PDA

View Full Version : Digi isn't "real" scrapbooking!

christinap
03-09-2012, 09:20 PM
that just burns me up! LOL

Scrapbook Etc posted a layout on their FB page (https://www.facebook.com/scrapbooksetcmagazine) and asked if it was digi or traditional. One lady said " digital (not a lover of digi....I dont think its true scrapbooking just pick a pic and click a mouse)" and another said "I agree Vicky. It's not very creative when the computer is doing it all for you LOL"

seriously??? My computer hinders my scrapbooking when it crashes before I save a layout!!!

Ambelleina
03-09-2012, 09:32 PM
Whaaaaaat?! Thems' fightin' words!

I have a friend heavy into traditional scrapping and she said she doesn't like digi because it's 'cheating.'

Seriously, learning Photoshop/other graphics programs is a skill--there are COLLEGE COURSES on graphics programs AND digi scrapping!

Just because I'm not using paper and scissors doesn't mean I'm not meticulously counting pixels, undoing and redoing, changing things, etc.

I think it takes longer on a digi scrap because you undo, redo, change, flip, rotate, change masks, change filters, actions, etc.

So much room for perfectionism and I want every pixel to count!

Rawr! Now I'm all fired up! :vprotest::soapbox::vprotest:

StarWarsFans
03-09-2012, 09:33 PM
I understand. That word "real" chaps my hide. My friends who paper scrap don't think I do "real" scrapping and I hear (from society) that I am not a "real" mother since my kids are adopted. But "real" simply means it exists and is not imaginary. My scrapbook pages exist and so do I, so it's all "real" as far as I'm concerned! Sheesh.

JulieEnriquezDesigns
03-09-2012, 09:42 PM
I have die-hard traditional scrappers for friends. The weekend crop, where they drag half their house with them, tell me the same thing all the time. I simply tell them I'm dong graphic design. It takes much ore creativity to do what we do, then to cut pieces of paper, or BUY a flower and put glue on it and put that on a page. Let's not forget the learning curve involved in digital scrapping.

charmedeebob
03-09-2012, 09:57 PM
I hear that argument a lot. It doesn't really hurt my feelings personally, because I just kind of feel like they don't understand it, kwim? I wish people could just celebrate each other's versions of this art form and appreciate it for what it is - a beautiful way to keep memories :) I think its awesome that digi has evolved.....many more people are able to participate in memory keeping now because they are technically savvy, but not paper and glue savvy :)

christinap
03-09-2012, 10:06 PM
Tricia that's awful that they say you aren't a "real" mother because your kids are adopted! I think people who adopt are amazing.

prettyingreen
03-09-2012, 10:11 PM
maybe those women are thinking about the easy programs where you do just pick a pic and click, unlike all of the beautiful layouts we make around here, with all the clustering and extractions

and yes i agree that is just poop that you are not real tricia! grrr!

missdamsel
03-09-2012, 10:34 PM
Here is my response: Digital scrapping when done right is next to impossible to distinquish from tradition scrapbooking in a photo. With proper placement of elements and shadows it can be intense. I can digitally scrapbook on vacation and actually anywhere I choose to. Also with digital scrapbooking you can cluster elements much better than in traditional scrapbooking. I also enjoy viewing my digital layouts on my digital picture frame in my living room everyday, where my traditional scrapbooks sit on a shelf untouched. Want to learn more about digoital scrapbooking? Shoot me a message, but please do not bash what you do not understand!!

MamaCake
03-09-2012, 11:02 PM
My first thought on this is they just don't know. I mean, I had no clue how much involvement it was when I started. People who think it's easy think all we do are quick pages. It's like voted when you're uneducated - people should just not give their opinions if they don't know enough about it. Therefore - I forgive them :)

jenevang
03-10-2012, 12:20 AM
My son (10) was watching me scrap one day and said... "wow, mom, it's like you are a computer artist". Music to my ears :).

And when I went "digi" it was easier and harder... the technical parts were harder (cuz really I learned how to cut and paste in Kgarten, LOL), but the access was easier. I'll never go back, but appreciate artists of all genres, even our sisters of paper ;).

