PDA

View Full Version : Juice fast from Fat Sick and Nearly Dead

Jodi
03-20-2012, 01:37 PM
I am doing this.

http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com/

John, my husband, is going to do it for one meal a day for a while. I am doing it for all 3 meals for at least the 10 days. If it works like it's suppose to, I think I will continue with it.
We ordered a juicer yesterday and surprisingly it says it will be here today. That was with the free shipping! I had hoped it would take a little longer to get here lol so I could have more time to finish off some more food in the fridge but it's better to just jump right in.
The guy that does the video and another man he meets along his journey both have urticaria, which is what my husband was diagnosed with recently. That's the reason we watched the video. It cured both men of the urticaria and both men were overweight and they both came down to a normal weight by the end of their "fast". I am hoping it will bring my weight down and help me get rid of my sleep apnea. One of the men in the video had sleep apnea as well.

If you have Netflix you can put it into your Instant Queue and watch it from there. Or you can watch it online on Hulu here http://www.hulu.com/watch/289122/fat-sick-and-nearly-dead

dodgeladee
03-20-2012, 02:24 PM
Good luck!!! Let us know how it goes!

Neverland Scraps
03-20-2012, 02:44 PM
I just saw this and have a ton of questions . . . .
I have a juicer, my magic bullet juicer. Is there a specific diet to follow?

What do you do other than drink the shakes? You aren't eating anything but the shakes?

Ambelleina
03-20-2012, 02:55 PM
Hmm, same questions here. I like fruit/veggie juice. My blender was working overtime for a while, haha.

I know you only have the fruit/veggie juice for a spell. I'm wondering if it is a specific plan or you just go for whatever fresh fruits/veggies you want.

My mom is doing the alkaline diet and she keeps getting on my case about eating oranges. Oranges! I thought oranges were good for you, but apparently not, lol.

I do want to lose my relationship weight (40 lb in 3 years--YIKES), but I mostly want to clean my liver. It's a little fatty but I know the liver can heal itself with a better diet. This might work for me, even for just a couple of weeks. I feel the same way you do, I want to try it and if it works, do it for the whole 60 days!

Tell me more. :)

Neverland Scraps
03-20-2012, 04:13 PM
I just put the movie in our instant queue from netflix. I figured I'd have dh watch it with me when he got home from work tonight.

Jodi
03-20-2012, 04:20 PM
I was just going to suggest that if you ladies have Netflix to watch it. It's in the instant Queue section.
They call this a juice fast even though you aren't really fasting because you are still drinking your fruits and veggies, you ONLY do fruits and veggies in a juice, thus the "juice fast".
That's it, nothing else. No solids at all. Only fruits and veggies juiced for 10 days. 60 Days for the extreme.
My brother and his wife did this and when they were done my SIL got sick at the thought of meat so she is a vegetarian now.
When you are done with your 10 days or 30 days or 60 days you can then start eating solids again but it's suppose to be a reboot of your system so don't go back to eating bad foods, make healthy choices when you come off the juice diet. More fruits and veggies and less red meats. No fast food and processed foods and junk foods. Or at the very least, less of those things.
It's really a great movie and I do suggest it for those that want to try this diet.

Jodi
03-20-2012, 04:27 PM
Oh and I do not think you have to do any specific juice recipes but I did google some recipes. They also have a recipe page on their web site as well. I pinned it on Pinterest.

http://www.jointhereboot.com/index.php?lang=en

Here are some recipes

http://www.jointhereboot.com/index.php?option=com_zoo&view=frontpage&layout=frontpage&Itemid=594&lang=en

I also googled "Juicing recipes" and found a bunch online as well. In the movie the guy who made the movie is Australian, he came to the US to do his diet because he knew if he could do it in the US where his food weaknesses were, he could do it anywhere. He went to a few places that actually make the juices for you. So if you wanted to start that way you could. Just go to one of those all natural juice bars or whatever they are called and order from there till you are ready to juice your own.
The juicers on his web page are expensive. We found a good one for way less.
We bought this one http://www.buy.com/prod/hamilton-beach-67650-big-mouth-pro-juice-extractor/203891427.html Walmart also sells it but they are more expensive.

Jodi
03-20-2012, 04:32 PM
Also, I would suggest if you have any medical conditions (like a heart condition or diabetes) to consult with your doctor before starting this.

Ambelleina
03-20-2012, 04:44 PM
Tell us how that juicer works, I could spend that much on one for sure!

I think I could do this for 10 days. One time, I bought 10 lbs of ground beef because it was on sale and I thought I would buy a bunch and freeze it for the next couple of weeks.

That was back in August and I have bought ground beef maybe twice since then. The smell nauseated me and I felt sick for a while after eating all that red meat, now I only cook ground turkey and eat red meat sparingly; so I could see this juice fast helping me feel the same about more "bad stuff."

I wonder what the limit of juice you can drink a day is. I'm working on shrinking my stomach now by going from biscuit/sausage for breakfast down to warm lemon water and an orange and making other similar changes, but I still get hungry all the time. Can I drink more juice all day whenever I get hungry? I've read their website but I haven't seen that info yet.

Jodi
03-20-2012, 04:56 PM
Yes, you can drink as much as you want. The main thing to remember is that the fruits are meant for breakfast and the veggies for the rest of the day. If you drink fruits all day it will defeat the purpose as fruits are loaded with sugars.
Do you have Netflix?

Jodi
03-20-2012, 04:58 PM
Look what I found!

http://www.hulu.com/watch/289122/fat-sick-and-nearly-dead

I found it on Hulu! You don't need Netflix to watch it. I am going to edit my first post with this link as well.

photom
03-20-2012, 05:09 PM
I am in desperate need of a juice cleanse. I was thinking of doing the master cleanse again, since I know my liver is WAY out of whack since I've been breaking out really REALLY badly! I already bookmarked the recipes, and may just try this out! My mom just gave me her vitamixer, which is a fancy awesome powerful blender, so I may use that instead of my juicer, so it gives the pulp as well as the juice. Whole foods are way better than just juice. Plus, my budget won't allow me to waste that extra "bulk" with the juicing!

Jodi
03-20-2012, 05:18 PM
Well I think the point of juicing is that you get all the nutrients of the fruits and veggies but don't have to eat as much to get it. He showed how much you would have to eat just to get once juice and he said there was no way anyone could eat that much, they would get too full. And you have to do that at least 4 times a day. Getting the pulp out of the way makes more room.

photom
03-20-2012, 05:25 PM
I actually just read a book a few months back about getting the most nutrition for your body, and it's all fruits and veggies- cooked and raw. Once we get a steady income, I will definitely be switching us all to that diet. But I guess for a week or 2 it would be wise to detox your body with adding so much extra nutrients from the juice!

My husband disconnected the sound the other day, and as soon as I figure out where he put the sound cord, I will watch that hulu video! Thanks for posting it!

