PDA

View Full Version : I Blogged and Need Opinions!

Ellie
02-21-2011, 07:32 PM
I just posted on my blog about whether or not to include recolored items in a kit. I've also posted a poll, so if you have an opinion on the matter, would you mind checking it out and voting?

Do you like when there are recolored items in a kit? (http://ellielash.com/blog/archives/1289)

Thanks!
♥ Ellie

Laura
02-21-2011, 08:14 PM
I voted and left a comment ;)

nutsaboutgabe
02-21-2011, 08:39 PM
I voted, by my opinion is the same as Michaela so I didn't leave a comment.

marshmella
02-21-2011, 08:40 PM
I did too. Sorry my comment was so long winded. LOL!!!

trina513
02-21-2011, 08:56 PM
I left a comment :)

Most girls here know I have a strange addiction to recoloring things! LOL! So I would rather see you spend your time making more ellies and adding ribbons, buttons, and other fillers than recoloring ;) But thats my opinion! :)

Ellie
02-21-2011, 09:30 PM
Ooh, thanks so much for voting! I'm always interested to know what everyone thinks of stuff like this!

Trina, you'll be glad to know that adding a few more recolored items won't affect my kit sizes at all! What I plan to do is finish a kit as usual and then go back through and recolor the ones that might be useful in other colors. I think it was a good suggestion when Gina said that I should add recolored items in a separate folder and then people can choose whether or not they want to download them. Kind of like Flergs does with her shadowed elements, right?

trina513
02-21-2011, 09:42 PM
YEAH :) That's great! Thanks Ellie!!

sparagus
02-21-2011, 10:31 PM
Ooh, thanks so much for voting! I'm always interested to know what everyone thinks of stuff like this!

Trina, you'll be glad to know that adding a few more recolored items won't affect my kit sizes at all! What I plan to do is finish a kit as usual and then go back through and recolor the ones that might be useful in other colors. I think it was a good suggestion when Gina said that I should add recolored items in a separate folder and then people can choose whether or not they want to download them. Kind of like Flergs does with her shadowed elements, right?

I think that's a great suggestion, too. Best of both worlds :)

jenevang
02-21-2011, 10:53 PM
I agree w/ Michaela on this one, too. You don't want to pay more for a "big kit" to find that most of the elements are the same, just recolored... on the other hand you have to remember that not everyone who digiscraps knows how to recolor elements. I personally would love a good tutorial b/c other than the hand drawn elements, my recolored flowers, etc never look right. So, I tend to use a kit "as is".

And there are a lot of new digi gals out there. They will be attracted to a kit they don't have to "work" on, has a variety of colors and of course a variety of elements.

Love your goodies, btw, Ellie... beautiful.

PrettyPeaches
02-21-2011, 11:00 PM
I voted :)

AmyP
02-22-2011, 01:12 AM
I voted. I like the recolored elements. When I sit down to scrap I want everything all ready for me lol.

kl.winters
02-22-2011, 06:04 PM
I voted in your poll as well and left a comment because it's a great topic. As I was typing my response, I tought of something else that got me wondering. How about solid papers?

I've gone back and forth on this in my kits so I'm wondering what your opinion is on the solid papers in a kit. Do you like all the colors of the palette represented in the solid papers with the same texture or do you prefer all the colors but with different textures? I flip flop on this and tend to include most of colors with the same texture. Or perhaps you prefer to only have a few of the main colors that go with several of the patterened papers. Questions, questions, questions!

Ellie
02-22-2011, 06:12 PM
Thanks, Kathy!

I go back and forth about papers, too. If my palette has four or less colors then I usually just go ahead and make solids from all of them, but if there are more than that in my palette then I choose a light neutral, a dark color for contrast, and then one or two others. I often rotate 2 or 3 textures on all of my papers to tie them together, but switch up the overlays I use to roughen them up with, so that they don't look too much the same. Even if papers have the same basic texture I try to make sure they aren't exactly the same (rotate or flip the overlay, add different grunge overlays, etc). That's just my own preference, though!

Tree City
02-23-2011, 12:22 AM
I love solids of every main color in a kit; I use the solid papers to pull colors to recolor the elements rotfl! Just my humble opinion. :)

Ellie
02-23-2011, 01:27 AM
I love solids of every main color in a kit; I use the solid papers to pull colors to recolor the elements rotfl! Just my humble opinion. :)

I agree and I want to make solids in every color, but I don't want the kit to end up with too many papers and sometimes my palettes are quite large. I normally put 12 papers in a kit and if there were 6 solids I would only have room for 6 patterned papers. Would you feel at all cheated by getting half solids and half patterned? Or in that case, should I just add more papers? How many is too may?

Maybe I should just stop thinking about it. LOL The more I think about it, the more unsure I am about the way I do things. Maybe I should just be satisfied that some people like my kits the way they are?

nutsaboutgabe
02-23-2011, 09:59 AM
Ellie you are a superstar! You make beautiful kits and I think you should keep doing what you are doing as long as it makes you happy.

Maybe I should just stop thinking about it. LOL The more I think about it, the more unsure I am about the way I do things. Maybe I should just be satisfied that some people like my kits the way they are?

kl.winters
02-23-2011, 03:35 PM
I agree and I want to make solids in every color, but I don't want the kit to end up with too many papers and sometimes my palettes are quite large. I normally put 12 papers in a kit and if there were 6 solids I would only have room for 6 patterned papers. Would you feel at all cheated by getting half solids and half patterned? Or in that case, should I just add more papers? How many is too may?

Oh my gosh, I couldn't agree more. I over think what I'm doing all the time, which is why I'm such a slow designer. I've been asking myself for awhile, how many papers are too many? I've been slowly inching up in my count because I want to add a lot of variety when it comes to patterened papers but still cover the solids as well. I think after reading some of the discussion here, I'm going to stick with a good variety of patterened papers and then one neutral and several of the primary colors of the palette.

Good discussion everyone. Thank you for your comments and insight!