just need to ask when I'm there. I'm more likely to pick it up in store than to buy online. BTW- Good choice on getting a membership! I just LOVE it! I buy a lot of salad stuff for my family, so the $5/mo ($55/12 months) fee to be able to shop there ends up saving me over $20 JUST in salad supplies only! (Like 8 super mega bags of lettuce for $2.49/ea. Going to the grocery store- they are $5 each!)

Colleen
04-24-2012, 05:18 PM
We have been Sam's Club members my entire life. They just don't have one close to us, so we had to do Costco. I am still liking Sam's Club a tad better, and they are cheaper too in the membership cost. I do like Costco, but I just think I miss Sam's Club! ;)

nutsaboutgabe
04-24-2012, 09:30 PM
Kimmy I don't think it had the APS adapter. I am not even sure what it looks like. I know it does negatives and I was trying to find information about my model online and there's not much out there. It keeps taking me to the new cano scan one.

Does it have a 35mm negative adaptor or the APS adaptor?? If it had the APS I would be willing to send them to you and pay you! ;) Just a thought!!

Lisa
04-24-2012, 11:23 PM
I think the problem with APS is that it lives in the container so you gotta get it out. I'm not sure if the actual film size is much different than regular 35mm negatives except if you had shot some pics in panoramic.

nutsaboutgabe
04-24-2012, 11:42 PM
Sometimes I wished I lived in a container ...just for a day or two. hehe

I think the problem with APS is that it lives in the container so you gotta get it out. I'm not sure if the actual film size is much different than regular 35mm negatives except if you had shot some pics in panoramic.

Colleen
04-25-2012, 12:12 AM
Yeah, I think the problem is that the APS and 35mm negatives are different sizes. I bet you can get it to work with your 35mm scanner, but it just might be a pain trying to get them to line up every time....