PDA

View Full Version : Alternative options to beef

Laura
02-24-2011, 04:55 PM
With all of the great new recipes I've found on WW's I found something rather peculiar. At least to me anyway!
Chicken and fish are the two main types of protein they suggest. However, a lot of recipes call for ground turkey breast or chicken instead of ground beef! When I first saw that I was like What? They make that?! hehe I guess I never browsed the meat sections in the stores long enough to see the small portion where they sell this stuff.

Anyway, I came across a Turkey Meat Loaf Recipe that sounded really good. I made it, tried it, and I was right. It was REALLY good! I always loved when my Mom made it for me when I was little so I was skeptical at first only to realize that it doesn't taste too much different than beef. I guess my main point is that I thought I couldn't live without ground beef but I actually can! There are other alternatives out there I had no idea about.

Colleen
02-24-2011, 05:16 PM
Yeah, I have used ground turkey for ages. It kind of annoys my husband, but I am doing the cooking! ;)

I use ground turkey in place of beef in pretty much every dish. I will make shredded chicken tacos quite a bit too. YUM! :D

nutsaboutgabe
02-24-2011, 05:28 PM
I barely make anything with beef. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE chicken sausages (Al Fresco ones to be exact). We also eat Jenny-O Turkey burgers and I use ground chicken breast often when the recipe calls for beef. Just watch the packaging because ground turkey and ground chicken can have just as much fat as some beefs if it's not the breast of the turkey and chicken.

kl.winters
02-24-2011, 07:20 PM
We've been eating ground turkey for years so I almost never by ground beef. You just have to make sure when you purchase that you read the label because even though its ground turkey, it can have a lot of fat added so make sure you are looking for and buying the lean ground turkey. Our local meat market makes their own chicken and turkey brats and they are to die for. We love them in the summer on the grill. Oh gosh, now I'm hungry. Once I made the switch to lean ground turkey or chicken, I couldn't go back to ground beef because I was grossed out by all the fat that I found in the pan after browning. Yuck!

Anybody like veggie burgers? Or has had a really good veggie burger. I've never found one that I liked.

nutsaboutgabe
02-24-2011, 08:35 PM
Kathy, my favorite "veggie" burgers are the Morning Star ones. The Chik Patties are yummy too. They are NOT chicken, but who can tell!?

We've been eating ground turkey for years so I almost never by ground beef. You just have to make sure when you purchase that you read the label because even though its ground turkey, it can have a lot of fat added so make sure you are looking for and buying the lean ground turkey. Our local meat market makes their own chicken and turkey brats and they are to die for. We love them in the summer on the grill. Oh gosh, now I'm hungry. Once I made the switch to lean ground turkey or chicken, I couldn't go back to ground beef because I was grossed out by all the fat that I found in the pan after browning. Yuck!

Anybody like veggie burgers? Or has had a really good veggie burger. I've never found one that I liked.

charmedeebob
02-24-2011, 10:39 PM
I use ground turkey or chicken all the time now. I can't really tell the difference! Kathy my stepdad likes the Morningstar brand too, he can't eat many meats at all.

prettyingreen
02-24-2011, 11:30 PM
i switched to ground turkey last year trying to get my DH healthier, so the kids have kinda grown up on it, Gage wont eat ground beef, he prefers ground turkey. and when DH first tried it i didnt tell what i used he thought it was sausage lol so it works for him :)

kl.winters
02-25-2011, 12:16 AM
Morningstar that's a brand I'm familiar with so I'll give them a try. Thanks Barb and Char.

StarWarsFans
02-26-2011, 03:27 AM
The last time I tried ground turkey it was AWFUL. I'm guessing I just bought a bad batch, but it was really, really bad. So I need to get brave and give it another try. I know it's much better for my family.

charmedeebob
02-26-2011, 03:32 AM
Yuk Tricia! I can tell you one funny story about ground turkey :) one time I was making spaghetti sauce in the crock pot and I thought well the turkey is 99% fat free so I don't need to brown it first to drain off the fat, I'll just throw it in. Well let me tell you that is NOT the way to do it lol. It was a huge pot of inedible pink goo!! No matter what I did, the taste and texture were horrid lol! So now I make sure to brown it first!!

AmyP
02-28-2011, 03:20 PM
I purchased turkey meatballs before. My kids love them. I bet you could alter the turkey meatloaf into meatballs and even freeze them for eating small portions at a time.

sladd79054
03-01-2011, 11:45 AM
yum this all sounds so good. I am making tacos for dinner and was just going to use the 96% lean beef but maybe I will try the ground turkey or chicken.

KricketD
03-01-2011, 11:36 PM
I make tacos with ground turkey all the time. Season it up with some chili powder, cumin, onion powder, mmmmmmmmm! Yummmy!

charmedeebob
03-02-2011, 12:28 AM
man I want tacos for dinner now LOL

Twin Mom Scraps
01-02-2013, 12:52 PM
i personally LOVE GROUND CHICKEN...even better than ground turkey. anything i make that calls for ground beef, i use ground chicken. we also substitute ground beef with ground venison...way less fat and you can't really tell the difference in taste.

Ambelleina
01-03-2013, 08:14 PM
I'm a ground turkey girl, for sure. It's regularly available at Aldi in portioned frozen 1lb tubes and inexpensive. Do note it is a dry meat, so when I brown it, I use maybe 2 tsp of EVOO for non-stickiness and to add some moisture to the meat. I put all my spices (garlic, onion, cumin, oregano, chili, cayenne, s&p) when I'm cooking it, throw in some minced garlic (giant jar at Aldi in olive oil for cheap!) and it comes out tasting perfect. It's an easy sub for ground beef, which I no longer use at all, and cuts out a lot of fat. :)