Sarah
03-10-2012, 12:52 AM
Digiscrap is real. Real memories are being scrapped!

christinap
03-10-2012, 01:03 AM
Great discussion ladies!

Tree City
03-10-2012, 01:17 AM
WHY did S. Etc ask this question? I mean, aren't they just asking for this kind of Mean Girl scrapping talk?!

christinap
03-10-2012, 01:45 AM
and now they are complaining there is no journaling or title.

Ambelleina
03-10-2012, 02:38 AM
I understand. That word "real" chaps my hide. My friends who paper scrap don't think I do "real" scrapping and I hear (from society) that I am not a "real" mother since my kids are adopted. But "real" simply means it exists and is not imaginary. My scrapbook pages exist and so do I, so it's all "real" as far as I'm concerned! Sheesh.

That's ridiculous. Being a mother does not mean giving birth. A lot of women give birth but are never really mothers to the child that came out of them. A mother is the woman who raises you, cares for you and helps shape the person a child is, whether she contributed genetic material to the child or not. Same thing with men; just because you created life doesn't mean you are a father, just because you didn't doesn't mean you aren't. I can attest to that 110%.

There's a very strong possibility I won't be able to have children of my own and if I can't, I WILL adopt and I'll be damned if anyone tells me I'm not a real mother!

Ambelleina
03-10-2012, 02:41 AM
Ps-We digi scrappers are being GREEN! Can't say traditional scrapping is exactly eco-friendly! ;)

"Oh, you digitally scrap? You're not a real scrapper."
"At least I'm not killing trees."

BOO YAH! http://forums.gingerscraps.net/images/smilies/smiley-vault-signs-131.gif

conniep
03-10-2012, 03:05 AM
My son (10) was watching me scrap one day and said... "wow, mom, it's like you are a computer artist". Music to my ears :)

BEST quote evah!! lol

conniep
03-10-2012, 03:06 AM
They are just jealous! lol

MichaelsMomJo
03-10-2012, 01:11 PM
I have a couple of friends who are paper scrappers, pack up the house and go for a weekend crop types. They "tolerate" what I do, although I have to say they get pretty chapped when we get together on a Saturday and they make 5 trips to the closet or their car depending on whose house we're at, and I walk in with a laptop case that has my laptop, a mouse, my portable EHD, and sometimes my Wacom tablet! So I really think that they're a bit jealous and justify all the $ they spend and the hundreds of pounds of stuff they schlep around by arguing that it's "real" scrapbooking. Fine by me... my back's happier, and so is my bank account!

Sarah
03-10-2012, 01:14 PM
They don't take into account the wear and tear on a counter, the cost of programs, or the risk of a computer crash.

JulieEnriquezDesigns
03-10-2012, 01:41 PM
I have a couple of friends who are paper scrappers, pack up the house and go for a weekend crop types. They "tolerate" what I do, although I have to say they get pretty chapped when we get together on a Saturday and they make 5 trips to the closet or their car depending on whose house we're at, and I walk in with a laptop case that has my laptop, a mouse, my portable EHD, and sometimes my Wacom tablet! So I really think that they're a bit jealous and justify all the $ they spend and the hundreds of pounds of stuff they schlep around by arguing that it's "real" scrapbooking. Fine by me... my back's happier, and so is my bank account!

I stopped going to the weekend crops with my friends. First off it cost me a fortune to sit there with my laptop, when I can do that at home. And then everyone would stare at me, or come over to make comments like..."But I like to touch my stuff."..or "It doesn't look real" etc. I laugh though at the beginning of the weekend, when they spend 2 hours setting up, I've already scrapped 2 pages. Or when it's time to leave and I take my own car, so I can go without waiting another 2 hours for them to pack there crap up.

ShabbyAbby
03-10-2012, 01:43 PM
That's crazy talk and obviously from someone who's never done digi!!

