PDA

View Full Version : The Scorpions Finally Got on the Score Board

PixelsByJen
04-14-2012, 05:15 AM
Those of you who are friends with me on FB know that I have been keeping tally of the number of scorpions we have killed. Until tonight that number was Jordans 60+ Scorpions 0

My husband has a traveling job, he left tonight to be gone for the weekend. I put on my sweat pants at about 7 pm to help him pack and not have to worry about getting dirty, since we were loading up the motor home. Anyway, I had the pants on for about 3 hours....a while. I came in and sat down at my computer and felt what I thought was a sticker or burr on the inside of my sweat pants, WRONG!!!!! As soon as I scratched my knee I felt the sting.....needless to say I stripped pretty fast, LOL (sorry if TMI) I knew I needed to get the thing out of my pants and confirm what I knew it to be (since it was my first time being stung) so I gently pulled my pant leg inside out, and of course my hand just happened to be right where he was....I thought I was being cautious, but he got me on my finger too!!!!

It doesn't feel very nice, but I am pretty sure I am not allergic to them since I haven't gone into shock yet, but DH is freaking out since he is out of town and we are in a new house with no one close by... he is calling me about every 20 min LOL.

We had already sprayed earlier this week, but when hubby gets home we are hiring the PROFESSIONALS!

Ambelleina
04-14-2012, 05:22 AM
<sup>GOSH, what is the deal?!

last time i saw so many scorpions, i was at summer camp in the middle of the woods.

i despise anything bug-related, so if i were in your position, i'd be at a HOTEL! cripes, hope the issue is solved very soon!</sup>

Lisa
04-14-2012, 05:30 AM
Eeeeewwwww! Good to hear your not allergic, time to start turning all your clothing inside out before getting dressed from now on!

PixelsByJen
04-14-2012, 05:31 AM
Eeeeewwwww! Good to hear your not allergic, time to start turning all your clothing inside out before getting dressed from now on!

LOL yep, but that is what I was doing when I got stung on my finger!!!!! At least it would be my finger and not something else if I check my clothes :)

MSPeeler
04-14-2012, 06:20 AM
OH my gosh!!!! YUCK!! Where do you live that there are so many scorpions!? I've honestly never seen one (in the wild) in my life!

missdamsel
04-14-2012, 09:58 AM
Meat tenderizer will help with the sting. I know I am probably too late and hopefully you won't have to know this info again!

But seriously since the winter ws SO mild and there has been lots of rain they will be worse this year! Ugh!!\

And now the score is 60-2. Off to find you on FB!!

sladd79054
04-14-2012, 12:21 PM
EEEEK, I would be flipping out. Thank goodness you are not allergic to them. I have never seen one in my life and that is perfectly fine with me.

prettyingreen
04-14-2012, 01:45 PM
i dont know if i'd be abl to sleep lol glad its feeling better

PixelsByJen
04-14-2012, 02:48 PM
Meat tenderizer will help with the sting. I know I am probably too late and hopefully you won't have to know this info again!

But seriously since the winter ws SO mild and there has been lots of rain they will be worse this year! Ugh!!\

And now the score is 60-2. Off to find you on FB!!

Thanks Missi! Some one said raw onions help too....I didn't try either last night, but the welts are finally gone this morning, I can feel it a bit still in my knee but not bad.

Curt and I retallied them up last night and I think it is 63-2 now, but I don't know whether to count that scorpion as 1 or 2 since it was the same bug, LOL

PixelsByJen
04-14-2012, 03:08 PM
OH my gosh!!!! YUCK!! Where do you live that there are so many scorpions!? I've honestly never seen one (in the wild) in my life!

Central Texas...not as bad as Arizona's scorions (not as poisonous) but fierce in number. I'd show you this pic of the two in the toilet, but they are hard to see, so here is a different one :)

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo151/VCJORDI/DSC02498.jpg

missdamsel
04-14-2012, 03:43 PM
He got in two stings, I would give them the two. It hopefully is THE ONLY two they will get!!

Curt and I retallied them up last night and I think it is 63-2 now, but I don't know whether to count that scorpion as 1 or 2 since it was the same bug, LOL

MSPeeler
04-14-2012, 04:56 PM
I grew up, born and raised (19 years) in Fort Worth, Texas..... still never seen one! They look SO scary!!!

