PDA

View Full Version : 2012 resolution

Rhoda Jayne
01-10-2012, 10:17 PM
I see that no one has posted in this forum for a while. My 2012 goal is to get back on track with healthier eating and lose weight. My goal is to "Eat Clean" and follow the guidelines and recipes in the books by Tosca Reno.
Is anyone else starting a new plan?

photom
01-10-2012, 11:10 PM
"Eat to Live" by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. I am reading his pre- revised edition. The other one is on hold at the library. It's been there about a month- and I probably still have 1 more to go! His books are so fascinating, but they also repeat things over again. I guess he wasn't expecting to have someone just sit down with the book and read the whole thing in just a few days. There are a few good recipes in there.

Basically, it's about eating mostly fruits and veggies- whole ones- with little to no meat. Absolutely no refined sugars. Little to no breads and pastas. The combos are his key. A lady I have been working for the past 2 months has eaten like this for the past 3-4 years, and she is amazingly so healthy. Plus, with me now trying to live gluten free this whole year. I've made it 2 whole weeks now! Let's see if I can make it past next December.

I would love to know what your eating plan is, if you don't mind sharing.

Rhoda Jayne
01-11-2012, 03:43 PM
I have his book too! Lots of good information in there. If you check out eatcleandiet.com you can get more info on the plan. There is a grocery list PDF file that you can download also. If you read the eat clean recharged book it goes into much more details and eating lists for family, vegan, gluten free. The premise is to eat small meals about three hours apart consisting of lean protein & a complex carbohydrate. She calls these "cooler plans" because you can pack your insulated bag & take it with you.
The books have lots of good information about living a healthy lifestyle.

photom
01-11-2012, 05:09 PM
I will definitely check it out. Maybe I can put the 2 together. I was sick over last weekend. I actually started trying his recipes and I finally seemed to get over it. I was feeling really uncongested yesterday (just still sounded really bad), so I had lots (ok- like 2 or 3 cheese sticks) and today I feel congested again. I knew better anyway. I know it's only 10 days in, but I've made it gluten free so far! I resisted a muffin at a meeting yesterday!

Rhoda Jayne
02-07-2012, 04:16 AM
I'm still on my plan & I'm losing weight! Yay! It's coming off slowly & I sure can get impatient!:( I downloaded a free app from Itunes for my phone that is called My Fitness Pal. Keeping track of everything you eat is an eye opener!

charmedeebob
02-07-2012, 08:51 AM
My fitness pal is a great app! It really helps you keep realistic about the calories you're eating.
I've been doing Weight Watchers since Dec and doing well. Slowly but surely right? I've sworn off chocolate. It's my drug :( abstinence is the key! Lol :)
Sarah I am gluten free too, it's hard at first but gets easier. May I ask, are you celiac? Or are you choosing to be GF for another reason? Just curious, cuz I'm nosy like that :) I'm not celiac but I have an autoimmune disease and I feel much better and have less pain when I am off wheat.

photom
02-07-2012, 04:12 PM
I'm not celiac but I have an autoimmune disease and I feel much better and have less pain when I am off wheat.
Yep, me too. Except that I really haven't noticed too much problems on or off wheat! My husband is gluten-intolerant, so there are actually more symptoms than being celiac (or so I've heard). I'd love to know some tips on how to best live with the autoimmune diseases, since I'm nosy like that! :)

charmedeebob
02-08-2012, 06:40 AM
well I could use some tips too :) I get tired a lot, so I try to rest, but then feel guilty for "not doing enough" and having a messy house, but I work full time so I have to do what I can. I have heard that avoiding "inflammatory foods" can be helpful, like tomatoes are from the nightshade family, things like that. Like I could ever not eat tomatoes though, pffft :) avoiding stress is a big one. when I'm stressed for a prolonged period, its pretty much guaranteed that I will come down with a cold and/or a flare after the stress subsides. I have also heard that fat itself is inflammatory, so being at a healthy weight is good for autoimmune diseases in general. I've just really been trying to focus on feeding my body not my soul lately. Its not always easy - I had my period last week and my soul was ready to rip someone's arm off and beat them to death with it for some chocolate :) but overall its helped me to think twice about what I eat and to be kind to my body.I am fighting some major hip pain right now, and once I get that under control, my plan is to wake early to do yoga in the morning before anyone wakes up. I love my house, and I especially love it when its quiet, perfect for yoga :)