MichaelsMomJo
03-10-2012, 02:20 PM
Well... I couldn't help myself. I popped on to FB and read every comment. Here's what I posted:

How sad that a few people here can't enjoy and appreciate everyone's creativity without putting down digital scrapbooking as "not real." I was a paper scrapbooker, but went digital in 2006. When I open Photoshop, I am staring at a blank 12X12 page. I choose my papers and my embellishments, just like I used to. My scissors are my mouse and PS tools like the selection tools, vector shapes, and clipping masks. I make decisions about what "adhesive" to use when I add shadows. Obviously the shadow created when we use Pop-dots on traditional layouts is very different then the shadow created when we use a basic tape-runner. I must adjust accordingly. I ink edges, add glitter, and stamp using things called layer styles. I use overlays. I do not "pick a pic and click." My computer does not, will not, and cannot do the work for me. I am as creative now as I was then. I still use all the same techniques, I just had to learn how to use new tools. When I look at a layout that someone posts, I see a memory that someone lovingly preserved. I don't see traditional, hybrid, or digital because, to me, it's completely irrelevant and they are all very real.

christinap
03-10-2012, 02:42 PM
well said Joanne!

charmedeebob
03-10-2012, 03:28 PM
I agree, very well said!

mamaape
03-10-2012, 03:30 PM
Me three! Very well done!

missdamsel
03-10-2012, 03:36 PM
I hear ya, when our church did monthly craft days I would literally fill my van full of my scrapbook stuff and spend a long time carrying it all downstairs, to the van, into the church, out of the church, back into the house and back upstairs.

This is just a small part of what I used to have and all I kept when I purged thru it after I started digiscrapping!!

http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq19/missdamsel/IMG_0828.jpg

I stopped going to the weekend crops with my friends. First off it cost me a fortune to sit there with my laptop, when I can do that at home. And then everyone would stare at me, or come over to make comments like..."But I like to touch my stuff."..or "It doesn't look real" etc. I laugh though at the beginning of the weekend, when they spend 2 hours setting up, I've already scrapped 2 pages. Or when it's time to leave and I take my own car, so I can go without waiting another 2 hours for them to pack there crap up.

mamaape
03-10-2012, 03:39 PM
^^ No thanks, I like to actually use my closets instead of storing away so much papercraft that takes more time to bring out and set up than I have for actually scrapping away ! ;)

mamaape
03-10-2012, 03:43 PM
p.s. I did try traditional scrapbooking once, just couldn't do it because there was SO much. 8 pairs of scissors, stacks upon stacks of papers, little embellishments getting EVERYWHERE, glitter that never comes off of any work space, and snibbles of paper garbage littered everywhere... too much STUFF and not enough room. I have an Aunt that has an entire ROOM devoted to her scrapbooking. I do not jest. It's ridiculous (cool, sure, but ridiculous) in my opinion. But again, whatever makes you happy, and I mean that! Having to be able to just hit the power button and everything is at hand, and being able to walk away for a bit and SAVING- not having to worry about cats, dog tails or toddler hands mussing up my work... that's priceless to me.

NOT TO MENTION PRICE: Digiscrapping is cheaper, hands down.

DianaB
03-10-2012, 03:58 PM
This is so me. When my son was born, I tried to paper scrap. I bought all kinds of papers & some embellishments. I have a few scissors & paper trimmers, but I couldn't justify the cost of the stuff I really wanted and I couldn't stand the mess all over. It was so much work to pull everything out and do just one page. That it sat.

When I came across digi scrapping and what all I could do with it ~ I was hooked. I'm able to be creative without the mess & without the huge price!

p.s. I did try traditional scrapbooking once, just couldn't do it because there was SO much. 8 pairs of scissors, stacks upon stacks of papers, little embellishments getting EVERYWHERE, glitter that never comes off of any work space, and snibbles of paper garbage littered everywhere... too much STUFF and not enough room. I have an Aunt that has an entire ROOM devoted to her scrapbooking. I do not jest. It's ridiculous (cool, sure, but ridiculous) in my opinion. But again, whatever makes you happy, and I mean that! Having to be able to just hit the power button and everything is at hand, and being able to walk away for a bit and SAVING- not having to worry about cats, dog tails or toddler hands mussing up my work... that's priceless to me.

