PDA

View Full Version : Weight Loss Surgery

cfalbro
02-23-2012, 04:57 PM
I'm having it on Feb. 28th. Have any of you had it? Do you have any really great recipes you'd like to share? I'm looking for a support forum if anyone has any suggestions. I'd love to hear anything/everything you're willing to share.

nutsaboutgabe
02-23-2012, 06:23 PM
I have a friend who had it and did well, but I don't know what her meals are like. My brother's friend did it and unfortunately he's had issues, but he didn't stop smoking either! I think his issues are brought on by his own habits.

Good luck to you!

dodgeladee
02-24-2012, 03:11 AM
My stepmom did it and she is so thankful that she did. She looks awesome and she is so happy. I don't have any suggestions for you, but I wanted to say congrats on doing it and making the decision. I know it isn't easy to do or an easy decision to make. I hope you do as splendidly as she did!

charmedeebob
02-24-2012, 05:44 AM
I have no experience with it, but I wanted to wish you luck Carolyn! Please keep us posted with pictures of your progress, I just LOVE seeing the transformation it creates in people's lives! *hugs*

cfalbro
03-02-2012, 12:43 AM
Thank you all for your words of encouragement. I had the surgery on Tuesday. The surgeon said it went super smooth, one of the easiest he's done. I've lost 7 pounds so far, but I'm on a liquid diet for 2 weeks so I expect I'll loose a good bit during that time. I'm still in a good amount of pain but I'm at least able to sit up. I can sit at my desk for about an hour or on the couch with my feet up for a couple hours. I've been scrapping my journey, you can see my pages so far in my gallery. I plan to keep it up.... it's good to be reminded what I've been through so I won't allow myself to get into this position again.

nutsaboutgabe
03-02-2012, 12:50 AM
Glad to hear it went well.

dodgeladee
03-02-2012, 02:23 AM
I am so glad to hear it went well. I was thinking of you this week wondering how it went. Thanks for the update! Congrats!!!

charmedeebob
03-02-2012, 02:57 AM
Glad it went so well and that you're recovering nicely! I'll be following your pages!

missdamsel
03-02-2012, 03:56 AM
Thanks for the update. I did a page for my sister that had the gastric sleeve done for her 1 year anniversary. She is VERY happy!! The only thing I have really noticed is that she looks older now, much older.

Here is the page I did for my sister

http://gallery.gingerscraps.net/showphoto.php?photo=43559&title=one-year-later&cat=all

catgoddess
03-02-2012, 04:31 AM
Glad you're recovering well, Carolyn. I hope you continue to do well. I don't have any experience personally, but I wanted to wish you luck and can't wait to see your progress towards a healthier you!

Ambelleina
03-02-2012, 07:30 PM
Glad to hear everything's gone smoothly! I have a coworker who had gastric bypass a few years ago. She is a constant nibbler. She eats pretty much anything she wants now, but it's always just a tiny bit: half a can of soda, a handful of chips, half a sandwich, etc. She also tells me she's not supposed to drink anything when she eats because her stomach isn't big enough to hold food and liquid.

Your sister looks great! I've considered having weight loss surgery, but I am seriously concerned about the extra skin and how fast it would age me since I'm only 25. My coworker is 52, but she looks like she's in her late 60s now that the "fluffiness" is gone from her face. Padding does keep faces looking young.

Just keep drinking water! Water keeps your skin young. And don't forget you're already beautiful, you'll just be healthier! :)

jenltip
03-03-2012, 02:29 AM
Glad to hear your surgery went smoothly and hope you continue well on your transformation journey.

cfalbro
03-05-2012, 03:17 PM
wow!! I wanted to thank you all for all the well wishes, you're all amazing. Today is 6 days post-op. I'm feeling pretty good. I stopped my pain meds on Friday and haven't been in any pain. I've lost a total of 12 pounds since the surgery. I'm still pretty week, I've laid around a lot so I'll have to build my strength up again. The last couple days I've been getting out for a short walk a couple times a day, I can only do about 5-10 minutes at a time before I'm tired. Sure glad I took extra time off work, my job is pretty physically demanding. Today I'm going to go visit my mother and cook up a batch of food for her for the week. And turns out... I only have to do liquids for 1 week starting tomorrow I can begin eating mushy/pureed food YAY!!! I can hardly wait. I'm buying a bag of potatoes today!

catgoddess
03-05-2012, 03:29 PM
Glad you're doing well, Carolyn. Keep us posted on your progress! xoxo

msbrad
03-05-2012, 04:09 PM
Happy to know you are recouperating well. I've had a couple friends from my water aerobics who have had the surgery. They are very happy they did.
Keep us updated on your progress.
m

cfalbro
03-25-2012, 05:18 PM
Just wanted to thank you all again for your support. Tomorrow I go in for a a "fill" which means they'll put fluid in my band to create some restriction so my portions will become much smaller and I'd guess I'll start seeing even more weight loss. I've only lost 1-2 pounds over the last 3 weeks. Tuesday will be the 4 week mark for me and I'll have my "official" weigh in tomorrow. I believe I'm currently at 18 pounds lost since surgery. I can definitely feel the difference.

