PDA

View Full Version : Learning to eat healthy

Laura
02-16-2011, 03:06 AM
Hey everyone... me again ;)

I've decided that I'm sick of being stagnant with my weight and so I joined weight watchers! I don't have a great deal to lose but I've set my goal and I'm determined to get to it! Today was my second day and I'll be honest... it's not as easy as I thought! I'm learning a whole new way to eat and I have a severe sweet tooth which doesn't help at all.

So, have any of you tried it before? If so, wanna share any tips to help curb my sweet tooth?! Any and all help would be great! :36_1_11:

charmedeebob
02-16-2011, 04:26 AM
I'm doing Take Shape for Life and I did it because of my terrible sweet tooth! Without doing the TSFL program, three tips I can give you are:
1. The first three days are the worst, you are in sugar withdrawals! Its a fact, don't laugh!
2. Increase your protein and lower your carbs overall, you will feel fuller longer between eating.
3. Eat every few hours small meals or snacks instead of 3 large meals a day. And ALWAYS eat breakfast!!!!

Sniksnak
02-16-2011, 08:13 AM
I know what you mean, Laura! I've been trying to loose some of my extra weight for queit some time but I just looove sweets to much. Now I'm following a program where I get a certain amount of kilojoules/calories per day dependent on how much I wish to loose and it helps me eat proper meals, not just candy. And the best part is that I usually have kilojoules/calories to eat a little chocolate or drink coca cola in the evening.

I would avice you to buy some chocolate with a high cocoa percentage (70% or more) and allow yourself to enjoy a little a day (two pieces or less). Don't buy anything else candylike - if it's not in your house, it's too much trouble to get it :) And NEVER enter a grocery when your hungry!

sladd79054
02-16-2011, 12:27 PM
I just started weight watchers on January 5 and unfortunately I do have a lot to lose like over a hundred pounds. It is very hard but it does get easier. I have lost 11 pounds so far but seem to be stuck on that number. I have been very impressed with weight watchers so far, I always stay for the meetings because they do help and hearing everyone else's stories are inspiring. When I first started I did not care for the meeting I was attending and I almost quit weight watchers but then a friend of mine suggested another place and I absolutely love it and look forward to going every week. I use the ww etools online and I use a lot of recipes from the site and do all my weight tracking online. I have to say I am terrible at tracking my points but I kind of know in my head what I am using. I have a sweet tooth as well and oh my goodness the weight watcher ice cream sandwiches are to die for, they are expensive but they are only a few points and so worth it. I am glad to see that someone else is doing the program and I wish you the best of luck.

Hey everyone... me again ;)

I've decided that I'm sick of being stagnant with my weight and so I joined weight watchers! I don't have a great deal to lose but I've set my goal and I'm determined to get to it! Today was my second day and I'll be honest... it's not as easy as I thought! I'm learning a whole new way to eat and I have a severe sweet tooth which doesn't help at all.

So, have any of you tried it before? If so, wanna share any tips to help curb my sweet tooth?! Any and all help would be great! :36_1_11:

twilightfades
02-16-2011, 01:50 PM
I'm not sure about how weight watchers work, but I've fought with my weight for ages. Sugar withdrawls are the worst for the first few days, but it does get better. My suggestion is to stay as busy as possible so you don't notice it quite as much! Find healthy foods which hit the same "sweet tooth" (or sometimes the body is actually craving the carb portion of the sweets, but they are pretty much just as bad.) For me I especially use raisins/raisins & peanuts mixed up or banana nut muffins. Switching from bleached flour things to whole wheat things is important too. As is watching your dairy intake. Last month I gave up most of my cheese and all of my milk because somehow my diet had gotten waaaaay too much of it in there.