Jodi
03-20-2012, 06:06 PM
No problem! I hope others find it useful.
Our juicer was suppose to be here today but it hasn't come yet. It's ok though because we just ordered it and sent it for the longest shipping (free) so I was surprised when it said it would be here today lol.

Terra
03-20-2012, 08:41 PM
It sounds interesting. I can't wait to hear about your success Jodi!

Jodi
03-20-2012, 09:43 PM
Our juicer arrived! I didn't even pay more for expedited shipping. Will be starting tomorrow. It's huge!

Neverland Scraps
03-21-2012, 02:40 AM
We are finishing up the movie and I think I got my husband on board! He's in the Army and always looking for ways to lose weight and keep the weight off, so I think (hope) this works for him since he's such a horrible snacker!!

Thanks for telling us about this!

Please let us know how your fast goes! Take photos! Encourage us!! I hope to get my parents to bring my juicer back from their house this weekend and if that's the case, we should be starting on Monday! Yeah to weight loss and getting a healthy body in the process!

Jodi
03-21-2012, 01:56 PM
That's awesome Wendy! So glad you are excited about it! I "ate" my first juice breakfast this morning. It was YUMMY! Lunch won't be as great since the fruit is suppose to be just for breakfast lol. I did an apple, fresh pineapple, green grapes, strawberries, and 1/4 lime.
Lunch will be greens. DH went out last night and bought $45 worth of fruits and veggies for us. We are both doing it, although he is not juicing for lunch because he is at work but he is doing solid fruits and veggies at work in place of the juice.

Ambelleina
03-21-2012, 03:02 PM
Tell me what your lunch will be! I'm curious as to what you'll use and how it will taste. I've done a three day juice fast before and it was survivable; I did lose a couple of lbs, too! I'd love to do this one for a full 10 days and see my results. Right now I'm just having warm lemon water for breakfast; yours sounds much more yummy! hehe

Colleen
03-21-2012, 03:47 PM
Yes, I would like to hear about your lunch. I wish you much success with this, Jodi! :)

Neverland Scraps
03-21-2012, 03:49 PM
That's awesome Wendy! So glad you are excited about it! I "ate" my first juice breakfast this morning. It was YUMMY! Lunch won't be as great since the fruit is suppose to be just for breakfast lol. I did an apple, fresh pineapple, green grapes, strawberries, and 1/4 lime.
Lunch will be greens. DH went out last night and bought $45 worth of fruits and veggies for us. We are both doing it, although he is not juicing for lunch because he is at work but he is doing solid fruits and veggies at work in place of the juice.

I have friended them on facebook (https://www.facebook.com/#!/FatSickandNearlyDead?sk=app_201143516562748) to get more of an insight to this fast. And in their Q&A section this is said:
Q: Is there a ratio to fruits and veggies that you recommend for the reboot?
A: 80% veggies, 20% fruits

So you could technically do your fruits throughout the day, spread thin with each drink.

Look, even for the Mean Green Drink:
Q: What are the ingredients of Joe's "Mean Green" juice?
A: As noted on page 72 of the Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead companion book (http://shop.jointhereboot.com/product_p/fsnd-book-64780.htm), the Mean Green recipe is:
6 Leaves Kale
1 Cucumber
4 Stalks Celery
2 Green Apples
1/2 Lemon
1 Piece Ginger

He has fruits in there and he drank it throughout the day.

Where did you buy your fruits/veggies? Just at the local grocery store? I told DH I would google produce places in our area in hopes that things would be cheaper.

Jodi
03-21-2012, 04:57 PM
Awesome! Thanks.

Jodi
03-21-2012, 04:59 PM
Oh he just got them at Walmart. He was going to go to bottom dollar where they are cheaper but Walmart is closer. We also have a produce junction. I think most of our shopping will be done there.

Jodi
03-21-2012, 05:04 PM
I have everything to make the mean green except Kale, I have spinach. I will just use spinach instead of Kale.

Ambelleina
03-21-2012, 05:11 PM
Do they say anything about organic vs conventional? There seems to be a lot of fruits/veggies on the dirty dozen list (http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/summary/) that are in these juices (kale, spinach, apples, celery).

I have beginning fatty liver and I was told conventional fruits/veggies with pesticide residue on/in them exacerbates fatty liver so it's better/more healing to go organic, if just for the worst ones.

Neverland Scraps
03-21-2012, 05:26 PM
Do they say anything about organic vs conventional? There seems to be a lot of fruits/veggies on the dirty dozen list (http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/summary/) that are in these juices (kale, spinach, apples, celery).

I have beginning fatty liver and I was told conventional fruits/veggies with pesticide residue on/in them exacerbates fatty liver so it's better/more healing to go organic, if just for the worst ones.

in the movie it shows the average amount of a non-organic fast over the organic fast. On the Facebook page, it talks about what organic foods to avoid for bugs and what not.

I think it is up to you. DH and I looked at the price of organic vs grocery store and we figured since we are living in an expensive area we are going to go to the grocery store as it will cost roughly 500 dollars a month for food.

Jodi
03-21-2012, 06:05 PM
My DH had a fatty liver and it got better just by stopping fast food. We aren't necessarily doing organic but I wouldn't advise against is either.
I just had my lunch and couldn't drink the whole thing. Not sure if it was the ginger or the cucumber since I hate cucumber. I added some hand squeezed orange but it didn't help.
Oh and we did have Kale and not spinach.
I think for dinner I will do half cucumber and make up for it with extra celery and do 1 apple and 1 orange instead of 2 apples. I even peeled the cucumber since the skin is bitter. Maybe I should have left the skin on. Blah.

Ambelleina
03-21-2012, 06:12 PM
try an english cucumber, they're lighter in flavor than a regular one. i just one some last night from the regular grocery for 79 cents a piece.

yes, i got the fatty liver from my boyfriend, lol. i grew up in a "fast food 5 times a year" household. maybe less than 5, we never ever went out to eat or ordered in, my mom always cooked and we cooked for ourselves as needed.

my boyfriend grew up in a "fend for yourself" household and has lived off of taco bell and wendy's since he got his driver's license. so of course, he always wants to eat out, get fast food, order pizza, etc. 2 1/2 yrs into the relationship: i now have fatty liver. i went from overweight but healthy to fatty liver. so annoying, i've always been healthy! :(

maybe my veggie bill will be lower since the boyfriend refuses to diet with me--i'll just be buying for one!

oh jodi--how's the juicer working? i need to buy one after i get paid this week.

Jodi
03-21-2012, 06:22 PM
It's amazing! The clean up is pretty easy. I put a grocery bag into the container that collects the pulp for easy clean up. The biggest thing is being sure to rinse it after each use. The strainer is the hardest to clean and if you rinse it and run the brush over it (brush comes with it) it cleans up in a few seconds. DH used it this AM and didn't clean it and it took me a half hour to clean the strainer. I was not a happy camper lol.