photom
02-08-2012, 02:49 PM
Char, I really think you should check into Dr. Joel Fuhrman's book. He does talk about autoimmune diseases a lot and why we are getting them so much. (He specifically mentions Rheumatoid Arthritis and another I can't remember, but it wasn't mine!) His new book has tons of recipes. I've tried a few, and they are yummy and healthy! His teaching weren't completely new to me, though.

charmedeebob
02-08-2012, 02:50 PM
I will look into it, thanks Sara :)

msbrad
02-08-2012, 04:19 PM
I'm continuing my goals of keeping the healthier eating style, going to the gym. DH has lost 35 and I've lost 30. And...I'd really like to get all caught up with my scrapping and kits organized. We shall see on the last one.
m

Rhoda Jayne
02-11-2012, 07:43 PM
My son is setting up the wii fitness plus board for me. I've got to go enter the information on it . I've also got to start my wii Zumba again. I promise it's a sight to see when I do it.

Rhoda Jayne
02-11-2012, 07:51 PM
I'm really loving my fitness pal. We go out to eat every weekend so I "budget" my calories so i can eat out without blowing the day.

Jill DZines
02-17-2012, 04:34 AM
OOooh! I need in on this thread! I've got a few goals for this year... main ones are losing weight (I have lost about 20 pounds in the last 4 months or so, but have a way to go) and getting more SCRAPPING done, as well as increasing my designing to have new releases more often! AND starting a new monthly challenge here at GS (Mystery Challenge, which is something I've been kicking around in the back of my head for over a year now!) AND trying to do more cooking healthy foods is an on-going one (which I had kind of slacked off on during the last year...) AND I am walking on my treadmill almost every day and recently starting a yoga and meditation practice - trying to figure out the best time of day to do that. Now that my daughter is in college, she is home a lot more during the day (compared to high-school), so I don't have as much "private time" as when she was at the high-school... Gosh, I have SOOo many goals and plans! It's almost overwhelming when I look at the whole list.... One step at a time, right? :D

Good for you, Michelle, on the 30 pounds weight-loss - that is fantastic!! And Rhoda Jayne, great idea with the Wii fitness! I love the Wii tennis game, but can't get anyone to play against me, so have to just play against the game. I used to LOVE tennis, but cannot do it anymore, but the Wii version is very do-able so I enjoy that!

I can't imagine having to cut gluten from my cooking, as I bake all of our buns for sandwiches (I make a dozen large buns at least twice a week, often 3 times) and I always add gluten - especially when I use whole-wheat in the buns! We like super-soft-and-fluffy buns, even if they are partly whole-wheat... I don't think the gluten causes any problems for any of us - knock on wood, eh? hehe

photom
02-17-2012, 04:39 AM
I don't think the gluten causes any problems for any of us - knock on wood, eh? hehe
Yes! So my husband would always complain about the airplanes banning peanuts because of the peanut dust, right? So, he finds out that he couldn't eat them without breaking out in a rash- so now that's something he laughs about now! He also would add 1 CUP (yep- I always thought that a little much, since the recipe calls for max of 1 Tablespoon) of Vital Wheat Gluten! No wonder we have a problem! I would LOVE your bun recipe if you don't mind sharing it! We go through a lot of bread around here, and it really isn't too hard to modify the recipe! (Although my 10 yr old DD will make hers with wheat! lol)

Rhoda Jayne
02-17-2012, 05:55 PM
I bought a huge can of Vital wheat gluten from honeyville farms so I could make seitan. At the time I had no idea that people were allergic to it~

nutsaboutgabe
02-17-2012, 05:59 PM
Did you say bun recipe? I'd love it, if you are willing to share.

