PDA

View Full Version : Buying Photoshop??

MamaCake
10-05-2011, 09:15 PM
Any of you have any great tips on how to get Photoshop? I was thinking creative suite but I'm not determined - I am just looking for a good deal. Thought all you intelligent people might have some info for me :) Thanks!

Kats Creations
10-05-2011, 09:44 PM
If you're a student {or know a student who can order it for you}, you can get CS Design Standard 5.5, which comes with Photoshop CS5.1 and Adobe Illustrator CS5 for only $300. {retail value: $1300} :) That's what I got. Otherwise, all Photoshops are Creative Suite; the newest being 5.1.

I got CS4 a couple of years ago for $150 on ebay -- brand new, still in it's original packaging, so you can always check there. :)

Does that help at all?

trina513
10-05-2011, 11:30 PM
I was goin to say the same thing - find a student! Best way to get a good deal!

Kats Creations
10-05-2011, 11:35 PM
Yep -- and all the student {or teacher} has to do is show proof {with a student/teacher id}. :D

Luv Ewe Designs
10-05-2011, 11:36 PM
I would say watch out with buying these kinds of programs on ebay or amazon. I bought CS4 on amazon and turned out it was a pirated copy (looked real though!). Make sure the person does have a good status as a seller. Even though this is not always the case just to let you know it happens.

MamaCake
10-05-2011, 11:36 PM
Thanks Kat! That does help! I was looking at ebay some but I have to be careful I am not just getting an upgrade! I need the full version!!

Kats Creations
10-05-2011, 11:46 PM
Yeah, for sure make sure that it's the full version. :) I have to add that the CS4 I got was the extended version {which I got for the animation}. CS5 has the animation built in and the extended version is if you want the 3D, which I never used. :)

GingerScraps
10-05-2011, 11:51 PM
I would consider posting that your on the lookout in the forums you visit. If your open to having an older version, you can buy one from a fellow scrapper that has recently upgraded.
I know I always get upgrades once my uncle gets his newest. hehe. He gives me his hand me downs once he upgrades, it is awesome! Don't you wish you had an uncle Henry :) hehe
But there are lots of scrapper upgrading, and then they have no use for their old version.

missdamsel
10-06-2011, 12:08 AM
Watch the terms of use on student versions! They specify they can not be used in any sort of money making format. So if you are designing with a student version, you can get in trouble. I also got my CS4 from ebay, but I had ordered 3 times before I got a legal copy!! I got my money back each time, but it was definitely a pain in the hiney!

Sitting here wondering where I can get an Uncle Henry!?!?!

If you're a student {or know a student who can order it for you}, you can get CS Design Standard 5.5, which comes with Photoshop CS5.1 and Adobe Illustrator CS5 for only $300. {retail value: $1300} :) That's what I got. Otherwise, all Photoshops are Creative Suite; the newest being 5.1.

I got CS4 a couple of years ago for $150 on ebay -- brand new, still in it's original packaging, so you can always check there. :)

Does that help at all?

prettyingreen
10-06-2011, 02:19 AM
my mom got me CS2 off ebay like forever ago LOL and i'm working on buying Kats CS4 now :D which reminds me.... sending payment now kat :)

Sarah
10-06-2011, 02:37 AM
If you don't need *all* the stats of full-on Photoshop, you can also check out Elements. I use both CS5 & Elements 9, and I honestly prefer Elements. It seems to run better.

Another other type to use is Paint Shop Pro. It uses a lot of the same files as Photoshop, and is also cheaper :D

MamaCake
10-06-2011, 03:33 AM
Oh! Henry!!! Oh Uncle Henry!!!
hehe :)

Thank you all for your posts, they are very helpful! I'm a little scared of ebay now...and I would like to try my hand at designing so thank you for that info on the student version as I was leaning towards that!!

So - has anyone upgraded recently and interested in getting rid of their old version?! I need my own Uncle Henry! :D

Colleen
10-06-2011, 02:26 PM
Good luck in your search! Hmmm - an Uncle Henry would be nice! ;)

jenevang
10-06-2011, 07:01 PM
I. Want. An. Uncle. Henry. :beg:

MamaCake
10-11-2011, 04:33 PM
Watch the terms of use on student versions! They specify they can not be used in any sort of money making format. So if you are designing with a student version, you can get in trouble. I also got my CS4 from ebay, but I had ordered 3 times before I got a legal copy!! I got my money back each time, but it was definitely a pain in the hiney!

Sitting here wondering where I can get an Uncle Henry!?!?!

I found this here: http://www.adobe.com/education/students/studentteacheredition/faq.html
Can I use my Adobe Student and Teacher Edition software for commercial use?
Yes. You may purchase a Student and Teacher Edition for personal as well as commercial use

So does the nix what missi said here??!?

Lisa
10-11-2011, 04:41 PM
I'd say yes, after all that's Adobe talking. :)

MamaCake
10-11-2011, 04:58 PM
YAY! Thank you! I thought so but wanted to make sure I wasn't just dreaming or wishing it ;)

trina513
10-11-2011, 08:16 PM
Awesome!!!

missdamsel
10-12-2011, 03:51 AM
YAY!! They have changed ther TOU!!!

I found this here: http://www.adobe.com/education/students/studentteacheredition/faq.html
Can I use my Adobe Student and Teacher Edition software for commercial use?
Yes. You may purchase a Student and Teacher Edition for personal as well as commercial use

So does the nix what missi said here??!?

Scrappyfrog
11-19-2011, 01:23 PM
If you don't qualify for the student version...get on their mailing list. I got CS5 for $300....not as good as a student discount but not bad, plus they offer you 30% off another program if you purchase it at the same time.

kelley
11-29-2011, 07:06 PM
I also got the student version from Adobe. LOVE student discounts!!

Sarah
11-29-2011, 07:15 PM
I ended up getting PSE 10 for $50 because of a link Kathy Winters shared on her FB. :D It's still going on through today, I believe.
Amazon had it for a little cheaper, as well!

MamaCake
11-29-2011, 08:32 PM
Sarah, I saw the link Kathy had up too, awesome deal, glad you snagged it! I never even thought of waiting for a sale, duh. But I did end up getting the student version, yay! Now, onto learning how to use it!! :)

Sarah
11-29-2011, 08:34 PM
Sarah, I saw the link Kathy had up too, awesome deal, glad you snagged it! I never even thought of waiting for a sale, duh. But I did end up getting the student version, yay! Now, onto learning how to use it!! :)

It's pretty easy and straightforward to use. If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask. SOMEONE will know. Trust me :D