Jodi
03-21-2012, 06:26 PM
Oh and I am the same as you. My family hardly ever ate out, we couldn't afford it. I grew up in a family of 8. DH grew up in a home of fend for yourself, microwave meals, and fast food after he got his license as well. Fast and easy is what he is used to. I gained alot of weight after we got married (started my weight gain in college, quit smoking after graduation and then got married a few months after that) and then gained more and more after each kid I had lol.
I have to break myself of convenient foods.

photom
03-21-2012, 07:07 PM
I know you have some recipes that you are using from the fast guy, but here are some recipes that you may be able to incorporate into your diet? I tried a few of them last night, but since I didn't have full sized carrots (just the bite sized ones) I think I over carroted them. http://www.vitamix.com/recipes/

sladd79054
03-21-2012, 07:07 PM
What is a fatty liver and how do you know you have one? I wish you the best of luck Jodi. I really need to do something to lose a ton of weight but I know I wouldn't be able to drink my veggies, I have a hard enough time eating them lol.

Jodi
03-21-2012, 07:30 PM
My DH found out he had a fatty liver from a blood test that the dr ran on him when he was breaking out in hives.

roseytoes9
03-21-2012, 07:32 PM
I did the juicing for a while but now i do it in addition to food not just by itself.. It did help but i was still left hungry, and it gets expensive juicing that much stuff lol its definitely a great tool to utilize though :)

Ambelleina
03-21-2012, 07:35 PM
What is a fatty liver and how do you know you have one?

fatty liver is when excess fat builds up on your liver, it basically happens from eating crappy food in general. i used to be fine, then i started eating fast food a lot with the boyfriend, now my liver is enlarged with fat.

i found out when i took my yearly physical, my blood work showed one of my liver enzymes was elevated. i went to have a sonogram done and it shows the liver as being bigger/fatty.

it's not life-threatening and my doctor's office tried to make it like it wasn't a big deal, but it CAN lead to other health issues and i don't like having things wrong with me. i've been overweight my entire life, but i've always been healthy, so i'm taking milkthistle and dandelion supplements and trying to eat as much fruits/veggies as i can to heal my liver back to normal!

jodi--i'm so glad i'm not alone! i lost a good 35/40 lbs and three dress sizes right before i met the boyfriend. within two years i had gained it all back. now that we live together, it's even harder since i'm the only one who cooks and he still wants to do taco bell and pizza hut. and i did also quit smoking last year. now i've got to get him to quit smoking AND fast food!

Jodi
03-21-2012, 07:55 PM
Quitting smoking made me gain weight. Quitting fast food helped me lose weight lol. So if he quits both it might even out. lol

mamaape
03-21-2012, 08:25 PM
Quitting smoking made me gain weight.

Truth. I gained 30# after quitting. Ridiculous.

Jill DZines
03-21-2012, 08:34 PM
I am watching this thread with interest! :) I am trying to lose weight, slowly-but-surely. Mostly by exercising every day, but I need to make some diet changes as well. Hubby has mentioned an interest in juicing but I'm not so sure... I'm kind of more into whole-foods, and just adding more fruits/vegies/whole-grains into our diets.

Jodi
03-21-2012, 10:31 PM
That is the idea of the juicing. You do the "cleanse" for 5-15 days and then eat better after you are done. You reboot your body first though. I need it because we are a processed, fast food family and we need to stop. We need to detox our bodies first though.
Dinner was better than lunch but still pretty bad. DH read that you can add stevia so I got a pack of truvia and it made it better enough that I could chug the rest.

roseytoes9
03-21-2012, 10:40 PM
what helped us was that my boyfriend ended up doing the gastric bypass surgery and do he cant have it anymore, my son and i completely went cold turkey and stopped eating it.. it was a big change in the beginning but now it's like we dont need it.. gavin would ask to go to mcdonalds or something and i would suggest a sandwich or something and he finally came around.. now when i ask him what he wants for lunch or dinner and were out, he says he wants a sandwich :) since changing our diet 100% and working out now, I have lost about 15 pounds since jan.. obviously don's lost more weight.. lol he's going on 60 pounds..

Jodi
03-21-2012, 10:48 PM
That's awesome! I know the hardest part is going to be getting my 5 year old on board. She is a McDonalds fanatic. She is the pickiest eater ever. I try to get her to try new things all the time, in fact it's one of her things on her chore chart that earns her points, but even if she does try something she usually spits it out and says how disgusting it is. Literally the only meat she will eat is McDonalds chicken nuggets. Not BK ones, or Chick Fillet, or Wendy's, it has to be McD's. She won't eat beef, fish, pork, turkey, or any other chicken. It's very frustrating.

photom
03-21-2012, 11:23 PM
Literally the only meat she will eat is McDonalds chicken nuggets. Not BK ones, or Chick Fillet, or Wendy's, it has to be McD's. She won't eat beef, fish, pork, turkey, or any other chicken. It's very frustrating.
I read from a book that when you child is truly hungry, they will eat the good foods. It's just that first week of them not eating that scares the parents! Everyone comments on how well my kids eat what is put in front of them. I greatly attest that to being poor and not having enough $$ to throw away. My kids (even at 2 & 3) learned that if they didn't eat dinner, or lunch, or snack, or whatever was in front of them then, Mom or Dad would not find them something else to eat- or if we did, most of the time it was even more unappetizing to them! My little 3 year old eats like a bird compared to what my other 2 ate when they were her age. She is a lot smaller, though, and it doesn't seem to hold her back at all. Good luck and hang in there.

Jodi
03-22-2012, 01:24 PM
Yeah we tried the, if you don't eat what we give you, you don't eat at all approach. She starves herself and throws up.
Rebekah weighs 3 lbs more than her little brother. She is 5 and he isn't even 2 yet. She has always been tiny, ever since I weaned her anyway. She was a fat baby when she nursed. She was born tiny too at 6lbs 14 oz. Isaiah was 8lbs.

Jodi
03-22-2012, 02:16 PM
Here is my update.
Day 1 - failure lol I cheated in the sense that I ate my veggies instead of juicing them before bed. I found that I wasn't drinking the entire glass when it was juiced so before bed I got out all the veggies that I would have put in the juice and I just put them in a bowl and ate them. It was very filling and made me feel better. I was tired and weak all day.
John found that you can do what they call an "express" diet where you only juice some of it and eat the rest raw. So I am doing the express because I can't drink all that juice. I can drink some but not all. So I am still staying away from everything except fruits and veggies, still juicing my fruits and then only juicing a little of the veggies and eating raw the rest. This is going to be a long 10 days.

Ambelleina
03-22-2012, 02:23 PM
Jodi, all you had was fruits and veggies--that's an accomplishment! :) That's all I had for breakfast and dinner yesterday and I was so tired and hungry by the time I got off work, I had a leftover chicken strip the minute I walked in the door. I'm already cheating on this diet and I haven't even started LOL. So let's just say you didn't cheat, you just changed to the express diet in the middle of the day! hehe

Jodi
03-22-2012, 02:30 PM
LOL thanks! That makes me feel better.