OOooh! I need in on this thread! I've got a few goals for this year... main ones are losing weight (I have lost about 20 pounds in the last 4 months or so, but have a way to go) and getting more SCRAPPING done, as well as increasing my designing to have new releases more often! AND starting a new monthly challenge here at GS (Mystery Challenge, which is something I've been kicking around in the back of my head for over a year now!) AND trying to do more cooking healthy foods is an on-going one (which I had kind of slacked off on during the last year...) AND I am walking on my treadmill almost every day and recently starting a yoga and meditation practice - trying to figure out the best time of day to do that. Now that my daughter is in college, she is home a lot more during the day (compared to high-school), so I don't have as much "private time" as when she was at the high-school... Gosh, I have SOOo many goals and plans! It's almost overwhelming when I look at the whole list.... One step at a time, right? :D

Good for you, Michelle, on the 30 pounds weight-loss - that is fantastic!! And Rhoda Jayne, great idea with the Wii fitness! I love the Wii tennis game, but can't get anyone to play against me, so have to just play against the game. I used to LOVE tennis, but cannot do it anymore, but the Wii version is very do-able so I enjoy that!

I can't imagine having to cut gluten from my cooking, as I bake all of our buns for sandwiches (I make a dozen large buns at least twice a week, often 3 times) and I always add gluten - especially when I use whole-wheat in the buns! We like super-soft-and-fluffy buns, even if they are partly whole-wheat... I don't think the gluten causes any problems for any of us - knock on wood, eh? hehe

Jill DZines
02-17-2012, 08:23 PM
OK - You can download my recipe here:

http://www.digiscrapdzines.com/JDZbloggifts/JillDZ_Soft-Fluffy-Hmbrgr-Buns.zip

I had tried out at least 10 different recipes before finding this one (and then looked no further!) I have the ingredients written out for 3 different-sized batches. First column is the original recipe's size, middle column is what I usually make in my bread-machine (makes 12 large buns the way I do it - which I'll add more info on) and the 3rd column (slide the 2c. water over here!) is if I want to make an extra- large batch - but if I do that, I mix the dough in my KitchenAid (heavy-duty) mixer rather than in the bread-machine. I did make just one small change to the recipe - it originally called for regular active dry yeast, but I use a special kind of yeast that ALWAYS gives me great results - SAF Yeast, purchased in bulk on Amazon.

Here: http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Yeast-1-Pound-Pouches-Pack/dp/B003Z7VYXW

I buy the 4-pack because it's only about $4 more than a 1-pack, and the yeast keeps very well in the freezer, for up to 5 years, more if you keep it in it's vacuum-sealed package! Even when it's that old, it will probably work better than typical grocery-store yeast, and even better than "bread-machine" yeast. If you bake a lot, this is definitely the way to go. If you're not sure if you can use that much, try to get a friend or family-member to go in with you and split it, so you each get 2 packs. (Also, wait until you have something else you want from Amazon, so you get to $25 order - that way you get free shipping) Buying it this way is WAY cheaper (and better!) than the jars (and especially the little envelope/packets) you usually get at the grocery store! I bought my current 4-pack on Oct. 31st last year, and am just getting to the end of the first pack... and I make buns about 3 times per week, and sometimes bake extra loaves of bread as well - so it lasts a LONG time. ALso, SAF yeast is specially made in France, designed to activate almost instantly, so is ideal for bread-machines, but works in traditional mixers as well. No need to "proof" the yeast ahead of time - as long as you use warm water in your dough, it WILL work - every time!