:shock

charmedeebob
04-14-2012, 05:11 PM
omg I have the heebs just reading this post, you are a braver woman than I Jen! they are teeny little suckers!!!! glad you are ok this morning hun!

Colleen
04-14-2012, 07:01 PM
YIKES! I am happy that you are okay today. Wow - something as simple as wearing pants. Maybe you should stop doing that - I bet the hubby wouldn't mind! ;) Anyway, I hope you are still doing well, and I hope the professionals have better luck then you at spraying and getting rid of them.

PixelsByJen
04-14-2012, 08:09 PM
YIKES! I am happy that you are okay today. Wow - something as simple as wearing pants. Maybe you should stop doing that - I bet the hubby wouldn't mind! ;) Anyway, I hope you are still doing well, and I hope the professionals have better luck then you at spraying and getting rid of them.

LOL Colleen, actually I wear skirts 99% of the time, I put on the sweats partly because they are easier to work in, guess I should have stayed in the skirt :)

catgoddess
04-14-2012, 08:37 PM
I used to live out in the Mojave in California and the scorpions there are huge and plentiful. I was a regular fixture in the yard with a huge garden hoe. I was like a crazed lady chopping them to bits... and then you have to chase the bits. We had some that were 6-8" long. I'd take those over those little ones you have any day, though. The big ones are easier to spot and chop. We also didn't have anywhere near 60... I probably killed a dozen over the course of 4 years in 3 different houses.

Now, black widows, those we had a ton of. OMG and the ground squirrels... we even had a gila monster once.

You definitely need some professionals out there. There is something in your house or yard that scorpions like and that's why they're plentiful. They wont stay where it's inhospitable or where food isn't plentiful. Hopefully they can find the source, remove that and the scorpions will move on.

PixelsByJen
04-14-2012, 09:03 PM
I used to live out in the Mojave in California and the scorpions there are huge and plentiful. I was a regular fixture in the yard with a huge garden hoe. I was like a crazed lady chopping them to bits... and then you have to chase the bits. We had some that were 6-8" long. I'd take those over those little ones you have any day, though. The big ones are easier to spot and chop. We also didn't have anywhere near 60... I probably killed a dozen over the course of 4 years in 3 different houses.

Now, black widows, those we had a ton of. OMG and the ground squirrels... we even had a gila monster once.

You definitely need some professionals out there. There is something in your house or yard that scorpions like and that's why they're plentiful. They wont stay where it's inhospitable or where food isn't plentiful. Hopefully they can find the source, remove that and the scorpions will move on.

We actually just moved from Colorado where the black widows were a big problem, and I think now after being stung, I would rather have the scorpion, LOL....I just hope my kids aren't allergic to them.

Psychozoe
04-14-2012, 10:49 PM
omgsoh Jen! we have more scorpions this year than most... we've already killed 4 scorpions in the last 2 weeks.... that's only the ones we can see. they don't hang around each other too much. I have been stung one time ( but it was in the face in 2 places) ughhh and they give me the creeps more than any critter ever. We live in SE arizona and we hear lots of fun stories about peeps who lived in this area 100 years ago who were just developing the towns. They would put their bed posts in water cans with water in them to keep the scorpions from climbing on their beds, but the scary thing is scorpions climb walls and ceilings.

when I got stung in the face several years ago, it was cuz the scorpion was in my towel that was folded on the counter. I had my eyes closed, opened the towel, put it to my face and started drying. it felt like a pin prick. when I saw that scorpion, I screamed for a looong time and ran around naked. i was so creeped out that i had a scorpion in my face! lol

Jen, I totally understand how you are creeped out!

I always shake my shoes, clothes, towels, and everything out before I put them on. I even open my bed and look in the covers and under my pillow and stuff.

It's not as bad as it sounds, but it just creeps ya out.

My husbands uncle is a pest control guy, and he says there's really no good poison for scorpions, but if you can get rid of their food sources, like other bugs and nesting places. get rid of railroad ties, bark chips, or places like that where they like to nest. Unfortunately they love swimming pools, so if you have one, that's a given that you'll have scorpions.

ughhh keep up the good fight Jen! I found the best thing I have to kill them with is our flat-bottom pans! my husband thinks I'm nuts.