NOT TO MENTION PRICE: Digiscrapping is cheaper, hands down.

JulieEnriquezDesigns
03-10-2012, 04:04 PM
Well said Joanne.

MnMommy2
03-10-2012, 05:39 PM
That annoys me as well. I am currently at a Scrapbooking Retreat right now, we have 10 ladies here. There is myself and another gal that are only digital scrapping! She works on the CM program and I'm using PSE 7. We have some folks in awe others turn around and snub us, lol.

Cjoy2Day
03-10-2012, 06:28 PM
most people I talk to are receptive to the idea of digi scrapping but their biggest hang up to me is the actual printing of the pages. I think if they realized how much more they could do they'd go for it.

MnMommy2
03-10-2012, 06:53 PM
yea the gal that is here at the retreat with me prints 12x12, I only print that size for one theme album (my boys scout/cub scout personal album) otherwise I print 6x6 or 8x8 and I only wait until really hot sales to print, in a pinch I print at home.

Ambelleina
03-10-2012, 07:55 PM
I just use Persnickety Prints for all my printing! Everything comes out perfect and I never have to worry about quality or errors or anything. Upload, order and go and is simple. Plus, the price is printing is SO LOW compared to the price of papers, scissors, glues, ellies, glitter, etc for physical scrapping!

The other thing I'd mention is that if you're wanting to get younger people into scrapping, digital is really the way to go IMHO. I'm 25 and I only know ONE other woman my age that scraps; she does traditional because she's not in the least computer savvy and doesn't get digiscrapping/Photoshop (her words!). If I wanted to get my teenage sister into scrapping, I'd probably have a much better chance at getting her to upload pics from her digital camera and pop them in Photoshop before I'd get her to pay to print out her photos and scrap them traditionally.

In digi, I can go through photos, start a scrap, decide I want to use a different photo. If I did traditional, I'd have to make 100% which photo I want to use and pay to print it since I have a digi camera!

MichaelsMomJo
03-10-2012, 08:56 PM
The other thing I'd mention is that if you're wanting to get younger people into scrapping, digital is really the way to go IMHO. I'm 25 and I only know ONE other woman my age that scraps; she does traditional because she's not in the least computer savvy and doesn't get digiscrapping/Photoshop (her words!). If I wanted to get my teenage sister into scrapping, I'd probably have a much better chance at getting her to upload pics from her digital camera and pop them in Photoshop before I'd get her to pay to print out her photos and scrap them traditionally.

You're so right about younger people. I got my 13 year old niece started. She loves it and she's hooked. I just couldn't imagine her doing paper scrapbooking. Not to mention that my sister would go nuts from the mess that would be left. This way, the worst that can happen is that my niece leaves her laptop on the dining room table. :)

Terra
03-11-2012, 08:42 PM
I always laugh when people claim something isn't "real" just because it's not the way they choose to do it. Personally, I don't have the time, space, money or energy to spend on shopping for products (because with paper scrapping, that's a product I want to see up close and personal before buying, especially stickers and other embellishments), creating the space to store my supplies, purchasing organizers for said supplies, or cleaning up the mess created. I have enough supplies that need space just for designing!

When creating a layout digitally, I never have to worry that I smudged something or that I've used the last paper of that pattern and it's no longer for sale. I can just open up my digital supplies and start over if I want. I think if most paper scrappers tried a few pages... They'd see it was totally worth the switch!

matsugirl
03-12-2012, 01:45 AM
I remember a few years ago watching a tv talk show--an actress brought a scrapbooking album of her daughter to show the host. It was humongous! Very big and very, very thick. She needed a fork lift just to haul it out onto the stage. haha!

I never had any desire to scrapbook. I have found it to be almost obcene. All the stuff that has to be bought just to paper scrap. Then you have to have room for storing all the stuff and then you have to buy organizing stuff to organize all the stuff in YUK!.