Switching to this yeast is, I think, the single best thing I ever learned for making the best buns and breads possible. It really makes a HUGE difference! I've not had one single loaf flop since I started using this yeast! Although it states on Amazon that you don't need to adjust the size and use the same amount as other yeasts, the book I read about it in says that you should plan to use 2 tsp. per recipe, instead of the usual 2-1/2 tsp. that most recipes call for, and that envelope/packets of yeast come in.

Here's my process (a little different than the recipe states): Put all ingred. in the bread-maker pan, in order listed. (I usually substitute one cup of whole-wheat flour for a cup of the bread-flour, and add an extra tsp. of gluten when I do that) Select "dough" and start. Once the continuous knead has gone for a few minutes, check your dough and see if you need to add water or flour. As long as you don't pack the flour into your measuring cups, but spoon it in lightly, the recipe usually is pretty accurate, but sometimes I have to add 1 or 2 Tablespoons water. If you see dry flour that is not blending in well, add a Tbsp. of water (or 2) then check again in a couple minutes. As soon as the dough cycle ends, remove dough onto lightly oiled surface (helps if you oil your hands too) and knead it for a few more minutes. This makes a big difference!

Next, lightly oil a big bowl, and put your dough-ball in it, lightly oiled as well, and cover bowl with a light tea-towel (or smallish dish-towel). I put it in a slightly-warmed oven to rise - just turn the oven on @ 200 degrees, for about 15 seconds, then turn it off right away. This puts just enough warmth in there to keep your dough rising nicely, but not too fast. Let dough double in size - usually about 30 minutes if in oven, longer if not in oven.

Then, put a large baking-pan size (mine is 16" x 12" x 1" deep) piece of parchment paper on your counter, and turn the dough out onto that. Gently stretch and shape it into rectangular shape, and use rolling pin to roll out so it covers almost the entire paper. It might not get all the way in the corners, no big deal, those buns will just be a little smaller. Don't worry if the dough gets flattened out - we're going to let it rise again. Once you get it to the size of the paper (large cookie-sheet size), use a large pizza-cutter to cut into 12 pieces. (I cut in thirds across the 12" side of pan, and in fourths on the 16" side). Then just carefully drag the paper (with dough on it) onto your pan. Cover with cloth again, and let rise again, for a bit longer this time - until the buns are quite puffy and fill up the pan - about 45 min. to an hour (more if your oven isn't slightly warmed - I usually re-warm the oven for another 15 to 20 seconds before the 2nd rise.)

When you think it's nicely risen, take it out of oven (if you had it in the oven!) and pre-heat oven to 375, then turn down to 350 and put pan in oven (parchment paper stays on pan, under buns - works fantastic to prevent any sticking and makes easy clean-up!) Set timer for 12 min., then turn the pan around and bake for another 2 to 3 minutes or so - until your buns start to have a nice golden color on top. Probably not longer than 15 minutes total. (unless your oven runs slightly cooler than average). Let them cool a couple minutes in the pan, then pull them onto a cooling rack, using the parchment paper to slide them over - once they're on the rack, you can easily slide the paper out from under them - see? Parchment paper rocks! I usually save my paper and use it 2 or 3 times. Just shake off any crumbs, fold it over a couple times, and put on a shelf until next the batch. (Most people only use the parchment paper once - but it works just fine to re-use, and I'm terminally cheap, so I do!)

Put about 1 Tbsp. of butter in a small bowl and melt, use a pastry-brush to brush lightly onto the tops of the buns. (this allows them to keep a nice soft top, and only adds a tiny bit of butter to each bun) Let buns cool completely before storing in airtight bags.

Hopefully I covered everything. Let me know if I missed anything, or if you have questions. While this SOUNDS like it takes a lot of time, it really doesn't. It just takes a little time for the dough to rise is all - the work only takes a few minutes. :)

Rhoda Jayne
02-17-2012, 09:20 PM
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop-img/1304016800968.jpgJill do you use one of these for your buns? http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/individual-pie-and-burger-bun-pan or look at this one!
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop-img/1297873728306.jpghttp://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/classic-new-england-hotdog-bun-pan I love bread even though I'm dieting!
Rhoda

Jill DZines
02-17-2012, 09:36 PM
Nope, I just use a flat cookie-sheet - but that hot-dog bun pan looks awesome!