PixelsByJen
04-14-2012, 10:59 PM
omgsoh Jen! we have more scorpions this year than most... we've already killed 4 scorpions in the last 2 weeks.... that's only the ones we can see.

I always shake my shoes, clothes, towels, and everything out before I put them on. I even open my bed and look in the covers and under my pillow and stuff.

My husbands uncle is a pest control guy, and he says there's really no good poison for scorpions, but if you can get rid of their food sources, like other bugs and nesting places. get rid of railroad ties, bark chips, or places like that where they like to nest. Unfortunately they love swimming pools, so if you have one, that's a given that you'll have scorpions.

ughhh keep up the good fight Jen! I found the best thing I have to kill them with is our flat-bottom pans! my husband thinks I'm nuts.

You are lucky you have only seen 4. We just moved here Dec 29th, and we have killed more than 60 but 25 of those have been this week ALONE. Most in the house and apartment that is in our shop.

I wish shaking would get them all out, but DH and I have discovered that they are kinda sticky....when we pick up a rug with them and shake it, they sometimes stick until brushed, or smashed off. We have taken to lifting up all toilet seats incase they are under the one you sit on...there have been scorpions in the toilet twice in the past week too!

And yeah, we have a pool, so lucky us, and we live right beside a wooded area, so double trouble I guess.

I have discovered if the most you can get of them (if they are moving too fast) is their stinger- like with a shovel or something, they will die a little while after their tail has been cut....last night I killed one with a broom handle, one with my shoe and the one in my pants with a coaster from my desk, LOL

Psychozoe
04-14-2012, 11:06 PM
omgoodness! sticky scorpions! ughhhh!!! U guyz are definitely on hyper alert! I think a pest control will def help! I'm getting the heebee jeebees just reading about your adventure.

when I first moved to this area 12 years ago,the first house we bought was further out of town, and the house had been unoccupied for a while, so the bugs had the run of the place. Before they put it on the market , they sprayed I guess, because when we went in to clean and move in, there were dead scorpions all over one room, for some reason. my sister was there helping clean, and we finally got all the scorpions cleaned up, they were all in a container... my sister said they look like those crunchy chow mein noodles, lol, she grossed me out. It was a long time till I ate those noodles again

PixelsByJen
04-14-2012, 11:12 PM
LOL Susie, we started a jar for them too, they stink when they are all piled up and dead though, we are hoping we don't fill the jar with them cause that would mean we have WAY too many!

Psychozoe
04-14-2012, 11:16 PM
but you could eat chinese!

Psychozoe
04-14-2012, 11:16 PM
ok that was gross!

PixelsByJen
04-14-2012, 11:28 PM
LOL gross but funny :)

catgoddess
04-15-2012, 01:08 AM
Jen, I would rather have the scorpions, too. Our neighbor (a grown man) was bit by a black widow in bed and he was sick for weeks and in a lot of pain. I'm glad you're not allergic and I hope your kiddos aren't either. I just can't believe how many you all have! That's just horrid. xoxo

MSPeeler
04-15-2012, 02:14 AM
I am going to have nightmares. I shouldn't have read this post all the way through. LOL

catgoddess
04-15-2012, 03:01 AM
lol I told Wes about this thread and he keeps checking his pants for bugs.

charmedeebob
04-15-2012, 06:06 AM
I am going to have nightmares. I shouldn't have read this post all the way through. LOL

omg, me too, I seriously am so completely heebed out right now, Jen and Susie I love you and this is fascinating but I can NOT read this thread again LOL, don't even reply, I won't open it again!!! LOL

PixelsByJen
04-15-2012, 07:04 AM
ROFLMAO- Char you are too funny! sorry to give you nightmares....I am off to check my bed before i go to sleep tonight :)

PixelsByJen
04-15-2012, 07:06 AM
On a positive note, I only killed ONE today! Of course the wind is blowing like crazy so they are all in hiding, using their stickiness to stay wherever they are LOL