I am grateful for digital scrapbooking. If I could not use my computer to scrap, I would not be scrapping at all!

Tree City
03-12-2012, 04:29 AM
When we moved across the country, I gave ALL of my traditional scrapping stuff to a friend of mine who had just started scrapping. I gave her over $1,000 worth of stuff. (I figured letting her use it was better than donating/throwing it away!)
And ya know what? I don't miss any of it. I kept the paper just so DD could use it in her art work (she's 4.5 lol), but otherwise EVERYTHINGl went to my friend. (And DD has used maybe 2 sheets of the paper cuz I keep forgetting that I have it lol.)
I thought I'd miss some things (the special scissors, the rubber stamps, the circle cutting mat), but I don't. I almost kept the stamps for DD, but c'mon, she's a preschooler! She doesn't want my stupid stamps! She wants her own! Right now her fave stamps are her Hello Kitty stampers she bought with her allowance rotfl.
But to each her own: If someone wants to use up precious square footage in their home to store their scrapping stuff (and their DHs let them lol), then go for it! But don't you dare knock my digital hobby that uses up only the square INCHES that my laptop measures! ;)

nutsaboutgabe
03-12-2012, 10:40 AM
This is my thoughts exactly. It's still art.

I remember a few years ago watching a tv talk show--an actress brought a scrapbooking album of her daughter to show the host. It was humongous! Very big and very, very thick. She needed a fork lift just to haul it out onto the stage. haha!

I never had any desire to scrapbook. I have found it to be almost obcene. All the stuff that has to be bought just to paper scrap. Then you have to have room for storing all the stuff and then you have to buy organizing stuff to organize all the stuff in YUK!.

I am grateful for digital scrapbooking. If I could not use my computer to scrap, I would not be scrapping at all!

Valarie
03-12-2012, 11:23 AM
I used to have a room or two devoted to my traditional supplies, then I had to move to a small apartment, there was no room for it. I did still take a few things since one of my neighbors was a scrapper too but all that work and we only got together for scrapping a couple of times. So much hassle. I had dabbled in digi a tiny bit before that but it was becoming more for me than the traditional work and with 2 small nosey kids at the time I didn't have to worry about missing something (scissors or glue) when I had to stop. My hubby was constantly upset with the amount of money I was spending on this and that in order to do a layout, there were several times he asked me to find a new hobby.
After a couple of years I had to move again, when I was packing my bedroom I had gotten a special box just for my albums. I picked them up, somehow one ended upside down, when I picked it up the floor became covered in embellishments. I opened it up, every layout had fallen apart. I was so tore up I decided it was time to make the switch completely to digi, those pages wont fall apart on me and my DH is much happier with me and doesn't say a word about my spending any longer.
I haven't been able to get rid of all my traditional supplies, they are organized and while I don't have a massive amount it is A LOT. I decided to keep the items for my kids. They have small albums and they love cutting up things, gluing things and generally making a mess, perfect! We now use my supplies for making things to frame and hang in their room or cards. I'm not so protective over the stuff anymore. I would much rather them have fun with it and make a mess than to have it just collecting dust, I mean its likely it's going to have the same fate as my albums anyway so why bother.

JulieEnriquezDesigns
03-12-2012, 12:11 PM
I had a full room dedicated to scrapping too. I took it all with me during one of those weekend crops, where I already was digi scrapping, and sold EVERYTHING!!! Whatever didn't sell, I donated to a camp for them to do crafts with. Used the money I made and bought Illustrator classes from Renee Pearson's site.

dannethia
03-12-2012, 01:05 PM
I originally started with paper scrapbooking. I still have my HUGE stash of paper scrapping supplies. But since learning digi my paper supplies has done nothing but collect dust. I still remember what a pain it was lugging all my stuff around when I went to scrap somewhere other than home. I still have alot to learn about digi but I much rather carry the computer and external hard drive around with me than all the heavy paper supplies. My opinion is noone has the right to put down digi scrapping or anything else if they have at least tried it first.