Maybe I should add that my buns come out square-shaped, and a little flatter than buns you buy- but still light-and-fluffy - but this is what we like, because we use them for sandwiches (or hamburgers). They turn out perfect for sandwiches with cheese slices - just the right size! :)

Rhoda Jayne
02-17-2012, 09:43 PM
I was sent a link to the KingArthur site last year & bookmarked the hotdog pan. That's just too cool! I'd never heard of one before, but if I made bread often I would want it!

Jill DZines
02-17-2012, 09:54 PM
Yeah, the hot-dog bun pan is awesome... but I just looked at the price! I can make 3 months worth of buns for that price! LOL! But now I am inspired to try making hot-dog buns again. I tried making them a couple times, but that was when I was first beginning my bread-baking self-education, and they didn't come out so hot... hehe But now, having learned MAINLY that they just usually need more time to rise than you think they will, I'm going to try making them again, and start with a bigger piece of dough for each bun, and let them rise more. If anyone saw my first attempts at hot-dog buns, they would truly be rolling on the floor laughing - they were SO bad! Hahaa! I ended up giving a couple to the dog and tossing the rest. hehe

photom
02-18-2012, 04:35 PM
I bought a huge can of Vital wheat gluten from honeyville farms so I could make seitan. At the time I had no idea that people were allergic to it~
Where are you located? I'm not sure if you got it shipped or not, or if honeyville has multiple locations, but I know of one not too far from me. I am in SLC, UT.

Rhoda Jayne
03-06-2012, 02:20 AM
I live in southwest Arkansas. Honeyville's shipping is very dependable. Have you tried their freeze-dried meats?

Ambelleina
03-06-2012, 02:52 AM
my goal is 2012 is to lose all the "relationship weight" i've put on in the last 2.5 years since i met my boyfriend!

right before we met, i lost 40 lbs and 3 dress sizes and while i was still overweight, i felt perfect and loved how i looked (as did everyone else!).

then i met the MAN, lol!

he was raised on "fend for yourself nights" and is a taco bell and wendy's fiend. i was raised on my mom cooking every single day and fast food being an extremely rare 'treat.' so of course, i gained all the 40 lbs back i lost. :(

i started on a diet of lots of veggies and careful calorie-counting and lost 4 lbs from nov-dec, so that leaves me only 36 lbs to go--EEK!

i got myself a wii for christmas and my boyfriend bought me just dance 3. i also got the michael jackson experience and i've been sweating all over the place between the two games!

i've always liked dancing, so it's an easy transition from computer potato to wii dancer!

JulieEnriquezDesigns
03-06-2012, 10:59 AM
I've been on a exercise and diet resolution since New Year's. I had gone through a bad depression, when I had lost my job. Was put on medicine and gained 43 pounds. I'm no longer on the meds, but the weight is still with me. Going through Menopause is not helping the weight lose process. It kind of makes it harder to lose. But, since January I have lost 4 pounds and am struggling, but doing it.

I love the Zumba for wii and Just Dance 2. It makes exercise fun and doesn't feel like I'm exercising.

Ambelleina
03-06-2012, 01:27 PM
i haven't gotten Zumba for Wii yet but I really want to!

I have PCOS, so it's incredibly easy for me to put on weight and super difficult for me to lose it.

Also, everyone on my dad's side of the family is well over 300 lbs. (I was 10 lbs when I was born--yikes!)

But I'm trying! What's your experience with Zumba for Wii?

JulieEnriquezDesigns
03-12-2012, 12:05 PM
May I ask what PCOS is?