Colleen
04-15-2012, 03:31 PM
How scary to get stung in the face! ICK!
omgsoh Jen! we have more scorpions this year than most... we've already killed 4 scorpions in the last 2 weeks.... that's only the ones we can see. they don't hang around each other too much. I have been stung one time ( but it was in the face in 2 places) ughhh and they give me the creeps more than any critter ever. We live in SE arizona and we hear lots of fun stories about peeps who lived in this area 100 years ago who were just developing the towns. They would put their bed posts in water cans with water in them to keep the scorpions from climbing on their beds, but the scary thing is scorpions climb walls and ceilings.

when I got stung in the face several years ago, it was cuz the scorpion was in my towel that was folded on the counter. I had my eyes closed, opened the towel, put it to my face and started drying. it felt like a pin prick. when I saw that scorpion, I screamed for a looong time and ran around naked. i was so creeped out that i had a scorpion in my face! lol

Jen, I totally understand how you are creeped out!

It's not as bad as it sounds, but it just creeps ya out.

Colleen
04-15-2012, 03:31 PM
That is too funny! LOL
LOL Susie, we started a jar for them too, they stink when they are all piled up and dead though, we are hoping we don't fill the jar with them cause that would mean we have WAY too many!

Sarah
04-15-2012, 05:09 PM
No more complaining about little spiders! Most of ours don't bite.

nutsaboutgabe
04-15-2012, 05:41 PM
Oh my Jen - I saw your post on FB and ouch!!

How are the boys handling all the scorpion sitings? Do they check their beds. Hopefully they are not allergic either if they happen to get stung..hopefully they don't!!

photom
04-17-2012, 01:18 AM
OK- this is horrid! I got about 1/2 way through the thread before I had to go use the bathroom. You bet that I checked everywhere in there first! We have major spider problems. I've been bit a few times, and my poor baby got bit a few months ago. I saw 3 itty bitty spots on her back, and thought she had just scratched herself somehow. Within 1/2 hour, she had major welts. I put on some essential oils, and luckily before the next morning they were gone. I don't know what would have happened without those oils. SCARES me to death to think about it! About 2 months ago she went in to go use the potty chair- it's just next to the big one so she can grab it easily if she wants to. Right there was a HUGE Black Widow Spider on her seat! Potty training can wait!
So- NOW you tell me to watch out for scorpions in AZ! I was just there! I'm SO glad that I didn't see any- cuz they really freak me out! Maybe we'll have to postpone our AZ luncheon until they have all been eradicated!

Psychozoe
04-17-2012, 01:22 AM
Sarah, there are areas of Arizona where you will never see a scorpion. Well-developed neighborhoods, like that have been around for 50 years... all the scorpions are gone.. but in new housing and there are even hot spots of scorpions in different cities. I lived in Mesa for 12 years and only saw 1 scorpion. but there are black widows galore in Mesa... let's just say our pest control person was one of our best friends, lol!

photom
04-17-2012, 01:28 AM
Sarah, there are areas of Arizona where you will never see a scorpion. Well-developed neighborhoods, like that have been around for 50 years... all the scorpions are gone.. but in new housing and there are even hot spots of scorpions in different cities. I lived in Mesa for 12 years and only saw 1 scorpion. but there are black widows galore in Mesa... let's just say our pest control person was one of our best friends, lol!
I guess I just need to go and google how long Sun City has been around? I think I'm going to have to seriously clean everything once I get back down there just to make sure there isn't anything hiding anywhere! Plus, you just made me not want to go see hubby's family in Mesa/ Gilbert!

nutsaboutgabe
04-17-2012, 01:30 AM
I don't the cold weather we have here in CT, but I dislike insects and arachnids even more so I suppose I'll stay up here.

When I lived in KY, I spotted two black widow spiders outside. I killed one, but wasn't able to get the other one. I was scared to let Gabe play in the back yard!

nutsaboutgabe
04-17-2012, 01:31 AM
Are you moving to AZ Sara?

I guess I just need to go and google how long Sun City has been around? I think I'm going to have to seriously clean everything once I get back down there just to make sure there isn't anything hiding anywhere! Plus, you just made me not want to go see hubby's family in Mesa/ Gilbert!