Laura
02-16-2011, 05:09 PM
Wow, it's great to know I'm not alone!! Thanks for the tips everyone :)

Lisa- it's good to know I'm not alone in this feeling haha! I'm only my 3rd day in and I'm struggling a bit with feeling hungry. I am just hoping this gets better and I can eventually feel fuller longer. maybe we should swap ideas for meals and keep each other on track!?

sladd79054
02-16-2011, 06:53 PM
That would be awesome Laura. Also most fruits and vegetables don't cost you any points so if you feel hungry grab a piece of fruit. I am addicted to peaches right now and cherries. Greek yogurt I hear is good for you, I have one in the fridge now but haven't dared to try it yet. Of course I should be exercising but I am having a hard time finding an exercise that I enjoy, I honestly don't think it exists but I really need to try a little bit harder. I lost 4.2 pounds last week but had gained 4.2 pounds the week before so I broke even. Very frustrating. This is the hardest thing I have ever had to do.
Do you do the WW online?

Laura
02-16-2011, 07:28 PM
Yes I do it all online. I'm not much of a meeting person lol. It's like a game I play with myself though and it's become fun. Just need to get over the hungry feeling so my stomach better shrink SOON! haha

sladd79054
02-16-2011, 08:26 PM
exactly, it is like a game and you are right it is kind of fun. :)

Shananigans
02-17-2011, 09:46 PM
I started up on South Beach again. The thing I like about it is there is no weighing or measuring or counting. No carbs - and the first place you lose the weight is your stomach (my problem area -- well, one of my problem areas).

Carbs make you hungry, carbs make you crave the sugar

If you think about it - back in the olden days (1800s or so) there wasn't carbs. They ate off the land (meat, veggies).

So anyway, that is what I'm doing. I should be at my goal my thanksgiving....I hope...lol

charmedeebob
02-17-2011, 10:36 PM
We need a spot in the forum for Getting Healthy or Healthy Baking lol.... And then one of us needs to remember to start a check in thread every week!!!

photom
02-18-2011, 03:12 AM
Greek yogurt I hear is good for you, I have one in the fridge now but haven't dared to try it yet.
I actually just heard about this a few weeks ago while at the store. (We don't do yogurt much.) The first few bites were really weird, but it does start to grow on you. Actually, my husband got addicted to it, so when we went to Costco, and they had one, he jumped on it. However, that one tastes more like sour cream! You actually use it in place of sour cream. I just need to find a few recipes- like Indian recipes- that use it. I think if I used it like sour cream and not yogurt, I might be able to handle it a little better!

Good luck on your goals, ladies! Every few years, I start out my progress with a cleanse. I can go about 2-4 weeks on it, and get a good head start on weight control. That REALLY cuts back the cravings! Afterwords, though, it's like no dairy, no meat. Raw and unprocessed. However, after trying to have a baby for over 5 years, then going on that cleanse for 4 weeks, I did happen to get pregnant! The first few days are TERRIBLE! (Give me a double cheeseburger with supersized side of fries!) However, after the first 4 days, then everything is easy easy!

Hopefully, I'll be able to lose some weight there with you guys. I have tried really hard to give up the candy, but I have a BAD sweet tooth! Guess I better start taking my candy out to share with everyone else, huh? (ie- none left for me! :) )

sladd79054
02-18-2011, 12:06 PM
my new favorite is Greek yogurt, I finally decided to take it out of the fridge and try it and it was the best thing in the world. I don't do the plain stuff, I have to have the fruit even though that costs me more points on weight watchers but it is twice the protein and 0 fat and it is so thick and creamy at least the brown cow brand, absolutely delicious. I actually thought in the beginning of the year or end of last year that there was a weight loss thread?? Maybe I am wrong but I think it is a good idea to have a place to talk about our weight loss journeys. :)

StarWarsFans
02-20-2011, 04:32 AM
I lost 30 lbs. and have kept it off just by eliminating yeast products (so pretty much all raised breads) and sugar from my diet. I use corn tortillas as a bread substitute. Once you learn how to steam a corn tortilla just right in the skillet, you can use it for anything! I use ithem for my buns on hot dogs and hamburgers, for breakfast burritos, for basic sandwiches, and even for PB&Js.

I've learned to turn to fruit when I have a sugar craving. But when I just really, really need a sweet tooth fix, I use Truvia in place of sugar. It is all natural (comes from a plant) and has zero calories. It is an "acquired" taste, but once you get used to it you'll think actual sugar tastes funny. Really!