I totally love the Zumba for WII. You can do one song, or a set, which is 4 songs, so it's really at your pace. I started with just the one song, now I can do 3 in a row. It's really fun, and like I said, you don't feel like your exercising. I've been slacking off though last week and only did it two days. New week though, so will strive for my 5 days again. Seems to be the only way I can lose weight is if I exercise everyday, so that's my goal.

Jill DZines
03-13-2012, 01:46 AM
May I ask what PCOS is?

I didn't know either, so I had to go find out. (I'm snoopy like that... haha!) Found this:

http://women.webmd.com/tc/polycystic-ovary-syndrome-pcos-topic-overview

That Zumba sounds like lots of fun! I will stick with my treadmill though. I LOVE my treadmill and try to use it at least 5 days a week, unless I absolutely can't (which isn't often). I've had a couple spinal fusions, so don't think I bend the way you need to in Zumba... I'd look kind of like a zombie, I think. hehe

I am also trying to lose weight, but I swear I am HOOKED on ice-cream! :StickingToungOut: Have lost a few pounds, but it is SLOW going!

jenyurko
03-13-2012, 02:19 AM
OK I have seen Zumba all over the place nowadays. What the heck is it? Is it like just dance?

Yes I'm severely out of the loop over here. Lol!

Ambelleina
03-13-2012, 04:34 AM
Jill, you are so on the ball! hehe

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome STIIIINKS! :((( I got all those lovely symptoms first listed: I started growing hair on my face (what? on my chin? WHAT?! first time ever, it was very unsettling.), I started getting acne (not a pimple or two like I was used to, but full blown acne at 23) and I started gaining weight.

Note: having too much testosterone SUCKS.

I also went 10 months without a period. 10 MONTHS. At 23 yrs old, that was pretty scary. That combined with the weight gain had my female coworkers who were aware of the situation constantly telling me "youre pregnant, youre pregnant, look at all this weight youre gaining, youre pregnant." I also completely lost my sex drive. Like, zilch. Dead. Bad. (In other words, no way for me to get pregnant--LOL.)

I was not pregnant. I went for my first ever gyn visit (I know, I was delayed), and after tests and whatnot, found out it's PCOS. They put me on straight hormones for a while that gave me a heavy 30-day period (worst 30 days EVER) and now I have to be on birth control if I want a chance at ever having kids in the future. Unfortunately multiple miscarriages is *very* common with PCOS sufferers. :/

And on topic, it makes it so easy to gain weight and so hard to lose weight (testosterone = bulk). Even if I watch my calories, fat and sugar like a hawk, I can't lose weight without also being on a high-cardio workout at least 5 days a week. The last time I really lost some weight, I was eating 1,000 calories a day all in fruits and veggies and working out 2 hrs a day/6 days a week. Even with that, I only lost 35 lbs and it took me 8 months to do it. I should have lost more like 60-65 lbs in that amt of time.

But now I'm looking to do some Zumba on my Wii! I don't have the $$$ for a gym membership now that I'm living on my own, so I just wanna shake my booty and get rid of some lbs! hehe

Zumba is a workout, but it's latin dancing and full of cardio! It's supposed to be fun so you forget you're working out for an hour, but I've heard nothing but glowing reviews from people who do it regularly. I want to get it on Wii first, learn the dances, then maybe venture into a class if they're reasonably priced.

Rhoda Jayne
03-18-2012, 01:43 AM
I have Wii zumba and I need to get started on it again. I bought the fitness plus last summer but I haven't put it together yet.
Now that I've been dieting for two months I really need to add some more exercise to it

JulieEnriquezDesigns
03-18-2012, 06:22 PM
I'm sorry Christina. That does not sound good at all. I can't even imagine what you go through.

Being Menopause and dealing with depression makes losing weight for me hard. But the Zumba does help, and yes, it's like Latin Dancing. What I like about the Wii one, is it's me, myself and I. So if I look like an idiot doing it, no one but me sees it.