Psychozoe
04-17-2012, 01:31 AM
black widows - (just make sure you don't explore areas in the yard where things sit a lot... .like under barbeques, old tires, etc.

you wanna do something fun?

get a black light and go out searching for scorpions!!!

photom
04-17-2012, 01:32 AM
Are you moving to AZ Sara?
Nope. My parents bought a winter home there and we just went up there for my sister's spring break. I WAS thinking of November, but I may rethink that now!!!!!!!!!

nutsaboutgabe
04-17-2012, 01:34 AM
One was behind my recycling bin and the other was under the door frame to enter my house. I got that one!!

My idea of fun and your idea of fun must be VERY different Susie. LOL

black widows - (just make sure you don't explore areas in the yard where things sit a lot... .like under barbeques, old tires, etc.

Psychozoe
04-17-2012, 01:34 AM
oh Barb! I would have been scared, too, to let my kids out. I always checked places in the backyard before my kids went out to play. I also warned them of the places to be careful of.. we averted a disaster somehow.. luckily. they did get stung a couple times by scorpions, though. Scorpions are really only a danger if you have a danger of anaphylaxis.. (sp?) .. old people, very sick people, or very young children. But that didn't stop me from worrying and being careful.

Psychozoe
04-17-2012, 01:35 AM
hahah as long as my husband is with me!

Sara in Nov it's cold, too... and they don't like cold (scorpions, that is)

Psychozoe
04-17-2012, 01:39 AM
Jen, what's the score today?

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e105/CommentCrazyGirl/Smiley%20Animals/Birds%20Bugs/d30f7f902d1f18c870dc108328db8e42.gif

PixelsByJen
04-17-2012, 02:52 AM

LOL, DH says he's gonna spend $50 on one so he can hunt them down.....5 yesterday, and 9 in the pool vaccum this morning and one in the hallway tonight as the boys were going to bed. Our neighbor says don't do the pesticide because it kills the lizards too, and the lizards eat the scorpions i guess....so now we are debating hiring or just doing our own spray again.

PixelsByJen
04-17-2012, 02:53 AM
That brings us to 79-2

Psychozoe
04-17-2012, 02:54 AM
oh I didn't realized it killed the lizards! hunting them down sounds fun. It could be a family thang. if ya can' beat em, at least have fun hunting them down.

Psychozoe
04-17-2012, 02:55 AM
Jen, have you noticed that most bugs run away, but scorpions run toward you!?

that is so creepy..

PixelsByJen
04-17-2012, 03:00 AM
Oh and I am hiring the neighbor kids to catch me some lizards, LOL

PixelsByJen
04-17-2012, 03:02 AM
Jen, have you noticed that most bugs run away, but scorpions run toward you!?

that is so creepy..

Yeah, right to your feet every time, you have to jump over them! ugh!

PixelsByJen
04-17-2012, 03:04 AM
oh I didn't realized it killed the lizards! hunting them down sounds fun. It could be a family thang. if ya can' beat em, at least have fun hunting them down.

Yep :) My boys check in every day after school to see how many we got, the jar is filling up! The neighbor is keeping count too, he says it is the worst year in the 8 years he has been here.

PixelsByJen
04-17-2012, 03:09 AM
Barb, we had the black widows move into our mudroom in our house in Colorado, scary with little kids. We were even more disgusted to see that we brought a couple with us inside our dining room table leg...the leg broke in the move from CO to TX and when we picked up the parts there was 2 widows! The table did sit in our garage for a month before we moved, so I am hoping the widows weren't actually in the house and just moved in when it was storing

PixelsByJen
04-17-2012, 03:09 AM
I wonder who would win, a widow or a scorpion, hmmmmm not showing dh this thread or he will get ideas!

Colleen
04-17-2012, 04:02 AM
LOL That reminds me of the guys that have deployed with my husband. They have done camel spiders vs scorpions, I believe. It was something like that anyway to see which would win. I don't even remember the outcome.
I wonder who would win, a widow or a scorpion, hmmmmm not showing dh this thread or he will get ideas!

Psychozoe
04-17-2012, 04:52 AM
oh wierd! scorp vs black widow!

Colleen, i watched something about those camel spiders, apparently they aren't as serious as some bugs are but they sure are ugly!!!