Jodi
03-22-2012, 02:31 PM
My husband didn't think I would have enough will power to stay off the goodies we have in the house. Yesterday I was making Rebekah her chocolate chip pancakes and I usually toss a small handful of chocolate chips in my mouth when I am making them, yesterday I did not. I was very proud of myself.

Ambelleina
03-22-2012, 02:33 PM
My husband didn't think I would have enough will power to stay off the goodies we have in the house. Yesterday I was making Rebekah her chocolate chip pancakes and I usually toss a small handful of chocolate chips in my mouth when I am making them, yesterday I did not. I was very proud of myself.

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: team jodi! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Jill DZines
03-22-2012, 04:54 PM
OK, now I watched the movie last night on Netflix - AMAZING!! I am SO inspired, I am halfway ready to order a juicer on Amazon! LOL! I have found several on there that are at a great price - one being an almost exact replica of the one he used in the film, but for only about $70 or so! (700 watt motor even!). Then I started looking at some of the juicing books, and found one (Kindle version) that is FREE today!

Also found another movie about same topic - someone posted a link to it on Joe's twitter page, movie online premiere is free for next 9 or 10 days:

http://www.hungryforchange.tv/online-premiere

Free Kindle book:
http://www.amazon.com/Comprehensive-Green-Juicing-Guide-ebook/dp/B006Z1GN2W/

some juicers on Amazon that look good:

www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-Mouth-Juice-Extractor/dp/B005YROHKS/ (http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-Mouth-Juice-Extractor/dp/B005YROHKS/)

www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-Mouth-Extractor-EA67650/dp/B002VL7RKM/ (http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-Mouth-Extractor-EA67650/dp/B002VL7RKM/)
(this is the same one Jodi bought! $65 with free shipping)

www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-Mouth-Juice-Extractor/dp/B002OF3FBK/ (http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-Mouth-Juice-Extractor/dp/B002OF3FBK/)

www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-Mouth-Extractor-67650/dp/B000FHQJ6C/ (http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-Mouth-Extractor-67650/dp/B000FHQJ6C/)

Now I have to look at that juicer you bought.... lol...

Harmonystar
03-22-2012, 05:16 PM
That's pretty nifty. I need to get a hold of a good juicer. When I was a kid my mom always made me carrot apple juice for breakfast and I still love it. I want to go back to having juice for breakfast (no juice fast for me, sorry ladies even if I weren't pregnant I'm not brave enough for that)
However 1 meal of fruit and veggie juice sounds good to me.

Question about the all veggie juice, how do you get it to not taste nasty? I can't stand V8. I usually mix the 2 to get something I like

Jodi
03-22-2012, 05:20 PM
The nasty part is hard. I have not found how to make it not taste nasty. That's my biggest stumbling block right now. I did find that combining fruits and veggies (which is in alot of recipes) cuts the taste of the veggies a bit, and adding a little ginger helps too.

photom
03-22-2012, 05:23 PM
Question about the all veggie juice, how do you get it to not taste nasty? I can't stand V8. I usually mix the 2 to get something I like
I used to HATE V8- only tomato juice for me. However, we were on a vacation and I was craving tomato juice, and all they had was V8. So my husband picked me up that- since it was tomato juice, right? Needless to say, I slowly sipped it, and the next time I tried tomato juice, I gagged! It was so weird! I hated drinking the V8 while I had it, but then I couldn't drink the other!

Harmonystar
03-22-2012, 05:25 PM
yeeeahh my problem is I don't like tomato juice. Love tomatoes, hate tomato juice. Doh. What if I mix in oreo cookies? Does that ruin the point ya think? ;)

Jodi
03-22-2012, 05:28 PM
That's awesome! Those are some great deals too. The last juicer is the one we got but where we got it from the price has gone up and you have to pay shipping on it now. We got it for $63 with free shipping.

OK, now I watched the movie last night on Netflix - AMAZING!! I am SO inspired, I am halfway ready to order a juicer on Amazon! LOL! I have found several on there that are at a great price - one being an almost exact replica of the one he used in the film, but for only about $70 or so! (700 watt motor even!). Then I started looking at some of the juicing books, and found one (Kindle version) that is FREE today!

Also found another movie about same topic - someone posted a link to it on Joe's twitter page, movie online premiere is free for next 9 or 10 days:

http://www.hungryforchange.tv/online-premiere

Free Kindle book:
http://www.amazon.com/Comprehensive-Green-Juicing-Guide-ebook/dp/B006Z1GN2W/

some juicers on Amazon that look good:

www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-Mouth-Juice-Extractor/dp/B005YROHKS/ (http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-Mouth-Juice-Extractor/dp/B005YROHKS/)

www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-Mouth-Extractor-EA67650/dp/B002VL7RKM/ (http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-Mouth-Extractor-EA67650/dp/B002VL7RKM/)
(this is the same one Jodi bought! $65 with free shipping)

www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-Mouth-Juice-Extractor/dp/B002OF3FBK/ (http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-Mouth-Juice-Extractor/dp/B002OF3FBK/)

www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-Mouth-Extractor-67650/dp/B000FHQJ6C/ (http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-Mouth-Extractor-67650/dp/B000FHQJ6C/)

Now I have to look at that juicer you bought.... lol...

roseytoes9
03-22-2012, 06:01 PM
when we did it, we didnt just go veggies to juice, we added some fruits to it as well so that the taste wasnt so strong of veggies :) add 2 apples or an orange and it will definitely help with the taste :)

Ambelleina
03-22-2012, 06:43 PM
If you want to make something sweeter so it's easier to get down, carrots are the way to do that. Carrot juice is way sweeter than even some fruits. Try throwing a couple of carrots in your veggie juice to see if it cuts it a little (and they're still veggies!).

Jill DZines
03-27-2012, 04:22 AM
OK, so my juicer is arriving TOMORROW!! :D I'm really pretty excited about it! I am not planning on doing a juice-only fast (at least not right away) but will be trying to replace a meal or two each day with juice, at least to start out, until I know I can find some great-tasting juices that I will happy drinking. I ended up ordering a bit more expensive juicer, that is supposed to work as well with softer fruits as with harder, from strawberries to pineapple with the rind on! This one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QBFFU8

My husband is happy about getting one, so he pitched in so I could get the better one. When I bought it last week, Amazon was actually out of stock - as was EVERYWHERE I looked! Even the Breville website said they were temporarily out of stock when I looked there! (How much y'all wanna bet that Joe - the FSND guy - invested in this company before releasing the film?? Bet he did!! LOL! That's what he does - he's an investor/businessman - a smart one! Not that I think that's why he did it, but it probably didn't hurt any, eh?) Anyway, I went ahead an ordered from Amazon, hoping it wouldn't be the middle of April, like other sites I checked, and it was just a couple days later they gave me a delivery date. What's funny is this - when I bought it, it was $199. Then I saw it was in stock again for part of one day, same price, then they went out of stock again. Then today they had them again, but were priced at $289!! Extra $90!! Now I just looked again, and it says "Temporarily out of stock" AGAIN, and the price is back to $199! Weird, huh?? They must be selling them like crazy!