Ambelleina
03-12-2012, 01:22 PM
The biggest selling point for me really was the cost. I'm 25, living on my own and I have $30k in student loans; although I make decent money, I don't really have that much extra money to go buy papers, ellies, glitter, EXPENSIVE special tools, etc when rent is due, electricity is due, phone is due, internet is due, student loans are due... BUT, I do have enough to spend a few dollars for an entire kit I can use over and over again!

It just doesn't make financial sense for me personally to spend hundreds of dollars on supplies that need constant replenishing and numerous tools when I can spend a few dollars on a kit, and every tool I'll ever need is built into Photoshop, which I already had. I echo a previous comment: if it weren't for digi scrapping, I wouldn't be scrapping at all!
<3

StarWarsFans
03-12-2012, 03:23 PM
I started on my baby album through paper scrapping several years ago. I am determined to finish it,but just haven't found the time or desire to drag it all out. So,I have a closet full of stuff I never use. I really need to get that album finished so I can get rid of all my stuff and reclaim that space!

photom
03-20-2012, 02:06 AM
Digging up old threads, but wow you guys chatted a lot while I was gone! Although, I did put some of my "traditional" supplies to good use. We made a bunch of paper cranes out of my old 6x6 papers! Sent the rest of the paper home with my mom for my niece to enjoy! I still have a large box of paper just for kids crafts and whatnot, but that's one 3-4" stack that I "used" wisely!

elfmaiden687
05-06-2012, 08:02 PM
I realize this topic ended over a month ago, but as a "young person" I wanted to throw in my two cents.

Personally, I don't think either 'traditional' or 'digi' is completely superior to the other. Both have their flaws and their perks. Digi can get pretty expensive, at least in the beginning, depending on what editing software you choose. And it does take practice to get good at it.

One of the things I love about digi is that I can use the same materials over and over and over again, whereas with traditional scrapping you have to buy 4 or 5 copies of each thing, or scan it in (though I'm not sure about the morality of this practice. Maybe someone can help me out?). The portability is also nice, as well as the ability to share my work instantly. Another thing that sticks out to me is the personality that digi kits have. There aren't any mass-produced digi kits, and that small-group camaraderie really shines through.

That being said, I do have some traditional supplies, too. Most are papers that I liked and picked up on sale at Hobby Lobby. It's harder to find some of the brand-name scrapbooking supplies in Digi form. For example, one cannot buy Disney supplies digital- it's all in traditional as of now. And there are lots of really cute kits that are mass-produced, though they don't always have the same charm that digi kits do.

To be fair, there are people who scrap both ways. That's why there is a category called "hybrid scrapping." Nothin' wrong with that.

scrappydoo82
05-06-2012, 11:28 PM
A couple weeks ago I let my MIL use some of my stuff to make my girls and neices a bag for this summer, and showing her how to use shadows in the program she has and she told me "Oh, I like to use thist stuff as art, not like what you do". My hubs had that look on his face practically begging me not to say anything lol.

Ambelleina
05-06-2012, 11:45 PM
The thing is I've never heard a digi scrapper straight up DOG traditional scrapping as "not being real," but we've all heard and read the opposite from traditional scrappers. I don't get it. It's a spin-off. Back in the day, scrapper didn't use Cricuts, either, but those are fine while digi isn't? It's really lame.

I think most digi scrappers have traditional scrapping supplies, whether it's for other crafts or for hybrid, so it's not like digi scrappers say "Digi is the only way," so it's the "versus" and black and white mentality I don't like that many traditional scrappers have. I know some personally and they sort of go, "You scrap digitally? Ohhh..." :/

StarWarsFans
05-06-2012, 11:58 PM
I honestly think the paper scrappers who turn up their noses at digiscrapping really have no clue what it is. They sincerely think we just drag and drop our photos into a program and call it good. If they knew what all really goes into it, I think they'd have a better understanding and appreciation for our technique. I'm willing to forgive ignorance. But, any who still dog us after that are just snobs.