Colleen
04-17-2012, 05:32 AM
Yeah - they aren't as bad as people report, but they get huge and are aggressive.

nutsaboutgabe
04-17-2012, 11:14 AM
wow. that table leg was meant to break so you would know they were there.

Barb, we had the black widows move into our mudroom in our house in Colorado, scary with little kids. We were even more disgusted to see that we brought a couple with us inside our dining room table leg...the leg broke in the move from CO to TX and when we picked up the parts there was 2 widows! The table did sit in our garage for a month before we moved, so I am hoping the widows weren't actually in the house and just moved in when it was storing

photom
04-19-2012, 01:03 AM
Reminds me of my husband too! About 2 months ago, he was telling me how strong black widow threads really are. So he tells me that we are going to build a black widow "room." Are you serious??????? I told him I would move out if he ever did that!

Suzie- glad to know that during the "cold" months (like what- 70?) they don't come out to play.

Psychozoe
04-19-2012, 01:29 AM
here's some info about scorpions

http://cals.arizona.edu/pubs/insects/az1223.pdf

WendyBird
04-20-2012, 09:42 PM
ick ick ick! They totally freak me out.

I've lived in AZ for 23 years and have only seen about 5 scorpions. I've always lived in developed areas except for when my dad built a house in an undeveloped area west of Phoenix about 8 years ago and they had a few in the first year, but not really since then. I lived there for about 2 years and saw one little one in the hallway at night. You can bet I shook out my shoes before putting them on after that, but I never thought about pants! ick.

It's definitely the little ones you have to watch out for, the venom is more concentrated than when they grow larger.

Sara, you'll be fine in Sun City, especially in the cooler months!

Jen, I'm so glad that your TX scorpions aren't as venomous and that your reaction to the stings wasn't too terrible. Stings here require a trip to Urgent Care...

carolat
04-20-2012, 10:29 PM
In San Antonio we don't have scorpions, but my BIL & SIL have lived in various small texas towns and they are usually dealing with scorpions. YUK!

photom
04-21-2012, 12:19 AM
Sara, you'll be fine in Sun City, especially in the cooler months!
Thank you SO much! I really was going to be freaking out like BIG time when I go back, but that does help me feel MUCH better!

brenian4ever
04-21-2012, 12:20 AM
Ewwwww! Ok I feel like something is crawling on me now...grossss!

photom
04-21-2012, 12:29 AM
Ewwwww! Ok I feel like something is crawling on me now...grossss!
Thanks.....now I feel like it too!

missdamsel
04-21-2012, 12:39 AM
You guys are so funny!! We lived in Central Texas for 13 years and never had one in my house, but in other areas of our same small town they did! It was crazy!!

Psychozoe
05-01-2012, 11:01 PM
Yesterday I spring-cleaned our back porch, and found and killed 3 black widows!

I feel violated! yuck!!!

Psychozoe
05-02-2012, 12:11 AM
LOL @ the 'dislike' Colleen

carolat
05-02-2012, 12:24 PM
My husband and son are going on a camping trip this weekend to McKinney falls - anyone know the scorpion forecast there? are there any?

nutsaboutgabe
05-02-2012, 12:43 PM
yuck Susie!! is that the first you have found any around your house?

Yesterday I spring-cleaned our back porch, and found and killed 3 black widows!

I feel violated! yuck!!!

Psychozoe
05-02-2012, 03:31 PM
My husband and son are going on a camping trip this weekend to McKinney falls - anyone know the scorpion forecast there? are there any?

Ooooo McKinney Falls looks FUN! I just googled it... sorry I don't know the scorpion forecast there. just have lots of fun!!

Psychozoe
05-02-2012, 03:33 PM
yuck Susie!! is that the first you have found any around your house?

Barb, no, unfortunately it's not the first time finding those ugly things. We've been in this house 6 years and found a few

PixelsByJen
05-02-2012, 09:14 PM
Officially at 100 scorpions today, oh and I just bought my own black light, going hunting tonight!!!

