PDA

View Full Version : Super Mario Brothers Inspired Kit

StarWarsFans
03-16-2011, 03:12 AM
I know that Mario and Luigi and all things related to them are copyrighted and strictly belong to Nintendo. BUT, my son is seriously into Super Mario Brothers for the Wii right now. It's all he talks about and wants to do. We have to limit him, because he would play all day if we'd let him.

So, I am on the hunt for a kit that is done in primary colors and features things like cute little mushrooms, turtles, square bricks, clouds, flags, coins, yellow stars, a grey castle, etc. Like I said, I know that actual Nintendo items cannot be included, but I would think that a kit "inspired" by it would not cause any infringement problems. The kit could also include general gaming things like a T.V., controller, etc.

I'm not the only one on the hunt for such a kit. Almost everytime I look at the ISO thread at DST, someone is looking for a Super Mario kit. So I think a designer could really find a target market with this. :)

Colleen
03-16-2011, 03:16 PM
That would be a fun idea! I think we are planning on a Super Mario/Nintendo theme for my son's birthday! :)

Ellie
03-16-2011, 05:44 PM
I actually have a kit like this on my to do list! I'll bump it up and see if I can get it done in the next couple of weeks.

sparagus
03-17-2011, 04:36 PM
Oh yes! I could really use a kit like this as well! :)

StarWarsFans
03-17-2011, 06:32 PM
Awesome Ellie! Thanks!

prettyingreen
03-18-2011, 01:14 AM
have you seen MandyMade's We Like To Play (http://store.gingerscraps.net/We-Like-To-Play.html) shes got the turtle shells and mushrooms
http://store.gingerscraps.net/images/P/mmdb_WLTP_Ellie_pre.jpg

StarWarsFans
03-18-2011, 01:50 AM
I did see that and I like a lot of the elements for scrapping photos of us playing Wii Sports, but I really wanted the more true primary/Mario colors for the pics of my son. I'll definitely keep it in mind though. Thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten that I came across that awhile back!

trina513
03-18-2011, 02:02 AM
YES ELLIE! :) That'd be awesome! And Tricia - are you sure you're not talking about MY son?!? LOL totally him - on the DS or Wii! I think we're going to do a Mario bday for him too (thanks Colleen ;) LOL) After two years of TRANSFORMERS I'm ready for a change and that was the only thing he'd agree to! LOL

Shananigans
03-19-2011, 10:07 PM
Ellie let's talk!!

My husband just graduated college with his degree in video game making. My children all have DS's - 2 have DSi's and the 4 year old has a DS. My husband and the 2 older ones are now getting the 3DS when it comes out next week. The 4 year old will then move up to the DSi.

Video games are huge in my family -- especially Nintendo!

Ellie
03-20-2011, 02:13 AM
So what would you guys like to see in a Mario themed kit? I have the colors down and instead of Mario and Luigi I have both boys and girls of different colors dressed in blue overalls and green or red shirts, like this:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/L3Lash/misc/elash_kids.jpg

My trouble is trying to make things similar enough that they are recognizable, but not similar enough to create problems with copyright. I didn't think it would be so hard, but it is! lol

Shananigans
03-20-2011, 12:30 PM
I love the kids!

You definitely need the coins, the flower -- you can do a ball and chain, the tubes....the hats

Just some ideas...lol

prettyingreen
03-20-2011, 01:43 PM
mushrooms and turtles? i'd love to see some kind of yoshi... that would be hard but i LOVE yoshi :)

Ellie
03-20-2011, 04:34 PM
Thanks, Shannon!

Rachel, I love Yoshi, too! He's my favorite. I was just thinking there has to be some way I can make a little dinosaur type character without making it too close...

trina513
03-21-2011, 03:17 AM
OOOOOOOOOOOOH! Ellie - YEAH! :D I'm SOOOO Excited!! :) Yeah - that'd be hard w/ the copyright - I understand copyright - but its frustrating when you're trying to market to a group that wants it - and Nintendo doesnt have anything to fill that market with - did that make sense? LOL

Jodi
03-21-2011, 08:00 PM
Those kids are super cute Ellie!

sassypixie
03-28-2011, 06:41 AM
So cute Ellie! You rock!

Shananigans
03-28-2011, 11:11 AM
What about some mushrooms too?

GingerScraps
03-28-2011, 05:31 PM
You need a princess too :) Wouldnt that be a cute LO.... "saving the princess"
A flag pole with a flag at the top.
A go cart maybe? for Mario cart.

Colleen
03-29-2011, 12:05 AM
Super cute!

trina513
03-29-2011, 12:41 AM
You need a princess too :) Wouldnt that be a cute LO.... "saving the princess"
A flag pole with a flag at the top.
A go cart maybe? for Mario cart.

YES!! All of those things would be great!

Lisa
03-29-2011, 02:51 AM
I have no clue how copyrights work, but my thought was - what if everything is seperate - like the kids need hats and maybe mustaches, and an alpha like the lettering on their hats.

trina513
03-29-2011, 04:10 AM
OOh - Lisa I like that Idea....you could "build your own" then...