ANYway.... I'm dying to know how it's going with this? Have you found some vegie juice combos that you like? I did order a book from Amazon too, a big one with lots of recipes and info, and I've got a couple coming to me from inter-library loan... I've started a new batch of sprouts, cuz I read in one book that sprouts are GREAT to add to any vegie juice (I love alfalfa sprouts, but one can only eat so many of those before starting to feel like a cud-chewing cow, KWIM? LOL) and I just picked up a few extra fruits and vegies today... can't wait to make my first juice! :)

I have to thank you, Jodi, for posting about that movie - I had not even heard of it, and it really was SO inspiring! I'm inspired to get back to a much healthier diet... including juicing. Not sure when I'll start the juice-only "re-boot" but am excited about it! :)

Jodi
03-27-2012, 05:30 AM
I am so happy that it inspired you! I tried the juice only and couldn't last more than 2 days so I started doing juice and food but food was only fruits and veggies. I lost about 5 lbs in 2 days. That was probably all water weight. Then day 5 I started feeling funny, light headed, dizzy, in a fog. Rebekah would say something and I couldn't hear or understand her. I started just doing the "uh huh" thing to her and she got excited and said "really? You will?!!" and I had to have her repeat herself. Aparantly she asked if I would go to the beach with her lol. My husband was concerned about me and made me a tuna wrap. So yeah I cheated. The good news is there is a 5 day fast and I made it to the end of day 5.
DH looked it up and said that when the toxins leave your body they cause damage on their way out. Boy did they ever! But I am happy to report that I no longer crave bad food. I crave fruits and healthy stuff now. I would prefer a tuna wrap over a burger and a banana over a cookie.

Ambelleina
03-27-2012, 06:01 PM
Ugh, I don't know if I can handle all that! I like to think I am a very hardy gal, I can withstand a good amount of pain and discomfort, but hunger is my Achilles's heel.

If I don't eat, the first wave of hungry will fade, then come back strongly and I quickly succumb to nausea, dizziness and dry heaving. For instance, Sunday I woke up at 11am, did laundry, went to visit my boyfriend's family and didn't have anything except two bottles of water; by the time we were on our way home at 4pm, I was nauseous and gagging, thinking I was going to pass out in the car.

I get so sick to my stomach after a while, when I finally do eat, I throw it back up.

I really want to try this, but I don't know if my stomach can handle only juice for so long. :/

(Ps-Yes, I would be gone the first week in the Hunger Games, lol.)

Jodi
03-27-2012, 06:05 PM
I was never hungry, I ate as much fruits and veggies as I wanted to (mostly veggies) so I was never hungry. I just think my body wasn't used to not having anything else. I hardly ever ate fruits and veggies till we started doing this. So on the up side, I eat way more fruits and veggies more. When I want something sweet I go for a banana or apple or dried cranberries and pomegranates (Very sweet by the way! Almost too sweet to handle lol).

Ambelleina
03-27-2012, 07:42 PM
Hmm, well I do eat fruit every single day and vegetables at least every other day (bad bad, should be every day, lol!), so maybe it won't be too bad.

I will have to eat the stuff at some point though, I don't know how I'd do on straight juice.

I haven't lost the craving for bad food since I changed the way I eat a while back, but when I do eat junk, it never fails to upset my stomach and make me sick. I'll spare you the details, but it's OBVIOUS that food is NOT good for our bodies, LOL! :D

Jodi
03-27-2012, 08:32 PM
Check out these plans. One is a long weekend reboot that is only 3 days. Then there are longer ones where you eat food too.

http://www.jointhereboot.com/index.php?option=com_zoo&view=item&layout=item&Itemid=689&lang=au

Neverland Scraps
03-27-2012, 10:21 PM

Yeah for you to resist!! That's some pretty impressive will-power!!

The nasty part is hard. I have not found how to make it not taste nasty. That's my biggest stumbling block right now. I did find that combining fruits and veggies (which is in alot of recipes) cuts the taste of the veggies a bit, and adding a little ginger helps too.

DH started his juice diet on Sunday (we found we couldn't afford it financially if we both juiced for the 10-days together) but I get to taste everything he's juiced (except for things that have pineapple and coconut) from what I can tell Ginger makes the drink!! I also found yesterday that I really like juiced mint leaves!

Today DH is on his third day and he's doing pretty well. Two nights ago, I woke up to him "chewing" on my arm. At first I thought it was the puppy, but when I looked, it was DH. In the morning he told me he was dreaming about food--no kidding huh?!

How is the fast coming along Jodi?
Where is your daily checkin? I love reading it, and I love showing DH what you are all talking, suggesting, etc!

photom
03-27-2012, 11:26 PM
Two nights ago, I woke up to him "chewing" on my arm. At first I thought it was the puppy, but when I looked, it was DH. In the morning he told me he was dreaming about food--no kidding huh?!
Holy cow! That is SO Funny! I think I needed this laugh to take me through the rest of the day! I bet you can't wait until you get to chew on his arm in the night?

Neverland Scraps
03-28-2012, 12:35 AM
Holy cow! That is SO Funny! I think I needed this laugh to take me through the rest of the day! I bet you can't wait until you get to chew on his arm in the night?
No I do enough crazy things during the night, I dont need DH to hang this one over me until the grave!
This is my one thing I can joke with him until we are old and gray!!

Neverland Scraps
03-28-2012, 10:18 PM
wow no new posts?! I thought for sure there would be a lot more in here!

I've come to report on DH. He's been doing the juice fast since Sunday and he's lost a total of 7.5lbs. He's super excited about the amount he's lost and wants to continue past the original 10-days. At first he was really upset about weighing himself today, thinking he'd only lost a pound or two. But I commented about how his face is thinning out and he decided to weigh himself. He did tell me that he was secretly hoping he hadn't lost any weight so he could stop his diet and eat normally! I am glad he's doing so well with his fast!

His attitude has been moody since he started this diet. But also, since he started this diet, he's jumped in full time with his classes for his MDiv as well as getting settled in his new job. I think its a combination of the latter two as to why he's moody. He doesn't like any talk of food. The girls were trying to help me decide what to make for dinner tonight and he had fit running in to the living room. He is refusing to go in to the kitchen other than to juice his meals, which is hard for him since he was a horrible snacker!

Overall if nothing comes out of this, I think he'll have a new found respect of food and amounts. Originally he was drinking 16-20 oz of juice per meal. But now he's down to about 8oz a meal since he says its so filling. He misses the chewing aspect as he's doing a total juice fast, no eating fruit or the such.