Psychozoe
05-02-2012, 09:39 PM
woohoooo! yeah! hunting time! if you think about it, Jen, take some pics showing us the glowing scorpions!!!

nutsaboutgabe
05-02-2012, 10:11 PM
100? Oh my Jen. Do you get any rest? Sounds like you are so busy every day dealing with the scorpions. That's about 2 a day since starting this thread.

Officially at 100 scorpions today, oh and I just bought my own black light, going hunting tonight!!!

Psychozoe
05-02-2012, 10:12 PM
Yes, that's a lot of scorpion activity. I think about you, Jen, everytime I shake my shoes out, or shake my towel out before using it, lol!

PixelsByJen
05-02-2012, 11:37 PM
Yeah well it is 101 now, and the scorpion stung Kyler this time! Yikes, now they have a score of 3. The kid is handling it really well though, he says it is numb now. And yeah, 2 a day is about right, we have gotten 2 so far today, I almost stepped on one by the garden hose in my flip flops today!

Susie, I'll see what kind of pics my camera takes :)

Psychozoe
05-02-2012, 11:43 PM
ya know, one would think that we would be so creeped out as to wear sneakers and protect ourselves at all times from these creepy critters, but I always run around in bare feet all summer long. (around the house and yard)

Psychozoe
05-02-2012, 11:52 PM
poor Kyler! that's scary, but also kinda cool. Another thing to brag about to his friends

:D

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x172/GM_Linwyn/Scorpion.gif

PixelsByJen
05-03-2012, 12:08 AM
HAHA Susie that scorpion is cute :)

I worry more about tennis shoes though, that I will forget to look inside them and one will be in there! I run around bare foot all the time too, LOL I have nearly stepped on a few that way though, so at night when I am walking around the house in the dark I try to at least have my flops on. I need to get some that have thick soles, high enough that the scorpions can't reach my toes

PixelsByJen
05-03-2012, 12:11 AM
Yeah, he called his grandma right away and talked to her about it for 15 min. He is working out his battle plan now :) I'm sure it will be the talk of the school tomorrow. He says it is just tickling now, so it is pretty numb, hope it doesn't get achy after the "tickle" goes away like mine did. He got stung on the knee too, so he says its a pattern to get stung on knees, LOL

prettyingreen
05-03-2012, 02:01 AM
uaghoudjlskfpajg ( heebeejeebees dance!)

Psychozoe
05-03-2012, 02:23 AM
LOL!

PixelsByJen
05-03-2012, 05:02 AM
For you Susie :) I have an album of 16 black light pictures on FB if you are friends with me too - Oh and now the count is 121:3
My facebook album is here for any who want to see https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3149169214372.2127468.1419343217&type=3
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/580645_3149171134420_1419343217_2386991_1782707283 _n.jpg

Psychozoe
05-03-2012, 05:03 AM
this is soooo coooool!

PixelsByJen
05-03-2012, 05:07 AM
The light works REALLY well! Found a small one at Lowes for $15 but it is perfect....needle nose pliers to grab them with and of course a jar....20 tonight!

Psychozoe
05-03-2012, 05:11 AM
duh I just pm'd you for your facebook link... lol you already have it there!

Tree City
05-03-2012, 05:17 AM
OMG, that pic is great... but it's also made me pee my pants a little. LOL!

Psychozoe
05-03-2012, 05:25 AM
ok, those are so neat! even the blurry ones where they are moving.. art gallery material!

PixelsByJen
05-03-2012, 05:27 AM
Or a really good scrapbook page, LOL who's got a good kit for neon?

Psychozoe
05-03-2012, 05:30 AM
We'll get Sara (photo m) to do the layout for us! She loves the creepy little thangs!

Just teasing Sara... please don't hate me! lol

nutsaboutgabe
05-03-2012, 11:53 AM
Poor kid!!

Yeah well it is 101 now, and the scorpion stung Kyler this time! Yikes, now they have a score of 3. The kid is handling it really well though, he says it is numb now. And yeah, 2 a day is about right, we have gotten 2 so far today, I almost stepped on one by the garden hose in my flip flops today!

Susie, I'll see what kind of pics my camera takes :)

nutsaboutgabe
05-03-2012, 11:56 AM
Creepy but intriguing!!