Changing your eating lifestyle is definitely hard, but worth it in the long run. Drink lots of water and get plenty of sleep too. It's amazing how much those 2 things can affect your weight. Good luck!

photom
02-20-2011, 04:46 AM
Ok, so I'm going to have to check out this point system thing, because I tried the cleanse and didn't even make it through day 2! Yikes! My husband lost over 50 lbs just by cutting out gluten! Also, he really did well when he cut out his meat. I think he started his weight loss with about 30-40 pounds by cutting out that and almost all dairy! (His highest was about 310, now he is about 225!) It has been so hard for him to cut out all the wheat products, but also he has had to cut out corn, too! He still used yeast, but it is in his rice/quinoa/millet/(sometimes flaxseed) bread. It really amazes me on how dependent we are on wheat! Sometimes I feel like I could handle it, but then I just look at him and go right on eating my pasta dinner!

Laura
02-20-2011, 09:02 PM
my new favorite is Greek yogurt, I finally decided to take it out of the fridge and try it and it was the best thing in the world. I don't do the plain stuff, I have to have the fruit even though that costs me more points on weight watchers but it is twice the protein and 0 fat and it is so thick and creamy at least the brown cow brand, absolutely delicious. I actually thought in the beginning of the year or end of last year that there was a weight loss thread?? Maybe I am wrong but I think it is a good idea to have a place to talk about our weight loss journeys. :)

How come the fruit costs you points? I thought it didn't count?

Laura
02-20-2011, 09:15 PM
I agree with Char! Maybe if enough people are interested we can start a thread for healthy living/cooking?

Anyway, today was my weekly weigh in... my very first! I am happy to report that I've lost 4lbs! I know not every week is going to be like this but it's making me want to keep doing it! Even a pound a week is success in my book! And the best part of it is that I'm not starving (anymore! now that my stomach has shrunk) and I'm still eating the things I love. The only thing different is that I've switched out the usual candy and chips as snacks for cucumber, apples, clementines etc. For example here is what I've eaten this last week....
Tues:
coffee w/ sugar and cream
fiber one bar salad w/ ranch
cucumber slices
cooked veg and beef soup
slice of bread n butter
apple
salad w/ ranch
mini pretzels

Wed:
coffee w/ sugar and cream
banana
salami sandwich
salad w/ ranch
cucumber slices
turkey meat loaf and au gratin potatoes
2 chocolate chip cookies

Fri:
Coffee w/ cream n sugar
apple w/ ff caramel dip
mini pretzels
cucumber slices
Italian skillet chicken w/ penne pasta
2 chocoalte chip cookies

Like I said, this is just an example of what I've been eating. Last night I made some awesome cheesy chicken enchiladas !YUM!

Ellie
02-20-2011, 10:25 PM
Oh, just the thread I was looking for! lol I totally need to get back on my eating plan, I've been screwing around with my diet and gaining weight since Thanksgiving. :36_1_4:

I'm doing Body for Life/Transformation.

charmedeebob
02-20-2011, 11:03 PM
I weighed myself this morning....and I am 0.2lb away from breaking the 200lb mark...I can't wait! I know its just a number, but psychologically, its HUGE for me, I haven't weighed less than that in YEARS!!!!

Laura
02-20-2011, 11:16 PM
:clap:YAY CHAR!!!! That is great! Keep up the good work!:36_1_11::confetti::multistars::woohoo:

Ellie
02-21-2011, 03:20 AM
Congrats, Char! That is awesome!!! :36_1_11:

charmedeebob
02-21-2011, 03:47 AM
thanks guys :)

sladd79054
02-22-2011, 10:09 PM
I just re-read what I wrote, and it didn't make sense,lol. What I meant was I don't like plain yogurt so I have to have flavored yogurt. I love greek yogurt which is more points than regular yogurt. No fruits don't cost you any points. I hope that makes better sense. congrats with your weight loss that is fantastic. I am on my 7th week and got weighed in last night and I had gained 1.4 so I am not happy about it, but I will do better this week, it is very frustrating.