That's what he's doing . . .what about you Jodi? How is it going?

photom
03-29-2012, 07:21 PM
Thanks for his update! Although he loves his juice fast, it can go too far. I for one have done it like that, too! I completed 24 days on a master cleanse, but the final 2 days was not fun. Honestly, I think I lost 14 # the first 2 weeks, after that I might have lost 2 more pounds. Keep us posted!

Jodi
03-31-2012, 02:28 PM
Sorry I haven't replied in a while. I actually got an ulcer in my intestines and the dr put me on a bland diet so I had to stop this diet. Too much citrus I guess. I have 2 posts to catch up on but wanted to update you.
Tell your hubby that my hubby lost over 29 lbs in a month and he was eating and juicing. Keep up the food work!!
My BFF and her hubby want to start doing it too. We offered for them to borrow our juicer but I think they want to buy their own. When I am feeling better I will read more.

Neverland Scraps
03-31-2012, 04:16 PM
Oh no Jodi, that's horrible!! I am so sorry that you go sick from this fast!! I'll pray that you heal quickly and can back to your normal activities!!

DH just weighed himself and he's lost 11 pounds. He is now doing 50/50 juice fast and eating healthy.

Jodi
03-31-2012, 08:33 PM
We aren't exactly sure what it is but it MIGHT be an ulcer or it might be an intestinal parasite. Still waiting on test results. I thought it might have been not washing the fruits and veggies good enough and getting sick from pesticides. I see the dr again on Monday.

Jill DZines
04-02-2012, 05:40 AM
Awww, Jodi, I'm sorry you've been sick. :( I do hope you're feeling better very soon!!

I'm not doing the juice-fast (yet)... just adding juicing into our diet (the hubster and me), because it means we can actually get the micronutrients from multiple fruit and vegie servings, which is AWESOME! The fruit juices I've made have been GREAT, and the kids like those too. Mostly citrus (orange, lemon) and apple, pineapple, grapes, strawberries... the first juice I made had all of that in it except the grapes, and it was SOoo yummy - my daughter and I both thought right away it tasted like an Orange Julius.

The vegie juices.... not quite as well-loved... LOL! As in... Day #1 I made Joe's "Mean Green Juice" - hubby and I both DIS-liked it - intensely! But we did both choke it down, because we decided we wanted the nutrients and not to waste all the expensive produce... The first batch of vegie-juice I made (Joe's mean-green juice) included: 1/2 large cucumber, 3 stalks of celery, 1/2 lemon, 1 granny-smith apple, 1 handful of kale (about 3 medium-sized very curly leaves), handful of dark-green lettuce (about 4-5 medium-to-large leaves), and about an inch of fresh ginger. This made about 24 ounces of juice, so I had enough to save for the next day.

I figured out a good way to save the juice so that it stays "alive" and doesn't oxidize (you lose nutrients the more it comes in contact with oxygen, even in a jar): I poured the extra juice into a freezer-bag (zip-lock) and squeezed out EVERY bit of air out of the bag, then zipped it up, put that inside a container and put in fridge. NO air = no oxidation - so I can make enough juice for 2 days instead of having to do both kinds (fruit and vegie) every single day! (yay for easy!) haha!

SO, the 2nd day I went to drink the rest of my mean-green juice, even though I think it was pretty nasty, I thought it was tolerable, so I forced myself to finish off my 8 oz.... then promptly ran to the bathroom and tossed my "cookies" :sick Bwahahaha! I'm such a wuss! After that I didn't even ask Paul if he wanted his 2nd glass of mean-green juice... I dumped it out. So much for THAT recipe! lol!

The next day, I made carrot-and-apple juice in place of a veggie-juice (well, it was half vegie) and that was actually pretty good! Both Paul and I liked that. Will make that again. I used 1 apple and 8 medium carrots, and we got almost 20 ounces of juice out of that, so we had extra again, and saved it for the next day, in freezer-bag with air squeezed out. Nice. Cleaning the juicer is a PITA! Not horrible, but definitely adds to my kitchen time!

Today I made a vegie concoction that was SUPPOSED to taste like V-8. It did NOT. But it wasn't too bad - I think it might grow on us. It had one beet in it (along with tomatoes, spinach, carrots, parsley, 1/2 lemon, 1/2 large cucumber, celery, a little kale and a little lettuce (VERY little lettuce - only had a few little leaves left.... I think that's all). It tasted very beet-y. My one beat must have been bigger than the one in the recipe, because that was ALMOSt all we could taste - well, that and the carrots, and just a hint of tomato (I put 3 medium-large GORGEOUS tomatoes in there!). We each drank our 8 oz, and I saved the rest - definitely enough for both of us for tomorrow. But tomorrow I'm going to add more tomatoes and maybe some garlic and/or ginger. Needs a little more zip! But it's not too bad, and I think I can tweak it until we really like it. I've got at least a dozen quarts of good frozen garden tomatoes left, and can use those as a base for this juice, until I run out of frozen tomatoes - good way to use them up. Not fresh, but still much better than canned. Frozen is as close as you can get to fresh without actually being brand-new-spankin-fresh. From what I've read, I'm expecting us to notice a lot of red in our... toilet... haha! in the next day or 2, from the beet. THAT should be a fun treat! LOL!

SO, I am REALLY glad I didn't decide to jump into the juice-fast thing right away - I want to come up with several kinds of vegie juice that we really truly LIKE before I'm ready to try that. So using the juice to supplement and replace a meal here-and-there for now, and that is going well. I've actually lost a couple pounds without doing much else different. Well, except for quitting drinking diet cola and cutting back a bit on ice-cream, my favorite food in the world! hehe But between the juice and regular meals, and adding a hand-full of almonds to my daily diet, I'm not craving the ice-cream quite as much anyway, which is nice. I'm truly addicted. :shh

SO that's my juicing-journal for the first few days with the juicer. I know that we will learn to like the vegie juices more, the more we drink them. As least I hope that's the case! :) But I will find some good recipes and tweak them until we love them. Or die trying. :okey:

GodBlessAmerica
04-02-2012, 07:39 AM
Jodi, our Chiropractor told us about this last week. He is doing also.

Jill DZines
04-02-2012, 07:54 AM
Jan!!! I haven't seen you in... FOREVER!! How are you doing??

Jodi
04-02-2012, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the update Jill! So glad you are finding some recipes that you like and some that you can tolerate lol.
Jan, that's great that your chiropractor is doing it as well.