ladyndawg
04-16-2012, 03:26 AM
Hi, I am new to the forum, and found your post. First off... congratulations and I too am glad that it went well for you! I was so glad to see this because I am about to have a gastric sleeve surgery on this coming Wednesday April 18th. I love how you are posting your week to week progress.. what a great idea! I am currently on my 5th day of liquid diet now and have been looking for a good protein shake. Most I get hold of tastes yucky :S If you find any blogs like you were looking for on recipes etc, please let me know. I'm looking for the same :)

Again .. congratulations on your progress!!!!
Donna :)

missdamsel
04-16-2012, 03:46 AM
Donna,

The gastric sleeve is what my sister had. Here are pictures of her the day of surgery, Oct 2010 and last week.

http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq19/missdamsel/photo.jpg

http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq19/missdamsel/549819_3182965165543_1008146960_32904981_177970115 4_n.jpg

Not sure how much she lost but she has gone from a size 26 to a 6 or an 8 now.

Good luck!!

ladyndawg
04-16-2012, 04:06 AM
Hi there missi... thanks so much! I'm really excited as I have tried to do this for 3 years now. My insurance only just recently approved it.

Your sister has lost a lot looking at those pictures. I see what you mean about the age. She looks a lot older in the bottom picture. Does she feel a lot better now?

I am 48, I wonder if it will make me look a lot older too :S Something I hadn't thought about. I did think about the excess skin. Not crazy about that but just can't keep living like I have been. I am missing out on way too much life right now because I don't feel like doing anything. My poor 15 year old daughter never gets to do much because when I get home from work.. all I want to do is collapse. I feel like i'm trapped in thiis big body and I want to do things but then I'm just too worn out. My doctor says it's like carrying several 10 lb bags of potatoes around all the time. Those potatoes get pretty heavy...

missdamsel
04-16-2012, 04:09 AM
Yes Donna, she feels great!!

And looking older is just one thing and not important if you feel great!

Juliemomof4
04-16-2012, 05:21 AM
Hi, I am new to the forum, and found your post. First off... congratulations and I too am glad that it went well for you! I was so glad to see this because I am about to have a gastric sleeve surgery on this coming Wednesday April 18th. I love how you are posting your week to week progress.. what a great idea! I am currently on my 5th day of liquid diet now and have been looking for a good protein shake. Most I get hold of tastes yucky :S If you find any blogs like you were looking for on recipes etc, please let me know. I'm looking for the same :)

Again .. congratulations on your progress!!!!
Donna :)

I have 2 friends who had gastric and they both lots tons of wieght. My friend Jamie who had the surgery turned me onto these shakes. It is body by VI. She is a rep for the company now because she loves them so much. I like them alot, you can add whatever you want like blueberries, bananas, whatever you please. They taste really good. If you want her info I can give it to you, just PM me.

Jazz2000
04-17-2012, 01:02 PM
Wondering how you're doing lately.

missdamsel
03-05-2013, 01:34 PM
Carolyn, how are you doing a year later? I am sure you have updated and I simply missed it.

Colleen
03-05-2013, 10:50 PM
Yes, I would love to know how things are as well! :)

sladd79054
03-08-2013, 12:42 AM
I am 2 weeks post op from having gastric bypass and was wondering how you are doing, I am pretty much going through hell, it is the hardest thing I have ever done.

nutsaboutgabe
03-08-2013, 12:56 AM
Lisa - I'm sure it's difficult and I wish you the best through your recovery. Are you in pain or is it something else that is making it hell?

missdamsel
03-08-2013, 01:47 AM
I have heard this from everyone I know that has had the surgery, but everyone says they would do it again!

Just as a boost, here is picture of my sister April 2010 (Her surgery was Oct 2010)

http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq19/missdamsel/63300_1525566131603_1200388_n.jpg

and my sister last month, February 2013 (28 months post surgery)

http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq19/missdamsel/72677_4925770254581_1254290556_n.jpg

I am 2 weeks post op from having gastric bypass and was wondering how you are doing, I am pretty much going through hell, it is the hardest thing I have ever done.

msbrad
03-08-2013, 02:27 AM
Super before and after photos. All the best to all who have travelled this path.
m

sladd79054
03-08-2013, 12:12 PM
No pain, just hungry, I want to eat regular food.

Lisa - I'm sure it's difficult and I wish you the best through your recovery. Are you in pain or is it something else that is making it hell?