How come the fruit costs you points? I thought it didn't count?

sladd79054
02-22-2011, 10:15 PM
That is awesome Char!!!! My goal is to get below that number also but it is going to take me awhile, but it will happen eventually.

charmedeebob
02-22-2011, 10:17 PM
Hang in there Lisa...I hate weeks when you gain or only barely lose, its so disappointing....but try to think about all the healthy food you put into your body this week instead of all the junk that you (or often me LOL) were putting in there! Next week you might lose double, sometimes thats how it works :)

terimayo
02-22-2011, 11:14 PM
I may have already shared this, but I started on a low carb diet back in March of 2010. Shortly after that I got an app on my iphone called C25K. Its a running program designed to get one off the Couch and running a 5K in 8 weeks. I had never Jogged before and am 53 years young. I lost a total of 40 pounds but have gained about 8 back over the holidays and our recent trip to Hawaii. I was up to running at my peak, 4 miles 3 or 4 times a week! I am still a avid jogger and now have my hubby running with me. We try to jog at least 3 times a week. I have gone from a 16 to a 10. If I can do it any of you youngsters can! I really recommend the app. I also use a program to track my miles ran along with the time so now, I can work on increasing my pace as I continue my trek to great health! I'm wanting to get these cool shoes.. any of yall heard of vibrams 5fingers shoes? My son has them and I think they are on my wish list! Live Healthy! :)T

charmedeebob
02-22-2011, 11:48 PM
Wow Teri that is so amazing!! Good for you!!

Laura
02-24-2011, 04:04 AM
Teri I have that!!! I actually never used it though :( I should and now that you've mentioned it, I might just try it out!

charmedeebob
02-24-2011, 04:49 AM
I moved this thread.... to our new "Healthy Kitchen" folder in the forum, for all healthy related topics....we are all gonna get skinny together ladies!

marshmella
02-24-2011, 02:13 PM
I haven't read all through this thread yet. I have been learning to eat healthy for the past couple months. I did a 24 day challenge recently and lost 6.5 lbs :) I don't think being skinny means you are healthy though. I am not a big girl. I started working out last november. I have never worked out much in my life. Pretty unactive all together. I ate fast food at least 5 times a week prior to this challenge which I started in january. I ate whatever I felt like, but never over did it so I didn't gain too much wieght. I never ate breakfast and would eat minimal for lunch, then just eat garbage at night.

So anyway... I am learning how to eat right, when to eat and what to eat. Along with excersize. I am loving it. I have never felt better in my life and I can see MUSCLES! WHoo hoo.. Anyway... going to have to read through this thread and I am looking forward to this and being able to share and read what everyone else is doing :)

charmedeebob
02-24-2011, 03:41 PM
thats fantastic Michaela! I agree that skinny does not equal healthy...I know plenty of really unhealthy skinny people!
with all that exercise you're gonna have a 6 pack :D

marshmella
02-24-2011, 04:29 PM
thats fantastic Michaela! I agree that skinny does not equal healthy...I know plenty of really unhealthy skinny people!
with all that exercise you're gonna have a 6 pack :D

I skimmed through this thread earlier and CONGRATS Char!:clap: Keep going!!! Isn't it the best feeling to know that YOU did it? I totally have sugar teeth too. Not just 1 tooth, all of them. I take advocare products and that have these AWESOME chocolate meal replacement shakes. I am not a breakfast person so this is great to get my chocolate fix AND get myself some nutrients in the morning too.

I recently found my obliques! I can feel them, but can't see them. LOL! I can feel the muscles in my abs getting harder, but there is still a big layer of fat on top so you can't see anything YET!

kl.winters
02-24-2011, 06:12 PM
That is awesome Char!!!! My goal is to get below that number also but it is going to take me awhile, but it will happen eventually.

Lisa - you can do it! I was on WW and worked out at Curves 7 years ago and lost over 100 lbs. I was not a model WW, I didn't track my points, and I didn't attend meetings because at the time I was working full-time and going to school part-time but it worked for me because I had to face the weekly weigh-in and I was doing it with 2 co-workers so it kind of became a competition. I love WW!!