For you Susie :) I have an album of 16 black light pictures on FB if you are friends with me too - Oh and now the count is 121:3
My facebook album is here for any who want to see https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3149169214372.2127468.1419343217&type=3
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/580645_3149171134420_1419343217_2386991_1782707283 _n.jpg

photom
05-03-2012, 05:30 PM
We'll get Sara (photo m) to do the layout for us! She loves the creepy little thangs!

Just teasing Sara... please don't hate me! lol
YUCK! At least I know where to find a light to pack before going!

PixelsByJen
05-11-2012, 04:25 AM
180:3

MSPeeler
05-11-2012, 05:53 AM
It's going to be a LONG summer!!

Psychozoe
05-11-2012, 06:25 AM
180:3

oh my!

photom
05-14-2012, 11:22 PM
Does that mean another got you/ your family, or are you counting the first bugger as 2?????

nutsaboutgabe
05-15-2012, 01:09 AM
She counted the first one as 2.

Does that mean another got you/ your family, or are you counting the first bugger as 2?????

photom
05-15-2012, 01:27 AM
Still! YIKES! I just wasn't sure if they had another sting in the family. Glad to hear it wasn't!

PixelsByJen
05-20-2012, 03:59 AM
192:4 Kyler got stung again today, on the other knee. He was a big boy and said he got over that one way easier, LOL I think it is because of the clay I put on the sting to help draw out the venom. It did help that he had a friend over to distract him too!

nutsaboutgabe
05-20-2012, 08:53 PM
Clay helps? I am glad he got over that one quicker and hopefully that will be his last sting.

Colleen
05-21-2012, 03:24 AM
I agree with Barbara. :( Poor guy!

Psychozoe
05-21-2012, 04:38 AM
The joys of living in Texas (at least your part of Texas)

Texas should be its own country cuz when me and my hubby drove across Texas to Galveston, it took days! j/k... but it did seem like we were in Texas forever!

missdamsel
05-21-2012, 04:40 AM
No joking aside! We lived in central Texas and it was 5 hours to Orange (on the Lousianna border) and 8 hours to El Paso (New Mexico border).

Texas should be its own country cuz when me and my hubby drove across Texas to Galveston, it took days! j/k... but it did seem like we were in Texas forever!

PixelsByJen
05-21-2012, 03:10 PM

LOL most Texans think we are our own country any way....did you see the map Missie posted in FB the other day, pretty accurate for the Texas mentality. And if you did drive the whole way across texas I think it would take you a day, at least at the longest point, you could do the pan handle in an afternoon :)

I mapquested it, 14 hrs to drive the length of Texas, LOL

nutsaboutgabe
05-21-2012, 03:49 PM
14 hours! That's crazy when you could drive from Kentucky to Connecticut in 14 hours (which I've done). Connecticut is so small, you could drive across in in 2-3 hours!

LOL most Texans think we are our own country any way....did you see the map Missie posted in FB the other day, pretty accurate for the Texas mentality. And if you did drive the whole way across texas I think it would take you a day, at least at the longest point, you could do the pan handle in an afternoon :)

I mapquested it, 14 hrs to drive the length of Texas, LOL

photom
05-21-2012, 11:55 PM
Sorry about your little guy Jen. They are starting to grow on me, the cute little buggers! hehe

Psychozoe
05-21-2012, 11:56 PM
Sorry about your little guy Jen. They are starting to grow on me, the cute little buggers! hehe

the kids or the scorpions?

photom
05-22-2012, 12:37 AM
the kids or the scorpions?
I was talking about the bugs, it probably is just the fun purple lights. I KNOW that if I ever saw one, I would be MOVING OUT- with or without the husband! Jen, you are SO BRAVE!

jenltip
05-22-2012, 12:58 AM
Just read this post all the way thru, eeeeek. So glad scorpions is not something I deal with. I've seen 1 widow at the house and lots of spiders the size of my palm (terrified of spiders, they might eat me!) Hate creepy crawlies.
Hope no one else gets stung and good luck with the hunting.

Psychozoe
06-09-2012, 10:09 PM
Just happened across this video... kind of interesting, and if you want the heebie jeebies, too!

http://www.azcentral.com/video/#top#/News/Scorpion%20hunting%20in%20Mesa/40280768001/35150280001/1680903532001