But I dont know how copyrights work either!

Ellie
03-29-2011, 04:42 AM
I had to trash a few things already because my husband looked over my shoulder and said, "Nintendo is going to chase you down and skin you alive."

This kit is taking a LOT more time than I imagined simply because it's almost impossible (for me, maybe I lack imagination hehe ) to create something close-but-not-too-close. There are some kits out that that are great, but I think have crossed the line. Hard to know where that line is sometimes, though!

trina513
03-29-2011, 02:21 PM
Ok - what if you do a coordinating kit - and give away the too close (instead of trashing them) as freebies? Then you're not SELLING them?

ShortCake
03-29-2011, 08:59 PM
I recently bought a kit that looks very close to Super Mario and the kit is awesome. So, if they can do it, I know you can Ellie.

StarWarsFans
04-01-2011, 04:55 AM
My original post has a long list of things I'd like to see in the kit:

.....a kit that is done in primary colors and features things like cute little mushrooms, turtles, square bricks, clouds, flags, coins, yellow stars, a grey castle, etc. Like I said, I know that actual Nintendo items cannot be included, but I would think that a kit "inspired" by it would not cause any infringement problems. The kit could also include general gaming things like a T.V., controller, etc.

I can see how it's hard to be close, but not too close, to Nintendo inspired items. We certainly don't want you to get in trouble!

Harmonystar
04-06-2011, 04:28 PM
I found a fabulous mario brothers kit that as far as I can tell doesn't break any copyright. It's really super clever. I don't want to really share links from other stores, but if you wanted to give it a look it's called 1-up by Traci Reed, you can google it. ;) I saw the kit when checking in this excellent ADSR entry: http://www.ndisb.com/forums/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&img=7915

extase
04-06-2011, 05:20 PM
Great kit instead :) It's look likes Mario but is not Mario. I don't think anybody can have problem if you don't use original designs from the licence.
I work on a website and i've the some problems with rightfull owner.

Ambelleina
05-01-2011, 08:12 AM
Yay, that's the suggestion I posted quite some time ago but it was removed from the forums since the designer is not with GS. :(

Still love that kit though! :)

Ellie
05-01-2011, 07:07 PM
I did finish up my kit, in case anyone is still looking for one that's Mario-like:

http://store.gingerscraps.net/images/P/elash_pipedream.jpg (http://store.gingerscraps.net/Pipe-Dream.html)

Ambelleina
05-01-2011, 07:39 PM
How cute! My boyfriend and I dressed up as Mario and Luigi a couple of Halloweens ago and this is so perfect. On a side note that will probably only apply to me, I especially like that the princess is brunette and tan and the boy is blond/red and light because I'm Hispanic and my boyfriend is white--how fitting, LOL! (Supposed to be ironically funny, but on a deeper note it's so RARE to find at least what appears to be a multi-racial scrapping kit, all the little princesses are either very fair or very dark, I never see princesses that look like me! THANK YOU!)

GingerScraps
05-01-2011, 07:44 PM
Yay, that's the suggestion I posted quite some time ago but it was removed from the forums since the designer is not with GS. :(

Still love that kit though! :)

We were not trying to be difficult ambelleina, sorry if you took of that way. your always free to share a LO and then interested ladies can track down the kits suggested. It's just standard practice only give direct links to only our GS designers products.
Hope you understand :)
Ellies kit is sooooo cute!! You should check out all the layouts, they are awesome!

Ellie
05-01-2011, 10:55 PM
How cute! My boyfriend and I dressed up as Mario and Luigi a couple of Halloweens ago and this is so perfect. On a side note that will probably only apply to me, I especially like that the princess is brunette and tan and the boy is blond/red and light because I'm Hispanic and my boyfriend is white--how fitting, LOL! (Supposed to be ironically funny, but on a deeper note it's so RARE to find at least what appears to be a multi-racial scrapping kit, all the little princesses are either very fair or very dark, I never see princesses that look like me! THANK YOU!)
lol Yeah, I would get in deep trouble with some people in my life if I only made them in one color, so there are dolls of several different colorings. I even made some girl "Mario and Luigis". hehe

http://store.gingerscraps.net/images/D/elash_pipedreams1.jpg

Ambelleina
05-06-2011, 03:29 AM
Oh my goodness. :36_1_33:

Well, now I'll HAVE to buy this because when we dressed up, I was Mario!

LOOK! hehe hehe hehe

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/timelesslytian/Chris%20and%20Tina/HALLOWEEN2034ED.jpg

Ellie
05-06-2011, 03:34 AM
LOL That's AWESOME!!! Love that pic, Ambelleina!

GingerScraps
05-06-2011, 07:50 AM
Oh my goodness!! That is the CUTEST! I love it!

Shananigans
05-06-2011, 10:48 AM
OMG!! I love it!!

trina513
05-06-2011, 09:08 PM
LOL LOL LOL! That is AWESOME!! Can't wait to see the LO with the kit and pic ;)