Unfortunatley, with a lot of personal stress and a bum knee, I have gained about half back so maybe this thread will get me inspired again.

sladd79054
02-24-2011, 07:06 PM
Thanks Kathy, I am hoping I can do it. That is awesome that you lost so much weight on ww.

charmedeebob
02-25-2011, 12:15 AM
Thanks michEla.. It does feel awesome :) I'm wearing pants today that haven't fit for years. :) my massage therapist uses Advocare and she loves them, says she feels so good on them. If you can feel the muscles then they are there lol... They will show up soon :D
Kathy that is amazing!! It is hard to stay on the healthy path when there is so much stress.... It's so easy to just grab junk when your mind is focussed on other things. I hope we can inspire you too. Maybe just start at home and let us be your "competition" :)

Colleen
02-25-2011, 02:13 PM
That would be awesome Laura. Also most fruits and vegetables don't cost you any points so if you feel hungry grab a piece of fruit. I am addicted to peaches right now and cherries. Greek yogurt I hear is good for you, I have one in the fridge now but haven't dared to try it yet. Of course I should be exercising but I am having a hard time finding an exercise that I enjoy, I honestly don't think it exists but I really need to try a little bit harder. I lost 4.2 pounds last week but had gained 4.2 pounds the week before so I broke even. Very frustrating. This is the hardest thing I have ever had to do.
Do you do the WW online?I have tried the Greek Yogurt, and I think it is good! :)

Be careful with fruits - they aren't free points, but they are usually lower. I think bananas are pretty high though! I think most green veggies are 0 points - green beans, lettuce... The major issue is the meat! I did weight watches a few years ago, and it is really easy if you have no meat in your diet! ;)

Colleen
02-25-2011, 02:20 PM
I just re-read what I wrote, and it didn't make sense,lol. What I meant was I don't like plain yogurt so I have to have flavored yogurt. I love greek yogurt which is more points than regular yogurt. No fruits don't cost you any points. I hope that makes better sense. congrats with your weight loss that is fantastic. I am on my 7th week and got weighed in last night and I had gained 1.4 so I am not happy about it, but I will do better this week, it is very frustrating.I am confused. When I did WW last, fruits did cost points. I wonder if they changed things?

Colleen
02-25-2011, 02:25 PM
I wish you all continued motivation to meet your goals! This is a hard task to undertake, and I am very impressed with what you guys have all accomplished so far!

Pretty soo we are moving (again :P), but we are going to be close to a gym. :) I am hoping to get signed up there. I miss swimming laps and lifting weights. :)

marshmella
02-25-2011, 02:42 PM
YAY CHAR!!!!!!!! That is so... awesome you got into a smaller size. WHOOT!!!:36_1_11:

Colleen, WW changed a lot of things recently. They are going for more healthier options.

Colleen
02-25-2011, 06:06 PM
YAY CHAR!!!!!!!! That is so... awesome you got into a smaller size. WHOOT!!!:36_1_11:

Colleen, WW changed a lot of things recently. They are going for more healthier options.Well, that explains my confusion then! ;) It has been a while since I did it though. Try 5 plus years ago! ;) LOL

KricketD
03-01-2011, 03:35 AM
I did weight watcher's 11 years ago, lost 40 lbs, and then got pregnant. I had that baby, went on a lo carb diet, lost the baby weight (another 40 lbs) and then got pregnant. I really need to loose 40lbs again, (I'm a little worried I will get pregnant again!) I have started weight watchers again (online) and need to loose weight for my health. (I have high blood pressure) I would love to be involved in this "support group". I have a tendency to stress eat, and the last couple of years have been very stressful (not good for the blood pressure either!) This could be fun! Congrats on all who have lost so far! Good for you!

charmedeebob
03-01-2011, 06:28 AM
welcome to the gang Kristin!
that's funny how you keep getting pregnant when you lose the weight...i'd watch out LOL :)
I'm glad you're joining us on our quest to get healthy!

sladd79054
03-01-2011, 10:39 AM
yes Colleen, at the beginning of the year ww has a new program called points plus so the points calculation has changed, and now most fruits and veggies are free, except potatoes and avocado and a few others.