PDA

View Full Version : Newbie learning to design

cuddly14ever
04-17-2012, 12:23 PM
I had already posted in: Welcome! Introduce Yourself Here! - forum
I did not know I was supposed to start a new thread - so here is what I had posted.

Well not sure what exactly what to say... I just joined the forum this morning (coffee cup in had). I really love your products, I have been buying them for at least the past month or so. Today I wanted a lil more oomf in my day and I hope I find it soon. Being a stay at home mom looking for work is a lil overwhelming and I learned to cope through my scrapping. I just started my own blog about 2 weeks ago and I am not feeling it, mom keeps telling me that I need to stay with it and I will soon find the oomf. I hope she is right!.... Well anyways I just wanted to stop in and say "hello"... Happy scrapping everyone

I am using paint shop pro x2... I also have photo shop and photo shop elements- I flip flop from all 3 depending on whatI feel like using. I started out with paint shop pro 9.... I am sooo used to making tags and blinkies that I had to steer myself away because I found it to be some what quite boring from using the same techniques over and over again. Any suggestions for someone who is starting out blogging and Ideas on what I could do to make mine stand out?

Ambelleina
04-17-2012, 01:12 PM
And I will again say...welcome to GS! :confetti::multistars: hehe

The designers here are suuuuper talented, so I'm sure you will get lots of feedback on any question you post.

Hope you find your oomph here! :D

StarWarsFans
04-17-2012, 01:35 PM
Hi! Welcome to GS! I'm not sure what to tell you on the blogging. I never got the hang of it myself.

dodgeladee
04-17-2012, 02:19 PM
Welcome to GS! I suck at blogging, so I don't have any tips, but I wanted to say howdy anyway!

Harmonystar
04-17-2012, 02:29 PM
Welcome welcome! Scrapping saved me from insanity when I had my first son and quit work to stay at home with him. Now with my third on the way being bored doesn't come up so often, but being unfulfilled does occur at times. I love it here. The ladies here can help with anything from scrapping to photography to parenting.

With blogging, you need to think of your audience. Who are you blogging for? Do you want to share your ideas? just share family photos with family and friends? What is your blog about? Once you decide that, it's easier to decide what style you want and how to reach that audience. Looking forward to seeing more of you around the forum!

chigirl
04-17-2012, 03:46 PM
welcome to GS!!! not a blogger myself so I'll let others give advice there.

lauramarie
04-17-2012, 09:36 PM
Welcome to GS! Are you asking for tips on how to blog? I think you first need to decide what your goals are in a blog? I mean, are you trying to be like Dooce, and have your blog buy you new homes, trips around the world and more? Well I would love that too but its not that simple. You do need to decide who your audience is and what your trying to do. Google your ideas and see who has blogs that interest you. You cannot start out being the next big "blog". Anything in life worth having takes a lot of hard work so baby steps and just keep going at it. Good luck!

cuddly14ever
04-17-2012, 10:29 PM
My blog is about what makes me, me... so to say. I enjoy many aspects of the creative world such as cross stitching, scrapping paper and digital, cooking, and now I am trying to learn how to use a sewing machine. I am more of a DIY-er, I am getting married this October and I am basically do it all DIY style LOL. So as to what the blog is about- its just me that is all I am and all I can be. The best part of being me is the joy of learning and I love to learn new things and the best way i do that is just jump in and get hands on. :) I can't wait to learn something new.

I do have a question now that I think of it- To the designers out there- When you design do you use the pen type mouse to help you create the things you do? I have one on my Christmas list this year with the little glass mouse pad to help.

Lauracw
04-18-2012, 12:31 AM
DIY is a great blog topic!! Grab your camera and take pics the next time you do a project and then you can blog about the steps and the finished project tutorial style! For the most part, your blog shouldn't feel like work. So you should pick a topic you are really excited about!

Terra
04-18-2012, 03:44 AM
Welcome to Ginger Scraps... While I'm definitely not an expert on blogging, I can say that the blogs that keep me going back again and again are blogs that have more than just scraps. Sometimes it's crafty stuff, recipes, tips and tutorials... Since it seems like a personal blog... I'd just go for it and try all kinds of different things. Sometimes trial and error is the best way to learn what will work best for you and your readers!

redutedaisy
04-18-2012, 06:05 AM
Welcome! Scrapbooking and being here are great ways to help with the long days of being "mom"! Not sure I have great advice about blogging except to say to be consistent and know it takes time to build it up. And commenting on other blogs helps too (what goes around comes around, right?).

lauramarie
04-18-2012, 01:40 PM
Oh, well there you go. Document everything your doing for your wedding and how your doing it, photos, instructions and cost if you can. Open a pinterest account so that others can pin your blog. You also should know how to tag with keywords so when someone searches for DIY, wedding, your blog will show up in their list of choices.

Ambelleina
04-18-2012, 02:13 PM
I agree--definitely blog all about your wedding DIY stuff, then join Pinterest and pin all your projects!

If I get married, I plan on doing it DIY, so I already have a DIY wedding board going. :)

If you do your blog about DIY wedding stuff, you can definitely count me in to pin stuff from your blog! :D

I just love crafting and DIY stuff, so maybe try that route, pin your posts on Pinterest, go around to other similar blogs and leave comments with your links on similar stuff!

cuddly14ever
04-19-2012, 09:36 AM
Thank you, I did not even think of posting what I was doing for the wedding as in DIY, But I think I will now. I have sooooo many ideas that I would love to incorporate into the wedding. I have till next summer to have it all ready to go. Thank you for the encouragement and ideas :)
can't wait to see what happens.

Tree City
04-20-2012, 12:34 AM
hi and welcome to GS! like PP have said, I never really got into the blogging thing. I have a blog, but it is so neglected, I can't remember the last time I posted anything.

cuddly14ever
04-23-2012, 06:29 PM
I agree--definitely blog all about your wedding DIY stuff, then join Pinterest and pin all your projects!

If I get married, I plan on doing it DIY, so I already have a DIY wedding board going. :)

If you do your blog about DIY wedding stuff, you can definitely count me in to pin stuff from your blog! :D

I just love crafting and DIY stuff, so maybe try that route, pin your posts on Pinterest, go around to other similar blogs and leave comments with your links on similar stuff!

Well today I had put up a DIY organization tip on my blogs and it only takes like 5 mins.

I am trying to figure out how I am going to put instructions on my wedding invites and save the date cards because I am doing them all digitally and then go get them printed off and send them off to the guests * sigh* all 300 hundred of my family members and 20 of his
(more reason to do DIY style LOL)

cuddly14ever
04-23-2012, 06:52 PM
I am on pintrest and I do post my pics on there

carladee
04-29-2012, 10:12 AM
Welcome to Gingerscraps, I use PSP12 myself have also PSE but don't know how to use it.