Jill DZines
04-02-2012, 11:09 PM
I have exciting news! The "tweaks" I did today on our mostly-beet-flavored juice worked and it tasted GOOD! Still not quite like V8, and I imagine it will be almost impossible to match that, since ours isn't cooked/processed, and I don't want to add salt (there is quite a bit of salt in V8). The juice already has celery in it, which is kind of high in natural sodium, so we don't want more of that. SO, here's what I did - thawed and removed skins from about 5 medium-sized tomatoes (the skins slip right off once they've been frozen) and put them in the blender, along with about a teaspoon of minced garlic, 1/4th cup of chopped white onion, 1/2 tsp. of fresh ground ginger, and a "pinch" or a couple of shakes of cayenne pepper. Blended smooth, then mixed with yesterday's juice (tomatoes, beets, carrots, parsley, spinach, celery, kale, lettuce) and...

Voile! Low-salt "Not-quite-V8 juice" :clap: I drank it right down because it actually tasted GOOD. Hubster did same, and... drum-roll please.... said, "I could drink this every day!" :36_1_33: (I do NOT plan on making/serving this one every day - but at least I've got one really good recipe that we both truly like the flavor of. And is super-healthy - especially with the spinach and kale! I never did put the beet-tops in this batch, but supposedly you can/do, and it adds even more micronutrients. I was more concerned with flavor on this batch, cuz I couldn't stand to make another flop like mean-green juice was (for us, anyway). :)

I sure hope you heal up quickly and feel better, Jodi. That has to be miserable. Please update after you see your doc again.

Neverland Scraps
04-03-2012, 12:35 AM
Oh Jill!! I am going to have to tell hubbers about this one because that's what we've been struggling with--the veggies!! We tried the mean green juice and gag it was nasty!! So very nasty!! I am sure though that my husband will be quite happy to try yours out, especially since you said it was tolerable and somewhat like a v-8 drink, which he loves!!

Jill DZines
04-03-2012, 01:57 AM
Yeah, I hoped (and thought) maybe I could get used to the mean-green juice, but GAG!! LOL!

photom
04-03-2012, 10:19 PM
Nice to know about the mean green juice. I am not quite ready to do this as a cleanse, but am hoping to get to it soon. JODI! You poor thing! Let us know what the doc says. I hope you get feeling better soon!

Jodi
04-05-2012, 02:06 PM
I haven't been on the computer in a couple days. Dr thinks it's an infection in my intestines and has put me on Cipro which has been kicking my butt. I will catch up on these posts when I am feeling better. I am glad you all are doing so well on this fast though.

Jodi
04-06-2012, 02:34 PM
Feeling a bit better today, I am actually at the computer which is a first in a few days.
I hated the mean green one too, really had to choke it down. I don't know how Joe drank it all the time.
Sadly I have gained 5 lbs since the Dr. put me on this stupid bland diet since it's almost all starches except for applesauce.
Easter weekend and then Monday is Isaiah's birthday so a full busy weekend ahead and I am not 100% yet.
I hope everyone enjoys their Easter weekend!

photom
04-06-2012, 03:56 PM
You get better! Don't overdo it! I wonder if that green one is an acquired taste- like don't start with this one type drink???? Most people who start out this kind of diet aren't used to getting veggies in their diet, so although it's super healthy, I wonder why something that would taste so awful would be the first to go to?????

carladee
04-07-2012, 05:26 PM
The video can only be seen in the United states it says:(

Hildur
04-08-2012, 12:32 AM
Hubby and I tried the juices last fall and do it once in a while now for few days at a time. I found that I felt a lot better after the juices as they tend to clean out all the gunk in the system. We always start the day with a fruit juice and that keeps me going till around 11 am. I love them, the day isn't the same if I don't get my juice! Ohh i was so nervous about the Mean Green one as it looks horrible but actually foudn that the taste wasn't as bad as I thought. if you are not liking the taste try to reduce the cellery a bit or add a little bit more lemon. We often put a whole lemen instead of a half.

Jodi
04-10-2012, 04:14 PM
I'm sorry you aren't able to view it. What country are you from? There is a web page for Australia and I believe you can also view it from Canada.

The video can only be seen in the United states it says:(

photom
05-23-2012, 05:23 AM
JODI- Thanks SO much for this link! I finally found some earplugs to watch this video and actually the Dr. that first helped him through- Dr. Fuhrman- is the Dr. who I've been reading his books. I think I'm just about ready for the 10 day cleanse. EVEN if it's really disgusting tasting- I don't care! It's worth the health benefits!

kl.winters
05-23-2012, 01:59 PM
And I thought giving up carbs was hard! But that was nothing compared to this. You girls are brave!

kelley
05-23-2012, 04:46 PM
And I thought giving up carbs was hard! But that was nothing compared to this. You girls are brave!

agreed! I'm doing no carbs (well, very little - I cheat once in a while to maintain my sanity!). I do love veggies, but only juice? It sounds amazing, and I could probably do the 10 day, but I don't have a juicer. I mostly just eat veggies as it is now.

photom
05-24-2012, 01:46 AM
I just wanted to post that I went to the store today and picked up enough stuff for 4 days of the mean green juice. I had it a few hours back, and...... I LOVED IT! It was SO yummy! I had mad a plan to do like the brother did and only do the mean green in the mornings for a month, and then go from there. However, it was much more palatable then was mentioned here, so it makes it a little more difficult to want to cleanse slowly! We also did the apple carrot ginger juice, and even my littlest liked it! I am SO EXCITED! I'll try and let you know how it goes. We will be going to a family reunion the end of June, so I don't want to cleanse just to screw it up on vacation. So, I guess I'll just stick with the month of juicing in the mornings, and then when we come back, emerge in the classic roadmap. (The 5-5-5 plan- where you eat and juice for 5 days, then only juice for 5, then 5 more of eating and juicing.) Then a month of "good" eating before fully going the 10 day plan. It will be easier to do the full 10 days later in the fall when all the crops are on sale at the farmer's markets, anyways!

ajoyfulheart
05-25-2012, 04:49 PM
Exactly! :) I was going to reply to say that when I was on the South Beach Diet they were against juicing for some people mainly because of the high sugar content and lower amount of fiber. I think they said to be sure to have a lot of pulp in your juice so you could get extra fiber, minerals, etc. ;)

I hope this works well for you, Jodi! :)

Kelley, I think that eating the veggies is better for you than drinking them, if you are able to...I know drinking them is SO much easier than eating them, sometimes! lol...the plus side to eating them is that you are getting so much more of the natural roughage plus it takes longer for you to digest so you feel fuller longer ;)

Also, I would suggest if you have any medical conditions (like a heart condition or diabetes) to consult with your doctor before starting this.

Jodi
05-25-2012, 05:10 PM
My BFF's husband is doing the 10 day. He hates it but he has super bad psoriasis and it's actually effecting his joints so he's desperate since the doctors can't seem to help him. They are also trying for a second baby and think this might help in some way since the doctors told him that his condition is effecting that.
Anyway, he likes to juice the stuff and then blend some things instead of juicing them and then combine them so he has a little texture. He says it's better that way.

ajoyfulheart
05-26-2012, 12:58 AM
Oh wow...I didn't know that psoriasis could affect your joints!! That is so sad :( I hope it ends up helping him in some way! Poor guy :(

Jill DZines
06-02-2012, 12:01 AM
Jodi, are you still doing any of the juicing? I still haven't done the 10-day thing - not even the 3-day thing, but I do make juice at least once every single day.

Oh how I WISH I loved the mean-green-juice!! (I do NOT! haha!) But I did come up with a juice that both my husband and I really, truly LOVE, and we drink it almost every day. It is a combination of fruits with some spinach, lettuce, and occasionally parsley thrown in. Here's the basic ingredients for the juice hubby and I drink every day when he gets home from work:

2 apples (I have tried several different varieties - our favs are Braeburn, Pink Lady, and Harold-red (the same kind we grow on our apple-tree)
2 oranges (or 1 orange, 1 tangerine, or 1 orange and 1 mandarin orange, OR 1 orange and 1 grapefruit)
4 large Vidalia carrots (you can use regular carrots as well, but the Vidalias are extra yummy and sweet
large handful of fresh spinach, wrapped tightly inside a couple of large lettuce leaves - when you bundle them all together and roll them up tightly, you get more juice out of them - I also put the parsley in here if I'm using it)
small handful of parsley (if I have fresh on hand, which I try to most of the time - it really adds a nice bit of extra flavor)
1/2 large or 1 whole small lemon... or 1 whole large lemon if I add a lot of spinach

This is the basic, every-day base. If I have other fruits on hand - kiwis, strawberries, grapes, pineapple, I throw in some of that too, and sometimes will skip one of the apples or oranges if I add a lot of other fruit. Also, sometimes we will use fresh alfalfa in place of spinach - we have some friends who grow organic alfalfa and it is supposed to be SUPER healthy, and it tastes good in this juice, as long as you add enough lemon.

When I first made this, I didn't use lemon, and it was "OK" Then I started adding a fresh lemon and WOW - we LOVE it!! It is SO amazingly yummy - you really can't even tell (except for the color) that there is ANYthing green in it! I love to use a whole lemon, hubby prefers half. I love when it all just tastes very much like lemonade!

The other thing that makes is extra good is pouring it into tall glasses with LOTS of ice, so it gets really cold - this just makes it extra delicious and it is actually a TREAT!

This ends up giving hubby and I each 2 servings of fruit and 2 veggies, all in one yummy glass!

Jodi
06-02-2012, 07:58 PM
Jill, We haven't juiced since I had that infection in my colon, but I do plan on juicing again in the future.
That recipe sounds great. I will have to put it in with my other juicing recipes.

Jill DZines
06-03-2012, 02:26 AM
I think about you almost every time I make juice! Since you got that infection, I've always wondered if maybe any of the produce had just a little bacteria on it, or the juicer - it wouldn't take much at all, really, because with that fresh, raw juice, it is absorbed so quickly into our intestines, that it's possible that our stomach acids don't even have enough time to kill bacteria before it enters our intestines... that was my first thought anyway. I know that with fresh, raw juice like that, we do absorb it very, very quickly - much more so than any juice from concentrate, pasteurized juices, etc. Raw is the state that our bodies are designed for (in produce, anyway - I'm definitely not advocating eating raw meat or eggs, etc.) and is the most easily digested and absorbed - and by far the healthiest.

So, ever since that happened to you, I am extremely meticulous about cleaning both the produce and the juicer, every single time. I know some people say you can just clean it under hot water (well, except for the screen, which MUST be scrubbed with the brush - hot water alone would never get it clean for me!). I wash produce in regular anti-bacterial dish-soap and rinse well, and when I'm ready to start juicing, I fill the sink with hot soapy water so that the juicer parts can go right in there as soon as I'm done. We drink our juice and then I spend at least 10 minutes cleaning the whole thing, because I just can't help but thinking your infection may have been related to it, and we can't afford to have that happen to either of us! (Besides, it sounded so painful and miserable!) Maybe I'm over-cautious now, but I am SOOOoo picky about the produce I use for juicing - any greens must be perfect, without bruising, tearing, or looking like they may be "almost" ready to start deteriorating... and some of those greens can deteriorate so fast - especially spinach! I did discover that a certain brand of pre-bagged spinach at one of our grocery stores keeps extremely well, and there is VERY little deterioration in comparison to when I buy the bundled fresh spinach that is not bagged - the stuff I'm talking about is pre-washed (I still wash it again, along with the other stuff), but all of the leaves are loose in the sealed bag, rather than being a bundle wrapped with a rubber or metal band. The bagged/sealed spinach lasts SO much longer and has very little waste, so even though it costs about 50 cents to a dollar more than the other - depending on if it's on sale or not - it is definitely worth it!

I hope you get the courage to try it again - it is SOOo good for you! Definitely takes some extra work every day, but I figure that since we're each getting the vitamins/nutrients of 2 fruits and 2 veggies from our (large) glass of juice each day, I don't have to serve so many veggies with supper! :D Definitely try adding either a half-lemon or a whole one - I really think that makes EVERY one of the juices I've made taste much better - so yummy!

Jodi
06-04-2012, 01:14 PM
Yeah I only rinsed the juicer with hot water. I ran in through the dish washer the first time and the last time before I put it away.
I did find this http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/clean-and-healthy-produce-spray fruit and veggie wash from Dr. Oz that I thought I would pass on. I might have already posted about it in an earlier post but I forget and don't want to go back through and read again lol.
I didn't use it and that's probably why I got the infection. Next time I will be sure to use the spray and wash the juicer parts better.

photom
06-06-2012, 11:51 PM
So, did anyone have any problem with elimination while doing this? I had been doing the mean green (I have been peeling the lemon so it didn't taste too "pithy"), but I had bought beets, so I figured I'd try them as well. The next day, I was peeing red. I've stepped back from doing the juicing, and have been trying to do more acidic things to get moving. I just was wondering if he suggested to do anything to help that out, or what. I was really worried about a blockage, but I've had a movement yesterday and today now. It really was playing with my mind, if you know what I mean.

Jodi
06-11-2012, 02:57 PM
Yeah peeing red or pink is a beet thing. I had the opposite problem with the juicing diet as far as #2 went lol. It got better after the first 2 days though and I got back to normal.

photom
06-12-2012, 02:53 AM
Yeah peeing red or pink is a beet thing. I had the opposite problem with the juicing diet as far as #2 went lol. It got better after the first 2 days though and I got back to normal.

I've heard of having red poop, but never red pee! I just wish that I had the same experience, because I really felt great after the first 2 days. I was on an energy high that I haven't had in years! (Probably because of the extra nutrition.) I was able to survive on 5 hours of sleep plus a 1.5 hour nap. Which knowing me, is a BIG deal! A few years ago I made myself start waking up after 8-9 hours of sleep. Before that, it was 11-13 hours/ night!